THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Anyone else think the suspension is soft (M235i)

08-01-2014, 11:33 AM   #1
ska///235i
***** noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325xi>M235i>428GCx Mspor

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
Ok, im not saying the suspensions are not good but I expected alot more from what was suppose to be a $1000 option on other models (adaptive suspension), plus all the rave from reviews.

Even in sports/sport + with chasis selected...the suspensions on the 235 is still a bit soft and some bodyroll. For a M Performance car is somewhat disappointing. Im suprise that the dampers only have one size fit all setup (comfort and sport). I mean whats the point of having a controllable dampers if you only have 2 choices...wish they made a few different setups.

Am I the only one complaining??
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2014, 12:42 PM   #2
zkeeper
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 & 08 Z4 si

Sell it quick...before your weekend is totally ruined. Somebody in Boston will be a happy camper. LOL

Have not felt the same issues--and coming from well prepped vintage racing and prepped BMW's for that matter.

Even on some fine tight curving back roads last weekend, it performed as well,,,or better than I expected for its design. I hear you, but didn't have the same reactions. Actually very pleased with it, as it stands. Others may agree with you though.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2014, 12:47 PM   #3
ska///235i
***** noob
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
Could it be that my suspension still need to settle lol
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2014, 01:29 PM   #4
2msport
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 228 MT

I think it does a really good job of absorbing bumps and impact so it gives the illusion of being soft at times. However if you throw into a turn in sport mode it will stay quite flat and firm. Remember it's always reacting and changing the dampening to what it thinks it's needs. But if you're used to rock hard suspension then yeah, it will be softer in comparison.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2014, 08:11 PM   #5
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by ska///235i View Post
Ok, im not saying the suspensions are not good but I expected alot more from what was suppose to be a $1000 option on other models (adaptive suspension), plus all the rave from reviews.

Even in sports/sport + with chasis selected...the suspensions on the 235 is still a bit soft and some bodyroll. For a M Performance car is somewhat disappointing. Im suprise that the dampers only have one size fit all setup (comfort and sport). I mean whats the point of having a controllable dampers if you only have 2 choices...wish they made a few different setups.

Too soft! Absolutely. I have been saying that but just get grief. Glad someone else noticed. I wish they just made a firm M sport fixed suspension.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2014, 10:18 PM   #6
ska///235i
***** noob
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob
Quote:

Too soft! Absolutely. I have been saying that but just get grief. Glad someone else noticed. I wish they just made a firm M sport fixed suspension.
Exactly, or at least make the chasis selection more solid or have 2 selection (current config and a more rock solid..sport ++++
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2014, 10:57 PM   #7
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Exactly, or at least make the chasis selection more solid or have 2 selection (current config and a more rock solid..sport ++++
The M adaptive dampers continuously adjust their damping rate based on the road surface, and body motions such as transitional handling where weight transfer is fast.
The dampers simply adjust their internal valving in order to provide the best control of the springs.

It's not the dampers that are "soft" per se, it's the springs.
Simply having the ability to dial in firmer control in the dampers isn't going to fix the softness. If you could dial in more damping, then you'd have an over-damped suspension and that would feel awful.
Remember, those 2 settings are simply adjusting "around" 2 levels of damping.
Comfort provides a wider range of valve opening in order to absorb the springs motions in a softer range, and that gives a nice smooth ride like on a highway.
Sport sets the dampers to a firmer ranger so that the valving is more aggressive in general to provide firmer control of the springs, which is better for handling on more aggressive driving conditions.
The M adaptive dampers are already providing firmer or softer adjustment accordingly, so no need to have firmer valving.

The problem with current BMW sport suspensions is that the spring rates are too soft. This is the same complaint I have with my 335i Msport with M adaptive. The dampers are very high tech and good technology.
The problem is the springs.
BMW can fix this problem, but they want you to pony up even more money to get the M Performance suspension. I don't know if it's available yet for the 2 series. For the 3 series the M performance suspension uses different dampers and different rate springs. Drivers who have this system really like it and say that it feels like a BMW sport suspension should.
I fault BMW for not using the proper firmer rate springs in the first place.
A Sport or Msport 3 series is chosen because that driver wants a firmer and better controlled suspension. It makes no sense to make it as soft as it is.
For the M235i it's the same. Drivers who want an M235i want the best sportiest suspension, and they shouldn't have to pay even more money to get it.
BMW knows this and that's why they've ramped up their M Performance options for extra cost.

I haven't driven an M235i yet, but I hope it's not as soft as my 335i Msport.
Even though the adaptive dampers do a decent job, often I still get a jarring "hit" on some rough pavement while at the same time feeling too soft.
This is NOT how past BMW sport suspensions felt and worked.
My 2003 325i sport has the sport suspension and that car always felt planted and yet had a great smooth ride, all the while without any adaptive dampers.
BMW knows how to make a great street sport suspension, it's just that now you have to pay extra extra for it.
If they offer the M Performance suspension on the M235i as a factor install, then I'd get that since I'm leasing.
If I were purchasing to own the car I would likely just get a nice aftermarket set up.

