THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Any Way to Change Car Shut Off Procedures?

01-19-2017, 07:51 PM   #23
harma24
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i Glacier Silver

Garage List
2017 BMW M240i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by B_Rice View Post
Why wouldn't you just lock your car?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpnh View Post
This is what I do.....not about to leave this car unlocked anywhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtmax500 View Post
Mine turns everything off when I lock the doors. Why not just do that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DF View Post
I do that. But with the top down and getting gas people stare. There is only so much ke$ha people can take during a full up
First, I fully agree about locking the car if you are leaving the car.

Second, no one should listen to ke$ha.

Now for my point: there are times when I am sitting in the car and want to be able to turn everything off. However, as a habit, if I am sitting in the car, my foot is on the brake pedal. So, I have on a number of occations turned the engine bavk on with a second press rather than turning everything off. On those (rare) occations, it can be annoying.

For the rest of the time, just lock the door when you get out (and don't listen to ke$ha)!
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2017, 08:03 PM   #24
PYTran
Rep
Drives: Alpine White M240i

I can see where you're coming from. When I used to live in a house, I never locked my car in my garage because it would require me to have my key if I needed to grab something from my car.

I had the same annoyance with the radio staying on so I just coded the radio to shut off when the door opens and now, all is well.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2017, 06:54 PM   #25
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT Mineral White M235i

I coded mine to behave differently. Press the stop button and the doors unlock. Single pull of the door handle and the radio turns off. Locking the car is optional at that point, but comfort access makes it easy enough.

6MT Mineral White on black M235i coupe
Build thread
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2017, 07:15 PM   #26
raleedy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i 6-speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhuffman View Post
All good suggestions. Zoomigo, your process flow is excellent, and I may need to come up with a checklist like that, I just never have had To do such a thing in any other car ive owned.
I have reservations about a sequence that closes the garage door before the engine is shut off. With AutoStartStop enabled, the engine shutoff step could easily be overlooked. If the garage is attached to a dwelling, the results could be deadly.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2017, 07:18 PM   #27
raleedy
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikcachu View Post
You can also code to unlock doors on engine off so no double pull too
You can also configure the doors in iDrive to remain unlocked. That's my choice.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2017, 07:21 PM   #28
raleedy
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCaptain View Post
Just think of it this way:

The first press puts the car into park, so it's not really an increased number of actions that you have the take because it replaces the need to put it into P. Instead of pressing one button to put it into park, and then pressing another button somewhere else to shut the car off, you just press one single button twice.
this applies to automatics only. Same as the brake press stuff. With a clutch, there are different ways to screw up: (a) clutch in for second press: engine restarts; (b) clutch out before first press: kills the engine if it happens to be in gear. Either one makes you feel like a dolt.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2017, 07:27 PM   #29
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by raleedy View Post
Quote:
You can also configure the doors in iDrive to remain unlocked. That's my choice.
That's true but some people feel safer driving with doors locked
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2017, 02:07 AM   #30
PlayItLoud
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i xdrive, 2016 228i x

Geez all this over turning the car off. I just get used to driving my new 2 series. Winter sets in with massive amounts of snow. I switch to driving my Hummer and spend two minutes looking for the stupid start button. Then realizing in exasperation it requires a real analog key. Spend next two minutes back in the house looking for the bloody key. Can't find keys but see keys to Jeep. Give up, grab keys to my Jeep TJ. All analog right down to a window crank. Jump in and freeze my butt off all the way to where I'm going. Cursing the bloody button all the way.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2017, 07:18 AM   #31
hhuffman
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayItLoud View Post
Geez all this over turning the car off. I just get used to driving my new 2 series. Winter sets in with massive amounts of snow. I switch to driving my Hummer and spend two minutes looking for the stupid start button. Then realizing in exasperation it requires a real analog key. Spend next two minutes back in the house looking for the bloody key. Can't find keys but see keys to Jeep. Give up, grab keys to my Jeep TJ. All analog right down to a window crank. Jump in and freeze my butt off all the way to where I'm going. Cursing the bloody button all the way.
Where's the like button?! The only downside to that statement is that your Jeep isn't a modern $50,000 car. We DEMAND for our modern $50,000 cars to do all of the work for us. This is the last stop before our car drives us to work autonomously.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2017, 02:56 PM   #32
BPC
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i Convertible

Quote:
This is what I did. The two code items work together nicely:

(1) car unlocks when you hit the stop button on engine (so no need for the annoying double pull on the handle so long as the engine is off)

(2) raidio turns off when you open the door.

Bam! Now all you have to do is turn the car off and then pull the door handle once. Just like in the old days.
Appreciate 1
RoundelM31822.50
      01-23-2017, 08:00 PM   #33
mrfattbill
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 EB M235i xDrive

I have mine coded to unlock the doors upon shut off but I left the radio playing option as I enjoy listening to it while pumping gas, which is also nice if I have the kid or passengers with me.

Bill
Appreciate 1
RoundelM31822.50
      01-23-2017, 09:41 PM   #34
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPC View Post
This is what I did. The two code items work together nicely:

(1) car unlocks when you hit the stop button on engine (so no need for the annoying double pull on the handle so long as the engine is off)

(2) raidio turns off when you open the door.

