THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum M235i at Porland Auto Show this weekend

02-08-2014, 07:25 AM   #1
number1draftpick
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328i

M235i at Porland Auto Show this weekend

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
An FYI for anyone in the area. Just found out that the M235i is at the Portland Auto Show this weekend.

I'll be heading down from Seattle this morning. Excited to see it in person. I'm betting the color will be MR but I'll take pics anyway and be sure to post my in person impressions for whatever it's worth.

If anyone wants any details pic of any aspect of the car, let me know and I will try to take it.

Also saw that the Audi A3 will be down there as well for anyone interested in the S3.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2014, 07:47 AM   #2
number1draftpick
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Actually, I think the rear of the black sapphire M235i someone posted on here earlier was from the Portland Auto Show...so really hoping that' the one I see today.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2014, 07:57 AM   #3
Seagull
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: F87 M2, E84 X1

Take a pic from rear angles from a distance. All the close up picts cause the rear to appear very boxy and square. Please take pics from about 12-20ft away.

Most pics on the forum have been close up, to capture individual details, but as it messes with the perspective, the rear's cohesive design is not shown off.
      02-08-2014, 08:39 AM   #4
SmallTownBoy
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '14 M235i 6MT PSS BSM

From the NAIAS in Detroit last month.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-08-2014, 11:26 AM   #5
dmboone25
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2024 Golf R / 2022 718 Spyder

Garage List
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
2007 328i  [10.00]
Anyone know if the M235 is in Chicago this week ?
      02-08-2014, 10:05 PM   #6
thomps
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Full disclosure: these are NOT my photos. Source: http://oppositelock.jalopnik.com/por...ery-1518984469

Dying to see more picks of Sapphire Black Metallic. We definitely know there's one in Portland. Found these while searching like a mad man. If anybody else finds anything, please post!

Last edited by thomps; 02-08-2014 at 10:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2014, 05:51 AM   #7
number1draftpick
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Wow, should have paid attention to the weather. Got caught in a snow storm down there. Just got back at 3am, should have probably spent the night.

Anyway, here is a walk around video. If there is a problem with it I'll fix it tomorrow. I'll also upload all my pics to tomorrow and a better summary.

For now, the short version is I liked it. I really like the front end, Black Sapphire is a color that I'm considering and liked it there, the stock diffuser actually looks good on Black Sapphire. The rear also looked good in Black Sapphire. From some angles I kinda wish the car was a little longer..especially around the rear wheel area. Was hard to get a great side profile though because there were cars pretty close on either side.

K, I'm sleepy and rambling. Enjoy the vid and I'll post pics later.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfBRpKhd7g0
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2014, 11:03 AM   #8
jeremicium
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 328i

Garage List
Thanks for the post Kamara! I'm not a fan of black cars, but it does look nice on the 235.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2014, 01:27 PM   #9
Greenkirby21
Vrooom :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Stringray

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamara1984 View Post
Wow, should have paid attention to the weather. Got caught in a snow storm down there. Just got back at 3am, should have probably spent the night.

Anyway, here is a walk around video. If there is a problem with it I'll fix it tomorrow. I'll also upload all my pics to tomorrow and a better summary.

For now, the short version is I liked it. I really like the front end, Black Sapphire is a color that I'm considering and liked it there, the stock diffuser actually looks good on Black Sapphire. The rear also looked good in Black Sapphire. From some angles I kinda wish the car was a little longer..especially around the rear wheel area. Was hard to get a great side profile though because there were cars pretty close on either side.

K, I'm sleepy and rambling. Enjoy the vid and I'll post pics later.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfBRpKhd7g0
thanks! There was one dood that really wanted to see sapphire black! hopefully he sees this thread
      02-09-2014, 01:36 PM   #10
Greenkirby21
United_States
Rep

and this one just because

02-09-2014, 01:51 PM   #11
number1draftpick
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Having problems uploading the photos ha, ha. Upload tool starts fine and then fails eventually and embedding isn't working either.

