THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum M235i Ambient Lighting Quick Question

12-18-2016, 06:55 PM   #1
p912guy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i Convertible

Garage List
M235i Ambient Lighting Quick Question

I just want to verify with the ambient lighting, I should have lights in both foot wells, both door handles along with two downward focused lights from the rear-view mirror area and one from just above the ash tray / cup holder area? If so, it seems the light above the ash tray / cup holder area isn't working in my new M235i. Thanks for the help.
17 GMC Canyon Denali Long Bed 4x4 (Tailgatin, Haulin & Towin)
various 'one design' sailboats / stinky hockey gear
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2016, 07:15 PM   #2
Xenny
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: m235i

yep, footwells, doorhandles, one right above the ashtray area, two slits in the fwd dome light shining down onto the gear lever, and two slits in the rear dome light shining down onto the backseat armrest area.

coding brighter ambient lighting might help.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2016, 08:49 PM   #3
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

I have a manual trans and if I'm recalling correctly I don't have one above the ashtray, maybe in the ashtray ?
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2016, 09:06 PM   #4
Gabrola
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 340i

There isn't one above the ashtray, that's on F30s.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2016, 10:02 PM   #5
DF
Major
Rep
Drives: F23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabrola View Post
There isn't one above the ashtray, that's on F30s.
Yes there is.
Appreciate 1
BMWZ41909.50
      12-18-2016, 10:05 PM   #6
p912guy
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Thanks, that's helpful. I too have the manual transmission. It's odd though, as when I feel in the area I would expect a tiny light, there is a depression that matches the feel of the lights up near the rear-view mirror.

I'm not a techie, so this "coding" thing is a bit intimidating to me. That said, it sounds like there are a few neat little customizations that "coding" solves. I'd love brighter ambient lights and I'd also like to get a digital speed readout on the dash accessible through the turn signal stalk button just like I had on my MINI Cooper. I'd also like to split screen the nav readout with nav on one side and radio /entertainment info on the other side. I really don't need to monitor instantaneous mpg and the other "vehicle" info that shows up there now. Maybe there is a way to change this and I just haven't figured it out yet.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2016, 10:43 PM   #7
Elvisfan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 430ix convertible MGM

There are some split screen options available through the idrive. You don't have to code that. You'll have to experiment with that.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2016, 03:06 AM   #8
Xenny
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DF View Post
Yes there is.
same, there is one above mine as well. auto here.
Appreciate 1
BMWZ41909.50
      12-19-2016, 05:55 AM   #9
Dav3
Major
Rep
Drives: G87 M2/E89 35is/F21 M140i/GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by p912guy View Post
I just want to verify with the ambient lighting, I should have lights in both foot wells, both door handles along with two downward focused lights from the rear-view mirror area and one from just above the ash tray / cup holder area? If so, it seems the light above the ash tray / cup holder area isn't working in my new M235i. Thanks for the help.
Same issue on my m240i, tried coding but nothing really changed

Also don't have any form of illumination above the tray/cup-holder, might be wrong but think the illumination everyone is talking about comes from the 12v plug, there's two variations on realoem, one lighted and one not
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2016, 07:12 AM   #10
Cumberlandjames
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i Xdrive cabriolet

Ashtray Area Lighting

Hi, I have a 2016 M235 convertible and this is one area that is very poorly lit. I have no lighting on the forward console at all and the two little slits of light beside the reading lights are very poor. I am thinking of trying to open the panels below the radio and adding a LED light of some sort to illuminate this area. Not sure of where to pick up the power yet but want to connect it to the dash lights so it is variable.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2016, 08:48 AM   #11
DF
Major
Rep
Drives: F23

Quote:
Originally Posted by M235newbee View Post
Hi, I have a 2016 M235 convertible and this is one area that is very poorly lit. I have no lighting on the forward console at all and the two little slits of light beside the reading lights are very poor. I am thinking of trying to open the panels below the radio and adding a LED light of some sort to illuminate this area. Not sure of where to pick up the power yet but want to connect it to the dash lights so it is variable.
Boost it to full brightness and make it white
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2016, 11:29 AM   #12
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by davgia View Post
Same issue on my m240i, tried coding but nothing really changed

Also don't have any form of illumination above the tray/cup-holder, might be wrong but think the illumination everyone is talking about comes from the 12v plug, there's two variations on realoem, one lighted and one not
This could very well be a U.S.-spec vs. EU-spec difference since we get a broader (but, IMHO, still inadequate) interior illumination package standard in the U.S. (and possibly Canada; not sure).

