THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Drifting option

05-30-2014, 03:55 AM   #1
Al Ajmi
Rep
Drives: Estoril blue M235i

Drifting option

Hello from Oman,

I cant seem to find the right option to drift the car, In sport+ the gear is too aggressive and the best option so far is the long press DSC off and gear in sport yet the traction still kicks in, help needed from experts for the right option to drift.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-30-2014, 06:13 AM   #2
Canaletto
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 4 Wheels

Do you have the LSD installed?
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2014, 06:48 AM   #3
one1er
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M235i (Yet to come)

I find it strange that the traction control still kicks in when the DSC is off...are you sure you're turning everything off or are you just engaging the DTC?
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2014, 09:01 AM   #4
Uridian
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, 228i M Sport

I've not tried it, but I've been told that Sport+ plus long press DSC will disable all traction aids.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2014, 09:12 AM   #5
bitcore
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F87 BSM Manual M2 Comp

disclaimer: I do not own an m235i. I do own an '09 135i with the N54.
I have a feeling that ALL traction/stability aids are not completely disabled by the long-press and sport+.
I get the same behavior (throttle reduction) when hooning around in an empty parking lot. Very frustrating. I imagine it's there for protection of the motor and a consequence of not having a throttle cable directly tied to the throttle body and a fly-by-wire system. It usually only occurs when my front wheels are spinning slowly/reverse direction due to a spin with full throttle applied. It's drastic and sudden enough for it to NOT be heat soak from moving too slowly.

Also, do you have the LSD?
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2014, 04:09 PM   #6
Al Ajmi
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canaletto View Post
Do you have the LSD installed?
NO,
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2014, 04:11 PM   #7
Al Ajmi
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by one1er View Post
I find it strange that the traction control still kicks in when the DSC is off...are you sure you're turning everything off or are you just engaging the DTC?
Long press on DSC button, i guess everything is off. but what is DTC?
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2014, 04:16 PM   #8
Al Ajmi
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitcore View Post
disclaimer: I do not own an m235i. I do own an '09 135i with the N54.
I have a feeling that ALL traction/stability aids are not completely disabled by the long-press and sport+.
I get the same behavior (throttle reduction) when hooning around in an empty parking lot. Very frustrating. I imagine it's there for protection of the motor and a consequence of not having a throttle cable directly tied to the throttle body and a fly-by-wire system. It usually only occurs when my front wheels are spinning slowly/reverse direction due to a spin with full throttle applied. It's drastic and sudden enough for it to NOT be heat soak from moving too slowly.

Also, do you have the LSD?

No LSD, but that is the same exact thing that happens with my car, isn't there a way that the whole Traction system snoozes for a while.
whats the difference with LSD in a drift.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2014, 04:21 PM   #9
Rbezzz
Rep
Drives: M135i

I have done 10,000kms in my M135i and my findings are:

Sport+ gives you sports throttle, sports gearbox and reduces traction control I would say by about 50%. The car allows a lot more forward wheel spin but only gives you enough sideways to make you think you made a great early save (but then you say hey i didn't want to save it!?). So in all i would say fun windy road /roundabout driving but still very safe.

DSC Off (long press) gives you comfort throttle, sports gear box, reduces traction control further and engages the 'e-diff'. I would say this mode turns traction control about 70-80% off. It allows a lot more lateral movement but you need to control it well as the car will recover it for you as soon as deems you are too sideways. The more forward momentum you have the more sideways it gives you as well so its nice on the track.

So in summary you can get enough to really throw it around on a track or similar but it is not drifting. You can fight against the traction control but giving it heaps of throtle but you will still be frustrated.

Search for M135i drifting videos on you tube and you will see there aren't very many and the vids that are there are not of cars drifting.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2014, 04:25 PM   #10
Rbezzz
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Ajmi View Post
DTC is a single press of the traction button, that changes the traction control setting to enable the car to offer more grip in low grip environments like on snow, mud or gravel. I have tested it and it works, see pic.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-30-2014, 04:27 PM   #11
one1er
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Ajmi View Post
DTC = Dynamic traction control, which is activated with a short press on the DSC button. It helps traction by applying brakes to the wheel that's losing traction/spinning, normally the inside wheel. It's supposed to mimic a LSD using brakes.

This may be what you're experiencing! From what I know from bmw, and from the M235i videos I've seen, it's possible to turn everything off and drift, so I find it strange that the system is still intervening with you. Are you holding the bottun long enough to deactivate the DSC?

