THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Watered down M235i still worth it?

08-25-2014, 08:52 AM   #1
USPSALIMITED
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Ford Fusion

Watered down M235i still worth it?

Very new person here, this is a great forum by the way.
I've done due dilligence on the car buying thing I think and am pretty much ready to make a sales person happy, have one question that I haven't been able to track down by searching.

Will be using the car as a daily driver, need an automatic transmission and the weather dictates tires that will work when it is 0 f as well as 100 f.
Do you folks think the car would be a good choice under those conditions or is it like buying the Mona Lisa and adding a mustache?

Have also been wondering if there is a good case for not adding limited slip (ok, guess I had 2 questions) , better gas mileage, less likely for the rear end to step out while cornering on wet roads, or something like that?
Thanks!

Last edited by USPSALIMITED; 08-25-2014 at 09:07 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2014, 09:06 AM   #2
hyperzulu
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Odd questions, tbh (but questions non-enthusiasts might ask?). Most of us want the quality, balance and sportiness that BMW offers. If we didn't want the sportiness along with all those things, there are much cheaper cars that fit the bill.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2014, 09:15 AM   #3
USPSALIMITED
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperzulu View Post
Odd questions, tbh (but questions non-enthusiasts might ask?). Most of us want the quality, balance and sportiness that BMW offers. If we didn't want the sportiness along with all those things, there are much cheaper cars that fit the bill.
My very first post and I get slapped for the quality of my questions .

Anyway, I think you just said 'no it is not worth it under those conditions ' ?
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2014, 09:24 AM   #4
WI_Rob
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335is

Sent you a PM. Check your forum inbox.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2014, 09:32 AM   #5
hyperzulu
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Well I did say maybe common for non enthusiasts... implying/asking if that fits you. Someone looking at new cars might just want a nice car. That's fine. There are many nice cars. I just think when you buy BMW, Audi, or any premium brand or model, there must be a reason for it. For most BMW enthusiasts, it is about wanting a car that has many qualities done well all in one.

If you want a car that isn't an all around all star, paying big bucks is not a bad life choice, just not the most necessary. You could be happy in an Acura, which are great, premium cars too, but come in at a lower price point. But I think BMW still adds more fun to the equation, and your questions seem to suggest that fun isn't what you're after. If I'm wrong, I apologize.

That being said, runflat all-sport tires, automatic transmission and no LSD is still a fun BMW. No question. And LSD without activating the traction control off switch is pretty much no LSD.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2014, 09:33 AM   #6
five3three
Major
Rep
Drives: m2c

Quote:
Originally Posted by USPSALIMITED View Post
Very new person here, this is a great forum by the way.
I've done due dilligence on the car buying thing I think and am pretty much ready to make a sales person happy, have one question that I haven't been able to track down by searching.

Will be using the car as a daily driver, need an automatic transmission and the weather dictates tires that will work when it is 0 f as well as 100 f.
Do you folks think the car would be a good choice under those conditions or is it like buying the Mona Lisa and adding a mustache?

Have also been wondering if there is a good case for not adding limited slip (ok, guess I had 2 questions) , better gas mileage, less likely for the rear end to step out while cornering on wet roads, or something like that?
Thanks!

I don't see how this is watered down. Probably the majority of folks get the auto (and it is faster than the manual). Getting all seasons or whatever tires you want are fine as it doesn't affect performance for a daily driver. In regards to the LSD, you wouldn't be in the minority of folks who don't bother with it and you wouldn't go wrong with or without it.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2014, 09:38 AM   #7
bernstem
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

The 235 will work very well as a year round driver. If you need to drive in the snow or you get a lot of snow, you should consider investing in a set of winter snow tires. They will make a huge difference in performance. My last BMW had snow tires in Michigan and I could go up hills that AWD cars with all-season tires struggled to climb.

The LSD is not at all required and you can easily pass on it. You may want to consider it if you spend time on a track. On the street, if you are driving it hard enough to really benefit from or notice the addition of the LSD, I don't want to be on the road with you. If you don't track it a lot, I would recommend driving it with the stock differential before springing for the LSD. An LSD will also help in snow, but, again, you may want to see how the car does with the stock differential before dropping the cash on the LSD.

