THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum launching...... MT

02-13-2017, 04:00 PM   #1
Kidu
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i EBII, RWD, 6spd

launching...... MT

Fellow 2-ers,

I have a stupid question.
I have a MT RWD M235... I have had a LOT of fun on curves and back roads but I have never used the launch control. I know if holds revs at a certain rpm...so basically, you put it in first, mash the gas to the floor, let the rpms stabilize and the dump the clutch. Is there anything I need to be worried about? I do not intend to put it in Sport+ but should I do it? Would it be best to try in a big open space first?

I do not want to end up like the Mustangs after cars and coffee....

Many thanks! And you are welcome to have fun at my expense too
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2017, 04:26 PM   #2
Dylan86
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15d msport, F22 m235i

AFAIK, these cars do not have launch control. Your right and left foot are the "launch control".

I wouldn't do it unless you're prepared to slip/spin your clutch disk to the same RPM as your engine. These factory clutches are not designed to be dumped, they "slip" for a reason, to create a smooth engagement/disengagement for any driving style (launching notwithstanding).

If you end up going for it, please make a video :P

D
      02-13-2017, 04:47 PM   #3
p912guy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i Convertible

Garage List
I want my clutch to last 100K miles and my rear tires to last at least 30K miles, so I'm not "launching" any time soon. That said, if you're looking to get a great 0-60 time, it can be done with a smooth and quick release of the clutch and firm pressure on the accelerator.

Oh, and the rest of us appreciate you not being one of "those guys" at your local Cars & Coffee.
17 GMC Canyon Denali Long Bed 4x4 (Tailgatin, Haulin & Towin)
various 'one design' sailboats / stinky hockey gear
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2017, 06:16 PM   #4
Kolyan2k
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 S2000

I don't launch cars, but I would assume for a good launch you need to completely disable DSC, rev engine to about 2-3k, and dump the clutch.

*edit: well by dump the clutch I mean whats said below I guess, rev engine, release the clutch quickly while pushing accelerator hard

Last edited by Kolyan2k; 02-14-2017 at 02:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2017, 12:05 AM   #5
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Yes, you can put it in Sport+ and a ~3000rpm rev limiter will appear. DO NOT dump the clutch though. That creates too much driveline shock. You'll likely roast the tires or bog terribly Or worse, smoke the clutch or get massive wheel hop snapping an axle. The fastest launch on street tires is throttle and clutch modulation.

Rev up to around 2500-2800rpms and slip the clutch just enough that the car doesn't roll. When it's time to go, slip the clutch just enough to feel the car start to roll then quickly slip the clutch while feeding it gas to keep from bogging. This a fairly quick motion and takes practice. You'll know you did right when you hear the tires skamper across the pavement and there's no bogging. You need to get the car rolling slightly to keep from overloading the tires. The clutch slip helps create engine load thus turbo boost. If you bog then you're either too quick on releasing the clutch or not using enough throttle. If you spin excessively, then you're likely using too much throttle.

All things said, DSC OFF will result in the fastest runs.

Last edited by XutvJet; 02-14-2017 at 12:12 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2017, 08:09 AM   #6
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

Hard launches are a very expensive type of fun in an MT car, best experienced by borrowing a car from somebody you don't really like much (but never, ever during a test drive of a Mustang - that would be wrong). The general demographic of drag racers has lead to the false impression that it is actually easy, safe and fun (1 of 3 isn't bad). Much more skill involved than it sounds like, and many routes to expensive broken parts. Or heavily worn parts that will later fail much sooner than expected (clutch especially). IIRC a clutch replacement is several thousand dollars, and I'm guessing you seldom get out of that w/o also replacing that dual mass flywheel. You might fantasize that the dealer will replace this under warranty, but that seems rare for MT even when it really is a defective part. Even if they can't download specific tattletale data off your ECU, they will know from one look that you have cooked it yourself. There is a hilarious video of a guy smoking his clutch in a new corvette that you should watch at least once before you get ready to try this; an expensive learning curve, even before you get rolling enough for the cars'n'coffee hijinx to also become a factor - then you're talking insurance agents and LEO's, as well as parts and labor.

Even though this is one of the cherished performance numbers (0-60 or 1/4mi) it is largely BS, and these cars were designed for sport driving - handling and fast acceleration but not from a dead stop. Best bet is sticking with that type of spirited driving, and leaving the smoky burnouts for the Mustang crowd.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2017, 08:36 AM   #7
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

I've launched my M235 a handful of times now. The clutch felt and smelled entirely fine afterwards. The 6mt and clutch used in this car has a strong history of being robust and reliable, the most unreliable thing being the syncros, especially the 2nd gear units.

Launching the car is not good on the clutch; however, doing it every once in a while isn't going to be detrimental over the long term so as long as you use the method I described.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2017, 11:17 AM   #8
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

Granted that a few hard launches won't automatically break parts, didn't mean to suggest these were made out of glass or something. But you are the experienced user who is giving the advice, not the person asking for tips on the forum. If OP is asking here, I'm assuming they don't have ready availability of experienced drivers to show them, and you really can do some serious damage in just a few simple moves (or you could get lucky, and enjoy the entire test drive ).
Appreciate 1
Dylan861330.00
      02-14-2017, 04:36 PM   #9
esp260
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 228i Msport 6MT

Just a note, putting it into Sport+ will remove the limiter! I don't do launches anymore, but when I did play around with it I remember that Sport+ did not hold revs and instead will let you rev it up to past 3k. Never thought about trying it with just DSC off though...
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2017, 04:51 PM   #10
JoyRin
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 EB M235i manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by esp260 View Post
Just a note, putting it into Sport+ will remove the limiter! I don't do launches anymore, but when I did play around with it I remember that Sport+ did not hold revs and instead will let you rev it up to past 3k. Never thought about trying it with just DSC off though...
Actually mine will hold revs at around 3k in sport+. The car has to be warmed up. Clutch in, 1st gear, and mash the gas and it will hold at 3k. But like the above poster said, best way to launch is thru throttle and clutch modulation with dsc completely off. If you do it right its not that harmful, but it still takes slight piece of your cars soul everytime you do it.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2017, 04:58 PM   #11
Kolyan2k
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 S2000

Em....I didnt know car holds revs. Good to know.....not that I will be using it though ))
Appreciate 0