BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > M2 Autocar October 22nd issue - new engine in the works

10-31-2014, 01:17 PM   #89
bluekn8286
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 BMW M3 Dinan S1

Already on the list at Thomas BMW
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2014, 05:11 PM   #90
imserious
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 MR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cope View Post
M-cars almost always use S-derived engines. The 1M was a recent exception and that was probably due to time constraints... but the M2 is having significantly more development time which is probably why a lot of people are upset about the idea of the N55 being used.
Maybe it will be a N55 M-performance engine to slot in between the N55 and the S55?

Just kidding. Just make it good, BMW. We'll forgive all your heritage breaking, money grabbing moves if the car blows our socks off. Then no one will care... that much.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2014, 06:10 PM   #91
Roundown
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cope
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramos View Post
Oh yeah, the same reliable source that confirmed a 4 cylinder M2 for months !!

That reliable source, right?
No, I was talking about this:

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=901686

I'm pretty sure he has yet to be wrong, he chimed in on this thread I believe on page 2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson View Post
Ok, being new to BMW I don't mean to offend anyone when I say this, but what difference does it make whether its an N54, N55, S55 or XYZ123, apart from what I assume is tune ability?

Put another way, lets assume that given that exact same hp and torque figures, including curves for all three engines above, it matters nought. Say they all had 400 hp and 500 nm, identical power and torque curves, wouldn't we be happy with any one of the engines?

So ultimately its not the engine, its what BMW do to the engine to make it perform the way we want it to in the M2.

After all, we're not talking hand built bespoke engines such as Ferrari are we?

If the M2 comes with close to 400 hp and 500+ nm then I couldn't give a damn what letters / numbers the engine has.
N54 is a twin turbo i6 (generally 2011 and earlier x35i models)
N55 is a single turbo twinscroll i6 (generally 2011 and later x35i models)
S55 is a twin turbo i6 based off of the N55 (used in the M3/4)

The N54 was the motor used in the 1M and is generally considered a more tune-able engine than the N55, albeit less reliable in stock form. The S55 was configured by the M division in such a way that it deviated so much from the original as to warrant a new engine code.

In response to the bolded text: that idealized situation just doesn't exist. There are way too many factors that are readily apparent if you were to drive them back to back that'll quickly make you play favorites. The sum of all of the parts put together is what matters, indeed one of the most important pieces is which engine they shove in up front.

M-cars almost always use S-derived engines. The 1M was a recent exception and that was probably due to time constraints... but the M2 is having significantly more development time which is probably why a lot of people are upset about the idea of the N55 being used.

And about hand built engines, there were actually hand built S engines, but they haven't done that for decades in production cars...
Individual throttle bodies in the N54, valvetronic in the N55.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2014, 07:06 PM   #92
RingMeister01
Croatian
No_Country
Rep
Drives: PORSCHE

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavpilot2k
Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
The problem is that we have no idea what an uprated N55 entail. It could use parts from the S55 as far as we know.
True.
Actually, in the strictest sense, the S55 is nothing more than an "uprated" N55, right? Same foundation.
Looking for an SUV
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2014, 08:11 PM   #93
Ramos
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 2020 M340

In response to a previous comment, no it's not just about HP and torque numbers, with turbo engines, it's about how fast and hard the revs build up, and whether or not the motor can sustain power at high rpm and not fall flat on its face beyond 5500 rpm. (Think 550 vs M5, sorry I don't know these engine codes)

It's also about turbo lag and throttle response, all areas where the S55 is much superior to the N55.

In conclusion, an N55 with a 375 HP tune is not good enough for an M car
Appreciate 0