THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Quick question about comfort access

07-28-2014, 05:09 PM   #1
dreamspeed
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT

Quick question about comfort access

For those that DO NOT have comfort access, do you have to put your key fob into the dash slot first or can you start the car with the key fob in your pocket? Thanks
      07-28-2014, 05:17 PM   #2
SmallTownBoy
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '14 M235i 6MT PSS BSM

I've started my car with the fob in my pocket, and I don't have the comfort access option.
      07-28-2014, 05:53 PM   #3
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

you can have the fob in your pocket... that's not part of comfort access anymore that's standard for all bmws now
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2014, 06:27 PM   #4
mjposner
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 40i

Does your car have a slot or just a drawing on the side of the wheel.

My Car Photo Blog: http://carfisheye.blogspot.com/
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2014, 06:45 PM   #5
hans007
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjposner View Post
Does your car have a slot or just a drawing on the side of the wheel.

you can just leave the key in your pocket.

the only BMWs that still have a slot are the E series cars, like the Z4 and i think probably the X1
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2014, 07:12 PM   #6
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by hans007 View Post

the only BMWs that still have a slot are the E series cars, like the Z4 and i think probably the X1

Except, you have to pull it out to lock the doors if you don't add comfort access and you have to pull it out to unlock other doors.

It's pretty lame nowadays. Sadly, you almost have to get comfort access to reduce the annoyance. Even more sad, everyone is going this route.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2014, 07:30 PM   #7
pikcachu
Major General
Rep

well you don't really need to pull it out... you can probably click the button with the fob inside the pocket
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2014, 09:04 PM   #8
hans007
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
Except, you have to pull it out to lock the doors if you don't add comfort access and you have to pull it out to unlock other doors.

It's pretty lame nowadays. Sadly, you almost have to get comfort access to reduce the annoyance. Even more sad, everyone is going this route.

maybe i'm retarded, but i've had comfort access on loaner cars. my mom and dad both drive F25 X3s , and one has comfort access. my dad finds it impossible to use, so he never uses it.

to unlock the door with the little strip you are supposed to touch isn't really that much harder than clicking the fob in your pocket. honestly i thought it was hard to get to work every time when ive had loaner cars rather than just using the fob. maybe its just me but its not a must have for me.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2014, 09:15 PM   #9
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
maybe i'm retarded, but i've had comfort access on loaner cars. my mom and dad both drive F25 X3s , and one has comfort access. my dad finds it impossible to use, so he never uses it.

to unlock the door with the little strip you are supposed to touch isn't really that much harder than clicking the fob in your pocket. honestly i thought it was hard to get to work every time when ive had loaner cars rather than just using the fob. maybe its just me but its not a must have for me.
no, I'm like your dad, find it a lame answer to a question no one had. I think what you missed was that you have the option to get comfort access which lets you lock doors by touching them, etc. BUT if you don't pay for the option, they still did away with a place to put your key to start the car which is handy when you get out to lock it. If you don't have FULL comfort access, you have to find the key in your pocket, cup holder, wherever it fell and lock the door. Also when you get in, if you have family, you have to still unlock the other doors with your key fob. Again, what makes it lame is that they did away with the old way bringing on new annoyances but you have to pay for comfort access. The least they could've/should've done is that if they are going this route then it should just come with the car standard. If you pay for comfort access, you can do some of this by touching the handle, etc.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2014, 09:31 PM   #10
dreamspeed
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob
Quote:

This system is REALLY bugging me. My wife is thinking about leasing a 228 and we both love comfort access... But in order to get it you have to pay 4k for the premium package and literally the only thing we want in the premium package is the comfort access.
      07-28-2014, 11:07 PM   #11
pikcachu
Major General
Rep

Quote:

That's weird ... comfort access works wonderfully every time for me.... you just put your hand on the handle and it unlocks before you open the door...

do you have any metallic tint on the car?
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2014, 11:56 PM   #12
Daddycat
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Estoril Blue 228i M

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikcachu View Post
That's weird ... comfort access works wonderfully every time for me.... you just put your hand on the handle and it unlocks before you open the door...
Likewise, I don't understand the issue either. You walk up to the car and open the door...nothing special at all.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2014, 12:50 AM   #13
hans007
Major
Rep

Quote:

weird.

i only had it on a loaner car for a couple days. and it was raining. maybe i did it wrong or the rain. but it didn't seem to work every time so i got really annoyed with it.

