THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Motor and dct swap

04-25-2024, 11:34 AM   #1
ScooterZooney
Registered
Rep
Drives: f22 m235i

Motor and dct swap

Hey guys any and all help is appreciated. I have a 2014 m235i f22 with the 6speed zf trans. The n55 motor is blown and 2nd gear synchro on trans is destroyed. I found a 2011 135i with n55 and dct trans for sale. Am I able to use the n55 from that year and model and also can I do the dct trans swap onto the f22 and if so what do I need to make it compatible ? Thank you
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2024, 05:25 PM   #2
Shirazkhan
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: bmw

Would of been even better if you could source a b58 with zf.
Anyways.Just of hand difference i can think of is the 135 would be pwg and yours ewg,thats if both engines i assume are n55b3000.
Downpipes are different.
Boost pipes are different.
Few mods will need to be done regarding the original engine wiring harness,flash/code ecu,cluster,abs,diff and fem modules.
You will need the pwg system from donor.
The dct from the 135 is different to the m2 f87,so mods will need to be made.
You will then need the dct tcu,the dct shifter,the dct shifter will need some kind of mod to make it fit,cables,wiring harness,dct mounts with the brackets(will need some modifications to fit)the steering wheel paddles can be modified and retrofitted to your original steering wheel,the steering wheel wiring harness,dct clutches,and then coding/flashing of several modules to make them all talk to each other.
Dct cooler with brackets and piping.
Your mechanic will need to check regarding the propshaft,i know the length is differnet on both, but the coupling he will need to see.
This is just off my head now,but the mechanic doing the conversion will have a better idea on what else needs to be done.
Its not going to be a simple plug and play.
The other option would be to use the pwg and just source another zf or get your existing one repaired and keep the car original.
Good luck on your build.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2024, 05:29 PM   #3
ScooterZooney
Registered
Rep
Drives: f22 m235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirazkhan View Post
Would of been even better if you could source a b58 with zf.
Anyways.Just of hand only difference i can think of is the 135 would be pwg and yours ewg,thats if both engines i assume are n55b3000.
Few mods will need to be done regarding the original engine wiring harness,flash/code ecu,cluster,abs,diff and fem modules.
You will need the pwg system from donor.
The dct from the 135 is different to the m2 f87,so mods will need to be made.
You will then need the dct tcu,the dct shifter,the dct shifter will need some kind of mod to make it fit,cables,wiring harness,dct mounts with the brackets(will need some modifications to fit)the steering wheel paddles can be modified and retrofitted to your original steering wheel,the steering wheel wiring harness,dct clutches,and then coding/flashing of several modules to make them all talk to each other.
Dct cooler with brackets and piping.
You will need to remove/block clutch fluid lines,slave cylinder and master cylinder mod,and remove clutch pedal.
Your mechanic will need to check regarding the propshaft,i know the length is differnet on both, but the coupling he will need to see.
This is just off my head now,but the mechanic doing the conversion will have a better idea on what else needs to be done.
Its not going to be a simple plug and play.
The other option would be to use the pwg and just source another manual gearbox or get your existing one repaired and keep the car original.
Good luck on your build.
Thank you for the info. Is it doable to do b58 swap w zf onto the f22. I assume it would be from the m2?
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2024, 05:33 PM   #4
Shirazkhan
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Yes it is,b58 was not used on the m2.On the f22 b58 was used in the 240.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2024, 05:34 PM   #5
Shirazkhan
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

And it was the zf8hp and not the zf6.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2024, 07:34 AM   #6
freakystyly
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F22 B58 6MT

There's a lot more work than switching just the motor and transmission FYI. Let alone switching from manual to automatic. It sounds easier than it is.
Appreciate 0