THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum trade in my E92 M3 for M235i? regret?

03-18-2014, 10:18 AM   #23
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

lol at comments of not being able to pull out in traffic fast enough or merge easily in M3. Learn how to drive! Also, get a BPM Sport stage 1 or 2 tune and torque concerns should go away. I like the M235i a lot, but it would definitely be a large downgrade from an E9x M3. Now if you have warranty concerns, or want something brand new, or feel that the M3 is too much car for you... M235i is a great choice.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2014, 10:31 AM   #24
superpenguin
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 | F10 535i

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by basiluf View Post
Straight line. Track. Everything. The E93 M3 barely breaks 0-60 in 5.0 seconds.
At best it's .1 seconds faster. The E93 goes 0-60 in 4.6s, and the best I've seen for the 235 is 4.5s. It's got a better power-to-weight ratio than the M235i. I'm sorry, you're just wrong. It's neither here nor there because comparing coupes vs. convertibles performance is silly, but I guess it's the best you can do since coupe for coupe the M3 mops the floor with the 235 (and, given the price difference, it very well should)

I would love to see the Stig take an M235i around Dunsfold. It may well post a better time than the M3 or even the 1M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spmd11 View Post
(M235i) It's really a spiced up car for your spouse.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2014, 10:49 AM   #25
golf_234
Captain
Rep
Drives: E46, E90, F30

The E9X M is undoubtedly a cool car, I just personally feel that the 235 is closer to classic bmw roots, honestly, driver slanted dash, i6, general styling. I really can't explain how much I dislike the e9x interiors. It is a dealbreaker for me. Have to have that driver slant dash, it is part of what makes BMW.
      03-18-2014, 11:17 AM   #26
superpenguin
Private
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by golf_234 View Post
The E9X M is undoubtedly a cool car, I just personally feel that the 235 is closer to classic bmw roots, honestly, driver slanted dash, i6, general styling. I really can't explain how much I dislike the e9x interiors. It is a dealbreaker for me. Have to have that driver slant dash, it is part of what makes BMW.
To each his own, but I totally get where you're coming from; I abhor 911 interiors

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2014, 11:40 AM   #27
basiluf
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 S450 2018 S90

Quote:
Originally Posted by superpenguin View Post
At best it's .1 seconds faster. The E93 goes 0-60 in 4.6s, and the best I've seen for the 235 is 4.5s. It's got a better power-to-weight ratio than the M235i. I'm sorry, you're just wrong. It's neither here nor there because comparing coupes vs. convertibles performance is silly, but I guess it's the best you can do since coupe for coupe the M3 mops the floor with the 235 (and, given the price difference, it very well should)

I would love to see the Stig take an M235i around Dunsfold. It may well post a better time than the M3 or even the 1M.
I would do a bit of research first before you spout off absolutes. You don't even have an E93 so I'm not so sure why you are getting so defensive.

The stig already took an M135i around Dunsfold. It was quicker than an E90 M3.

01:25.0 BMW 1 Series M Coupe (damp) Series 17, Episode 1
01:25.1 BMW M135i Series 21, Episode 5
01:25.3 BMW M3 (E90 Saloon) Series 10, Episode 10
01:26.0 BMW Z4 M roadster (E85) Series 8, Episode 4
01:26.2 BMW M5 (E60) Series 6, Episode 9
01:26.5 BMW M3 E92 Competition Pack (moist) Series 16, Episode 5
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2014, 11:44 AM   #28
superpenguin
Private
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by basiluf View Post
I would do a bit of research first before you spout off absolutes. You don't even have an E93 so I'm not so sure why you are getting so defensive.

The stig already took an M135i around Dunsfold. It was quicker than an E90 M3.

01:25.0 BMW 1 Series M Coupe (damp) Series 17, Episode 1
01:25.1 BMW M135i Series 21, Episode 5
01:25.3 BMW M3 (E90 Saloon) Series 10, Episode 10
01:26.0 BMW Z4 M roadster (E85) Series 8, Episode 4
01:26.2 BMW M5 (E60) Series 6, Episode 9
01:26.5 BMW M3 E92 Competition Pack (moist) Series 16, Episode 5
Again, we are talking about different cars. M135i <> m235i. I do apologize if I came off as defensive, really I was just confused but the more I look, while I still don't think the 235 is faster than an M3, it's closer than it appears at first glance.

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2014, 11:52 AM   #29
basiluf
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by superpenguin View Post
Again, we are talking about different cars. M135i <> m235i. I do apologize if I came off as defensive, really I was just confused but the more I look, while I still don't think the 235 is faster than an M3, it's closer than it appears at first glance.
The M135i weighs basically the same as the M235i, but the M235i has slightly more horsepower. In other words, they should be equal performers.

MTs test of the M235i.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...5i_first_test/
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2014, 12:16 PM   #30
Transfer
Major General
Rep

M3 has power to weight ratio of ~8.9 while M235i is ~10.9. M3 also is considered to have better suspension. The top speeds for those laps were were 119 km/h (74mph) which is a serious handicap for the M3 compared to higher speed tracks so it should stand to reason they should be close competitors in that arena. Take it to a track that you can see >100mph (real track! lol) and the 0.2s difference will likely widen.

