THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Very slight off-center steering bias: what to do?

06-14-2018, 02:09 PM   #1
BarryJI
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 228i M Sport

Very slight off-center steering bias: what to do?

Gents, I'd appreciate your advice. I have always sensed a very slight rightward bias in the steering wheel position (i.e. it's at 12:03 instead of 12:00 when tracking straight). It's not a huge deal but I was hoping that the alignment done at the dealership yesterday when I got four new PSSes would fix it; it hasn't.

I'm not sure I want to take it to my tuner for another (probably more expert) alignment. I wonder if there is a "one click" solution, i.e. some adjustment that can be made in five minutes; it's an electronic steering rack after all. The steering ratio seems very finely calibrated to me, so it's not like a quarter-inch offset has any practical effect on the car's tracking but like a lot of you, when it comes to my cars, I can be somewhat OCD. Any suggestions? Many thanks.

2015 BMW 228i M Sport w/Track Handling Package
DAP | Lighting | Premium | Tech
DINANTRONICS Performance Tuner Stage 1 | DINAN Shockware | DINAN Free Flow Exhaust | DINAN Performance Spring Set + Ride Quality and Handling Kit
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2018, 02:11 PM   #2
Luftwaffe1O1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i, 2000 Z3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryJI View Post
Gents, I'd appreciate your advice. I have always sensed a very slight rightward bias in the steering wheel position (i.e. it's at 12:03 instead of 12:00 when tracking straight). It's not a huge deal but I was hoping that the alignment done at the dealership yesterday when I got four new PSSes would fix it; it hasn't.

I'm not sure I want to take it to my tuner for another (probably more expert) alignment. I wonder if there is a "one click" solution, i.e. some adjustment that can be made in five minutes; it's an electronic steering rack after all. The steering ratio seems very finely calibrated to me, so it's not like a quarter-inch offset has any practical effect on the car's tracking but like a lot of you, when it comes to my cars, I can be somewhat OCD. Any suggestions? Many thanks.
I am pretty sure I observed the same thing with mine, I actually wondered if the seating position makes it just appear that way.
      06-14-2018, 02:16 PM   #3
BarryJI
Captain
United_States
Rep

Yeah, plus my right hand rests a tiny bit lower on the wheel but still...

DINANTRONICS Performance Tuner Stage 1 | DINAN Shockware | DINAN Free Flow Exhaust | DINAN Performance Spring Set + Ride Quality and Handling Kit
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2018, 02:56 PM   #4
Pray for Mojo
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i & 2018 X3 M40i

Every road is crowned for drainage sloping slightly right from the center line, are you sure it's not what you are feeling?
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2018, 03:32 PM   #5
BarryJI
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pray for Mojo View Post
Every road is crowned for drainage sloping slightly right from the center line, are you sure it's not what you are feeling?
I thought about that but the offset does not seem to vary on very crowned roads vs. flat.

Appreciate 0
      06-14-2018, 03:53 PM   #6
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

I could be wrong but I thought I read somewhere that cars are set up with a slight bias away from oncoming traffic so specific to the location the car is sold in. Reason being if you fall asleep or have a stroke or something while driving drifting away from oncoming cars is preferable to into them.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2018, 04:08 PM   #7
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

As your post suggests the car does track straight, the alignment specs are likely correct. I’d visit the dealer and respectfully suggest that they didn’t have the steering wheel straight when those correct specs were set. That should be remedied by them having you agree the wheel is straight when the car is on the rack and then re-setting the original correct specs. I’ve been through this before.
Appreciate 1
BEM-S44514.50
      06-14-2018, 04:10 PM   #8
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
As your post suggests the car does track straight, the alignment specs are likely correct. I’d visit the dealer and respectfully suggest that they didn’t have the steering wheel straight when those correct specs were set. That should be remedied by them having you agree the wheel is straight when the car is on the rack and then re-setting the original correct specs. I’ve been through this before.
Ah - I agree with you I misunderstood the first post.