I have the auto transmission. While the manual is certainly more engaging, I think the auto is great and it fits what I want from the car more than a stick. Ultimately, this is your car and you should get what you want. If it makes you feel any better about considering an automatic, I would bet most M235s are being sold as autos.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2014, 10:31 AM   #8
golf_234
Captain
Rep
Drives: E46, E90, F30

That will not be a watered down car. The auto is faster than the manual box, and the lsd is a fairly rare port installed option. The car is a bat out of hell any way you break it down. Every single time you drive it, you will appreciate how nice it is. Made the huge mistake of leaving BMW for Mercedes for my last car (complete nightmare), and now that I am back it makes me realize how truly great these cars are.
      08-25-2014, 10:37 AM   #9
dwvcfii
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1998 328is, 2006 330ci ZHP

Contrary to popular opinion, all the electronic nannies they put on cars these days cannot violate the laws of physics. You may find yourself needing to correct oversteer in the course of normal driving, either in snow or wet weather. If you are in any way frightened of this or driving the car with the nannies turned off you need driver training. You should never be afraid of using your vehicle throughout its useful performance envelope. BMW's performance center courses are EXCELLENT. Consider delivery at the performance center if that's logistically possible and they'll throw in some track time for "free".

As for tires, regardless of what tires the car comes with you need to understand that all-season tires are a compromise for "all seasons". They will work under most temperature conditions. The purists around here (including me) who run their BMWs all year round have two sets of wheels and tires (one with summer rubber and the other with winter rubber) and then swap with the seasons. If you can't afford to do that I'd recommend avoiding any packages that equip the car from the factory with summer-only rubber.

In low traction conditions vehicles equipped with an open rear (and no electronic nannies enabled) will spin one wheel while the other remains stopped. Modern BMWs equipped with traction control will apply brakes to the spinning wheel to transfer power to the other wheel. I've found an LSD is more helpful in the snow, as it delivers power consistently to both rear wheels and actually reduces rear brake wear as the traction control system does not activate as often. I would get the LSD without question, though you need to understand they do require additional maintenance -- fluid changes every 30K miles and eventual replacement of the friction plates (an overhaul of the LSD core, basically), as the friction plates wear out over time.
      08-25-2014, 10:50 AM   #10
Pray for Mojo
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i & 2018 X3 M40i

Buy snow tires for winter.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2014, 02:01 PM   #11
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

When buying a new car, always get it fully loaded.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2014, 02:45 PM   #12
jbenington86
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i, 2017 Tundra

Garage List
2015 M235i  [0.00]
2008 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
When buying a new car, always get it fully loaded.
I would not take this advice especially if you plan to keep the car for a long time. Get what you want. I got a base model 128i with no options added to it. It's been 5 years don't regret it and plan on keeping it.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2014, 02:46 PM   #13
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbenington86 View Post
I would not take this advice especially if you plan to keep the car for a long time. Get what you want. I got a base model 128i with no options added to it. It's been 5 years don't regret it and plan on keeping it.
Different people think differently nothing wrong with that.
Glad you are enjoying your car

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2014, 03:37 PM   #14
mmmmm235i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 440xi GC

If by watered down you are referring to the decreased top speed from 155 to 130 then you definitely want the summer tires and get a dedicated winter set. Unless you have x-drive the all season tires will hardly do you any good during winter in the midwest. Some may argue it doesn't matter, others have owned cars with runflats and hate them, and others like to go very fast. I do not think the all season tires are the choice if you make it so that you can drive the car in the winter.
I'm pretty sure most of us do not have LSD, but you can always add that later. That being said the car doesn't feel "watered down" without it, at least on the street.
Hope this is helpful

RETIRED:
2018 440xi GC, Carbon Black on Black/Blue
2014 M235i Black on Black, DINAN Stage 2
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2014, 03:56 PM   #15
USPSALIMITED
Private
United_States
Rep

Informative, my thanks.

