THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum What I truly Love about the M235i as I shop cars!

08-17-2014, 01:39 PM   #1
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

What I truly Love about the M235i as I shop cars!

Someone said I'm like the old man telling kids to get off the lawn. Ouch...sorry guys.

: )

So, as I am obsessing on what to buy and driving cars here is what I I LOVE about the M235i that makes it stand out vs other choices!

I have been looking at everything: 228i, Mk VII GTI and Golf R, Audi S3, 335i, E90/F80 M3s, used 1M, used 135is, 2015 Mustang, BRZ, Miata, Cayman, WRX

I LOVE:

1. The dimensions
Not too big, not too small, just right for normal people. It looks like a sports car but can carry my kids in the back.
2. Front engine, rear drive
3. Great Manual transmission (still offered! : ) )
4. More rear seat leg room than 1 series
5. You can still order with sunroof delete
6. Love Estoril Blue and Melbourne Red. ( Prefer the color choices over M3/M4 .)
7. M-Sport Brakes. LOVE THEM!
8. Looks...especially the side profile. Fantastic, front good too.
9. European Alcantara/Cloth Interior (Wish we could get that in USA!)
10. ZHP Weighted shift knob. The best BMW shift knob, finally on the M-sport. I like it better than perforated M-sport shift knob!

Thank you and congrats to all the new owners!

Last edited by nachob; 08-17-2014 at 01:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2014, 01:55 PM   #2
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

I don't know if getting the sunroof delete is considered a plus. I'm sure some people like it but most people, whether they use it or not, would like for the car to come with a sunroof. I parked my car next to my buddy's car that doesn't have a sunroof and his car looked a little off, IMO. I felt that it was missing something.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2014, 02:11 PM   #3
danimal
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 228i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW F22 View Post
I don't know if getting the sunroof delete is considered a plus. I'm sure some people like it but most people, whether they use it or not, would like for the car to come with a sunroof. I parked my car next to my buddy's car that doesn't have a sunroof and his car looked a little off, IMO. I felt that it was missing something.
On the 228i, you have to opt in to the moonroof, rather than opt out. But I decided not to get it and maintain some semblance of head room in the rear. So far, no regrets about that choice. On my cars that have had moonroofs, I only ever find myself using the vent feature, not actually sliding it open. Just not worth it for that IMO. The psychology is a little different, though, when you delete a feature (which probably would have added something to the resale) and don't get any money back for it. I probably still would have opted out, but it wouldn't have been as easy a choice.

Appreciate 0
      08-17-2014, 03:41 PM   #4
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Right! But that is what I love about it. CHOICE.

You can pick it with sunroof and have the choice. To me the M235i is heavy and would want to pick things that lighten it as much as possible. Sunroof, power seats, folding mirrors, automatics, all that stuff adds up and puts weight on. So I LOVE that I have a choice. My frustration is that the a lot of the choices have been taken away for US market like fixed M-Sport, no iDrive, etc. I love that they still give us a choice.

You like how the sunroof "looks" now imagine how you would feel if BMW USA took away that option? The rest of the world can get sunroof except USA? That is what is happening with Alcantara interior and some other things.

A very few of us, lean to lighter weight and are willing to give up little on "looks" or the venting feature, which like Danimal, I use all the time in my ZHP.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2014, 03:50 PM   #5
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
Right! But that is what I love about it. CHOICE.

You can pick it with sunroof and have the choice. To me the M235i is heavy and would want to pick things that lighten it as much as possible. Sunroof, power seats, folding mirrors, automatics, all that stuff adds up and puts weight on. So I LOVE that I have a choice. My frustration is that the a lot of the choices have been taken away for US market like fixed M-Sport, no iDrive, etc. I love that they still give us a choice.

You like how the sunroof "looks" now imagine how you would feel if BMW USA took away that option? The rest of the world can get sunroof except USA? That is what is happening with Alcantara interior and some other things.

