THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Was this stupid of me?

02-12-2017, 04:41 PM   #1
esp260
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 228i Msport 6MT

Was this stupid of me?

I moved to the east coast for a job and bought myself a 6MT 228i. I really wanted a MT car and since the x-drive models cannot be had in the configuration, I convinced myself that I would do just fine with the car as long as I have a good set of snow tires on during the winter. I read countless threads of x-drive vs. RWD and snows vs. all-seasons and it seemed that a RWD vehicle would do fine, but maybe I failed to realize most of these people did not have a RWD car as their only vehicle??

Last winter, we were blessed with a mild winter. Nothing too crazy and the car did just fine. This year however, the weather doesn't seem as forgiving. We've had 2 back to back snowstorms and the car is starting to show its weaknesses in the snow. I got stuck for the first time in an unplowed parking lot today and luckily one employee came out to help push the car.

Does anyone else daily their 2-series in the snow or I am the only dumbass? If the weather keeps up I'm worried getting stuck will be the norm. Any tips for winter driving?
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2017, 05:00 PM   #2
PDM5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 240i 6 Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by esp260 View Post
I moved to the east coast for a job and bought myself a 6MT 228i. I really wanted a MT car and since the x-drive models cannot be had in the configuration, I convinced myself that I would do just fine with the car as long as I have a good set of snow tires on during the winter. I read countless threads of x-drive vs. RWD and snows vs. all-seasons and it seemed that a RWD vehicle would do fine, but maybe I failed to realize most of these people did not have a RWD car as their only vehicle??

Last winter, we were blessed with a mild winter. Nothing too crazy and the car did just fine. This year however, the weather doesn't seem as forgiving. We've had 2 back to back snowstorms and the car is starting to show its weaknesses in the snow. I got stuck for the first time in an unplowed parking lot today and luckily one employee came out to help push the car.

Does anyone else daily their 2-series in the snow or I am the only dumbass? If the weather keeps up I'm worried getting stuck will be the norm. Any tips for winter driving?

While we get nowhere near the amount of snow that you do up in MA, last year with my m3 and snow tires, I had no problem in that ridiculous snowstorm we had that dumped around 3 ft out where I'm located. Obviously, I couldn't drive through snow that was higher than the clearance of my car, but anything I could clear wasn't an issue. I'm sure the LSD helped and having all the nannies off didn't hurt. My right foot was the traction control.

Are your snow tires new or worn? Did you have all the nannies off? I know the f22's don't have LSD's stock, but I'm sure with all the nannies off and some good throttle modulation, parking lots shouldn't be an issue.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2017, 05:09 PM   #3
esp260
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDM5 View Post
While we get nowhere near the amount of snow that you do up in MA, last year with my m3 and snow tires, I had no problem in that ridiculous snowstorm we had that dumped around 3 ft out where I'm located. Obviously, I couldn't drive through snow that was higher than the clearance of my car, but anything I could clear wasn't an issue. I'm sure the LSD helped and having all the nannies off didn't hurt. My right foot was the traction control.

Are your snow tires new or worn? Did you have all the nannies off? I know the f22's don't have LSD's stock, but I'm sure with all the nannies off and some good throttle modulation, parking lots shouldn't be an issue.
The snow tires on on their second season so they are worn a bit. I don't have ALL the nannies off but I usually press the traction button once and this helps a lot with most situations. On another note, should snow tires to pumped to the car's factory settings or higher/lower in order to get the most out of it?
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2017, 05:18 PM   #4
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Your only stupid if you don't carry a shovel.
Appreciate 1
Tpeterson156.50
      02-12-2017, 05:35 PM   #5
Beartato
Major
Rep
Drives: M235i