Spent some time test driving (335, no M235 available locally) and tire kicking.

M235i on order.

I hate you people .

I still wonder if there is a performance related case for the standard differential though. It seems strange that BMW would leave LS out as a cost savings, given that you can get it at reasonable cost on many modestly priced vehicles, also, I can remember driving older muscle cars with LS on slick roads and feeling very insecure about where the back end was going if I did not feather the throttle perfectly. Not important and I'm probably just looking at things wrong, but for the moment it makes me go hmmm.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2014, 04:05 PM   #16
jbenington86
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i, 2017 Tundra

Garage List
2015 M235i  [0.00]
2008 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Informative, my thanks.

M235i on order.

I hate you people .
Don't hate us 2 much soon you will be assimilated.

Gratz on the order you won't regret it at least I haven't yet with any of my other BMWs.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2014, 04:16 PM   #17
SmallTownBoy
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '14 M235i 6MT PSS BSM

Quote:
Informative, my thanks.

Spent some time test driving (335, no M235 available locally) and tire kicking.

M235i on order.

I hate you people .
Congrats and you're welcome!

I'm one of the crew that insisted on the Michelin PSS summer non-RFT. I'll be getting a set of dedicated winter rims and winter (not a/s) tires. Check the "wheels and tires" subforum in "Technical Topics" for some good discussions.

Having learned to drive on ice, I think that (when driven correctly) a RWD on winter tires is better than most 4WD on a/s.
      08-25-2014, 04:23 PM   #18
bernstem
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

In my opinion, there are really two situations that benefit from a LSD. The first is on the track. The second is in the snow. The benefit in each situation is real, but marginal. The car without the LSD is going to plenty capable in either situation and the vast majority of buyers either won't need or won't notice the absence. For the remaining small number, they will spring for the LSD. I initially was critical of the lack of LSD, but honestly I would use it maybe a half dozen times per year. After living with the car for a month, I can do without it. If it gets to the point where I would use it more often, I'll consider adding it. If you are unsure about how much a rather expensive option will benefit you that can be added later, you might as well wait and add it later if you want it.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2014, 04:42 PM   #19
ska///235i
***** noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325xi>M235i>428GCx Mspor

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
Bmw's E-LSD (aka open diff)

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=719012
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2014, 05:08 PM   #20
hyperzulu
Colonel
United_States
Rep

That's a very good writeup, but anyone who has pushed their e-Diff equipped BMW knows that you will indeed feel loss of power. It is abrupt and discouraging, not to mention the feeling of a loss in power (really a pause in forward momentum) sends a bit of a shiver down your spine.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2014, 05:25 PM   #21
USPSALIMITED
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ska///235i View Post
That helps !!
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2014, 11:09 PM   #22
krhodes1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i Wagon

Garage List
2011 128i  [10.00]
2011 BMW 328i Touring  [10.00]
Having owned several BMWs with LSD and living in a place where we get more than our fair share of snow - I would not choose an LSD over the e-diff for a daily driver.

An LSD is GREAT, right up until the point that it isn't great. Which is to say, up until the point you apply slightly too much torque and break both rear wheels loose, the LSD will help you go in the snow. Once you exceed that point, you go around in a circle, very quickly. I even got caught out on a wet, slightly oily off-camber intersection in the summer once. Car swapped ends so fast you would not believe it ('91 318is). Now add in the slightly less predictable throttle response of even the very best turbo engine and no thanks, I will stick with braking the spinning wheel. I suppose in theory you would still have the electronics even with the LSD, but I have to think the effectiveness would be reduced.

On a nice dry track? LSD all day long. But I also agree that if you are driving such that you notice the lack of an LSD on a public street, please slow down.

'11 328! Touring - Tasman on Chestnut, 6spd manual, factory upside-down "i" option
'11 128i Convertible - Space Gray on Savannah Beige, 6spd manual,
also '14 Mercedes-Benz E350 wagon, '95 Land Rover Discovery, '74 Triumph Spitfire
Appreciate 0