What I'd really like to try is the M Performance springs with the adaptive dampers. I think that would work nicely.
Maybe a 2 series driver with the adaptive dampers will try it and report how the car behaves with firmer rate springs.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2014, 11:17 PM   #8
ska///235i
***** noob
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
Great explaination

I heard that if u opt for the M perf suspension it will not come with the adaptive damper feature...I could be wrong, but like you said someone can try that setup
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2014, 12:45 AM   #9
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

http://www.hrsprings.com/press/hr-sp...new-bmw-m235i/ maybe ?
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2014, 01:56 AM   #10
2msport
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 228 MT

Very nice explanation. Makes perfect sense
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2014, 06:52 AM   #11
Canaletto
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 4 Wheels

Quote:
I heard that if u opt for the M perf suspension it will not come with the adaptive damper feature...I could be wrong, but like you said someone can try that setup
I believe you are correct. If you look up the M Performance Suspension at the BMW parts site, it says it's only compatible with the 228i and not the M235i. I assume that this is because the M235i has the adaptive suspension as standard in the USA.

http://www.shopbmwusa.com/PRODUCT/44...NCE-SUSPENSION
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2014, 10:37 AM   #12
Demetrius Joel
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BSM/CR M235i

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
I happen to really like the suspension.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2014, 11:22 AM   #13
3.0L
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M235i, 20k miles

Quote:

I believe it depends on where you're coming from, i.e., what was your last car/s. I traded in a 2004 Mazda RX-8 with Sport package that I had owned for nearly 10 years. It was somewhat "trick" in regards to the suspension back in '04. From my perspective, my fully optioned M235i has a noticeably more firm suspension, even when in the so-called Comfort mode.

When writing your life's plan, use a pencil with an eraser
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2014, 11:33 AM   #14
Liquid2C
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
I have M Sport Suspension on my M235i. The adaptive one is an option where I live.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2014, 12:27 PM   #15
3.0L
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid2C View Post
I have M Sport Suspension on my M235i. The adaptive one is an option where I live.
What is the difference between "Adaptive M Sport Suspension" and "M Performance Suspension?"

My M235i is loaded with every option available except the Concierge Service and audible theft alarm - it has everything else, including the so-called "Adaptive M Sport Suspension." Is this the best suspension you can get from the factory?

Appreciate 0
      08-02-2014, 12:41 PM   #16
Liquid2C
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0L View Post
What is the difference between "Adaptive M Sport Suspension" and "M Performance Suspension?"

My M235i is loaded with every option available except the Concierge Service and audible theft alarm - it has everything else, including the so-called "Adaptive M Sport Suspension." Is this the best suspension you can get from the factory?
In my country you can choose between "M Sport suspension" and "M Adaptive suspension". The adaptive is considered superior by BMW in my country and is a paid option. Difference between these two is that the adaptive one has adaptive dampers while the sport one is fixed.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2014, 03:37 PM   #17
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes, I would have less issue with if they made the dynamic setup as firm as the fixed M sport, then gave you a crazy super firm autocross setting. They give you comfort instead. The problem is that in order to get comfortable you have to provide a soft part of the spring and more travel to soften the shock. You can compensate somewhat with firming the shock but you have already compromised it too much. They made a 228 non M and if you find it too firm, buy it or another softer car like the 3 series etc. Trying to make it a comfort cruiser and sports car sounds nice but you end up with it not being good at either!

I from the 'sell it' comments I can tell most are just fine with it because BMW made, therefore it's perfect, but people can be objective and it might help improve the next version. There is too much "love it or leave it" here. When my kids does something dumb or incorrect, I tell him to fix it and do it differently next time. It doesn't mean I don't love him...it means I love him so much that I want him to do well and become a better man. Same goes with the 2 series. It has my favorite dimensions of any current BMW but I want it a bit more focused toward performance. There are already hundreds of comfortable, sleep inducing cruisers out there and many of us are looking at the 2 series for something more.

Last edited by nachob; 08-02-2014 at 03:54 PM.. Reason: you people mistake, started to say you can me be objective, changed it to people can be objective but left you, sounds bad!
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2014, 03:53 PM   #18
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
In my country you can choose between "M Sport suspension" and "M Adaptive suspension". The adaptive is considered superior by BMW in my country and is a paid option. Difference between these two is that the adaptive one has adaptive dampers while the sport one is fixed.
That is a difference of opinions. The adaptive suspension is viewed and marketed as the best because it can provide comfort and firmness. you can run soft springs and the electronic shocks control dive and keep the car flat using software but they can feel a bit strange sometimes. The fixed M sport suspension is slightly less firm than the max EDC suspension but it is predictable and you know what it will do. It is almost like manual and DCT. DCT might shift faster but the computer is doing the work. The manual might shift slower but is very predictable.