The Top Gear track does highlight what I think a lot of people are complaining about with the M3 though, in that it doesn't really shine until you are breaking the law on the streets. It was verrrry difficult for me to not drive 100mph with any open road when I owned my M3 and I was pulled over several times in the last 2 months of ownership. This was one of the small reasons I sold mine, but another reason was that I felt my track days and track mods were just more money than I wanted to spend on an already expensive car. I didn't want my car and track time to be a financial priority. So if you're not going to the track, and don't need the V8 to keep you excited, the M235i makes way more sense.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2014, 12:35 PM   #31
superpenguin
Private
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post
M3 has power to weight ratio of ~8.9 while M235i is ~10.9. M3 also is considered to have better suspension. The top speeds for those laps were were 119 km/h (74mph) which is a serious handicap for the M3 compared to higher speed tracks so it should stand to reason they should be close competitors in that arena. Take it to a track that you can see >100mph (real track! lol) and the 0.2s difference will likely widen.

The Top Gear track does highlight what I think a lot of people are complaining about with the M3 though, in that it doesn't really shine until you are breaking the law on the streets. It was verrrry difficult for me to not drive 100mph with any open road when I owned my M3 and I was pulled over several times in the last 2 months of ownership. This was one of the small reasons I sold mine, but another reason was that I felt my track days and track mods were just more money than I wanted to spend on an already expensive car. I didn't want my car and track time to be a financial priority. So if you're not going to the track, and don't need the V8 to keep you excited, the M235i makes way more sense.
This is the problem I have locally, all of our tracks are super short without much room to let a big V8 breathe. That's why miatas have most of the lap records around here

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2014, 12:46 PM   #32
basiluf
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

We were specifically talking about the E93 M3. The power to weight ratio is very similar to the M235i.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2014, 07:01 PM   #33
Transfer
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by basiluf
Quote:

We were specifically talking about the E93 M3. The power to weight ratio is very similar to the M235i.
Yeah but someone compared E90 track time to M235i so that's my 2 cents.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2014, 07:55 PM   #34
five3three
Major
Rep
Drives: m2c

Quote:
lol at comments of not being able to pull out in traffic fast enough or merge easily in M3. Learn how to drive!
I guess I will have to go to M driving school then since I am one of those who felt like flooring it from a standstill to switch lanes into traffic moving at 30-50 mph left me wanting more from the car. But my N54 335i has never given me that feeling. So, I guess it's just the M's that I have to learn how to drive.

I had a couple of thousand hands on miles on the autobahn in an E92 a couple of years ago going flat out and had a blast in the process. The V8 power when going from the restricted portions of 80-120 kph to whatever it could reach on the de-restricted stretches was incredible. It was untouchable and was meant for those 140+ mph speeds. There was nothing like burning a full tank of gas in an hour and then doing it all over again. That's where those cars shine (at least the E9X's). I didn't get a chance to take it to the Ring but I can imagine it would have done great there too.

I almost bought an E90 M3 a few years ago as well. But, since most of my driving is city driving with an occasional highway ride (if lucky enough to not be in bumper to bumper traffic), the 335 was a much better choice for me. The low end power delivery, way better fuel efficiency and realization that there are no convenient tracks around me to make it a regular habit made the M3 a not so wise choice. For those reasons (and the fact that the E9X's are no longer produced, not up for the headache of maintaining an out of warranty M3, and that the upcoming M3/M4's have gotten way too large for my liking for my next immediate car) I ordered a 235.

To each his own though. If I lived somewhere with lots of open roads and highways, I'd have considered a new M3/M4 more seriously.

Last edited by five3three; 03-18-2014 at 08:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2014, 09:07 PM   #35
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

You have to be in the right gear and be willing to go near redline. The E92 M3 has more torque at the wheels in first gear than a C6 Corvette, nevermind a 335i.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2014, 09:12 PM   #36
five3three
Major
Rep
Drives: m2c

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
You have to be in the right gear and be willing to go near redline. The E92 M3 has more torque at the wheels in first gear than a C6 Corvette, nevermind a 335i.
It's the experience I had with it. At redline it's fantastic but before getting to redline is where I wanted more power, pretty much as soon as I hit the pedal. I loved the car don't get me wrong. It just didn't fit the bill for me. For you and for others, it may be exactly what you are looking for and what you need. The new M3 may be suitable when I need a bigger car in a few years but will have to try it and see when the time comes. For what's available now being back in the market, an out of warranty or used M3 is not part of the equation.

Where I live, having an M3 does not benefit you in any way and you will never realize the difference in any practical daily driving situations since it just shitty traffic everywhere you go, just like LA where the OP was from. I spend half my time avoiding potholes. Sure, you can enjoy it if you are willing to drive a few hours to find a track once in a while or drive an hour out into Virginia or Maryland you can let it loose for a bit until you get pulled over. Here, it's a status symbol of sorts (if you ignore the ones with the M5's/M6's, etc). However, once the new M3's and M4's start hitting the road, that reason will no longer be there either and it will just be a dated design that only enthusiasts can appreciate (and the owner can appreciate the out of warranty repairs and maintenance on it).

