THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Ordering exhaust from Dinan

09-26-2016, 01:27 PM   #23
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Any BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by phily View Post
Hey. The guys at Dinan told me that a guy in Sacramento, probably you, and I are the oldest orders outstanding. He also told me that it should ship soon, possibly the next day - that was on Wednesday or Thursday, but I don't think it's happened yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallm View Post
Both are shipping today (Niello / Paddock). Were supposed to come in last week but alas... sometimes it just doesn't happen like it is supposed to. Should get calls from your respective dealers soon. Enjoy.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2016, 03:22 PM   #24
Smallm
Old Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i, Dinan stage 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_Engineering View Post
Both are shipping today (Niello / Paddock). Were supposed to come in last week but alas... sometimes it just doesn't happen like it is supposed to. Should get calls from your respective dealers soon. Enjoy.
Well said and too true. Thank You
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2016, 06:56 PM   #25
phily
Rep
Drives: Sapphire X3 M40i

Awesome! Hopefully I'll get a chance to enjoy it before the snow comes.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2016, 03:59 PM   #26
Smallm
Old Member
Rep

I got mine , Dealer just called
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2016, 07:15 PM   #27
qnet
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 Jeep Wrangler, 18 M2 LBB

I installed my exhaust. I have the resonator delete coming Monday but was curious, and couldn't wait.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2016, 09:33 AM   #28
Smallm
Old Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by qnet View Post
I installed my exhaust. I have the resonator delete coming Monday but was curious, and couldn't wait.
So , what do you think so far ?
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2016, 06:59 AM   #29
qnet
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallm View Post
So , what do you think so far ?
I like it. It's a little deeper sounding than the MPE, but doesn't get too loud.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2016, 07:40 PM   #30
Smallm
Old Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by qnet View Post
I like it. It's a little deeper sounding than the MPE, but doesn't get too loud.
With the Dinan resonator delete kit , I can hear it in the cab, perfect !

CAUTION: These old ears are NOT to be trusted .
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2016, 11:22 AM   #31
phily
Rep
Drives: Sapphire X3 M40i

Absolutely loving my S3 set up. The exhaust sounds awesome - no resonator delete for me, as I don't want the car to be any louder. Especially love the sound during a cold start up. And as for performance - awesome.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2016, 12:40 PM   #32
qnet
Major
United_States
Rep

I'm really happy with the exhaust and resonator delete kit. The exhaust was a little difficult getting lined up correctly by myself but I finally got it.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2016, 06:26 AM   #33
Sunny_M240I
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 m240ix Sunset Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_Engineering View Post
It's not normal but we are in a bit of a transition at the moment in shifting a lot of the more popular high volume running exhausts to robotics and its been a bit of a challenge. In the end it will mean more volume and quicker turns but its had its fair share of growing pains thus far. It doesn't help that this year exhaust demand spiked nearly 4x more then usual. In talking with other vendors it seems to be the case across the board for everyone. Regardless, all the major lines we have now caught up on or have significantly reduced. The only 3 SKUs that are really a problem at this point are the -0047/-0048 (the M235i exhausts) and -0054 (X5M exhaust). In reality the X5M exhaust is pretty minimal and is only a problem because that one has to be done by hand from start to finish. I haven't heard an updated ETA on the M235i exhaust but I have to imagine they would be the next one to be resolved since they are the only ones left.
Do you ship to Canada?
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2016, 07:48 AM   #34
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Any BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_M2_ View Post
Do you ship to Canada?
We ship worldwide as do the vast majority of our dealers/distrubutors.
Appreciate 1
      07-26-2017, 11:00 AM   #35
Tano22
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M4 Competition XDrive

Garage List
qnet phily Gentlemen, a quick question. I bought and installed the exhaust. Love the sound, but the tips are protruding a bit more than I'd like. I don't have the m perf diffuser and made sure to order the corresponding part #. Double checked the box and it was supposedly the right one. Dinan rep tells me only difference between the 2 is exhaust tip length.

Are either of you guys running the exhaust with the regular diffuser, and if so, can you measure and post your exhaust tip length?
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2017, 11:06 AM   #36
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tano22 View Post
qnet phily Gentlemen, a quick question. I bought and installed the exhaust. Love the sound, but the tips are protruding a bit more than I'd like. I don't have the m perf diffuser and made sure to order the corresponding part #. Double checked the box and it was supposedly the right one. Dinan rep tells me only difference between the 2 is exhaust tip length.

Are either of you guys running the exhaust with the regular diffuser, and if so, can you measure and post your exhaust tip length?
Not a direct answer to your question, but when I first had my MPE installed the tips stuck out too much. They hadn't cut the stock one far enough back and needed to remove another inch (or so I was told). Might be worth checking that out after verifying that your tips are all the way on.
Appreciate 1
Tano22147.50
      07-26-2017, 11:11 AM   #37
Tano22
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post
Not a direct answer to your question, but when I first had my MPE installed the tips stuck out too much. They hadn't cut the stock one far enough back and needed to remove another inch (or so I was told). Might be worth checking that out after verifying that your tips are all the way on.
Thank you for the reply. I checked this morning and it appears to be cut enough. the way this exhaust is manufactured, the hangers aren't really adjustable so it goes where it goes regardless of where it is cut, I assume. I did check the measurement from the muffler to the midpipe and it appears to have been cut appropriately. If not, then that's an easy fix. I'd honestly prefer Dinan come back with that as an answer than the alternative, which is that they mistakenly shipped me a 48 instead of 47!

