THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum LSD important if not tracking car?

01-28-2017, 10:28 PM   #45
jpnh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: NA

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyMoe53 View Post
Again, thanks for the replies. Stil70 thinking about it. Not that it is about the money, but minus metallic paint, and heated seats, that's half of the cost of an LSD. Something to think about, because I am a bit on the thrifty side (thanks, Dad). I've never slid my 128. But, that is 100 HP less.
Given that the M240 is ~335HP/370wtq......if you're going to chip/add power enhancements then a LSD is going to be more or less a prerequisite.....

I'm looking forward to a 460hp dinan enhanced 2 series......

<muhahahahahaha>
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2017, 10:45 AM   #46
mdputnam
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i & M235i Convertibles

For those still thinking about getting a limited slip differential. Ask yourself this:

If the M235i/M240i came with a limited slip differential, but they offered a no-cost E controlled open differential as an option. How many folks out their in reader land would get the no cost option? Don't be bashful now let's see a show of hands.

Humm.... That's what I thought
Appreciate 1
harma24402.50
      01-30-2017, 11:03 AM   #47
drexplode
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: G26 i4x

I had LSD on my previous M235i and loved it - so glad that I added it. The driving experience was confident and fun around all corners / twisties.

I'm adding LSD to my M240i order because of prior experience from M235i.

I drove 60/40 city/highway and never on the track.
Appreciate 2
Hap151.50
      01-30-2017, 03:11 PM   #48
B_Rice
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6spd Estoril Blue M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by drexplode View Post
I had LSD on my previous M235i and loved it - so glad that I added it. The driving experience was confident and fun around all corners / twisties.

I'm adding LSD to my M240i order because of prior experience from M235i.

I drove 60/40 city/highway and never on the track.
Wow you're going through cars fast.
      02-01-2017, 02:33 AM   #49
jarjarmustdie
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i convertible le mans blue

This seems to be the go to place for limited for Ltd information.
Had my 235i for a couple of weeks and unsure if it has the limited slip differential added.
The car has had the m performance kit fitted previously but not sure of exactly which parts.
I have compared to an online picture and it appears to be the same as mine.
Also looked under a standard 235i at a dealer and that looked a lot smaller than this.
Not had chance to test out in the normal way with spirited driving etc.
Would be good to get your opions from the picture below. Thanks in advance https://1drv.ms/i/s!Ak4xXrRsX0qRlDtwagFYBCesXhlG
      02-01-2017, 08:59 AM   #50
jpnh
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarjarmustdie View Post
This seems to be the go to place for limited for Ltd information.
Had my 235i for a couple of weeks and unsure if it has the limited slip differential added.
The car has had the m performance kit fitted previously but not sure of exactly which parts.
I have compared to an online picture and it appears to be the same as mine.
Also looked under a standard 235i at a dealer and that looked a lot smaller than this.
Not had chance to test out in the normal way with spirited driving etc.
Would be good to get your opions from the picture below. Thanks in advance https://1drv.ms/i/s!Ak4xXrRsX0qRlDtwagFYBCesXhlG
The housings look the same

If you want to know if there's an LSD or locker in the rear end you'll need to lift both rear wheels off the ground and then rotate one of the wheels

If both wheels rotate in the same direction then there is some sort of LSD/Locker in the rear end

If this were a truck you could just jack up one wheel and then try to drive away

Please dont try this at home......
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2017, 10:34 AM   #51
jarjarmustdie
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpnh View Post
The housings look the same

If you want to know if there's an LSD or locker in the rear end you'll need to lift both rear wheels off the ground and then rotate one of the wheels

If both wheels rotate in the same direction then there is some sort of LSD/Locker in the rear end

If this were a truck you could just jack up one wheel and then try to drive away

Please dont try this at home......
Thank you for the information.
I did have the car jacked up last week to change a flat tyre, only the one side though.
I put it in netural and the rear left wheel seemes locked when it was up. It wouldn't turn freely just moved a couple of centimetres either way.
Cheers
      02-01-2017, 10:47 AM   #52
jpnh
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarjarmustdie View Post
Thank you for the information.
I did have the car jacked up last week to change a flat tyre, only the one side though.
I put it in netural and the rear left wheel seemes locked when it was up. It wouldn't turn freely just moved a couple of centimetres either way.
Cheers
My guess is that if the jacked up wheel wont rotate freely with the other rear on the ground that there is some sort of locker/lsd in your rear diff

Assuming the parking brake was also off and you had the wheel(s) chocked so the car couldnt move...safety first

I always carry some sort of wheel chock on a RWD vehicle in case of need to change tire......on a FWD car you always have the option to keep car stationary by leaving it in gear (front wheels) and/or using the p-brake (rear wheels) but on a RWD vehicle with an open diff it becomes a bit dicey if you need to change a rear wheel
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2017, 11:29 AM   #53
jarjarmustdie
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpnh View Post
My guess is that if the jacked up wheel wont rotate freely with the other rear on the ground that there is some sort of locker/lsd in your rear diff

Assuming the parking brake was also off and you had the wheel(s) chocked so the car couldnt move...safety first

I always carry some sort of wheel chock on a RWD vehicle in case of need to change tire......on a FWD car you always have the option to keep car stationary by leaving it in gear (front wheels) and/or using the p-brake (rear wheels) but on a RWD vehicle with an open diff it becomes a bit dicey if you need to change a rear wheel
Thanks again.
Will do as suggested in you first reply to confirm.
Cheers
      02-09-2017, 10:45 PM   #54
HeyMoe53
Captain
Rep
Drives: '17 M240 AW/Coral MT

Getting back to the original intent of the thread....I e-mailed Mike Miller, the tech guy at the BMW CCA magazine "Roundel." He kindly replied within a day, that even for fun, everyday driving, he would opt for the LSD.