I run a RWD M235i in the winter here Utah. Just don't drive stupid and you'll be fine.
Appreciate 1
esp26053.00
      02-12-2017, 06:16 PM   #6
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
The snow tires on on their second season so they are worn a bit. I don't have ALL the nannies off but I usually press the traction button once and this helps a lot with most situations. On another note, should snow tires to pumped to the car's factory settings or higher/lower in order to get the most out of it?
Exact brand and model of snow tires, please? I have a sinking feeling you have "performance winters" and not "studless winters". If so, the fix is a new set of winter tires for next season. I have easily conquered Michigan winters with rear wheel drive on a MB C Class (not that different from 2 Series) and the first winter I had this 2 Series using Blizzak WS tires.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 1
esp26053.00
      02-12-2017, 06:25 PM   #7
msej449
msej449
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M235i Convertible +LSD 2016

Garage List
I've just come back from the Swiss Alps in my M235i with Pirelli S3 winters on (225/45-17). This replaces my previous 330d xDrive Touring. What I'd say is that while there is indeed a difference with RWD vs xDrive, but it's really only at the extreme end of snow conditions. For those, I have Spike Spyder Easy Sport chains. I didn't need the chains in Alpine snow but I was only there for 2 weeks, so statistically I think I might need them if I was there the whole winter. So what I'd recommend is that you got something similar to the Spike Spyders and then you'd be fine 98% of your journeys, but ready for the 2% tricky conditions.

Last edited by msej449; 02-13-2017 at 06:13 AM..
Appreciate 1
esp26053.00
      02-12-2017, 07:04 PM   #8
Rayscott
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 228ix

I'm retired and don't drive in snow. If I absolutely have to I drive the X3. The 228ix has never been driven in snow and never will be. I didn't want Xdrive but thats all the dealer had as the 2017's were in production.
Appreciate 1
esp26053.00
      02-12-2017, 07:18 PM   #9
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
Quote:
Exact brand and model of snow tires, please? I have a sinking feeling you have "performance winters" and not "studless winters". If so, the fix is a new set of winter tires for next season. I have easily conquered Michigan winters with rear wheel drive on a MB C Class (not that different from 2 Series) and the first winter I had this 2 Series using Blizzak WS tires.
Studless winter + 100 lbs of sand in trunk + moderate amount of common sense = you'll be fine.
Appreciate 2
      02-12-2017, 07:43 PM   #10
harma24
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i Glacier Silver

Garage List
2017 BMW M240i  [0.00]
I've been having fun the past few days, although I do have xDrive and Michelin Pilot Alpin pa4. I know a guy with an M3; he's always run winter tires and uses the car as a daily driver all winter long. Get a good set of winter tires and you'll be fine.
Appreciate 1
esp26053.00
      02-12-2017, 08:19 PM   #11
JoyRin
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 EB M235i manual

Mich x-ice here....no problems thus far this winter as our snow fall was pretty mild. I drove in the blizzard we had last year and the car did just fine. But i did start to see the limitations and im not sure how it would do in an un-plowed parking lot. Certain hills i had to get my speed up for momentum otherwise i would just spin tires, whereas my subaru would just plow thru.
Appreciate 1
esp26053.00
      02-12-2017, 09:07 PM   #12
esp260
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I have Blizzak WS-80s, the tires that everyone else recommended! How many seasons do these typically last?
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2017, 09:08 PM   #13
esp260
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
Your only stupid if you don't carry a shovel.
Yep! I do carry a shovel.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2017, 09:12 PM   #14
esp260
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoyRin View Post
Mich x-ice here....no problems thus far this winter as our snow fall was pretty mild. I drove in the blizzard we had last year and the car did just fine. But i did start to see the limitations and im not sure how it would do in an un-plowed parking lot. Certain hills i had to get my speed up for momentum otherwise i would just spin tires, whereas my subaru would just plow thru.
Thanks for sharing your experience, makes me a feel more reassured about this winter!
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2017, 09:13 PM   #15
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
I have Blizzak WS-80s, the tires that everyone else recommended! How many seasons do these typically last?
You have about the best tire for winter snow/ice capability out there. They should go 3-4 seasons with typical usage. I am surprised to learn of the problem you had. Was the issue that the unplowed snow was so deep you didn't have ground clearance and were pushing against the snow?
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2017, 09:19 PM   #16
esp260
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
You have about the best tire for winter snow/ice capability out there. They should go 3-4 seasons with typical usage. I am surprised to learn of the problem you had. Was the issue that the unplowed snow was so deep you didn't have ground clearance and were pushing against the snow?
The snow was slushy and sticky and there was a small incline at the exit of the parking lot. I think it was a combination of both that made me get stuck in snow.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2017, 09:33 PM   #17
nike001
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 718 Cayman