Pulling the wheel you can break all kinds of shit, definitely have the shop do it since this would be a no cost repair.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2018, 05:56 PM   #9
albertw
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M240i

This is a fairly common problem after an alignment. Some techs aren't quite as concerned about getting the steering wheel positioned exactly right as some drivers are about it.

I haven't had a look at my M240i, but on every car I've owned this was an easy fix. The front wheels are turned by rods that come out of the steering rack. There is an obvious way to adjust the length of those rods. If you make exactly the same adjustment on both sides (shorten one the same number of turns as you lengthen the other), you don't affect the alignment at all. The only thing you change is where the steering wheel is turned for a given position of the wheels.

The easiest way to think of this is that when your steering wheel is set for perfectly straight ahead the wheels are actually turned a bit to the left. You adjust the length of the rods to turn both wheels slightly to the right. For the discrepancy you see, a couple flats (1/3 of a turn) would be a good place to start. Look carefully at the threads to make sure you know which way to turn to get the length change you want. Use how hard it was to loosen the lock nuts as a guide to how hard to tighten them. It would be a good idea to mark the orientation of the rods before loosening the lock nuts in case you turn a rod at the same time, and also to let you check that you turned each one in the correct direction and turned both the same amount.

(My understanding is that the steering is assisted by an electric motor, but the connection to the wheels is still mechanical. Only one of the Infinities has a fully electric steering system. If I'm wrong about this ignore what I wrote.)

Last edited by albertw; 06-14-2018 at 06:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2018, 06:15 PM   #10
BarryJI
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post
Pulling the wheel you can break all kinds of shit, definitely have the shop do it since this would be a no cost repair.
Not sure I understand this; in fact I don't...

No pulling involved; the offset is very small.

Appreciate 0
      06-14-2018, 06:49 PM   #11
BarryJI
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertw View Post
This is a fairly common problem after an alignment. Some techs aren't quite as concerned about getting the steering wheel positioned exactly right as some drivers are about it.

I haven't had a look at my M240i, but on every car I've owned this was an easy fix. The front wheels are turned by rods that come out of the steering rack. There is an obvious way to adjust the length of those rods. If you make exactly the same adjustment on both sides (shorten one the same number of turns as you lengthen the other), you don't affect the alignment at all. The only thing you change is where the steering wheel is turned for a given position of the wheels.

The easiest way to think of this is that when your steering wheel is set for perfectly straight ahead the wheels are actually turned a bit to the left. You adjust the length of the rods to turn both wheels slightly to the right. For the discrepancy you see, a couple flats (1/3 of a turn) would be a good place to start. Look carefully at the threads to make sure you know which way to turn to get the length change you want. Use how hard it was to loosen the lock nuts as a guide to how hard to tighten them. It would be a good idea to mark the orientation of the rods before loosening the lock nuts in case you turn a rod at the same time, and also to let you check that you turned each one in the correct direction and turned both the same amount.

(My understanding is that the steering is assisted by an electric motor, but the connection to the wheels is still mechanical. Only one of the Infinities has a fully electric steering system. If I'm wrong about this ignore what I wrote.)
Many thanks for this.

Appreciate 0
      06-14-2018, 07:24 PM   #12
mr_clueless
Private
Rep
Drives: Acura RDX

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryJI View Post

I drove my E46 for most of its life like that thinking it was normal.

They should have fixed it when doing the alignment and the alignment comes with a warranty so if you demonstrate the problem the dealer should be able to fix it. Did you mention the steering offset problem when dropping it off for the alignment?
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2018, 08:01 PM   #13
harma24
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i Glacier Silver

Garage List
2017 BMW M240i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
I've had this happen once. I got about two miles down the road and turned around to bring my car right back. The car tracked perfectly straight, but the steering wheel was rotated about 5deg right. I couldn't believe they botched it so badly. They realigned it for free (aside from my wasted time).
Appreciate 0