it does suck, its only part of the premium pack on the F22. I think when they have offered it standalone (i know they did when i got my f30) it was $500. which seems a bit much, but I guess at least it was an option.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2014, 01:00 AM   #14
dreamspeed
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hans007
Quote:

weird.

i only had it on a loaner car for a couple days. and it was raining. maybe i did it wrong or the rain. but it didn't seem to work every time so i got really annoyed with it.

it does suck, its only part of the premium pack on the F22. I think when they have offered it standalone (i know they did when i got my f30) it was $500. which seems a bit much, but I guess at least it was an option.
I notice you said you unlock the door but touching the strip, actually the sensor is in the handle not the raised lines on the top. The lines are to lock the door and you touch the inside of the handle to unlock
      07-29-2014, 06:35 AM   #15
mjposner
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 40i

Mine opens easily but I can almost never get it to lock. I have tinted windows, but they said the tint was designed not to interfere with electric signals.

My Car Photo Blog: http://carfisheye.blogspot.com/
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2014, 09:52 AM   #16
Spitfi-r
Private
Rep
Drives: m235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamspeed View Post
This system is REALLY bugging me. My wife is thinking about leasing a 228 and we both love comfort access... But in order to get it you have to pay 4k for the premium package and literally the only thing we want in the premium package is the comfort access.
Yup. Comfort access is the only reason I got the premium. I didn't even want the leather. I kind of regret getting it now.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2014, 10:01 AM   #17
sstarrx3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 228i Mineral White/Terra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfi-r View Post
Yup. Comfort access is the only reason I got the premium. I didn't even want the leather. I kind of regret getting it now.
I can't live without the auto dimming mirrors. I hate being blinded by cars in my rear view mirror at night. I do love the comfort access though. Its better than our Nissan which is comfort access as well, but you have to push a button on the handle on the Nissan. I like just having to touch the handle and it unlocks. I know how lazy can we get...but it is nice.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2014, 10:29 AM   #18
pikcachu
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjposner View Post
Mine opens easily but I can almost never get it to lock. I have tinted windows, but they said the tint was designed not to interfere with electric signals.
so you put your finger on top of the little lines on the handle for around 1 second and it doesn't lock ?

Appreciate 0
      07-29-2014, 10:36 AM   #19
HX_Guy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstarrx3 View Post
I can't live without the auto dimming mirrors. I hate being blinded by cars in my rear view mirror at night. I do love the comfort access though. Its better than our Nissan which is comfort access as well, but you have to push a button on the handle on the Nissan. I like just having to touch the handle and it unlocks. I know how lazy can we get...but it is nice.
Not just the dimming mirrors, but you also get driver memory seat which is nice if more than one person drives the car plus the universal garage door opener which is great, I hate having a regular remote clipped to the visor or door, looks so cheap.
      07-29-2014, 10:52 AM   #20
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
Not just the dimming mirrors, but you also get driver memory seat which is nice if more than one person drives the car plus the universal garage door opener which is great, I hate having a regular remote clipped to the visor or door, looks so cheap.
LOL

I never get blinded, I just turn the little knob when it gets dark. Did you know you can turn the knob at night on non auto-dimming mirrors? The first time I owned a bmw I thought the red thing was an alarm only and couldn't figure it out for a couple of days.

I had a set of auto dimming mirrors in my Acura with no override and hated them too. They work ok in the city but when you hit the wide open country, they would revert to day mode when you went over a hill. As soon as the semi behind me would crest the hill, it would get blinded until the stupid mirror switched back to night mode. All through Texas, New Mexico, same stupid thing. I'm not sure of BMW ones are better but again, you just turn the knob at night and again in daytime. Not sure why anyone needs auto dimming but at to each his own. At least you can pick it. The problem with this stupid system is that they did away with the old key method even if you don't buy comfort access. You then have to pay a ton of money to get it even if you don't want it because it sucks without it now.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2014, 10:56 AM   #21
HX_Guy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M235i

I think you also get real leather as part of the Premium Pkg?

But really, I do agree that some (all?) of these options should be stand alone things, especially if you are doing a custom build.
      07-29-2014, 10:57 AM   #22
sstarrx3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 228i Mineral White/Terra

Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
Agreed!! I like all these things. Guess that is why when I had the dealer look for my car the Premium package was a must have for me!
Appreciate 0