THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum 2017 model

01-29-2016, 04:31 PM   #23
pjohns21
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 EB-II/CR 228i xDrive

I stand corrected- at what month (generally) will you be no longer able to order a 2016 MY from the factory? She made it seem like I needed to order it before my June lease maturity date so as to retain the traditional free maintenance program, as the car would still be a 2016. Regardless, +1 for lease pull ahead.
Appreciate 1
      01-29-2016, 04:46 PM   #24
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjohns21 View Post
I stand corrected- at what month (generally) will you be no longer able to order a 2016 MY from the factory? She made it seem like I needed to order it before my June lease maturity date so as to retain the traditional free maintenance program, as the car would still be a 2016. Regardless, +1 for lease pull ahead.
IIRC, dealers can take orders for current-model-year vehicles about three weeks before they cease production, which would be mid-June.

Key word is 'can'; some dealers stop sooner, particularly for cars that they don't typically stock like the 2-series, primarily to maximize profit (new model year = less likely to discount) and minimize potential prior-model-year stock.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2016, 05:07 PM   #25
pjohns21
Private First Class
Rep

Great. So Mike, I will have one aux radiator, correct (**still beating dead horse, lol**)? 2016 228i xDrive M Sport... I was unhappy there were no fog lights available with M Sport, but it forced me to select the ZLP without question. Actually, they threw in that and the HK audio after they quoted me $1,200 in excessive wear charges, but that's another whole story entirely. Can't wait.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2016, 05:10 PM   #26
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Great. So Mike, I will have one aux radiator, correct (**still beating dead horse, lol**)? 2016 228i xDrive M Sport... I was unhappy there were no fog lights available with M Sport, but it forced me to select the ZLP without question. Actually, they threw in that and the HK audio after they quoted me $1,200 in excessive wear charges, but that's another whole story entirely. Can't wait.
Hahaha! Touche, bud!

Yep: one radiator. (BTW, everyone: I've actually received official confirmation from BMW (through a pal) that M Sport (ZMM) and the Track Handling Package (ZHP) are the triggers for the second aux radiator.)

And ZLP is waaaay worth it for the angel eyes alone.

Last edited by Viffermike; 01-29-2016 at 05:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2016, 06:03 PM   #27
Tpeterson
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228i MSport/THP/MT/

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
I would skip 2017 and wait for the 2018
Or order a 2016
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2016, 06:04 PM   #28
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tpeterson
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Or order a 2016
yep

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2016, 01:56 AM   #29
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com
Production starts in July.

Cars are like shoes. When you need a new one you usually buy the latest model with little thought.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2016, 03:38 PM   #30
pjohns21
Private First Class
Rep

I buy my shoes at TJ Maxx or Marshall's for $30, last year's models. If you view your purchasing of cars this way, you should be riding a Honda. Shitty shoes = better car.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2016, 06:53 PM   #31
kindofblue
Gone electric
Rep
Drives: i4 40eDrive 3/31/23 & Mach e

Question 2017 changes in maintenance plan

Hi Dan,
Do you have a link to an official announcement about this? I was at my dealer today talking about a 2017 ED 228i and he said the 4 yr maintenance plan was going away but didn't have details on what would replace it. Thanks in advance for your reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG View Post
The biggest change is that free maintenance will be three years beginning with the 2017 models vs. four years for the 2016 models.
      02-01-2016, 06:57 AM   #32
Sir Thomas Bombadil
Private
Rep
Drives: AW M235 6MT

Quote:
I was talking with my dealer and he said to be safe we needed to order my MY 2016 by April. He was probably being conservative, but I think you would be solidly in the clear with an April order. (Spolier: I got tired of waiting, so ordered mine in January.)

I was debating between the 2016/17/18 MYs and ultimately went with the 16 because the maintenance change, the N55's proven reliability, and because I got tired of waiting.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2016, 09:56 PM   #33
pjohns21
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Thomas Bombadil View Post
I was talking with my dealer and he said to be safe we needed to order my MY 2016 by April. He was probably being conservative, but I think you would be solidly in the clear with an April order. (Spolier: I got tired of waiting, so ordered mine in January.)

