THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Wheel and tire insurance options/transferability

09-26-2016, 11:12 AM   #1
DUSTOFF 46
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M235i

Wheel and tire insurance options/transferability

Two days ago I hit a decent sized rock which caused immediate deflation of the right front tire. (M235i with the stock Michelin PSS) The mobility kit was unable to get pressure to hold so I talked with BMW roadside assistance as well as the service departments at the two nearest dealerships. We determined that one had the appropriate tire in stock, so I had it towed there in the morning.

Here's the issue I'm brining up: all three people I talked to on the phone (roadside assist and both service reps) looked up my info and the VIN, and said wheel and tire insurance would cover this. Only when I was at the service center in the waiting area did a rep inform me that since the previous owner had bought the wheel/tire insurance I could not use it. It's there on the list of warranties information he had printed for the car and has a lot of time/mileage left. But it has the previous owner's name next to it and is apparently non-transferable. Additionally: the wheel is a loss so it needs tire+wheel+alignment.

I just want to check if this jives with what you guys have experienced in the past. Nothing but the basic powertrain warranty transfers to a new owner?

Additionally, I asked a finance rep at the dealer about buying the coverage now and he advised against because it's discounted for new car purchases and would be $2400 for me. Do you guys know or recommend any third party options?

Searching the forum I found this thread but not much about my situation:
http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showt...ight=Insurance
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2016, 04:21 PM   #2
Tano22
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M4 Competition XDrive

Garage List
I purchaesd my 235 last Saturday and one of the things they made me sign was a non-transferability agreement for all warranties, including the wheel/tire warranty, which I purchased as well. I actually asked specifically and was told that the warranty is not transferrable if I sell the vehicle.
Appreciate 0