THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum BMW M2 Confirmed by BMW M Director! New M3 Underway. BMW Supercar Under Consideration

07-07-2011, 11:24 AM   #67
aajami
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Gray '09 E92 M3

Thanks for clearing that up, Scott. As I figured, the OP/magazine article was wrong. The M2 is now and was always slated to get a turbo-4.

Too bad.
Mods: M Performance exhaust | ZCP retrofit | Euro airbox | GTS DCT flash | JPN 240 ECU flash | Euro LCI taillights | CRT lip | OEM alarm retrofit | Space Gray bumper plugs | BMW Performance: Mk. II spoiler / Mk. II non-electronic steering wheel / mirror caps / front grilles / side gills / intake louvers / emblem
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2011, 01:28 PM   #68
dmboone25
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2024 Golf R / 2022 718 Spyder

Garage List
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
2007 328i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by aajami View Post
Thanks for clearing that up, Scott. As I figured, the OP/magazine article was wrong. The M2 is now and was always slated to get a turbo-4.

Too bad.
I think a four cylinder could be the high revving solution to a lot of the groans we have heard in regard to forced induction.

I would love an inline 6 too, but maybe this little 4 will be a screamer...
      07-07-2011, 02:42 PM   #69
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by formula M View Post
So basically, no need to consider BMW for another 3+ years..?

I think BMW M is off their rocker, if you believe people are going to wait 3~4 years for another 1 Series M coupe! I have been holding off since the day the E90 M3 hit Erhard's floor plan, only to test drive it an walk away dumbfounded and laughing.

And to think, I sold my E46 in anticipation for the bloated, fat, lengthy, noisy E90 M3...

Minus the 500 Americans that got a 1M, are you saying that most Americans have to wait 8+ years to by a proper M car..? Mind you, if I could import a Euro model (of any BMW) then it wouldn't be so bad.

Tell you the truth, I feel disrespected as a life-long BMW enthusiast. If the F20 hatches are coming, are you saying BMW-M engineers don't already have one & are not rapid prototyping CF roof, Cf body panels & working the suspension's kinematics, etc.. right now?

If, no... then why not?

Coincidentally, I think it is a slap in the face, for BMW M to be worried about SUV & SAV, when their resources could be directed at proper M car (ie: Clubsport) so enthusiasts (& Americans) can go Clubbing, knowing we have a catalog of BMW Motosports division supporting us with parts.

Instead, BMW pushes M SUVs... as the world waits for another CAR..?

Focus:
If they can make the 1 Series M coupe in 9 months, I am sure by this time next year there could be a F20 M clubsport hatch..! But obviously, those engineers are off worrying about racing a 5,300lbs SUV around the ring..?

The Motosport division has lost focus. There should be immediate focus on M CARS for sale. To me, the current M3 is a bastard 4.0 8-cylinder meant for non-enthusiast yuppies, who get excited about a 181" long, 3,700lbs M3... lol)

I fear the //Marketing arm of BMW has taken over & the heart of BMW M as a Motor Sport division is defunct!

Perhaps that is why Dr Kay Segler left? (where is the speech from the new guy?)
One thing I must make abundantly clear. Is that in order for BMW M to sustain and expand itself it needs products that can follow with some high profit margins and sell in "volume" for M.

BMW X5M and BMW X6M have markets because they appeal to a certain type of enthusiast. BMW X5M and BMW X6M are considered to be Volume models within BMW M because they sell at a higher volume than current and previous M cars.

For if projects like M-One and M-Two are to come to the market , then they will need support in order to do so. X5M and X6M have contributed to some of BMW's latest models such as the BMW 1er M Coupe.

BMW X3M and BMW X1M will contribute to the future of M.
If you take the CRT M3 it shows progress but it shows you where BMW M is in regarding using CFRP in a cost effective manner. BMWi3 and BMWi8 will spearhead the volume production of CFRP when it will become much easier to accomodate. And after BMWi gets the ball rolling BMW M is next to use the material technology.

Of course Pure M cars is not the only thing being considered in the sustainability of the brand there are other aspects such as accessories and lifestyle to accomodate.
It is known that some see X5M and X6M as too big and too expensive but would like a High performance SAV which is more affordable than the larger models.
      07-07-2011, 05:19 PM   #70
as7920
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2023 SG/FR M4 xDrive Competiti

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
Time was running out with the E82 and that is why the E82 is with us in the twilight of it's life... If only the car was committed to a few years back.
but is the E82 1M not all the more special for these very reasons!
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2011, 05:40 PM   #71
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Exactly.
      07-07-2011, 08:23 PM   #72
Alpine*
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 G87

Quote:
So basically, no need to consider BMW for another 3+ years..?

I think BMW M is off their rocker, if you believe people are going to wait 3~4 years for another 1 Series M coupe! I have been holding off since the day the E90 M3 hit Erhard's floor plan, only to test drive it an walk away dumbfounded and laughing.

