THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Choices, Choices

09-11-2016, 11:43 AM   #1
jpnh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: NA

Choices, Choices

Having a bit of a hard time choosing my next car.

Requirements are that its a manual transmission, is fun and a can get a dog crate into the back seat (crate has to me altered slightly for 2 series)

The three cars in the running are:

JCW Mini Cooper
230 (M suspension and track brakes)
M240

The car will largely be a daily driver for a couple years until I pick up a beater to put a lot of miles on and I also have a 4x4 truck.

To get the 230 the way I want it I'm looking at a 40k 4cyl car......for a couple thousand more I'm into a 240 which is pretty much exactly what I want in a box stock base configuration.

The JCW is the least expensive of the bunch and is about 8k less than the M240

Price isnt a deal breaker by any stretch.

I would probably drive any of the three to ~80k and sell/trade in for a new vehicle

I'm going to assume that the M240 would probably hold its value best except for the fact that it would be a rear wheel car which isnt the most popular option here in new england

The M240 is hands down my favorite.......

Thoughts?

Last edited by jpnh; 09-11-2016 at 12:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2016, 12:09 PM   #2
jpnh
Brigadier General
Rep

And there appears to be a LOT more community support for DIY, Coding, mods and repairs for BMW vs Mini which isnt a trivial considerations

Would like to hear from folks who have chosen a 2 series as a daily driver, how many miles a year you put on your car/etc

Last edited by jpnh; 09-11-2016 at 01:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2016, 01:28 PM   #3
raleedy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i 6-speed

Get what you like.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2016, 01:32 PM   #4
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

For that situation, have you checked out the Golf R? Seems just right for you unless it doesn't have some options you may want.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2016, 01:33 PM   #5
jpnh
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post
For that situation, have you checked out the Golf R? Seems just right for you unless it doesn't have some options you may want.
Cant get over the looks of the Golf R....and I cant stand AWD
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2016, 01:41 PM   #6
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

Well then I agree with raleedy saying get what you want. If you want to cut a few dollars, how about a used M235i? The 240i with B58 is by all accounts fantastic but the 235i N55 is only a teeny tiny step down. Either way, if you haven't owned a BMW I6, theyr'e worth the cost of entry.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2016, 01:46 PM   #7
jpnh
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Well then I agree with raleedy saying get what you want. If you want to cut a few dollars, how about a used M235i? The 240i with B58 is by all accounts fantastic but the 235i N55 is only a teeny tiny step down. Either way, if you haven't owned a BMW I6, theyr'e worth the cost of entry.
Thats where I am heading I think.

I've looked for used 235's and MT cars are scarce to say the least in NE USA...certainly no CPO's that I've found
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2016, 02:14 PM   #8
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

jpnh, if you can compartmentalize, and not dwell on our Clinton debate

I'm running a 235 in mineral white/vinyl interior/ 6 spd manual as a daily driver. Live outside of Baltimore so get freezing temps on many winter mornings, few snow falls and occasional ice-storm.

After two-years put on 17K mikes and need to replace drivers side front due to outside shoulder wear. Passenger side front replaced a year ago due to sidewall bubble - hit wear tarmac wore down between two lanes on a beltway, did same thing to my friends Tesla.
Only once did my PSS slide on dry but very cold tarmac, at slow speed on a downhill turn.

Also have picked up three nails; one the tire changed, one tire patched and plugged, one I plugged myself - one reason I'm getting a news set of PSS A/S's.

Car is great for traveling between cities like Balto to Philly on the interstate. As a city car where the roads are less then adequate the low profile tire's mean you have to drive around any pothole and navigate ridges at driveways.

I thought I would do many more late night runs on country roads, but with the extreme deer population there are just a few places, usually early at dawn on weekends where I feel it's safe to play.

My car doesn't rattle, very tight structurally it seems, and have had no warranty issues.

Maybe it's just me, because I haven't read others say this, but the manual transmission as the clutch heats up likes to be driven briskly, not stop and go creeping. Though, I enjoy the concentration or anticipating it takes to creep through congestion.

Where the car really shines is when it's driven hard and fast. It accelerates strongly way up into 130 plus mph and massive grip with the summer Pilot's staggered. The one time I went through a very fast sweeping curve on a highway the car definately seemed to understeer, I think about what it would have felt like if the fronts were 245/35-18, but for wet roadways like drivers commuting on a wet autobahn - the factory set-up is probably the best.