The OP also was concerned about low end torque and that's one of the reasons he was inquiring about getting out of his M3 and into something else (in addition to other reasons such as a dated body, etc). So, to insist that the low end torque is there and the driver is the one at fault doesn't really help that OP in any way. So, back to his concerns, my belief is that the 235 will cover everything he is looking for in the torque department as well as being in a newer vehicle with all the new toys in it. There's no DCT but the 8 speed has been very highly rated in all the reviews I have seen.

Last edited by five3three; 03-18-2014 at 09:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2014, 10:00 PM   #37
ska///235i
***** noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325xi&gt;M235i&gt;428GCx Mspor

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
if we all buy cars base on numbers on paper then we have a serious problem..no??

OP, buy/drive what you think is best for you...upgrade, downgrade...who cares
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2014, 04:49 AM   #38
Voices
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 35i, DCT

Coming from a Z4 35i me and my partner test drove the E93 M3. It was the launch of the 2 Series and we happened to see a new 2 series at the BMW showroom on the day of the test drive. I instantly liked how dinky it was. The E90 M3's now look very dated in comparison to the 2 and 4 series.

The M3 test drive didn't really impress us. Don't get me wrong - it's a great car and at high speeds it is very quick, but it didn't seem engaging or involving for us. It felt quite big and I can't say I was a massive fan of the V8 engine sound. There is something very special about owning an M3, as it's a proper M car and they still look awesome, particularly in white but it left a lot to be desired for.

A week later we test drove the M235i. The car felt quicker at lower speeds in comparison to not only the M3, but our Z4 35i, which has an older engine. Most importantly it felt fun and dinky. The M235i is just as quick as an M3 from 0-60 (4.8 seconds), which is blinding when you really think about it. The only time the M3 will really shine in day to day conditions is on highway / motorways where you really get to feel the V8 and the high end torque that the car can produce.

I am not comparing these cars for track performance, just every day road use. The V8 will drink petrol in comparison and the maintenance costs will be about 20% more.

We are planning on ordering a M235i as a change from our Z4. The Z4 is a great car with the DCT gearbox, but the new 8 speed auto is very good too. Good enough for us not to really miss the DCT in daily driving conditions. I'm also looking forward to 18 inch standard tyres and not the 19 inch run-flats we have on the Z4, which gives a super hard and harsh ride.

The M235i will meet our requirements. It's super quick, very fun, practical and sporty.

I highly recommend anyone considering an M3 E90 to test drive the M235i alongside it before parting with their cash.
Appreciate 1
      03-21-2014, 05:44 AM   #39
mjposner
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 40i

I am in the same boat as I have an E93 M3 going out of warranty and looking at nearly 5k for an extended warranty. I never track, and I this is a dd for me.

Pros for M235i= More Torque, More tuneable, better gas mnileage (I could save $1,000 a year), full warranty, free maintenance, newer tech, lighter by 600 pounds

Cons = Lose convertible, electric steering, lower quality interior (seats), less cachet, V8

I will test drive and then decide.

My Car Photo Blog: http://carfisheye.blogspot.com/
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2014, 07:06 AM   #40
Delnari
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 MG F22 Auto

Having owned a few BMW cars (1802, 520i, 323i, 335i) in my view the new 2 series is the best of all them I have owned. Of the cars I have owned, only the 323i Alpina was close to my new M235i in size and fun factor. Given that, I'm looking forward to getting the M2 when it is announced. The 2 series seems to be just the right size for a BMW sports car when compare to the size of the other current models.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2014, 07:22 AM   #41
Gaviin
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Are you using the term "dinky" as a positive? What does it mean?
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2014, 08:04 AM   #42
Voices
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 35i, DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaviin View Post
Are you using the term "dinky" as a positive? What does it mean?
Yes, in a positive context. Dinky as in small, cute and compact in comparison to the M3 which was bigger. I like small 'dinky' cars!
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2014, 07:49 PM   #43
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS919 View Post
I agree with you on the back seat room. I don't for driver seat, at 5' 11" you shouldn't have any trouble getting a good comfortable driving position. I'm 5' 10" and there is plenty of room left to adjust for taller drivers. Maybe you didn't have the seat lowered all of the way or something was blocking the seat?
Perhaps it was the power seats. My position involves my head being ~ 2-3" from the roof. I had a hard time with that.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2014, 09:11 PM   #44
Bimmed Out
There Is No Substitute
Rep
Drives: Several 911's

Quote:
lol at comments of not being able to pull out in traffic fast enough or merge easily in M3. Learn how to drive! Also, get a BPM Sport stage 1 or 2 tune and torque concerns should go away. I like the M235i a lot, but it would definitely be a large downgrade from an E9x M3.
+1
Appreciate 0