He also did comment that one will see conflicting comments on an internet forum, which is pretty true.

He is also astounded that BMW doesn't make an LSD standard equipment on a 240.

I enjoyed his comments. Anyone who is a BMW fan would do well to join the CCA, just to get the magazine, read his column, and have access to his expertise.
Appreciate 3
RoundelM31832.50
evilalien450.50
Tpeterson156.50
      02-10-2017, 08:45 AM   #55
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F80 M3, 22 G01 X3 30i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
As to the original question posed by the OP, you might get a different answer if you asked Dr. Timothy Leary.

2015 F80 ///M3 Sedan 7DCT Tanzanite, 2022 X3 sDrive30i 8AT Brooklyn Grey
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2017, 02:22 PM   #56
Gamb1t
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 330i,X1,Z4,Solstice GXP, RX-8

Having power is great. Having effective distribution of power is even greater.
I am abit shocked that a car with sporting intent like the 2 series do not have a rear LSD. It increases the effectiveness of putting down the power to the rear wheels.

I guess most owners opt for xdrive. It is a must for any proper rwd vehicle with sporting capabilities. Chalk this up to cost. Real unfortunate.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2017, 04:37 PM   #57
Dylan86
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15d msport, F22 m235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamb1t View Post
Having power is great. Having effective distribution of power is even greater.
I am abit shocked that a car with sporting intent like the 2 series do not have a rear LSD. It increases the effectiveness of putting down the power to the rear wheels.

I guess most owners opt for xdrive. It is a must for any proper rwd vehicle with sporting capabilities. Chalk this up to cost. Real unfortunate.
Yea I agree, on all accounts. My car is still 100% stock and can't express how happy I am to have the LSD on there, as I have a lot of off camber mountain roads where I live. It really does its magic in 2nd/3rd gear on the 6MT coming through a corner it just bites and pushes you through, and assists in rotating the back end around, as opposed to the inner wheel losing grip and either spinning freely or getting nannied by the TCS.
      02-10-2017, 08:49 PM   #58
drexplode
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: G26 i4x

Great responses guys. I agree you don't need it but the want is high because of the increased driving dynamics which further increases the fun 2 drive aspect. I'm all about the LSD for the 2er. So much confidence and hooligan when taking a turn / circle of death. You won't regret the purchase.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2017, 10:30 PM   #59
HeyMoe53
Captain
Rep
Drives: '17 M240 AW/Coral MT

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread. I'm kinda leaning toward getting the LSD. Once I get the 128 out of storage on 3/1, I'll be in contact with a couple of dealers, and see how things all work out. The 240 is a huge bump in power over what I currently own, so an extra measure of control would be nice.
Appreciate 1
Dylan861330.00
      02-11-2017, 10:17 AM   #60
p912guy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i Convertible

Garage List
I am seriously thinking of adding the M Performance LSD as the first and possibly only major (expensive) upgrade to my M235i vert. I had been tossing the idea of a Dinan Stage 2 upgrade, but I am really pretty happy with the power in car right now, although, I would like to be able to put that power to the pavement better, especially in the twisties.

Quote:
Yea I agree, on all accounts. My car is still 100% stock and can't express how happy I am to have the LSD on there, as I have a lot of off camber mountain roads where I live. It really does its magic in 2nd/3rd gear on the 6MT coming through a corner it just bites and pushes you through, and assists in rotating the back end around, as opposed to the inner wheel losing grip and either spinning freely or getting nannied by the TCS.
This and a few other comment's are moving me in that direction. I am not planning on tracking my car but I may do a couple performance driving events and/or AutoX events, so the clutch type LSD will probably be more than satisfactory as opposed to a Quaife or other direct geared type LSD. Very helpful thread.
17 GMC Canyon Denali Long Bed 4x4 (Tailgatin, Haulin & Towin)
various 'one design' sailboats / stinky hockey gear
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2017, 04:48 PM   #61
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

As I wrote earlier in this thread, I can't justify - for me -the LSD for street use; price, use the money toward second set of wheels or new tire's, mechanical complexity.
However I had my first open-differential event a week or so back, first time, but I was running Michelin PSS A/S +3's (cool road surface) not the Michelin PSS Summer compound that I've put most my mileage on and that I never deemed necessary to enhance with a LSD.

Personally, drifting or maximum acceleration from a stop, are things I never do, guess I think I'm showing mechanical sensitivity. Though I do try to corner as fast as I think possible, so I'm using power.

Also probably not as quick as lots of others and wil never auto-X or drift but may like to put in a few track laps if some friends rent track time and invite me.
Appreciate 0