A very few of us, lean to lighter weight and are willing to give up little on "looks" or the venting feature, which like Danimal, I use all the time in my ZHP.
To each his own. Hence I said that some people prefer no sunroof while most people do. Unless you're a hardcore enthusiast, you won't care about the extra weight of the sunroof. It's all personal preference. I don't need the extra headroom and I prefer the airiness feeling with the sunroof open so I didn't delete it.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2014, 04:07 PM   #6
ska///235i
***** noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325xi>M235i>428GCx Mspor

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
No roof here and no regrets
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2014, 04:09 PM   #7
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
To each his own. Hence I said that some people prefer no sunroof while most people do. Unless you're a hardcore enthusiast, you won't care about the extra weight of the sunroof. It's all personal preference. I don't need the extra headroom and I prefer the airiness feeling with the sunroof open so I didn't delete it.
Correct. I am a hard core enthusiast and I am grateful to have the choice.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2014, 04:27 PM   #8
basiluf
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 S450 2018 S90

I totally forgot I don't have a sunroof.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2014, 08:47 PM   #9
hoppy6698
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i, Estoril Blue on Black

It may sound odd, but as I approach my order, I am looking forward to the sunroof delete. In the 5 years I have owned my Audi A4, I have used my sunroof maybe a dozen times?

But when I attended track events, I had to lower my seat further to fit the helmet on while driving. One more reason to opt out - the moonroof just isn't made for enthusiasts and us weekend warrior drivers :P

Other reasons to opt out:
- Cutting a hole in the room subjects the vehicle to reduce structural integrity (may be slight, but its a fact)
- Not having the sunroof make the car cooler (temp). My moonroof can get real hot on summer days, which heats up the fabric cover, etc. Even though my roof isn't as hot. Sounds weird, but I think not having one would be cooler.
- With such a small clearance to enter the back (not my problem :P), any further room for the kids to climb in is less damage to my interior.
- Sound deadening - I think it will be slightly quieter overall. I have no proof of this. But at least I could always have the liner removed and put on dynamat. I know that removes heat and improves quietness.

But that could all be just me and my logic.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2014, 09:02 PM   #10
3.0L
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M235i, 20k miles

Quote:
Someone said I'm like the old man telling kids to get off the lawn. Ouch...sorry guys.

So, as I am obsessing on what to buy and driving cars here is what I I LOVE about the M235i that makes it stand out vs other choices!

I have been looking at everything: 228i, Mk VII GTI and Golf R, Audi S3, 335i, E90/F80 M3s, used 1M, used 135is, 2015 Mustang, BRZ, Miata, Cayman, WRX

I LOVE:

1. The dimensions
Not too big, not too small, just right for normal people. It looks like a sports car but can carry my kids in the back.
2. Front engine, rear drive
3. Great Manual transmission (still offered! : ) )
4. More rear seat leg room than 1 series
5. You can still order with sunroof delete
6. Love Estoril Blue and Melbourne Red. ( Prefer the color choices over M3/M4 .)
7. M-Sport Brakes. LOVE THEM!
8. Looks...especially the side profile. Fantastic, front good too.
9. European Alcantara/Cloth Interior (Wish we could get that in USA!)
10. ZHP Weighted shift knob. The best BMW shift knob, finally on the M-sport. I like it better than perforated M-sport shift knob!

Thank you and congrats to all the new owners!
This is why BMW has the build options list: build your car the way that floats your boat.

As for me, my M235i is loaded to the gills and I love it. And it goes like a scaled cat! Each to his own.

When writing your life's plan, use a pencil with an eraser
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2014, 09:42 PM   #11
Squddie
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E89 Z4

If I can't have a convertible I don't want a sunroot either.

Hopefully I can have a convertible next year.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2014, 09:53 PM   #12
Devon K
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: TBD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squddie View Post
IHopefully I can have a convertible next year.
It's already been spotted testing. I'm sure BMW will be happy to bend you over for an extra $15K for the 'vert...
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2014, 11:15 AM   #13
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0L View Post
This is why BMW has the build options list: build your car the way that floats your boat.

As for me, my M235i is loaded to the gills and I love it. And it goes like a scaled cat! Each to his own.
Actually the option list I want is not there. I would want idrive delete, badge delete, power seat delete, 300 lb delete and add temp gauges, add limited slip diff. Then I would be soooooo happy! Perfect car for me then.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2014, 11:17 AM   #14
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy6698 View Post
It may sound odd, but as I approach my order, I am looking forward to the sunroof delete. In the 5 years I have owned my Audi A4, I have used my sunroof maybe a dozen times?