Anyhow, here are pics that I uploaded to Skydrive: http://sdrv.ms/1eKSFwa

If someone can grab some of the best ones and upload them successfully, that would be appreciated

Was exciting to finally be able to see the car in the flesh. My thoughts:
  • Black Sapphire was and still is a color I'm considering. Like it on the M235i
  • The front end looks great, very sleek and the bumper is a nice
  • I actually dont mind the silver mirrors though I do plan to get CF ones
  • The rear looks good in Black Sapphire. I liked the diffuser on this one way more than in pics that I've seen. I could actually keep that diffuser as is on BS
  • Wheels looked small. Will def need some 19s
  • Climbing into the back seat was not too convenient but once back there I thought it was roomy enough. Just as much as the 4 door Audi A3 sedan that I saw as well anyway
  • The leather feels good to me. Just like the F30, typical BMW leater
  • I was pleased with the interior vs. the 3 series. Very much comparable, although that one didn't have the tech package for whatever reason
  • The exhaust pipes are a dark grey, kind of matching the diffuser. The M235i lettering is also dark gray. Nice touches
  • Was hard to get a great look at the side profile due to the other cars on either side. From some angles it looks a little cut short near the rear, arond the rear wheel. From other angles it looks fine
  • Overall, I liked it. Still need to choose between BS, Alpine White,....and maybe Mineral Gray

Last edited by number1draftpick; 02-09-2014 at 02:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2014, 02:20 PM   #12
Greenkirby21
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Having problems uploading the photos ha, ha. Upload tool starts fine and then fails eventually and embedding isn't working either.

If someone can grab some of the best ones and upload them successfully, that would be appreciated

• The rear looks good in Black Sapphire. I liked the diffuser on this one way more than in pics that I've seen. I could actually keep that diffuser as is on BS
  • Climbing into the back seat was not too convenient but once back there I thought it was roomy enough. Just as much as the 4 door Audi A3 sedan that I saw as well anyway
  • I was pleased with the interior vs. the 3 series. Very much comparable, although that one didn't have the tech package for whatever reason
  • The exhaust pipes are a dark grey, kind of matching the diffuser. The M235i lettering is also dark gray. Nice touches
  • Was hard to get a great look at the side profile due to the other cars on either side. From some angles it looks a little cut short near the rear, arond the rear wheel. From other angles it looks fine
  • Overall, I liked it. Still need to choose between BS, Alpine White,....and maybe Mineral Gray
Wow I am actually really happy the model doesn't have the tech package. I am not getting it, and was wondering what the instrument cluster was going to look like.

I wish we could have the cluster as a stand alone option like europe does (its only like 100 euros too)
      02-09-2014, 02:29 PM   #13
Wheelwright
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: M235i (6MT fakerich edition)

I would think twice about black color unless you like washing your car 5 times a day.

I ordered mine in mineral grey
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2014, 03:58 PM   #14
dmboone25
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
2007 328i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenkirby21 View Post
thanks! There was one dood that really wanted to see sapphire black! hopefully he sees this thread
This is that dude !

It looks damn good. Thanks to the OP !!!
      02-09-2014, 04:03 PM   #15
modeboy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Comp / HS / DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmboone25 View Post
Wow, thanks ! I am going to have to find a way to get over to the show.

The wheels actually look really nice in these shots - appreciate the help.
It's funny, the wheels actually remind me of some shapes from the Alien/Prometheus movies. Kinda HR-Giger like.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-1CUK6ya-q-...lien+Mural.jpg

JB
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2014, 04:07 PM   #16
thomps
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Great pics. Thanks a ton!