I was debating between the 2016/17/18 MYs and ultimately went with the 16 because the maintenance change, the N55's proven reliability, and because I got tired of waiting.
Yes, I was reading about the f22 reliability topic and was shocked to see that CR says above average for the 2 series. Where are they getting the data for this, since the f22 has only been in production since 2013? I was also impressed that it won a JP Power & Associates initial quality study award. How is the quality in the 2 series different that that of the f30? I can say that my 2013 320i xDrive was very disappointing in terms of interior quality from the start. The trim is cheap silver plastic which is scratched and looks tacky, with wide gaps around the edges on the door pull handles. The plastic trim around the audio and climate stacks can be pressed in almost a half an inch because it is so thin. The plastic on the transmission tunnel is entirely hard-touch plastic. The soft touch plastic paneling on doors is damaged from entering and exiting the vehicle. Why would you put a soft, pliable material that is going to be struck by shoes or boots on the door and then place black, hard plastic where my knee rests? Did BMW learn a thing or two from the first two production years of the f30 in terms of reliability and quality? I have only experienced the 2 series at the dealer, auto shows, and once as a loaner- hardly enough seat time to judge it versus the f30 model I've had for 3 years. Thanks for commenting!
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2016, 05:07 PM   #34
Lucky13
Lucky13
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235 manual, 2020 X3 30X

Quote:
Yes, I was reading about the f22 reliability topic and was shocked to see that CR says above average for the 2 series. Where are they getting the data for this, since the f22 has only been in production since 2013? I was also impressed that it won a JP Power & Associates initial quality study award. How is the quality in the 2 series different that that of the f30? I can say that my 2013 320i xDrive was very disappointing in terms of interior quality from the start. The trim is cheap silver plastic which is scratched and looks tacky, with wide gaps around the edges on the door pull handles. The plastic trim around the audio and climate stacks can be pressed in almost a half an inch because it is so thin. The plastic on the transmission tunnel is entirely hard-touch plastic. The soft touch plastic paneling on doors is damaged from entering and exiting the vehicle. Why would you put a soft, pliable material that is going to be struck by shoes or boots on the door and then place black, hard plastic where my knee rests? Did BMW learn a thing or two from the first two production years of the f30 in terms of reliability and quality? I have only experienced the 2 series at the dealer, auto shows, and once as a loaner- hardly enough seat time to judge it versus the f30 model I've had for 3 years. Thanks for commenting!
Were these comments meant to be a joke? CR send subscribers questionaires to report on their cars, appliances and others purchases. I get CR and report every year on my cars. Why would you be "shocked" about the F22? BMW in general is above average quality according to JDPower. You can hardly judge a brand or a car by a few interior pieces that don't meet your expectations. I have a 2013 X1 and 2014 M235 and zero problems with either car since purchase.
1995 325i, 1996 328ci, 1997 528i, 1997 Z3 2.8, 2000 528i, 2001 X5 3.0, 2001 330i Convertible, 2002 M3 Convertible, 2003 M3 Coupe, 2004 M3 Coupe, 2004 Z4 3.0, 2004 X3 3.0, 2007 X3 3.0, 2007 335i Convertible, 2013 X1 28 sdrive, 2014 M235 manual, 2020 X3 30i Xdrive
Appreciate 1
      02-02-2016, 10:07 PM   #35
pjohns21
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky13 View Post
Were these comments meant to be a joke? CR send subscribers questionaires to report on their cars, appliances and others purchases. I get CR and report every year on my cars. Why would you be "shocked" about the F22? BMW in general is above average quality according to JDPower. You can hardly judge a brand or a car by a few interior pieces that don't meet your expectations. I have a 2013 X1 and 2014 M235 and zero problems with either car since purchase.
German cars are known for having average or below average reliability in general, especially when compared to the likes of Toyota and Honda. The excessive engineering that goes into them makes this the case. Is this what makes them loads better than the average Camry, undoubtedly. I will never drive a used German engineered vehicle without a warranty, ever.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2016, 11:07 PM   #36
sstarrx3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 228i Mineral White/Terra

