THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Lowering the 2 series...

02-06-2016, 07:15 AM   #1
JayPee
Rep
Drives: 218d

Lowering the 2 series...

Hiya,

What are my options for lowering 218d coupé? Had a search on the internet and can't really anything

I've ideally got a budget of around £600, heard bad things about lowering with springs on stock struts, had a look at coilovers but don't really know what I'm looking for (eg. What is the max front/rear axle weight I should look at) and majority are above £1200+...

Any help would be appreciated (sorry for the nooby questions)

Thank you!

Edit: I apologize if it's in the wrong thread, mods, move if necessary...

Last edited by JayPee; 02-06-2016 at 07:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2016, 09:22 AM   #2
SteveInfante
NewFinishColumbia/detailer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F31 xDrive

My advice is go with a company that has a good reputation such as KW or Bilstein. Save your money and do it right the first time. it doesn't make sense to spend money on something that isn't going to work for what you are using the car for as well so take that into consideration too.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2016, 01:19 PM   #3
JayPee
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveInfante View Post
My advice is go with a company that has a good reputation such as KW or Bilstein. Save your money and do it right the first time. it doesn't make sense to spend money on something that isn't going to work for what you are using the car for as well so take that into consideration too.
Oh right, I looked at KW and Bilstein but thought they were a bit expensive for what I was wanting them for (mainly, for aesthetic reasons) but I want reliability, there's no point forking a few hundred out and having to replace the struts after a few month.
So is the cheapest/only way is to go with the reputable companies and get coilovers?
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2016, 07:37 PM   #4
SteveInfante
NewFinishColumbia/detailer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F31 xDrive

Not entirely but you will be covered under the KW lifetime warranty for the V1-V3. if you are just lowering there are options with either that are less than 1K US.

If you don't need adjustability then springs would work. Stuts would be needed eventually and then after installing then you would've spent the same amount as a set of coil overs. EDC adds some cost as well with coil overs. You can opt you get the non-EDC version and get the the car coded to rid the error message. depends on a few factors. EDC or not. height adjustable or not.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2016, 08:16 PM   #5
atomsapple
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C, 2018 X3M40i, 765RS

Garage List
It is important to know the drop you are looking for before shopping. I was looking for a very subtle drop so I went with Dinan Springs and it sits beautifully. The car is also more grounded and corners better.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2016, 03:45 AM   #6
JayPee
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomsapple View Post
It is important to know the drop you are looking for before shopping. I was looking for a very subtle drop so I went with Dinan Springs and it sits beautifully. The car is also more grounded and corners better.
I wanted it to minimize the arch-gap but still be everyday reasonable, I think I'm looking at a 25 to 40mm drop but I'm not quite sure... Do you know what kind of a drop I need to sit just above the wheel?
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2016, 04:17 PM   #7
atomsapple
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C, 2018 X3M40i, 765RS

Garage List
40 would be a lot, mine is only 15mm. I can add photos soon.
Appreciate 1
      02-08-2016, 04:58 PM   #8
BarryJI
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 228i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomsapple View Post
40 would be a lot, mine is only 15mm. I can add photos soon.
I'd be interested in photos, atomsapple, because I am going to do the Dinan springs and ride kit in the next couple of weeks and am curious to see how your 2 looks. I am very glad you like the handling gains because I'm not doing this just for the drop (although a little less headroom in those arches will definitely make an already good looking car look better still).

Stop Press: The parts just came in so the installation will take place on Weds 2/10.

Last edited by BarryJI; 02-08-2016 at 05:38 PM..
Appreciate 1
      02-09-2016, 02:37 PM   #9
JayPee
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryJI View Post
I'd be interested in photos, atomsapple, because I am going to do the Dinan springs and ride kit in the next couple of weeks and am curious to see how your 2 looks. I am very glad you like the handling gains because I'm not doing this just for the drop (although a little less headroom in those arches will definitely make an already good looking car look better still).

Stop Press: The parts just came in so the installation will take place on Weds 2/10.
Post pics when fitted! I'm assuming the Dinan springs won't work on the 218d?
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2016, 10:58 AM   #10
BarryJI
Captain
United_States
Rep

Pics incoming, later today or tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2016, 12:58 PM   #11
tbonez3858
Private
Rep
Drives: Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveInfante View Post
Not entirely but you will be covered under the KW lifetime warranty for the V1-V3. if you are just lowering there are options with either that are less than 1K US.

If you don't need adjustability then springs would work. Stuts would be needed eventually and then after installing then you would've spent the same amount as a set of coil overs. EDC adds some cost as well with coil overs. You can opt you get the non-EDC version and get the the car coded to rid the error message. depends on a few factors. EDC or not. height adjustable or not.

I agree..To me springs are kind of a waste. Springs start off great and then after a few years they end up compressing/settling and you get bounce and bottoming out. I wont ever do another set of springs on my car and I've been running springs on my car since the early 90s. In the future I will go after a set of coil overs.

Cheap coilovers are a nightmare and actually hurt the performance of the car so you end up spending big dollars for a decent set...Doing it right is an expensive proposition.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2016, 01:06 PM   #12
Icy J
im a car
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: 220i M Sport | 520i M Sport

Garage List
2014 BMW 220i  [10.00]
Mine dropped on KW V1.

