THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum BMW M235i Drag Races Lexus IS-F (Updated with Full Comparison Review)

04-16-2014, 09:32 AM   #89
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSport_Jon View Post
I am speaking for my self and definitely sharing my experience with MY BMW's... The one that has been the biggest pain in my ass has been the 335i.... and yes it has been in the shop longer than any other car i have ever own combined... No, it has not been moded and it is bone stock... so if you want to put BMW and Reliability in the same sentence, speak for yourself champ because i live in Germany and i see first hand which brands holds the longest and which brands are always on the side of the road waiting for ADAC to come and rescue them... Maybe you have one of the odd cars that rarely develops a problem... or maybe just more BS like every other hot head BMW owner that thinks they own the Chariot of the Gods like i tend to think at times....

good for you..! Keep in mind that the "Service Records" will show only what BMW has done to the car and not anything an INDY or Tuner shop maybe have done...

i have had a 335i, 118d, 320d...

335i @ 28k Miles - HPFP Failure which by the way second one is on the way out...
335i @ 33K Miles - brake pad sensors kept getting replace and kept coming back...
335I @ 50K miles - misfire galore... not fixed yet had it walnut blasted but problems was not gone 100 percent...

335i @ 60K Miles turbo rattle.... Turbos replaced with same part number... so i am expecting it to come back...
335i all the TIME the stupid angle light bulb keeps dying...! WTF!!! i no longer pay attention to this one by the way...

This only a small sample

320D its biggest problems is both electrical and brakes... Christ the dealer CANNOT fix the shimmy on this one..!

118d@ oil buildup in the head and intake ,,,, there is no fix for this one by the way... just have to take it in for cleaning and a new FMIC

all of them have developed problems within the first year of use... I own BMWs because i like them and because i can afford the maintenance....
you can roll your eyes all you want but the fact of the matter is that MY experience with THREE BMW's not just ONE, has been the same... one nagging problem one after the other.......

and that sir probably makes you the exception and not the rule....

That is not to mention the other cars of owners i know... so congratulations on your unbreakable beast..! Tell me who your Shaman is so i can take my upcoming x25 to it....

By the way keep an eye on your timing chain if you plan to high rev... if it skips, you wont survive the damage...!
Terrible argument, no offense. First you talked about ISF vs E9x M3. Then you mentioned that your turbo charged gasoline and diesel engines have absolutely nothing to do with the S65.

If you would just spend a little time on m3post, you would see that for the most part, the E9x M3 and S65 has been an incredible car. No, I'm not the exception (again, you talk with what looks like 0 experience on the M3, a car you admit you've never owned). You were the one that said you'd pick the ISF because the M3 would be in the dealership 2 months at a time. And I'm telling you from experience, that's just not the case. Am I saying all E9x M3's are indestructible and have no known issue?

Again you were the one that compared the ISF to the M3, not me. Then you argue that your 335i with N54 has not been reliable, which by the way isn't all that uncommon. I just wanted to correct you on the M3 part, not turbocharged BMW engines, that is all.

Also, I'd like to mention in the years I've been following this car (pretty much from the E92 M3 concept car), I have personally not read one car where the timing chain jumped. I'm not sure where you are getting that from. Now if you said rod bearings and diff bolts, then yes.

Good luck with your car
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 09:49 AM   #90
Anderw
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 m3

Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 09:50 AM   #91
bradleyland
TIM YOYO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Garage List
Quote:
I am speaking for my self and definitely sharing my experience with MY BMW's...
So you're speaking for yourself... except for the part where you have some unique, empirical insight in to the broad reliability of German made road cars:

Quote:
so if you want to put BMW and Reliability in the same sentence, speak for yourself champ because i live in Germany and i see first hand which brands holds the longest and which brands are always on the side of the road waiting for ADAC to come and rescue them...
We all live somewhere. We all see our unique slice of the universe. No one person's view is any more accurate than the other, unless they're a researcher compiling data for a study.

Don't mistake that I disagree with you on BMW reliability. I just think you're holding a double standard as it relates to your viewpoint versus other forum users'.