Quote:
Nothing has changed with the crappy interior...same shit different model. Most do not buy a BMW for the interior. Nice interior is what you give up for the sweet drive train...at this price point anyway.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2016, 04:34 PM   #37
pjohns21
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstarrx3 View Post
Nothing has changed with the crappy interior...same shit different model. Most do not buy a BMW for the interior. Nice interior is what you give up for the sweet drive train...at this price point anyway.
This is why I was surprised with JD Power's Initial Quality Study and the 2 series award, especially since the interiors for the coupes/sedans are so similar and share many of the same materials. I'm not sure how much initial quality really refers to interior materials/fit and finish, but maybe they saw significant differences in quality between the first f30 models and the f22s. I don't believe the most current gen. 3 series won this same award. This is why I was asking if someone knew something I didn't in terms of the in these two model lines, besides 'quality' being somewhat subjective in general.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2016, 04:40 PM   #38
kindofblue
Gone electric
Rep
Drives: i4 40eDrive 3/31/23 & Mach e

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmoretta@sbcglobal.net View Post
I want to order a new 2 series. Leaning toward a bare bones 228i to keep weight down. I am wondering if anyone has seen info about any changes expected on this model for 2017, especially in terms of suspension packages available. I have read that the new model will likely be 230i. Also, what is the earliest date I could order a '17?
This last week my dealer in SLO told me I could reserve an ED delivery date 6 mo ahead of time so I'll be doing that 3/20 for a 9/20 delivery. I won't be actually order the vehicle until May though when the new pricing guide/order forms are released.
      02-07-2016, 12:30 PM   #39
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstarrx3 View Post
So far my bimmer seems to be fairly solid overall. The interior is good compared to other cars I've owned except for Audi. I think Audi has the one of the most solid interiors on the market. I had an old A4 and after 15 years and 100,000 miles it had no air leaks or rattles.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2016, 12:15 PM   #40
raleedy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i 6-speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luftwaffe1O1 View Post
More than that,

outside the maintenance being shorter, brakes are no longer included, neither are clutches, or wiper blade inserts.

Basically the maintenance includes oil changes....
You can think of it as a (potentially substantial) price increase. On the other hand, the maintenance was previously limited to the first owner, so for anyone leasing for 3 years the maintenance already ends when the lease does, unless you buy out the residual. Brake gently, and you'll be fine.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2016, 12:23 PM   #41
raleedy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i 6-speed

Quote:
This is why I was surprised with JD Power's Initial Quality Study and the 2 series award, especially since the interiors for the coupes/sedans are so similar and share many of the same materials. I'm not sure how much initial quality really refers to interior materials/fit and finish, but maybe they saw significant differences in quality between the first f30 models and the f22s. I don't believe the most current gen. 3 series won this same award. This is why I was asking if someone knew something I didn't in terms of the in these two model lines, besides 'quality' being somewhat subjective in general.
I think you are all misinterpreting the JDPowers quality reports. In these reports, "quality" means how many reported problems per 100 vehicles in their first months. "Reliability" means how many problems, and which ones, crop up later. Reliability tends to decline with the age of a model as the miles accumulate and stuff happens. Newer models (first year or two or three) in general have higher reliability ratings than older ones in Powers and Consumer Reports studies. Whether the knobs and buttons on your dash look or feel or taste good when new doesn't enter into the quality ratings.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2016, 08:30 PM   #42
Abstraction
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 228i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpsRider View Post
I had an old A4 and after 15 years and 100,000 miles it had no air leaks or rattles.
Off topic, but how'd the electronics hold up? i have not met one pre-B8 A4 owner who didn't have dozens of electrical gremlins and sensor issues.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2016, 12:38 AM   #43
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abstraction View Post
Off topic, but how'd the electronics hold up? i have not met one pre-B8 A4 owner who didn't have dozens of electrical gremlins and sensor issues.
It was pretty reliable. I had trouble with the cruise control, but I've had cruise control problems in 3 different Audis. The only other thing that happened was the water pump went out which is a major b*tch and costs a fortune in labor. It's best to just change the timing belt at the same time. Other than that it was just maintenance. It was actually a really nice car, I liked it a lot. I wish Audi offered one that size now with the center differential quattro system, the A3 and TT I believe have the Haldex system. The new A/S 4s are getting too big for me.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2016, 11:05 AM   #44
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG
The biggest change is that free maintenance will be three years beginning with the 2017 models vs. four years for the 2016 models.
The biggest change is the new engines.

Appreciate 0