Bam! Now all you have to do is turn the car off and then pull the door handle once. Just like in the old days.
Appreciate 1
RoundelM31822.50
      01-24-2017, 08:09 AM   #35
steve@codemybimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: 2020 G20 320i M Sport

Garage List
I have mine coded to unlock doors as soon as the engine is turned off and also to turn off the radio and accessories when I open the driver side door.
Online Store | Remote Coding Package| ID6 Retrofit for almost all F Chassis BMWs
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2017, 08:33 AM   #36
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentZero View Post
I coded mine to behave differently. Press the stop button and the doors unlock. Single pull of the door handle and the radio turns off. Locking the car is optional at that point, but comfort access makes it easy enough.
Oh, I also have my seat coded to slide backwards a bit when I open the door. It'll then slide back into place when I get into the car and press the start button.

Build thread
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2017, 11:44 PM   #37
PlayItLoud
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i xdrive, 2016 228i x

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhuffman View Post
Where's the like button?! The only downside to that statement is that your Jeep isn't a modern $50,000 car. We DEMAND for our modern $50,000 cars to do all of the work for us. This is the last stop before our car drives us to work autonomously.
Neither my 228i xDrive or my M240 xDrive will do this. Button not required.

Neither will they make coffee and have it sat ready for me in the morning... darn
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-25-2017, 03:52 PM   #38
3rdcoast228i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i Msport

I really don't miss the button when I get into my jeep. But at least my JK has remote start and its already running when I get in.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2017, 02:38 AM   #39
omera60
First Lieutenant
Turkey
Rep
Drives: 218i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPC View Post
My 2016 218i does this out of the factory without coding. When I stop the engine it will unlock all the locks.

My routine is as follows:

-Pull in my spot
-Put the car in park
-Check the clock for 2 min wait time before shutting down
-Put the radio on mute
-Turn off the lights
-Check the time to see if the 2 mins is up
-Press the stop button once
-Open the door without pulling twice
-Leave the car and lock it with holding down the lock button to fold the mirrors and to close if any windows are left open
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2017, 07:31 AM   #40
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by omera60 View Post
My 2016 218i does this out of the factory without coding. When I stop the engine it will unlock all the locks.

My routine is as follows:

-Pull in my spot
-Put the car in park
-Check the clock for 2 min wait time before shutting down
-Put the radio on mute
-Turn off the lights
-Check the time to see if the 2 mins is up
-Press the stop button once
-Open the door without pulling twice
-Leave the car and lock it with holding down the lock button to fold the mirrors and to close if any windows are left open
Guess the double pull is an annoying US thing? Why the 2 min cool down? I didn't think things like turbo timers were needed anymore.

Build thread
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2017, 08:29 AM   #41
omera60
First Lieutenant
Turkey
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentZero View Post
Guess the double pull is an annoying US thing? Why the 2 min cool down? I didn't think things like turbo timers were needed anymore.
Might be, maybe some other members from outside the US can confirm this?
I've been doing it since I got the car, my dad advised me to do it and besides the head of BMW Turkey's Technical department told me to do so as well. Apparently it needs it so the pump can pump the turbo with cool oil before shutting down because once the car is turned off the turbo will be left hot with no cooling factor other then the outside air temp. He said they come across really messed up ones along the road so in the long term it's better. Plus I don't mind sitting extra 2 mins in that beauty
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2017, 12:28 PM   #42
TheCaptain
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: m235i x 'vert

Other than extreme situations, a 2-minute cool down is completely unnecessary and just a waste of fuel. First, if it was an important procedure that should be followed, they would mention it in the owner's manual. Second, these cars come with auto start-stop. If turning off a hot engine was going to cause any significant damage to the turbo, then they would not have a feature that shuts off the engine the moment the car comes to a stop. Third, these cars have electric water pumps. They can pump as little or as much coolant as necessary to keep the engine at the ideal operating temperature. Along with the improvements in oil technology, this contributes to the reason that a long warm-up period when you start the car is also unnecessary.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2017, 01:16 PM   #43
omera60
First Lieutenant
Turkey
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCaptain View Post
Other than extreme situations, a 2-minute cool down is completely unnecessary and just a waste of fuel. First, if it was an important procedure that should be followed, they would mention it in the owner's manual. Second, these cars come with auto start-stop. If turning off a hot engine was going to cause any significant damage to the turbo, then they would not have a feature that shuts off the engine the moment the car comes to a stop. Third, these cars have electric water pumps. They can pump as little or as much coolant as necessary to keep the engine at the ideal operating temperature. Along with the improvements in oil technology, this contributes to the reason that a long warm-up period when you start the car is also unnecessary.
It is mentioned on mine, it states;

"Component Protection • After-running of electric coolant pump = improved heat dissipation from engine switch off point. Allows protection of turbochargers by reduced oil coking during heat soak."

Letting the turbos cool, either via an easy run for a few kilometers or a short idle before shutdown hurts nothing and adds protection. Better safe than sorry...
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2017, 07:52 PM   #44
crabu2
Captain
Rep
Drives: Truck and ...

Can it be coded so one pull of the handle unlocks and opens the door?