In studies based on collected data (not just individually observed data), BMW doesn't rate well in relative reliability. For example:

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...gineering.html

http://articles.latimes.com/2010/oct...ility-20101027

Some people take issue with the data that Consumer Reports collects, but there aren't a lot of people performing long term reliability studies, so we make decisions using the data we have.
Past: 2010 135i - TiAg Coral Red 6MT ///M-Sport

Last edited by bradleyland; 04-16-2014 at 10:24 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 10:49 AM   #92
MSport_Jon
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 F25 LCI /// F80 M3 (SOLD)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyland View Post
So you're speaking for yourself... except for the part where you have some unique, empirical insight in to the broad reliability of German made road cars:

We all live somewhere. We all see our unique slice of the universe. No one person's view is any more accurate than the other, unless they're a researcher compiling data for a study.

Don't mistake that I disagree with you on BMW reliability. I just think you're holding a double standard as it relates to your viewpoint versus other forum users'.

In studies based on collected data (not just individually observed data), BMW doesn't rate well in relative reliability. For example:

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...gineering.html

http://articles.latimes.com/2010/oct...ility-20101027

Some people take issue with the data that Consumer Reports collects, but there aren't a lot of people performing long term reliability studies, so we make decisions using the data we have.
That is very true however, the Germans are very proud of their brands and when you see Audi and the VW group stacking much better than BMW and Opel in reliability reports in Germany, has to give you sense of which way your reliability euros or dollars should swing towards.... Allow me to remind you that the VW group is nowhere near the Japanese in reliability....

these are not my broad statistics. These are from the ADAC monthly journal which is like saying AAA in the states. These guys keeps stats on everything...
Yeah of course this is not with pin point accuracy... nothing is when it come to car statistics...!

No European brand is up to par with the Japanese in reliability. For this same reason the average car age in Germany is no more the 8 years old... you rarely see a car here with more than 200 thousand KM's...

If you look at my wifes E46 32Od Touring Wagon you wouldn't think much of it.... i Would be really surprise if this car would pass inspection this year. the TUV is tough and not only that but they keep records of deficiencies in the car and they would use it to determine if car is fit for the road or not... Too many issues in one area of your car can mean failure and unfit,... which means a very expensive paper weight...you will have to junk it... ! Another reason you dont see very old cars here in Germany... and before you say classics, those fall in a different segment....

You may think this has nothing to do with reliability but it does, because everything get recorded and get taken in consideration...

Last edited by MSport_Jon; 04-16-2014 at 11:02 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 02:53 PM   #93
bradleyland
TIM YOYO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Garage List
Quote:
That is very true however, the Germans are very proud of their brands and when you see Audi and the VW group stacking much better than BMW and Opel in reliability reports in Germany, has to give you sense of which way your reliability euros or dollars should swing towards.... Allow me to remind you that the VW group is nowhere near the Japanese in reliability....

these are not my broad statistics. These are from the ADAC monthly journal which is like saying AAA in the states. These guys keeps stats on everything...
Yeah of course this is not with pin point accuracy... nothing is when it come to car statistics...!

No European brand is up to par with the Japanese in reliability. For this same reason the average car age in Germany is no more the 8 years old... you rarely see a car here with more than 200 thousand KM's...

If you look at my wifes E46 32Od Touring Wagon you wouldn't think much of it.... i Would be really surprise if this car would pass inspection this year. the TUV is tough and not only that but they keep records of deficiencies in the car and they would use it to determine if car is fit for the road or not... Too many issues in one area of your car can mean failure and unfit,... which means a very expensive paper weight...you will have to junk it... ! Another reason you dont see very old cars here in Germany... and before you say classics, those fall in a different segment....

You may think this has nothing to do with reliability but it does, because everything get recorded and get taken in consideration...
I think you missed a critical part of my post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyland
Don't mistake that I disagree with you on BMW reliability.
You offered an argument that BMW's aren't very reliable. I agree with that.

I'm only pointing out that you shouldn't be so quick to attack another member's anecdote if you're going to offer your own.
Past: 2010 135i - TiAg Coral Red 6MT ///M-Sport
Appreciate 0