THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Watered down M235i still worth it?

08-26-2014, 01:49 AM   #23
DSTR
Captain
Rep
Drives: 22 M240iX / 23 M2 Tor-Red

I dont consider any M235i watered down. Its well equipped out of the door from the factory. Is it perfect. No. No car is.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2014, 12:15 PM   #24
phoenixbmwlife
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i & G30 540i

Garage List
2014 BMW/M235i  [0.00]
Welcome to the forums first of all. I agree with others it's not really watered down. You made the right choice and you won't regret it. Be sure to post pictures when you get it.

Follow me on Insta

https://www.instagram.com/bmwm_life_/
https://www.instagram.com/autogiftua/
https://www.instagram.com/phoenixbmwlife/
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2014, 02:08 PM   #25
hoppy6698
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i, Estoril Blue on Black

So I guess the result of all this (read the 135 thread) is:
- Stock eLSD is fine for DD
- $3500 (quoted port installed MP LSD) may be better spent elsewhere (like winter tire set)
- LSD is really only recommended for often tracked vehicles or
- LSD is for those with the preferred feel / control of the mechanical LSD

I have a tendency to live north, but I'm not into the x drive. So, would I be right in thinking I would just be better off investing in a winter set of wheels/tires? IF I ever decide to track regularly, I can always add the LSD later.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2014, 02:31 PM   #26
SmallTownBoy
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '14 M235i 6MT PSS BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy6698 View Post
So, would I be right in thinking I would just be better off investing in a winter set of wheels/tires? IF I ever decide to track regularly, I can always add the LSD later.
Agree 100%.
      08-29-2014, 07:56 PM   #27
dreamspeed
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT

I'd hazard a guess that 90% of the people on the forums wouldn't be able to tell if a car had LSD in a blind test...

That and there wouldn't be much (if any) difference in normal day to day commuting
      08-30-2014, 07:44 PM   #28
Squddie
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E89 Z4

Many M+S tires (or all-season) tires are pretty good. It depends on what you want. Actual grip at maximum speed in a given radius? They won't do that. Tight, precise handling inside the safety envelope? No problem.

As others said you could also get a set of winter wheels. Or if you really care how it drives you put winter tires on the stock wheels and get the biggest wheels and widest summer tires you can for good weather.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2014, 10:21 PM   #29
Diver
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black '12 135i - Sold

An LSD will help some on the track, but does little on the street as compared to the much reviled traction control. If you have to live with temperatures from 0F to 100F you have my sympathies. 100F is a regular visitor here in Houston, but I can only remember a few days in the last four years that the cold weather warning came on, which I believe is 37F. All were during this unusually cold winter. Around here summer tires rule.
      08-30-2014, 10:41 PM   #30
USPSALIMITED
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Ford Fusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver View Post
If you have to live with temperatures from 0F to 100F you have my sympathies.
I've seen -20f and 103.

Am thinking I'll go with the winter tires option (and forgo LS now that folks have helped me gain a bit of understanding) . It would be really nice to have the right tires on when there is snow on the ground.

Only real puckersnatch I see is maybe a trip this winter to visit relatives who live in southern Florida, if my understanding is correct the cold weather tires would survive a vacation week down to warm country aok but would wear a bit fast.

Or, I could reset to plan 'A' and get the all seasons .
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2014, 11:00 PM   #31
hoppy6698
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i, Estoril Blue on Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by USPSALIMITED View Post
I've seen -20f and 103.

Am thinking I'll go with the winter tires option (and forgo LS now that folks have helped me gain a bit of understanding) . It would be really nice to have the right tires on when there is snow on the ground.

Only real puckersnatch I see is maybe a trip this winter to visit relatives who live in southern Florida, if my understanding is correct the cold weather tires would survive a vacation week down to warm country aok but would wear a bit fast.

Same for me. Since I am in the military, I never know where my next home is :P For me, I think 19s would look wildly better to fill the wheel arches and still be just as comfortable on the stock M suspension. I will save the OEM wheels for winter tires if ever needed. Always good to have a back up set

So, that saves me about $3450 at the dealer ... what toys to spend it on? Think I will have to start a build thread once my new baby arrives - wife has me limited to one upgrade a month after arrival :P
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2014, 06:45 AM   #32
USPSALIMITED
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy6698 View Post
what toys to spend it on?
I'm am not no way uh uh going to buy an exhaust before even hearing the car run (did not get to test drive a 235 as I live back where the hoot owls make eyes at the chickens).

Will probably have the order keyed in to my cell phone and push send as the car leaves the lot.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2014, 08:03 AM   #33
Diver
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black '12 135i - Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by USPSALIMITED View Post
I've seen -20f and 103.

Get all seasons, the grip is decent, actually better on cold mornings and they wear longer.
      08-31-2014, 08:11 AM   #34
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Any M235 is worth it
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2014, 08:39 AM   #35
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

The car choice is outstanding (although I am very happy with my 228i), but focusing on tires for our midwest climate where cold temps give up late and come back soon, regardless of snow on the ground, I suggest the following strategy, once you get past the original equipment or sooner if you wish. If you have the Michelin PSS (or any summer performance tire), they will start to freeze hard once we get under 40 degrees...and we all know how well a hockey puck slides, even on a dry road! However, even the best "all seasons" are insufficient for anything more than very light snow.

Michelin AS3 for three seasons
Michelin X Ice xi3 or Blizzak WS80 for winter (not Blizzak LM tires!)

Spare tire from bimmerzone.com

The AS3 come closest among so-called "all season" tires to providing summer performance tire capabilities while still more tolerant of temperature drops before the snow actually arrives. Then, the xi3 or WS80 are outstanding winter tires and help a rear wheel drive car plow through the winters we get here in Michigan with ease.

None of these are run flat, so a spare tire kit is helpful. Here's what it looks like installed, as I have in my trunk.

Great choice! Enjoy and congrats!
Attached Images

Last edited by Sportstick; 08-31-2014 at 10:07 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2014, 10:57 AM   #36
USPSALIMITED
Private
United_States
Rep

I like the notion a lot, and the picture probably just made a sale (assuming I ever get a projected delivery date so it makes sense to order stuff).

The only other good handling car I've owned was an 85 944, I think it had pirelli all seasons. For roads in my part of the world (flat & straight) and cornering speeds which allow for wildlife, sand or oil or etc on the road surface, and the unexpected kid on a bicycle, the 944 & stock tires seemed to do the handling thing without leaving me wanting.

Burning up the pss will be a learning experience which may alter my plans, but "Michelin AS3 for three seasons
Michelin X Ice xi3 or Blizzak WS80 for winter (not Blizzak LM tires!)" really seems like a heck of a good long term plan.

Other thing is I'm more of a motor head than a road racer at heart, so ultimate cornering ability might mean less to me than others.

Off the subject, but the most terrifying vehicle thing I've ever experienced was taking a 90 degree corner at speed and finding 3 kids with bicycles just standing in the road talking. Nothing bad happened, but it made a permanent change to my limits for corner speed/visibility.
Appreciate 0