THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications rear diffuser replacements?

01-15-2017, 07:46 PM   #1
SeanE
Private
Rep
Drives: '16 m235i

rear diffuser replacements?

So I was in an unfamiliar residential location backing out of a driveway in the dark and CRUNCH, bashed the plastic gray rear valence piece on my alpine white M235i. Rather than replace the stock (and boring) unit I figure I'll use something aftermarket.

I'm fairly conservative when it comes to appearance mods, so I'm looking for something that at least looks functional but not like it just rolled off the racetrack.

Any suggestions?
Appreciate 1
      01-15-2017, 08:35 PM   #2
Beartato
Major
Rep
Drives: M235i

M Performance version.

Appreciate 0
      01-16-2017, 07:46 AM   #3
SeanE
Private
Rep
Drives: '16 m235i

Yea thx, that is most likely choice, seems like they can be had for about $400. Seems like that is the cheapest option.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2017, 08:08 AM   #4
Beartato
Major
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanE View Post
Yea thx, that is most likely choice, seems like they can be had for about $400. Seems like that is the cheapest option.
If you're so inclined you can order it from iND color-matched to your car too.

http://ind-distribution.com/ind/cate...m235i-diffuser
Appreciate 1
SCCThree808.50
      01-16-2017, 09:22 AM   #5
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Can the m performance diffuser be wrapped in a faux carbon fiber look ?

Is the shape too complex for a wrap?

How durable and long lasting are wraps?

Or is there a painting technique that gives the look of carbon fiber?
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2017, 10:18 PM   #6
42395_skyline
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
Can the m performance diffuser be wrapped in a faux carbon fiber look ?

Is the shape too complex for a wrap?

How durable and long lasting are wraps?

Or is there a painting technique that gives the look of carbon fiber?
I have seen them wrapped before in pics and they look fine from the pictures. The carbon look hides imperfections pretty well so it would be hard to tell if there were small imperfections.

I have read they are pretty durable.

You could try getting them hydrodipped. Look it up, it's in a way similar to paint but also similar to a wrap.

Take this all with a grain of salt as it's all based off of what I have read online and I have no personal experience.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2017, 11:54 PM   #7
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42395_skyline View Post
I have seen them wrapped before in pics and they look fine from the pictures. The carbon look hides imperfections pretty well so it would be hard to tell if there were small imperfections.

You could try getting them hydrodipped. Look it up, it's in a way similar to paint but also similar to a wrap.

Take this all with a grain of salt as it's all based off of what I have read online and I have no personal experience.
Interesting.
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2017, 01:53 AM   #8
MichalM240i
First Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: M8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 42395_skyline View Post

Interesting.
Thanks
I have ordered JC Sportline rear diffuser in this design.
Was about $210 and looks awesome (hopefully... but it's not shipped yet... (chinesse new year)).

Edit: I won't have that weird looking metal grill in the little "breathing" parts
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-28-2017, 05:46 PM   #9
Ace604
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C

On the other end of the spectrum, what are the most aggressive diffuser options out there?
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2017, 09:40 PM   #10
SDKevin
Cone Killer
Rep
Drives: 2024 M240i, Ducati 1299S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace604 View Post
On the other end of the spectrum, what are the most aggressive diffuser options out there?
I'm also interested in this.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2017, 08:46 PM   #11
eclipes
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 228i Msport

Where did you order it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichalM240i View Post
Was about $210 and looks awesome (hopefully... but it's not shipped yet... (chinesse new year)).

Edit: I won't have that weird looking metal grill in the little "breathing" parts
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2017, 02:17 AM   #12
MichalM240i
First Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipes View Post
Where did you order it?

Quote:

Alibaba, received it yesterday, unfortunately I'm currently out of the country so haven't seen it yet
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2017, 03:35 PM   #13
Tamim3
Private
Rep
Drives: GT-R

Quote:

Where did you order this?
It looks like the one the guys ordered from Japan when they did a GB.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2017, 03:36 PM   #14
Tamim3
Private
Rep
Drives: GT-R

Lol I see others are intrested also. Please upload pictures and tell us about the fitment and quality.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2017, 04:54 AM   #15
MichalM240i
First Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamim3 View Post
Lol I see others are intrested also. Please upload pictures and tell us about the fitment and quality.
Hi! Finally received my diffuser. Just gave it a test install and it isn't bad actually! I'm quite picky person with eye for a detail and this really didn't look bad!
I think that stock diffuser is 8,8/10 in fitment and this one could be somewhere around 7,5/10 I'd say.
Please note that I was installing diffuser in the night and haven't put screws into also - diffuser was in a black matte basic paint (I'm getting it painted it in mineral white on the sides and gloss black center).
Diffuser is now shipped to my mate who's running paint shop.
Check some pictures.