I had X-ice Michelin's on my 235i last winter. Wasn't nearly as impressed with them as I normally was with Blizzaks.
Appreciate 1
esp26053.00
      02-12-2017, 09:33 PM   #18
Pparana
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235i

Having grown up in Buffalo, I know snow. If your in the city, carry a shovel and some kitty litter and a tow strap. If you live in the burbs or sticks well maybe would need x drive on worst days.

Roads in city's get plowed, constantly. Your biggest threat is the freeze thaw, or the plow going around car with a hardpack of snow. In buffalo this could be 3 ft tall or more.

Boston gets snow, sometimes a lot, but it's cleaned up quick and usually it warms up as well and melts. It's a different set of skills driving in snow, go slow leave lots of space until you know how the car will react. If your caught out in Rough conditions and hit some ice, make sure to turn into the slide, not much just match the angle of the slide, use light maintenance throttle and don't use the brakes, traction control will sort it quickly and then you can correct he line. Once traction is restored you can brake if needed. And as always if not comfrortable pull off the road and wait it out.

When starting from a spot with hardpack, Dont spin the tires when trying to get out, it will just dig a rut, and melt the snow which usually refreezes as ice. Dig everything out a foot around the car, front, back, sides, as well as a path to the road. Just rock the car back and fourth until your out, use kitty litter if needed. Use 2nd gear from starts if real slushy, icy. You should be fine.

Manual is better in snow, I would take those tires over fwd on all seasons any day. Rwd or fwd no big deal with right tires. You probably just need more snow seat time, awd won't solve this, just give a false sense of security. Large unplowed lots act as skid pads, miss those
Appreciate 2
esp26053.00
kunzjob40.00
      02-12-2017, 09:39 PM   #19
Pparana
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235i

Quote:
Set 3-5 psi higher, esp. If measuring when 30-40 deg. Outside, need To offset for ambient temp. And lack of heat the tires won't be getting from friction.
Appreciate 1
esp26053.00
      02-12-2017, 09:45 PM   #20
Deutsche-Broke
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post
Studless winter + 100 lbs of sand in trunk + moderate amount of common sense = you'll be fine.
Could not agree more.. 2 year old WS-70's, some extra weight in the trunk and it's pretty bulletproof... It was fun last week running through tall drifts of powder..

And passing joe-redneck upside down in the median of the freeway

Best vehicle I've ever owned on the ice.. Ever..
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
esp26053.00
      02-12-2017, 09:59 PM   #21
Kolyan2k
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 S2000

I drove in unplowed forest off road in NH on my S2000 with high performance winter tires.....Not sure how you can get stuck with WS80s , maybe LSD helped me.....

You can get stuck though if rear wheels dig deep enough. AWD is your best friend when it comes to those situations. I only got stuck 1 time in New England winters since 2006 (those were like 3-4 year old performance winters)

Last edited by Kolyan2k; 02-12-2017 at 10:08 PM..
Appreciate 1
esp26053.00
      02-13-2017, 06:20 AM   #22
msej449
msej449
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M235i Convertible +LSD 2016

Garage List
I'd echo that the only times I've needed chains were not because of deep snow, but to do with it being a steep incline (out of an apartment block garage) or semi-frozen slush in a car park. As long as I've had DSC set to TRACTION, I've coped most of the time. For me, having xDrive meant that I could defer using chains in the above conditions, but I still carried them, just in case I hit a French/Swiss police checkpoint where they'll only let chained vehicles past. I've been happy to give up xDrive on my 330d Touring and accept that I might have to fit chains once or twice in the winter in my M235i (in the UK, xdrive isn't available on this). This is counterbalanced by the immensely greater fun of driving an M235i Convertible ....
esp26053.00