THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum 2GC - just not an F2x?

01-31-2014, 03:26 PM   #1
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

2GC - just not an F2x?

Recent news that the next 3 will share the same chassis as the 5 and 7 would certainly lead me to believe that the G series 3er will be even larger and less involving to drive than the already lackluster F30.

Now there's news that there may not be a sedan based on the F2x chassis. Is it probable that the current generation will not include a smaller sedan than the F30, but that the G series will introduce a sub 3 sized sedan that's still rwd, or are we going to end up with a Mini with a trunk lid?

I've said it before, but whoever manages to build a sub 3,100 pound sedan around 175 inches in length with three pedals and the rear wheels driven will get my money. Make it a wagon and I'll pay sticker!

I also find it telling (in nerdy internet terms only) that our two longest threads in this forum are about the M2 and possible death of the 2GC.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2014, 07:27 PM   #2
xl5
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 Honda Fit

If no 2GC, interested to see what the BRZ based 4-door sedan will be like.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2014, 08:43 AM   #3
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Recent news that the next 3 will share the same chassis as the 5 and 7 would certainly lead me to believe that the G series 3er will be even larger and less involving to drive than the already lackluster F30.

Now there's news that there may not be a sedan based on the F2x chassis. Is it probable that the current generation will not include a smaller sedan than the F30, but that the G series will introduce a sub 3 sized sedan that's still rwd, or are we going to end up with a Mini with a trunk lid?

I've said it before, but whoever manages to build a sub 3,100 pound sedan around 175 inches in length with three pedals and the rear wheels driven will get my money. Make it a wagon and I'll pay sticker!

I also find it telling (in nerdy internet terms only) that our two longest threads in this forum are about the M2 and possible death of the 2GC.
Well it is too early to make any conclusions, remember SCOTT said no M3 Sedan, BMW said no M3 Sedan, and then they still did one. Maybe because they already decided not to make any M4 GranCoupé so they needed the sedan.

If we don't see any sedan on current generation F20, don't expect any sedan blow next generation G30 (3 Series). Reason? It is about selling cars, if some need a small sedan, they'll get it, but FWD or AWD (FWD based). BMW will not give its customers a "cheap" RWD car or sportscar, if you want RWD get a 3 Series or a Z3/Z4, not a 1 Series or Z1/Z2. Don't like big cars? That is your (also my) problem. If no other manufacturer offers a compact RWD sedan, BMW either will NOT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xl5 View Post
If no 2GC, interested to see what the BRZ based 4-door sedan will be like.
There are some complications going on at Toyota Subaru due to disagreements. Added to the GT86 Coupé, Toyota wants to build a GT86 Convertible and a GT86 Sedan. But Subaru does not want and Toyota depends on Subaru because Toyota used Subaru hardware (platform/chassis/drivetrain/powertrain). The future of GT86 is uncertain, by that I mean, what will be its replacement. That said, a small light RWD sedan (supercharged, turbocharged or hybrid) is possible, but I wouldn't bet on it.
Appreciate 0