Might be useful to note that while that height looks great from the front/rear 3/4 angle, from the side it looks a bit low:

Would suggest coilovers just for the sake of not having to replace springs/whatever in the future and adjustability

'14 220i M Sport | AW/CR | PUR Wheels RS07 19" | KW V1 | MTC Design F2X Kit [CF] | Stage 1 ECU Tune | Eventuri CF Intake | Manhart Race Exhaust/Resonator Delete | ER HFC Downpipe | F8X LCA + TS | M Style Grilles | Gloss Black Roof | Custom Steering Wheel | Autotecknic Competition Shift Paddles [YMB]
Instagram: @icyj95 | FB
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2016, 02:46 PM   #13
JayPee
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy J View Post
Mine dropped on KW V1.

Might be useful to note that while that height looks great from the front/rear 3/4 angle, from the side it looks a bit low:

Would suggest coilovers just for the sake of not having to replace springs/whatever in the future and adjustability
Wow

Are there any coilovers under £800? (or equivalent in dollars/euros?)
Also, (daft question, I know) but, will coilovers for the M235i fit 218d? I'm finding it hard to find parts for the smaller engined 2ers.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2016, 03:47 PM   #14
JayPee
Rep

Bilstein B14's look reasonably priced, what're peoples view on them?
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2016, 07:08 PM   #15
StarMan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17' M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPee View Post
Bilstein B14's look reasonably priced, what're peoples view on them?
I've had them on my M3, fantastic suspension for the track, as for daily driving, it was extremely stiff, i cared more about performance than comfort. Keep in mind that if you do upgrade you will not be able to go into Sport+ mode (unless of course if you code the car, then i think you are able to use it).

Only Coilovers that would allow the use of Sport+ mode are KW DDC plug n play kit (but they are very pricey, only worth it if you are going to the track a lot....gotta pay to play).
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2016, 09:18 AM   #16
moldcad
Major
Poland
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by starvmarv View Post
Only Coilovers that would allow the use of Sport+ mode are KW DDC plug n play kit (but they are very pricey, only worth it if you are going to the track a lot....gotta pay to play).
+1 (Euro 2,500 in Europe though - ouch )
my RWD pirate & long-distance cruiser: 2015 M235i AT8, LSD
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2016, 11:18 AM   #17
JayPee
Rep

Quote:
I've had them on my M3, fantastic suspension for the track, as for daily driving, it was extremely stiff, i cared more about performance than comfort. Keep in mind that if you do upgrade you will not be able to go into Sport+ mode (unless of course if you code the car, then i think you are able to use it).

The use of Sport+ doesn't really bother me, as I won't ever track this car (it's only a 150hp dirty diesel, bless it lol), I just wanted a reasonably priced suspension drop which is atleast a little comfortable and realiable... But it seems 'reasonably priced', 'reliable' and 'comfortable' don't come hand in hand.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2016, 11:56 AM   #18
StarMan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17' M2

Quote:
The use of Sport+ doesn't really bother me, as I won't ever track this car (it's only a 150hp dirty diesel, bless it lol), I just wanted a reasonably priced suspension drop which is atleast a little comfortable and realiable... But it seems 'reasonably priced', 'reliable' and 'comfortable' don't come hand in hand.
Pshh...who said you needed power to take on the bends

Bilstein B14 PSS Coilovers is your best bet then (I had the PSS10 on the M3, solid coilovers but on the stiff side even at lowest settings, so i can't 100% speak for the B14). It's the least expensive of the bunch, upgraded handling, fully adjustable in ride hight, and good quality product.

Remember, you will need to get a EDC delete module or have it coded out, otherwise you will get a suspension error light on your dash. (I think they run $250 - $300 USD, KW website use to have it listed, but cannot find the module anymore)

Springs are fine for looks only and you don't have to worry about the EDC delete. (some say it reduces the lifespan of stock suspension, i dont much worry about this) I have H&R at home, haven't had the time to install them.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2016, 12:05 PM   #19
JayPee
Rep

Quote:
Pshh...who said you needed power to take on the bends

Bilstein B14 PSS Coilovers is your best bet then (I had the PSS10 on the M3, solid coilovers but on the stiff side even at lowest settings, so i can't 100% speak for the B14). It's the least expensive of the bunch, upgraded handling, fully adjustable in ride hight, and good quality product.

Remember, you will need to get a EDC delete module or have it coded out, otherwise you will get a suspension error light on your dash. (I think they run $250 - $300 USD, KW website use to have it listed, but cannot find the module anymore)

Springs are fine for looks only and you don't have to worry about the EDC delete. (some say it reduces the lifespan of stock suspension, i dont much worry about this) I have H&R at home, haven't had the time to install them.

Haha, I'd love to track a car, never experienced it!

For the same price I could get either the Bilsteins or H&R springs with Koni FSD shocks - would they work better? (would also save me from the $250 - $300 expense and I'm not liking the sound of the Bilsteins stiffness, lol)
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2016, 12:31 PM   #20
BarryJI
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yup. You get what you pay for.

2015 BMW 228i M Sport w/Track Handling Package
DAP | Lighting | Premium | Tech
DINANTRONICS Performance Tuner Stage 1 | DINAN Shockware | DINAN Free Flow Exhaust | DINAN Performance Spring Set + Ride Quality and Handling Kit
Appreciate 0