THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Just realized my interior door handles are two different trims?!?

12-04-2016, 08:36 PM   #1
Outrun
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M235i xDrive

Just realized my interior door handles are two different trims?!?

So I was driving today with a friend in the passenger seat when she observed that I had two different trims between my driver-side interior door handle (brushed aluminum) and the passenger side interior door handle (fineline stream wood trim). The funny thing is I've driven the car every day for the past year and a half and never realized this myself. I special ordered the car and had selected fineline stream wood trim, and that's what the rest of the cabin has.

I'm assuming the driver side interior door handle trim should match the rest of the interior trim, can someone confirm/deny this? It's driving me crazy now seeing the mis-matched trims every time I get in my car...

for reference, here's a thread I posted when I first got the car, you can see the passenger door handle in picture #6 and the driver side handle in picture #7:

http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showt...blue+coral+red
2016 M235i xDrive - Estoril Blue - Coral Red - 35% ceramic tint - M Performance Exhaust w/ chrome tips - Dinan spring set (1/2 inch front 5/8 inch rear) with bump stops - JBSpeed paint matched spoiler - paint matched mirror caps - black kidney grille - BimmerTech backup and front-view camera retrofit
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2016, 08:42 PM   #2
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C 6MT, Tesla 3

That's hilarious! They should definitely match. I would take it to the dealer unless you actually like it that way.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2016, 08:45 PM   #3
Outrun
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pz619 View Post
That's hilarious! They should definitely match. I would take it to the dealer unless you actually like it that way.
I can't stand it! And I can't believe I never noticed it earlier, now I can see it from a mile away. I will call the dealer and see what they say. Surprised this made it past quality control...
2016 M235i xDrive - Estoril Blue - Coral Red - 35% ceramic tint - M Performance Exhaust w/ chrome tips - Dinan spring set (1/2 inch front 5/8 inch rear) with bump stops - JBSpeed paint matched spoiler - paint matched mirror caps - black kidney grille - BimmerTech backup and front-view camera retrofit
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2016, 08:50 PM   #4
Outrun
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I'm re-reading the thread where I initially posted the pics of the car, and an astute forum member actually picked up on it:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjroch View Post
The pics make it look like you have an aluminum door pull on the driver's door...but the rest of the trim is fineline stream. Is that the case?
For some reason it never registered with me, should have read the post more carefully ...
Appreciate 1
pz6193278.50
      12-04-2016, 10:08 PM   #5
Deutsche-Broke
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

That's hilarious..

Considering the amount of double-checking and product scanning that goes on in the assembly of one of these, you Sir have found quite a pearl..
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2016, 10:35 AM   #6
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pz619 View Post
Never seen that before. You have one of a kind.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2016, 01:17 PM   #7
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X1/'23 Allroad Progressiv

Wow, how bizarre. That's got to be a first.
'11 Z4 30i (retired);'11 X3 28i (retired); '15 M235i Stage 1 Dinan (recalled & crushed); '16 M235i Stage 3 Dinan (retired); '15 X3 28i (retired); '14 328i (retired), 2019 X3M40i (retired); Loaded '18 X1 (retired); Loaded '20 X3MC DG, Black/Tan Merino (retired); Loaded '23 X1 Cape York green and Red/Black interior; '23 Audi A4 Allroad Progressiv
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2016, 01:18 PM   #8
Beartato
Major
Rep
Drives: M235i

That's too funny
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2016, 03:42 PM   #9
B_Rice
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6spd Estoril Blue M235i

Wow I've never seen anything like that. I have seen a base i3 with the bigger nav screen though.
      12-05-2016, 04:56 PM   #10
Outrun
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG View Post
Never seen that before. You have one of a kind.
my next thread will be: "Do mismatched door handles raise or decrease the value of the car when I sell it?"

It also makes me wonder if this was a machine-installed error or human-installed error....
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2016, 05:22 PM   #11
bimmerfile
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X2 F39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outrun View Post
my next thread will be: "Do mismatched door handles raise or decrease the value of the car when I sell it?"

It also makes me wonder if this was a machine-installed error or human-installed error....
Makes it one-of-a-kind, so super rare.
Probably will appreciate over time..
      12-05-2016, 05:27 PM   #12
harma24
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i Glacier Silver

Garage List
2017 BMW M240i  [0.00]
Quote:

I'd keep it! It's like a mis-printed stamp or mis-stamped coin!
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2016, 10:15 AM   #13
mdputnam
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i & M235i Convertibles

Just speculation on my part, but it would be difficult to install one wrong trim part at a modern assembly plant as the parts are prepackaged as a group for a specific car, with each bin under strict statistical process control from the subcontractor's manufacturing plant to the loading dock at the assembly plant, to final installation. Most likely the trim was damaged during shipping and replaced at the Vehicle Distribution Center. VDC folks aren't even BMW employees any more, so someone in a rush probably grabbed the part out of the wrong bin.

Although the actual assembly process is carefully guarded by BMW we can get a glimpse from this document, watch the video and you can see part of the door assembly process!

"*Doors are removed from the car body and travel via an overhead conveyor to a separate door assembly line.
*On the door line, the glass, water seals, mirrors, airbags, speakers and other trim pieces are installed.
*The doors then travel on an overhead conveyor back to the main line and are reunited with the same car body.
"

Last edited by mdputnam; 12-06-2016 at 10:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2016, 12:21 PM   #14
TheCaptain
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: m235i x 'vert

Whether you keep the mismatched piece of trim or not, you should try to get the correct piece free of charge from the dealer. That way you have both for yourself and the future owner.