Unless you're trying to drift and using the brakes at the same time, in which case it will intervene!
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2014, 04:32 PM   #12
Al Ajmi
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbezzz View Post
I have done 10,000kms in my M135i and my findings are:

Sport+ gives you sports throttle, sports gearbox and reduces traction control I would say by about 50%. The car allows a lot more forward wheel spin but only gives you enough sideways to make you think you made a great early save (but then you say hey i didn't want to save it!?). So in all i would say fun windy road /roundabout driving but still very safe.

DSC Off (long press) gives you comfort throttle, sports gear box, reduces traction control further and engages the 'e-diff'. I would say this mode turns traction control about 70-80% off. It allows a lot more lateral movement but you need to control it well as the car will recover it for you as soon as deems you are too sideways. The more forward momentum you have the more sideways it gives you as well so its nice on the track.

So in summary you can get enough to really throw it around on a track or similar but it is not drifting. You can fight against the traction control but giving it heaps of throtle but you will still be frustrated.

Search for M135i drifting videos on you tube and you will see there aren't very many and the vids that are there are not of cars drifting.

That's right my favourite mode so far is DSC off and gear in sport, i like the DSC off mode in 2 ways, first it gives you range in a drift yet its limited and the exhuast sounds better i dont know if its the sound generated inside the car but it sounds good,
but the question is how does the 1M drift smoothly which im sure the M2 will be the same, Im talking about burning rubber, smoke.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2014, 04:39 PM   #13
one1er
Private First Class
Rep

Are you guys 100% sure the system can't be 100% turned off!?!?

That's soooo wrong, so NOT bmw...such BS!! Shame on you BMW....

F....ck!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2014, 04:43 PM   #14
Al Ajmi
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbezzz View Post
DTC is a single press of the traction button, that changes the traction control setting to enable the car to offer more grip in low grip environments like on snow, mud or gravel. I have tested it and it works, see pic.
u certainly enjoying that, nice wheels btw. but being honest i wish i can drive my car like that pushing it to see what she can do. but im a previous owner of a 530i 2012 but before that i had and E class benz and that car was really tough, i feel BMW's are fragile i might be mistaken but i had a bad experience with my 530 many issues in that car cause i used to drive it rough like i did with the E class.

are they fragile though?
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2014, 04:46 PM   #15
Al Ajmi
Rep

Quote:
DTC = Dynamic traction control, which is activated with a short press on the DSC button. It helps traction by applying brakes to the wheel that's losing traction/spinning, normally the inside wheel. It's supposed to mimic a LSD using brakes.

This may be what you're experiencing! From what I know from bmw, and from the M235i videos I've seen, it's possible to turn everything off and drift, so I find it strange that the system is still intervening with you. Are you holding the bottun long enough to deactivate the DSC?

Unless you're trying to drift and using the brakes at the same time, in which case it will intervene!
No brakes and pressing long enough, still kicks in
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2014, 04:51 PM   #16
Al Ajmi
Rep

Quote:
Are you guys 100% sure the system can't be 100% turned off!?!?

That's soooo wrong, so NOT bmw...such BS!! Shame on you BMW....

F....ck!!!
Not sure yet, but its not the annoying traction it gives you lot of range sideways. around 180 degree sidways, thats my experience anyways
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2014, 08:01 PM   #17
F30form
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '13 Mini Cooper S Hardtop

I don't know what you people are doing, but the long press does turn off traction control COMPLETELY.

What happens after a while (going sideways), is that the rear brakes start to heat up because they are trying to keep both wheels spinning. eventually, they overpower the wheels and they bring you in line.

THIS is why the LSD is valuable.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2014, 12:25 AM   #18
Tim917
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Often

so, you're saying DTC is still on if the brakes are working to keep both wheels spinning, no?
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2014, 04:39 AM   #19
Rbezzz
Rep

If you could turn traction all the way off and it came with an LSD it would be called an M2... They need to hold some things back to differentiate the models. It's the same reason the LED indicators were dropped from the last model but will miraculously re-appear in the facelift.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2014, 07:06 AM   #20
th1rd3y3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 M340i xDrive

A while back I posted the same question and ended up thinking I was nuts or not doing something right. After yesterday and pushing the car some, I can definitely say turning it off doesn't turn it off and I'm not happy about that.
Appreciate 0