You say you have a 4x4, I wish I also had a 4x4 or beater for some activists. Your dog crate in a 2-series? how much easier would it be in a Honda HR-V to carry a dog crate or go through crappy roads?
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2016, 04:23 PM   #9
jpnh
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
]

I'm running a 235 in mineral white/vinyl interior/ 6 spd manual as a daily driver. Live outside of Baltimore so get freezing temps on many winter mornings, few snow falls and occasional ice-storm.

After two-years put on 17K mikes and need to replace drivers side front due to outside shoulder wear. Passenger side front replaced a year ago due to sidewall bubble - hit wear tarmac wore down between two lanes on a beltway, did same thing to my friends Tesla.
Only once did my PSS slide on dry but very cold tarmac, at slow speed on a downhill turn.

Also have picked up three nails; one the tire changed, one tire patched and plugged, one I plugged myself - one reason I'm getting a news set of PSS A/S's.

Car is great for traveling between cities like Balto to Philly on the interstate. As a city car where the roads are less then adequate the low profile tire's mean you have to drive around any pothole and navigate ridges at driveways.

I thought I would do many more late night runs on country roads, but with the extreme deer population there are just a few places, usually early at dawn on weekends where I feel it's safe to play.

My car doesn't rattle, very tight structurally it seems, and have had no warranty issues.

Maybe it's just me, because I haven't read others say this, but the manual transmission as the clutch heats up likes to be driven briskly, not stop and go creeping. Though, I enjoy the concentration or anticipating it takes to creep through congestion.

Where the car really shines is when it's driven hard and fast. It accelerates strongly way up into 130 plus mph and massive grip with the summer Pilot's staggered. The one time I went through a very fast sweeping curve on a highway the car definately seemed to understeer, I think about what it would have felt like if the fronts were 245/35-18, but for wet roadways like drivers commuting on a wet autobahn - the factory set-up is probably the best.

You say you have a 4x4, I wish I also had a 4x4 or beater for some activists. Your dog crate in a 2-series? how much easier would it be in a Honda HR-V to carry a dog crate or go through crappy roads?
Thanks for the feedback

More than half of my miles would be on winding 55mph/2 lane roads with occassional passing zones...fun roads that the car would excel on

Dedicated snow tires are a must up hear in northern new england....its not the first rear wheel drive car I've owned and to be honest with 50/50 weight distribution it shouldnt be too bad.....I'll throw 200lbs of sand bags in the trunk if need be

The snow will just give me an excuse to get a LSD for the rear end

IDK.......I almost feel guilty that I am struggling with a first world decisioin that is pretty trivial but I have a bad habit of planning out the big purchases and never looking back/regretting them so.....

The dog issue is workable.....either a crate or a seat cover....prefer a crate with one side sloped like they sell in Europe......but wont ship to the US

Do you know if the clutch on these cars utilize a dual mass flywheel or traditional solid flywheel?
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2016, 04:45 PM   #10
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

I'd suggest a 235 exec demo or 2016 leftover. And depending how big the dog is checkout the lookout car seats. I have one in my 235 and the dog loves it, plus with the harness on he's also wearing a seatbelt which is good. He was in my toureg in a head on collision ($35k in damage to my car) and was perfectly fine.
Appreciate 1
jpnh1423.50
      09-11-2016, 05:07 PM   #11
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Not certain it its dual mass

Might find this interesting

http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1050951
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2016, 05:51 PM   #12
Hellrot
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 16 M235i

Quote:
I amazingly found a manual 235 on a dealer lot and I love it. Was thinking about ordering a 240 but pulled the trigger on the 235 instead. Got a great deal.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2016, 06:39 PM   #13
Rayscott
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 228ix

I got the 228ix Mpackage vert, love it. Retired and not a DD. Suits me, so buy what suits you.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2016, 07:52 PM   #14
nike001
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 718 Cayman

M235i lot/dealer-trade or spec out a 240.

..Or golf R.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2016, 09:22 PM   #15
jpnh
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
Not certain it its dual mass

Might find this interesting

http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1050951
Hmmm...looks like it may be DMF

http://parts.bmwofsouthatlanta.com/s...category=17297
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2016, 03:18 PM   #16
B_Rice
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6spd Estoril Blue M235i

Get what you really want. Driving 80k miles in something you'd regret is a pretty bad feeling.