I'm curious to hear what the dealer says about this. I don't know if they sell trim by the single piece, and I'll bet a full set of trim pieces is pretty expensive. I wonder if the dealer will willingly pay for the piece or give you a hard time about it. The dealer I got my car from writes "AS IS" in bold letters on the bill of sale, so the dealer could potentially say "you bought it as is with silver trim, if you want something else you have to pay for it."
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2016, 06:59 PM   #15
Outrun
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdputnam View Post
Just speculation on my part, but it would be difficult to install one wrong trim part at a modern assembly plant as the parts are prepackaged as a group for a specific car, with each bin under strict statistical process control from the subcontractor's manufacturing plant to the loading dock at the assembly plant, to final installation. Most likely the trim was damaged during shipping and replaced at the Vehicle Distribution Center. VDC folks aren't even BMW employees any more, so someone in a rush probably grabbed the part out of the wrong bin.

Although the actual assembly process is carefully guarded by BMW we can get a glimpse from this document, watch the video and you can see part of the door assembly process!

"*Doors are removed from the car body and travel via an overhead conveyor to a separate door assembly line.
*On the door line, the glass, water seals, mirrors, airbags, speakers and other trim pieces are installed.
*The doors then travel on an overhead conveyor back to the main line and are reunited with the same car body.
"

Interesting theory...although I would think the interior door handle would be an unusual spot for damage during shipping. Based on that video though it does seem more likely something happened post-assembly rather than during...
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2016, 09:24 PM   #16
Deutsche-Broke
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

Quote:
Interesting theory...although I would think the interior door handle would be an unusual spot for damage during shipping. Based on that video though it does seem more likely something happened post-assembly rather than during...
This makes a lot of sense.. I would imagine that, "port finishing" facilities have a different level of expectation as compared to the factory of origin.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2016, 09:50 PM   #17
abomb60
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i xDrive

My brother in law works on the X3/X4 assembly line in Spartanburg at the station where they put the finished doors back on the cars. I'll ask him if he's ever seen anything like this. I don't know how everyone seemed to not notice this. He did mention when we went on the plant tour that the finished doors when they move overhead sometimes do fall off the carriers. Maybe that caused the damage and human error is responsible for the wrong trim piece to be replaced?
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2016, 10:14 PM   #18
nd2002
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfile View Post
Quote:

Makes it one-of-a-kind, so super rare.
Probably will appreciate over time..
Possibly one of two. He probably has a twin who never noticed one of his door pulls has a different trim
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2016, 11:39 PM   #19
doccyber
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: %D0%97%D0%B0%D1%81%D1%82%D0%B0

Keep it as is. Makes your car very unique.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2016, 12:39 PM   #20
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
So I was driving today with a friend in the passenger seat when she observed that I had two different trims between my driver-side interior door handle (brushed aluminum) and the passenger side interior door handle (fineline stream wood trim). The funny thing is I've driven the car every day for the past year and a half and never realized this myself. I special ordered the car and had selected fineline stream wood trim, and that's what the rest of the cabin has.

I'm assuming the driver side interior door handle trim should match the rest of the interior trim, can someone confirm/deny this? It's driving me crazy now seeing the mis-matched trims every time I get in my car...

for reference, here's a thread I posted when I first got the car, you can see the passenger door handle in picture #6 and the driver side handle in picture #7:

http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showt...blue+coral+red
Wow. That is very interesting that no one who actually saw your car in-person, including YOU, did not notice that.

As for keeping it that way because this is something unique or rare...are you freaking kidding me?!
Hell no I wouldn't keep it that way. I know you just realized it, but when I see the pictures it immediately sticks out that it's not right.
There is not about that error that is positive nor does it somehow raise the value of your 2 in any way.

Those on here who say to keep it because it's unique or rare would never consider buying that car used with the mismatched trim, let alone paying more for it's "uniqueness" or "rarity" of it's mistake.

The interesting question is, will the dealer correct the mismatch now that it's been so long since you took ownership.
I would think that if you have pictures from when you picked up the new car at the dealership that show the wrong trim, then that would be in your favor.

I'm interested to see how the dealer handles this.
Please post what happens.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2016, 05:23 PM   #21
Outrun
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
Wow. That is very interesting that no one who actually saw your car in-person, including YOU, did not notice that.

As for keeping it that way because this is something unique or rare...are you freaking kidding me?!
Hell no I wouldn't keep it that way. I know you just realized it, but when I see the pictures it immediately sticks out that it's not right.
There is not about that error that is positive nor does it somehow raise the value of your 2 in any way.

Those on here who say to keep it because it's unique or rare would never consider buying that car used with the mismatched trim, let alone paying more for it's "uniqueness" or "rarity" of it's mistake.

The interesting question is, will the dealer correct the mismatch now that it's been so long since you took ownership.
I would think that if you have pictures from when you picked up the new car at the dealership that show the wrong trim, then that would be in your favor.

I'm interested to see how the dealer handles this.
Please post what happens.

I'm not sure if those who posted I should keep the handles the way they are, if they're being facetious or not, but my obsessive nature towards symmetry and cohesiveness will push me to get the driver side door handle replaced with the correct streamline wood trim. I'm hoping that piece can just be popped off.

I'll give an update after I contact the dealer, hopefully they don't give me a hard time.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2016, 07:08 PM   #22
abomb60
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i xDrive

Talked to my brother in law tonight and he said that occasionally the doors arrive out of order from the car they are supposed to be reattached to. Wondering if the car before or after was the same exterior and interior color just with different trim and no one noticed? If that's the case your car probably has a reverse twin He did say that they do check for this and it's the techs responsibility to make sure it's correct before it leaves their station.
Appreciate 0