THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum 8-speed manual mode

03-17-2014, 11:59 AM   #23
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C 6MT, Tesla 3

Agree with everyone else. In manual mode there really isn't a need to go beyond 6.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2014, 01:03 PM   #24
WWM
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by hector View Post
interesting; you did address one of my main concerns, specifically, the multiple gears downshift!
The main thing is that the N55 is so strong down low that you don't necessarily need to be in a low gear to get adequate acceleration for passing. In the DCT equipped 135i, I often get enough acceleration while in 7th gear to pass on the highway.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2014, 01:26 PM   #25
bradleyland
TIM YOYO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CONTROL ONE View Post
Can you also use the Eco Mode with the manual transmission?
You can, but you negate much of the benefit. The two most significant fuel savings features of Eco Pro are changes to throttle position sensitivity and shift points.

Throttle position sensitivity - In Eco Pro mode, you have to press the gas pedal further in order to get the same acceleration. You could think of it as "deadening" the gas pedal. Less throttle applied = slower acceleration = greater fuel savings.

Shift points - In Eco Pro mode, the auto transmission will shift much earlier. Lower RPMs = less air-fuel moving through the engine = greater fuel savings.

If you change to manual mode, you'll get the dead feeling gas pedal, but you'll be in charge of the shift points. Depending upon how you shift, you can negate any fuel efficiency gains.

Basically, there's nothing magic about Eco Pro. All it does is modify your car's inputs so that you drive slower, which results in better fuel economy. Any steps you take to drive faster will negate those results.
Past: 2010 135i - TiAg Coral Red 6MT ///M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2014, 10:43 PM   #26
buumer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: EB M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine F31 View Post
I was drinking the 8AT sport paddle flavored Kool Aid for about 6 months. Now I feel exactly like this. Exactly. Too many gears. Too close together. Too boring.
Cant wait to get back into a manual. I will say that "cumbersome" is not the right word to describe driving it in manual mode. "Artificial" is a better description IMO.
I'm on fence about changing my 235 order to a zf8, but posts like this make me second guess the decision. The auto is essentially a "freebie" for the US market, and it's an auto that has been praised by everyone that's driven it. Chris harris even makes a point that it's one of the few options he would tick for the m135i. My GTI is a manual and the fact that it's a manual gets lost in 90% of my weekly driving. Then again, maybe it's worth enjoying the option while it's still out there.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2014, 11:17 PM   #27
Alpine F31
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: MB E350 4MATIC Estate

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by buumer View Post
I'm on fence about changing my 235 order to a zf8, but posts like this make me second guess the decision. The auto is essentially a "freebie" for the US market, and it's an auto that has been praised by everyone that's driven it. Chris harris even makes a point that it's one of the few options he would tick for the m135i. My GTI is a manual and the fact that it's a manual gets lost in 90% of my weekly driving. Then again, maybe it's worth enjoying the option while it's still out there.
There is no doubt that the ZF8 is a brilliant automatic. The problem is- it's an automatic. In my wife's Grand Cherokee (it has the ZF8 too) it's perfect. In my BMW, it's more of a subtraction than an addition as far as the driving experience goes. YMMV.
Appreciate 0