But when I attended track events, I had to lower my seat further to fit the helmet on while driving. One more reason to opt out - the moonroof just isn't made for enthusiasts and us weekend warrior drivers :P

Other reasons to opt out:
- Cutting a hole in the room subjects the vehicle to reduce structural integrity (may be slight, but its a fact)
- Not having the sunroof make the car cooler (temp). My moonroof can get real hot on summer days, which heats up the fabric cover, etc. Even though my roof isn't as hot. Sounds weird, but I think not having one would be cooler.
- With such a small clearance to enter the back (not my problem :P), any further room for the kids to climb in is less damage to my interior.
- Sound deadening - I think it will be slightly quieter overall. I have no proof of this. But at least I could always have the liner removed and put on dynamat. I know that removes heat and improves quietness.

But that could all be just me and my logic.
I like venting the car with sunroof but that is all I give up for all the other benefits you described. More helmet room, less weight, less rattles later. Glad someone else gets it.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2014, 11:30 AM   #15
MikeT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235i

Quote:
Yes, 'sunroof delete' is most definitely a plus. For those of us who don't want or need a sunroof, it's absolutely great that BMW doesn't force it on us. Personally, I've ruled out the Audi A3/S3 because of their mandatory sunroof (no delete option).

Thank you, BMW!
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2014, 12:39 PM   #16
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

I ruled out S3. No manual! Didn't even ask about sunroof. Two strikes.
Thank you BMW for MT and sunroof delete.

If you thrown in iDrive delete ill name my next child Bimmer!
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2014, 02:13 PM   #17
danimal
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 228i

Garage List
I got my 2 Series with a two-cylinder delete

Appreciate 0
      08-29-2014, 02:34 PM   #18
3.0L
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M235i, 20k miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by danimal View Post
Good one!

Reminds me of an old joke:

Guy goes to Baskin-Robbins and orders a vanilla ice cream cone, without nuts.

Waiter says I'm sorry, we're out of nuts. Would you like it without strawberries?

When writing your life's plan, use a pencil with an eraser
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2014, 04:00 PM   #19
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by danimal View Post
BEST IN SHOW!
well done!
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2014, 11:37 PM   #20
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

I too am looking into my next car.
I really like the new Golf R, but of course I need to drive it to know if it stays on the list.
BRZ turbo could really sway me.
The new Mustang looks really sweet, and now with IRS it's a competitor.
M235i is at the top of the list, a convertible M235i would top that.
S3? I really need to drive it to see if it's worth the premium over the Golf R.
I would pick the GTI over the A3, something is off looking on the A3, that HUGE wheel gap is nauseating.

I don't track so I do like sunroofs. I find that I don't open it very much at all, but I really just like the added light. A nicely size glass pane w/tilt option would be something I could go with.
I too think it's cool that BMW offers a no sunroof option for those who just don't want it.
Options are a good thing.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2014, 08:27 AM   #21
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
I too am looking into my next car.
I really like the new Golf R, but of course I need to drive it to know if it stays on the list.
BRZ turbo could really sway me.
The new Mustang looks really sweet, and now with IRS it's a competitor.
M235i is at the top of the list, a convertible M235i would top that.
S3? I really need to drive it to see if it's worth the premium over the Golf R.
I would pick the GTI over the A3, something is off looking on the A3, that HUGE wheel gap is nauseating.

I don't track so I do like sunroofs. I find that I don't open it very much at all, but I really just like the added light. A nicely size glass pane w/tilt option would be something I could go with.
I too think it's cool that BMW offers a no sunroof option for those who just don't want it.
Options are a good thing.
Great points! I also like sunroof in sedans and bigger cars but the whole point of my original comments is as you said. I'm grateful Bmw still gives us the choice! Same with manual trans. It's nice to hear that other
Cars are treated with respect even if we are BMW Fans these other cars are worthy of consideration. My wife's gti is almost half the
Price of a Loaded 235i and gives you 95% of the fun. The golf R is really a
Compelling car at the moment and also offers MT. But as Chris Harris said its hard to get past rear drive for some of us! Great post thanks.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2014, 07:41 PM   #22
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Great points! I also like sunroof in sedans and bigger cars but the whole point of my original comments is as you said. I'm grateful Bmw still gives us the choice! Same with manual trans. It's nice to hear that other
Cars are treated with respect even if we are BMW Fans these other cars are worthy of consideration. My wife's gti is almost half the
Price of a Loaded 235i and gives you 95% of the fun. The golf R is really a
Compelling car at the moment and also offers MT. But as Chris Harris said its hard to get past rear drive for some of us! Great post thanks.
Appreciate 0