And to think, I sold my E46 in anticipation for the bloated, fat, lengthy, noisy E90 M3...

Minus the 500 Americans that got a 1M, are you saying that most Americans have to wait 8+ years to by a proper M car..? Mind you, if I could import a Euro model (of any BMW) then it wouldn't be so bad.

Tell you the truth, I feel disrespected as a life-long BMW enthusiast. If the F20 hatches are coming, are you saying BMW-M engineers don't already have one & are not rapid prototyping CF roof, Cf body panels & working the suspension's kinematics, etc.. right now?

If, no... then why not?

Coincidentally, I think it is a slap in the face, for BMW M to be worried about SUV & SAV, when their resources could be directed at proper M car (ie: Clubsport) so enthusiasts (& Americans) can go Clubbing, knowing we have a catalog of BMW Motosports division supporting us with parts.

Instead, BMW pushes M SUVs... as the world waits for another CAR..?

Focus:
If they can make the 1 Series M coupe in 9 months, I am sure by this time next year there could be a F20 M clubsport hatch..! But obviously, those engineers are off worrying about racing a 5,300lbs SUV around the ring..?

The Motosport division has lost focus. There should be immediate focus on M CARS for sale. To me, the current M3 is a bastard 4.0 8-cylinder meant for non-enthusiast yuppies, who get excited about a 181" long, 3,700lbs M3... lol)

I fear the //Marketing arm of BMW has taken over & the heart of BMW M as a Motor Sport division is defunct!

Perhaps that is why Dr Kay Segler left? (where is the speech from the new guy?)
Bloody hell you're a winger.

Go buy a ford and leave us in peace.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2011, 09:17 PM   #73
BimmaDrew
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '01 325 Ci

Personally, I think the idea of an M2 with a crazy FI 4 cylinder would be awesome! The lighter, the better!!! I loved my 4-banger Subaru almost as much as I love my e46 (when it came to driving it...nevermind the super cheap interior). I was not happy when the ex-wife took it...but I digress...

BMW does amazing things with their engines when they put their time and creative juices into it. Luckily for us, the marketing dept doesn't have as much sway on the engineering for the engines as they do on everything else...so I am fairly confident that their new FI 4 cylinder will be well worth it. I would be very temped to get the z4 with the new engine except I know marketing is going to keep the price high because it is in a 4 and a 4 needs to cost more than a 3. It won't keep me from test driving one tho...

Now lets just hope that they don't go with the ugly drawing in the main post and instead make the 2 as sexy as the z4's crossed with the awesomeness of the 3 coupes. Hell, I even like the attached photoshop'ed M3 above.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2011, 02:32 PM   #74
fx7
Registered
Rep
Drives: '06 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramyar View Post
5 wheels, for extra traction in back
I'd love to see a 3 wheel burnout!
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2011, 03:41 PM   #75
manuelf
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 F82 LCI

Quote:

I think BMW M division can make cars like the 1M coupe (@ $47k) and make oodles of cash if you'd make them available here, & commit to their existence.

So, why spoil the brand with a SUV/SAV first mentality.. plus, wtf do they (sav/suv) have to do with motosports? <-- ??

Coincidentally, Americans have an inaugural Grand Prix to goto next year... wtf are we suppose to drive? BMW SUV/SAV? Or, an Audi/Porsche.? Fly? (A used 1M coupe?)

Lastly, as suggested many times over.. BMW M needs to stop thinking with bean counters & let the engineers loose. If the M-Division of BMW has not actually (internally) started engineering the new M cars in their Lab, then a fear BMW is trying to use M brand for diluted purpose... while we wait for the heritage to return.

How does the X1M & X3M contribute anything... they dilute everything. Your marketeering is sapping off the M brand, which means even more diluted M sauce.

peace out!
You seem to enjoy repeating all the same whinging again and again ...
oh boy - so go on and be happy with it for the next 1000 threads
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2011, 04:09 PM   #76
datbimmerdoe
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: like I'M BOUT THAT LIFE

do want bmw supercar. DO WANT.

FOLLOW @datbimmerdoe on INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2011, 08:07 AM   #77
John_01
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 325i, E82 135i

Agree with 'formula M'. I'd say that BMW marketing is taking brand dilution to the extreme. Recently its seems that BMW assumes they are simply marketing a brand name, just like a designer label. From what I know, BMW buyers are actually looking for more than that as they are attracted to the engineering focus of the product. That is seriously diulted when you see families at the mall in the X5M SUV. Does anyone really think that M division has any business buidling SUVs?

I thought M stands for Motorsport division that built cars suitable for track use. Now it seems I was wrong. For me it makes me cringe every time I see a X5M or X6M. Firstly because they are pointless, and secondly because its a waste of petrol. How can BMW seriously talk about fuel efficiency when they build cars like that?
Appreciate 0