If you have the light, it will be inside a tiny slit in the center of the seam between the bottom of the HVAC surround and the blank panel above the ashtray/cupholders. You can feel it with your fingers,
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2016, 12:52 PM   #13
p912guy
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
If you have the light, it will be inside a tiny slit in the center of the seam between the bottom of the HVAC surround and the blank panel above the ashtray/cupholders. You can feel it with your fingers,
I can feel the slit with my "tiny slit" that you mention, but there isn't any illumination coming from it, hence my original question. Is this something I need to see the dealer about or is it normal?
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2016, 12:55 PM   #14
Dav3
Major
Rep

Quote:
I can feel the slit with my "tiny slit" that you mention, but there isn't any illumination coming from it, hence my original question. Is this something I need to see the dealer about or is it normal?
Maybe a relevant question, did you get the smokers package?

I didn't, and I think that affected the central illumination... I found the slit too and theres no light
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2016, 02:37 PM   #15
p912guy
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Maybe a relevant question, did you get the smokers package?

I didn't, and I think that affected the central illumination... I found the slit too and theres no light
Yes, "Smoker's Package" w/ ash tray and lighter. I have since swapped out the ash tray for the rubber pad. As a non-smoker, the ash tray is useless to me. I plan to get the small BMW flashlight to put in the lighter's 12v outlet. A little flashlight is always handy to have.

I find it interesting that replies seem to be tracking at 50/50 - should be a light vs should be no light.

If your 2 Series has the light, could you maybe take a picture and post it for us?

BTW, while I have read that the traditional BMW orange light seems to provide better illumination than the "Sport" white light, I find the white light to provide slightly more illumination. Of course, Dakota Black doesn't help reflect what little light there is.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2016, 04:01 PM   #16
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Yes, "Smoker's Package" w/ ash tray and lighter. I have since swapped out the ash tray for the rubber pad. As a non-smoker, the ash tray is useless to me. I plan to get the small BMW flashlight to put in the lighter's 12v outlet. A little flashlight is always handy to have.

I find it interesting that replies seem to be tracking at 50/50 - should be a light vs should be no light.

If your 2 Series has the light, could you maybe take a picture and post it for us?

BTW, while I have read that the traditional BMW orange light seems to provide better illumination than the "Sport" white light, I find the white light to provide slightly more illumination. Of course, Dakota Black doesn't help reflect what little light there is.
I can't imagine that the light is tied to the Smoker's Package. It's simply too involved for what is basically a different set of hardware inserts for that space: ashtray/lighter element for the 12V socket for the SP, rubber tray/plastic plug for the 12V socket without the SP. (I forget which markets get the SP standard and which don't).

To check for the light fo' sho', find that slit with your finger, then turn your lights on. If you get a reflection of the orange/white LED in the slit (it'll be obvious), you've got the light.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2016, 06:03 PM   #17
Xenny
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M235newbee View Post
you would have to do some coding, but after coding full brightness on my ambient lighting, it's great even in classic (non-sport) mode.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2016, 06:56 PM   #18
Dav3
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenny View Post
you would have to do some coding, but after coding full brightness on my ambient lighting, it's great even in classic (non-sport) mode.
What did you change?

I changed "Ambiente_Helligkeit" to 0,99 and nothing changed...
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2016, 06:58 PM   #19
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
I have a manual trans and if I'm recalling correctly I don't have one above the ashtray, maybe in the ashtray ?
Correction, I have the light.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2016, 07:21 PM   #20
kevinf
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 228i

Quote:

Yes, I would like to see a picture as well. I have a US spec 228i, I have the slits in the door handle, slits on the front dome light, and slits in the rear dome light. I don't have ambient lighting anywhere else that I can see. I don't see any light in front of my shifter/ashtray either.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2016, 09:46 PM   #21
Silver6spd
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

Add me to the missing ashtray light list.

I would have weigh the reasons for a trip to the dealer if indeed a light should be there. I might not of noticed that it was missing if not for this thread, just have to decide if I want to probably lose my car for a day for them to install one.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-19-2016, 10:13 PM   #22
Xenny
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by davgia View Post
What did you change?

I changed "Ambiente_Helligkeit" to 0,99 and nothing changed...
I changed that and also Ambiente_Nachfuehrung, then maxed out the slider in iDrive.

here are some pics. you can see both the ashtray light and the two fwd dome slits in the first one.

Appreciate 1
Viffermike1753.00