THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications 3 Strip Grill

01-18-2017, 10:31 PM   #23
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

A mobius strip of bad taste?
Appreciate 1
      01-19-2017, 10:11 AM   #24
3.0L
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M235i, 20k miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post
And it's tacky. But hey that's like, just my opinion.
Nothing new, really. I recall back in the muscle-car era ('60's) where Detroit was big on badges, particularly on their more powerful cars. Typically, there would be a badge on the left and right front fenders that designated what was lurking under the hood. In cubic inches, of course.

And more on topic, I recall a few cars in town where the owner removed the original badges and then replaced them with something more impressive; i.e., a "bigger" engine. Funny thing was, it didn't fool any of the other muscle car drivers, who were mostly paying attention. Ha!

What ever floats your boat, I guess.

When writing your life's plan, use a pencil with an eraser
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2017, 07:48 PM   #25
Deutsche-Broke
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pparana View Post
to people who know bmws it says:

here comes that guy.

to people who don't know bmws it says:

here comes that guy.

But this is from a guy who debaged the whole car, including the brake calipers. which says:

here comes that guy.
All apologies for the thread derail.....

Well put..

I struggled with the stigma of the BMW brand until I drove them, and was immediately hooked..

But I, like many of you must, still deal with the backlash against the, "Popped Collar" crowd before me. Like letting someone go first at a four way stop and they flip you off, or my favorite, pedestrians that spit on the car at crosswalks...

Neat, civilized stuff like that..
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2017, 09:04 PM   #26
jmwilson125
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

Quote:

here comes that guy.

here comes that guy.

But this is from a guy who debaged the whole car, including the brake calipers. which says:

here comes that guy.
Haha I guess I must be one of those guys then. I just like how it looks don't care too much what others think. I've also debadged my car. I don't really care much for flashing the m around. I've even thought it would be funny to rebadge the car a 228i

Last edited by jmwilson125; 01-19-2017 at 09:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2017, 08:57 AM   #27
p912guy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i Convertible

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

here comes that guy.

here comes that guy.

here comes that guy.
All apologies for the thread derail.....

Well put..

I struggled with the stigma of the BMW brand until I drove them, and was immediately hooked..

But I, like many of you must, still deal with the backlash against the, "Popped Collar" crowd before me. Like letting someone go first at a four way stop and they flip you off, or my favorite, pedestrians that spit on the car at crosswalks...

Neat, civilized stuff like that..
No one wants to be "that guy". While I am very comfortable in my own skin, I also don't want to give folks an impression of me that isn't who or what I am. When I bought my m235i, I was looking at CPO 981 Boxsters as well. One of my concerns with the Boxster was the impression my patients might have of me, a chiropractor, as our office is small and our patient base is typical middle class working folks and they know which cars belong to the doctors and staff. Over the years, I've had lots of comment's, especially little old ladies, about my MINI Cooper ("Who drives that cute, little white car") and I worried that folks might get the wrong impression with a newer Porsche in the lot. Today, BMW's are as ubiquitous as Lexus or Cadillac, so I never worried about the impression my m235i might give. Heck, we have several patients driving big Ford and Chevy trucks that cost way more than the Boxster or my m235i, but stereotypes are hard to change.

Regarding the strips, my vert is Alpine White and black, so a little extra color works for me, even if the "purists" scoff.
17 GMC Canyon Denali Long Bed 4x4 (Tailgatin, Haulin & Towin)
various 'one design' sailboats / stinky hockey gear
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2017, 12:03 PM   #28
Pparana
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by p912guy View Post
No one wants to be "that guy". While I am very comfortable in my own skin, I also don't want to give folks an impression of me that isn't who or what I am. When I bought my m235i, I was looking at CPO 981 Boxsters as well. One of my concerns with the Boxster was the impression my patients might have of me, a chiropractor, as our office is small and our patient base is typical middle class working folks and they know which cars belong to the doctors and staff. Over the years, I've had lots of comment's, especially little old ladies, about my MINI Cooper ("Who drives that cute, little white car") and I worried that folks might get the wrong impression with a newer Porsche in the lot. Today, BMW's are as ubiquitous as Lexus or Cadillac, so I never worried about the impression my m235i might give. Heck, we have several patients driving big Ford and Chevy trucks that cost way more than the Boxster or my m235i, but stereotypes are hard to change.

Regarding the strips, my vert is Alpine White and black, so a little extra color works for me, even if the "purists" scoff.

your car, do what you want, my point is if you do anything some people will like others wont. As long as you like, you paid for it.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2017, 03:54 PM   #29
Motorsport_235i
Banned
Rep
Drives: M235i

The 3 stripes is very nice in the front grill but no car comes with that stock?
so where do they come from originally?
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2017, 06:59 PM   #30
3.0L
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M235i, 20k miles

Quote:
your car, do what you want, my point is if you do anything some people will like others wont. As long as you like, you paid for it.
Exactly, do what you want with your car. Even this:
Attached Images

When writing your life's plan, use a pencil with an eraser
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2017, 02:46 PM   #31
Spydeputy
Brigadier General
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2015 F23 M235i/2008,E90,335xi

Garage List
Stripes vs Strips

Sometimes grammar just needs a little attention.
Fellow forum members, for those of you who are not sure.....
These are called, Stripes, not Strips.
They look okay to me, if they look professionally done.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2017, 01:31 PM   #32
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spydeputy
Sometimes grammar just needs a little attention.
Fellow forum members, for those of you who are not sure.....
These are called, Stripes, not Strips.
They look okay to me, if they look professionally done.
They are stripes made with three strips of vinyl. Chew on that chicken and egg conundrum
Appreciate 1