How much would you say the black hides the accent lines of the car? Really love the look as a whole, but aside from the maintenance problems, my only other concern is whether the black hides the details or if the metallic strain still allows the accent lines to stick out. For example, in most of the pics it's pretty hard to distinguish any of the front bumper details, but that could totally not be the case in person.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2014, 04:38 PM   #17
dmboone25
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
2007 328i  [10.00]
So I saw the red M235 in Chicago today - here are some of my thoughts :

- I was impressed with the "snugness" of the interior - it felt like it was more driver focused than my E82. Everything kind of molds around you.
- most of the materials are soft and very nice to touch. Not all though. The area around the gear shift, for example, it pretty hard plastic and looks like it could be scratched relatively easily. But like I said, the overwhelming majority of surfaces are nice.
- the steering wheel feels slightly less squishy than the one on my E82, but is very similar. It is smooth leather all around, instead of having sections that are perforated leather like in the E82.
- it's definitely bigger on the inside. I think the biggest difference is in the width of the car. Definitely better in the back seat and passenger side compared to the E82. Just more room all around. Depends on your point of view whether this is good or not. The middle of the back seat is also useless like it is in the E82. Not sure why BMW puts the dumb plastic thing in the middle.
- the trunk was locked so I couldn't check that out - I wanted to see how much bigger the opening looked.
- the leather does feel good, which surprised me. I have never liked the Dakota leather in my E82 - it always felt cheap to me. This didn't feel cheap, but nice and soft instead. No plastic texture at all. I was impressed with this.
- the gauges looked nice but wouldn't turn on, so I can't comment on how they really looked. Nothing drastically different from the E82 here, but a nice update nonetheless.
- from the outside, the car does look really nice in person. The front is aggressive, the side profile is sleek, and the rear (I'm happy to say) looks pretty good. Still not as nice as the butt on the E82, but not nearly as bad as I thought based on how it looked in pictures. The front especially is a 1000% improvement over the E82.
- the wheels....well I have been worried about the gunmetal, which also looks better in person than what pictures seem to show. They aren't that dark, it's a nice shade to be honest. The biggest detriment, in my opinion, is the size. It's had to believe that an 18 can be considered small, but when looking at the M3 and then the M235 (they're next to each other in Chicago) they just don't look big enough. Might have to change that after all.
- the diffuser is actually just fine - plenty of room for improvement, but it looks much "tighter" than the pictures would have you believe. It is also painted in a similar color to that of the exhaust pipes and looks like a part that I don't think I will replace now.
- I can't believe I'm saying this, but I like the mirrors. The paint looks like it has a little flake in it, and the contrast is nice in my opinion.

Overall, I'm really happy with how the car looks and how the materials feel. Now I just can't wait to get mine so I can drive it.
Attached Images

02-09-2014, 07:23 PM   #18
number1draftpick
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomps View Post
Great pics. Thanks a ton!

How much would you say the black hides the accent lines of the car? Really love the look as a whole, but aside from the maintenance problems, my only other concern is whether the black hides the details or if the metallic strain still allows the accent lines to stick out. For example, in most of the pics it's pretty hard to distinguish any of the front bumper details, but that could totally not be the case in person.
Hey, this is something I worry about as well in considering Black Sapphire. In person at the auto show the lines were clearly visible. However, it was of course very bright in there. In reality, I do think in many cases black hides some of the detail/lines of the car. That's often the case pictures, for example, as you already noted in the ones I took vs. what I actually saw. I've also noticed that in reality as I've been recently comparing Black Sapphire BMWs to lighter ones I see on the road.

That hasn't totally swayed me away from Black Sapphire though. Its a nice, aggressive color that will look great with carbon fiber bits.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2014, 07:30 PM   #19
number1draftpick
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmboone25 View Post
So I saw the red M235 in Chicago today - here are some of my thoughts :