Here's a gratuitous photo of the underbelly.

You can see how the hangers are bolted on....Just not sure I can move the muffler further back given the positioning of the hangers.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2017, 11:17 AM   #38
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You can see how the hangers are bolted on....Just not sure I can move the muffler further back given the positioning of the hangers.
You should send them that photo if you haven't already and should have an answer soon enough. I can try and take a pic of mine later for you but just on initial inspection, keep in mind I have MPE and have never even test fit a Dinan one, it appears very close to the rear heat shield and looks like it could be more centered in the cavity. That's just a quasi-educated guess based purely on aesthetics.

If you don't get a good answer from them contact Matt Bean at Thompson. He's their Dinan guy and insists on doing most of the work himself, he's wonderfully OCD to the point of needing medication IMO. He's done countless exhaust installs, Dinan included, and could tell you in 2 seconds whether or not that looks right.

EDIT: One other thing to check, and again I could be wrong. Mine was all wonky when they did it in addition to sticking out too far. The hangers are not adjustable but they had to both shorten the pipe and rotate the whole thing up and back into the cavity. So in your photo those spot welds that look like an L, imagine the base of that rotating towards the front of the car and also up towards the roof of the car. Check your gaps on the tips if they are very close to the top edge of the diffuser that could be another sign that you need to clip the midpipe some more and sort of rotate the thing into position. Probably not explaining that well hope it makes some sense. Imagine looking at the back of your car head-on, holding the back box in each hand, and rotating it towards you while moving it away from you and raising it more vertically. That's basically what needed to be done, on mine at least.
Appreciate 1
Tano22147.50
      07-26-2017, 11:27 AM   #39
Tano22
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
You should send them that photo if you haven't already and should have an answer soon enough. I can try and take a pic of mine later for you but just on initial inspection, keep in mind I have MPE and have never even test fit a Dinan one, it appears very close to the rear heat shield and looks like it could be more centered in the cavity. That's just a quasi-educated guess based purely on aesthetics.

If you don't get a good answer from them contact Matt Bean at Thompson. He's their Dinan guy and insists on doing most of the work himself, he's wonderfully OCD to the point of needing medication IMO. He's done countless exhaust installs, Dinan included, and could tell you in 2 seconds whether or not that looks right.

EDIT: One other thing to check, and again I could be wrong. Mine was all wonky when they did it in addition to sticking out too far. The hangers are not adjustable but they had to both shorten the pipe and rotate the whole thing up and back into the cavity. So in your photo those spot welds that look like an L, imagine the base of that rotating towards the front of the car and also up towards the roof of the car. Check your gaps on the tips if they are very close to the top edge of the diffuser that could be another sign that you need to clip the midpipe some more and sort of rotate the thing into position. Probably not explaining that well hope it makes some sense. Imagine looking at the back of your car head-on, holding the back box in each hand, and rotating it towards you while moving it away from you and raising it more vertically. That's basically what needed to be done, on mine at least.
Yes I've been dealing with James at Dinan and he's been very attentive so far. Thanks for the heads up on those other potential solutions. You've given me a couple of other ideas of photos to send to Dinan. Hoping for a simple solution
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2017, 11:35 AM   #40
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Yes I've been dealing with James at Dinan and he's been very attentive so far. Thanks for the heads up on those other potential solutions. You've given me a couple of other ideas of photos to send to Dinan. Hoping for a simple solution
I just stuck my hand under my car and I've got what I'm guessing is 1.5 to 2 inches between box and heat shield on the bumper side if that helps you at all. Unsure size Dinan vs MPE though.
Appreciate 1
Tano22147.50
      07-26-2017, 11:41 AM   #41
Tano22
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I just stuck my hand under my car and I've got what I'm guessing is 1.5 inches between box and heat shield on the bumper side if that helps you at all. Unsure size Dinan vs MPE though.
Appreciate your help. Just measured the distance between top of tip and diffuser and it's 1". My tip length is 5" from weld to tip and 4.5" from back of the finished portion (black) to tip.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2017, 11:46 AM   #42
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I just stuck my hand under my car and I've got what I'm guessing is 1.5 inches between box and heat shield on the bumper side if that helps you at all. Unsure size Dinan vs MPE though.
Appreciate your help. Just measured the distance between top of tip and diffuser and it's 1". My tip length is 5" from weld to tip and 4.5" from back of the finished portion (black) to tip.
Hm that seems like kind of a lot depending on size of tips vs stock diameter. Mine is less than half that which would again point to the whole thing going further up once pushed back and rotated.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2017, 02:44 PM   #43
Tano22
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Hm that seems like kind of a lot depending on size of tips vs stock diameter. Mine is less than half that which would again point to the whole thing going further up once pushed back and rotated.
Looks like we're going to either have to cut or try to wiggle it in a little bit more, about an inch or so.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2017, 03:29 PM   #44
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Looks like we're going to either have to cut or try to wiggle it in a little bit more, about an inch or so.
Keep us posted and good luck!
Appreciate 0