This is the link:
https://m.alibaba.com/product/604538...977&redirect=1[IMG][/IMG]

Edit: pictures are in the post under
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2017, 04:56 AM   #16
MichalM240i
First Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep

Pictures of diffuser:
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      03-03-2017, 09:28 AM   #17
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

Quote:
Hi! Finally received my diffuser. Just gave it a test install and it isn't bad actually! I'm quite picky person with eye for a detail and this really didn't look bad!
I think that stock diffuser is 8,8/10 in fitment and this one could be somewhere around 7,5/10 I'd say.
Please note that I was installing diffuser in the night and haven't put screws into also - diffuser was in a black matte basic paint (I'm getting it painted it in mineral white on the sides and gloss black center).
Check some pictures.

This is the link:

How did your paint job and installation go with this diffuser? Are you still happy with the quality? I'm thinking of ordering one myself.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2017, 11:23 AM   #18
MichalM240i
First Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpsRider View Post
Quote:
Check some pictures.

This is the link:

How did your paint job and installation go with this diffuser? Are you still happy with the quality? I'm thinking of ordering one myself.
I don't have it yet mate. Sadly it has stuck in my friends paint shop (but all over my country haha). They had few problems with the base paint code so had to had to put a kit all over it and than paint it. It will be painted on the sides in body color (mineral white) and center in black. And should have it later next week, hopefully.
Fitment wasn't bad at all when I tried it after it arrived.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2017, 11:53 AM   #19
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I don't have it yet mate. Sadly it has stuck in my friends paint shop (but all over my country haha). They had few problems with the base paint code so had to had to put a kit all over it and than paint it. It will be painted on the sides in body color (mineral white) and center in black. And should have it later next week, hopefully.
My car is MW too, I'd be going for the exact same combo...unless I get the Carbon model and just paint the ends. I don't know what you mean by a "kit". Did the paint not match or did it not stick to the plastic? I am afraid of trying to match MW. I have a small ding in my bumper so it is a good excuse to have both pieces painted together.
Good luck on your paint job!
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2017, 02:40 PM   #20
MichalM240i
First Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpsRider View Post
Quote:
My car is MW too, I'd be going for the exact same combo...unless I get the Carbon model and just paint the ends. I don't know what you mean by a "kit". Did the paint not match or did it not stick to the plastic? I am afraid of trying to match MW. I have a small ding in my bumper so it is a good excuse to have both pieces painted together.
Good luck on your paint job!
By the "kit" I mean sort of base code that is used you have deep scratches on the surface or the base code from factory is a bit crap. And that was the case.. When ever they tried to put the filling spray it made a weird bubbles and dots. So if you gat the FRP one, have it kitted first not to waste your time.
Actually a friend of mine ordered a carbon fiber one. He is in this topic too - "Tamim3". I think he hasn't received yet.
I have gone with plastic because I will be putting ///M carbon fiber exhaust tips on and that would be too much carbon for me .
My car is 3 months old so the paint is "brand new". It should be problem for them to match the paint. But yeah, MW are pain in the ass. Father had it on Z4 and after 1,5 he wasn't able to get perfectly matched rear spoiler.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2017, 03:43 AM   #21
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep

Thank you for that valuable tip. I know what you mean about then carbon fiber tips on carbon fiber. I think I might go for the BMS black chrome tips. I wonder if the Carbon Fiber finish needs paint prep also?
I'm looking forward to any info you might have on installation, I've read that some 3m double sided tape is necessary. I want to drill as few holes as possible.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2017, 06:54 AM   #22
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep

Regarding painting Fiber Reinforced Plastic (FRP) parts, I found this article which makes the job seem so complicated. It seems that painting carbon fiber resin finishes is not really much easier. I hope your paint job goes well.
http://www.searchautoparts.com/abrn/...parts?page=0,0

Last edited by AlpsRider; 03-05-2017 at 07:02 AM..
Appreciate 0