- I was impressed with the "snugness" of the interior - it felt like it was more driver focused than my E82. Everything kind of molds around you.
- most of the materials are soft and very nice to touch. Not all though. The area around the gear shift, for example, it pretty hard plastic and looks like it could be scratched relatively easily. But like I said, the overwhelming majority of surfaces are nice.
- the steering wheel feels slightly less squishy than the one on my E82, but is very similar. It is smooth leather all around, instead of having sections that are perforated leather like in the E82.
- it's definitely bigger on the inside. I think the biggest difference is in the width of the car. Definitely better in the back seat and passenger side compared to the E82. Just more room all around. Depends on your point of view whether this is good or not. The middle of the back seat is also useless like it is in the E82. Not sure why BMW puts the dumb plastic thing in the middle.
- the trunk was locked so I couldn't check that out - I wanted to see how much bigger the opening looked.
- the leather does feel good, which surprised me. I have never liked the Dakota leather in my E82 - it always felt cheap to me. This didn't feel cheap, but nice and soft instead. No plastic texture at all. I was impressed with this.
- the gauges looked nice but wouldn't turn on, so I can't comment on how they really looked. Nothing drastically different from the E82 here, but a nice update nonetheless.
- from the outside, the car does look really nice in person. The front is aggressive, the side profile is sleek, and the rear (I'm happy to say) looks pretty good. Still not as nice as the butt on the E82, but not nearly as bad as I thought based on how it looked in pictures. The front especially is a 1000% improvement over the E82.
- the wheels....well I have been worried about the gunmetal, which also looks better in person than what pictures seem to show. They aren't that dark, it's a nice shade to be honest. The biggest detriment, in my opinion, is the size. It's had to believe that an 18 can be considered small, but when looking at the M3 and then the M235 (they're next to each other in Chicago) they just don't look big enough. Might have to change that after all.
- the diffuser is actually just fine - plenty of room for improvement, but it looks much "tighter" than the pictures would have you believe. It is also painted in a similar color to that of the exhaust pipes and looks like a part that I don't think I will replace now.
- I can't believe I'm saying this, but I like the mirrors. The paint looks like it has a little flake in it, and the contrast is nice in my opinion.

Overall, I'm really happy with how the car looks and how the materials feel. Now I just can't wait to get mine so I can drive it.
Glad to see confirmation of what I saw in many cases. We definitely agree on the leather being nice (pretty similar to E90 leather and the same as F30 leather), the silver rear view mirors, the diffuser being nice in person and fitting with the exhaust pipes, the small wheels and the great front end /

Looks like you got a better side profile view that I did. I was able to open the trunk and the opening seemed reasonable to me, didn't measure or anything but I wasn't too concerned.

FYI, things like hard plastic around the gear shift are also there on the F30 so BMW didn't specifically cheap out for the 2 series. However, I would agree that in reviewing the CLA again (which is ugly to me so not even under consideration), the interior which I also don't like because of that tiny thick tom tom nav and millions of buttons has better leather seats with nicer contrast stick detail and seems to have leather on more surfaces vs plastic.

Overall, I can't wait to test drive. Dealer's demo car is at the port in LA. Just waiting for BMW to release it!
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2014, 09:08 PM   #20
Seagull
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: F87 M2, E84 X1

Quote:

Thanks for the pics and the review! The rear pics are finally looking good from a distance!
      02-11-2014, 02:01 PM   #21
dmboone25
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
2007 328i  [10.00]
Quote:
Glad to see confirmation of what I saw in many cases. We definitely agree on the leather being nice (pretty similar to E90 leather and the same as F30 leather), the silver rear view mirors, the diffuser being nice in person and fitting with the exhaust pipes, the small wheels and the great front end /

Looks like you got a better side profile view that I did. I was able to open the trunk and the opening seemed reasonable to me, didn't measure or anything but I wasn't too concerned.

FYI, things like hard plastic around the gear shift are also there on the F30 so BMW didn't specifically cheap out for the 2 series. However, I would agree that in reviewing the CLA again (which is ugly to me so not even under consideration), the interior which I also don't like because of that tiny thick tom tom nav and millions of buttons has better leather seats with nicer contrast stick detail and seems to have leather on more surfaces vs plastic.

Overall, I can't wait to test drive. Dealer's demo car is at the port in LA. Just waiting for BMW to release it!
I was literally there when the show opened, so I was able to scamper back to where the BMW booth is (way in the back in Chicago) and try to get some decent shots.

I was really relieved to see how the car looked in person, especially from the front, which is just so nice in my opinion. The back isn't perfect by any means, but it will work for me.

As far as the test drive goes, I am hoping to snag one too before my car makes it to the US. It is somewhere in the Atlantic right now, hopefully at "ramming speed"