Again, if the EDC was tuned with the fixed suspension firmness as the baseline with similar spring rates, then added extra firmness that would be true performance based choice but it is compromised by adding the comfort component. Many guys like to quote F1 which had active suspensions but their baseline was never comfort, it was firm to begin with and not compromised. Furthermore, they were very good and were outlawed from F1 but they were exposed somewhat at 1992 Monaco Grand Prix where they had to disable it because Monaco runs through the streets and varying surfaces. The software and processors could not figure it out so it was turned off allowing Ayrton Senna to stay close to Nigel Mansell even though Mansel also had more power. After a flat and pitt, Senna got in front and blocked him to win the race in one of the most exciting F1 finishes ever.

The software and electronics have come a long way since then but while the EDC is probably a better all around suspension, it should still be more focused throughout a narrower range of sport and autocross than comfort and autocross in my opinion. Also, if you read carefully from those that are actually race drivers they often find the EDC does some strange things. Most of us are not at that point but there is nothing wrong with the M-sport fixed and tuned by M suspension and while EDC might tick better numbers, I still like the more natural feel and predictability of a firm fixed suspension.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2014, 04:01 PM   #19
Lucky13
Lucky13
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235 manual, 2020 X3 30X

I owned 3 E46 m3's that used to beat the shit out of me because they were so firm, totally non forgiving on pretty much any small ruts, cracks, potholes etc. I had a 2007 X3 M Sport with 19" rims that was like riding in a wagon train it was so rough. The M235 is a little soft but I don't have a problem with it but I don't track it. For everyday driving its superior but yes it is softer.
1995 325i, 1996 328ci, 1997 528i, 1997 Z3 2.8, 2000 528i, 2001 X5 3.0, 2001 330i Convertible, 2002 M3 Convertible, 2003 M3 Coupe, 2004 M3 Coupe, 2004 Z4 3.0, 2004 X3 3.0, 2007 X3 3.0, 2007 335i Convertible, 2013 X1 28 sdrive, 2014 M235 manual, 2020 X3 30i Xdrive
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2014, 04:36 PM   #20
darkerosxx
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '14 M235i

Coming from an e46 330ci (the model just below the M3), the suspension is far far superior to what I had on that car. Given that my vehicle was the model just below M and the huge difference between the suspension on that car and the suspension on the M235i, I'm extremely happy with it.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2014, 06:59 PM   #21
Canaletto
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 4 Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0L View Post

Quote:
There still seems to be a lot of confusion about the suspension options available.

As far as I know, there are three suspensions available from the factory:

(1) Standard Suspension (not sure what the technical name for it is). I believe it's only available on base (i.e. not Sport Line or M-Sport Line) 228i cars (at least in the USA). This is the softest suspension and is non-adjustable.

(2) M Sport Suspension. This is the standard suspension on Sport Line and M-Sport Line 228i cars. It is also non-adjustable, but is 10mm lower than the Standard Suspension.

(3) Adaptive M Suspension. This is an option on all 228i cars and is standard on the M235i (again, at least in the USA). As the name implies, this suspension has adjustable settings. I believe that it's hardest setting is stiffer than the M Sport Suspension, but I'm not sure.

However, there is also a fourth suspension option. That is the M Performance Suspension. It is not available from the factory (as far as I am aware). It is a dealer-installed (possibly port-installed, too?) option. It is 20mm lower than the Standard Suspension. This is supposed to be even stiffer than the Adaptive M Suspension in its firmest setting (but I've never seen anyone do an actual comparison yet).
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2014, 10:34 AM   #22
3.0L
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canaletto View Post
There still seems to be a lot of confusion about the suspension options available.

As far as I know, there are three suspensions available from the factory:

(1) Standard Suspension (not sure what the technical name for it is). I believe it's only available on base (i.e. not Sport Line or M-Sport Line) 228i cars (at least in the USA). This is the softest suspension and is non-adjustable.

(2) M Sport Suspension. This is the standard suspension on Sport Line and M-Sport Line 228i cars. It is also non-adjustable, but is 10mm lower than the Standard Suspension.

(3) Adaptive M Suspension. This is an option on all 228i cars and is standard on the M235i (again, at least in the USA). As the name implies, this suspension has adjustable settings. I believe that it's hardest setting is stiffer than the M Sport Suspension, but I'm not sure.

However, there is also a fourth suspension option. That is the M Performance Suspension. It is not available from the factory (as far as I am aware). It is a dealer-installed (possibly port-installed, too?) option. It is 20mm lower than the Standard Suspension. This is supposed to be even stiffer than the Adaptive M Suspension in its firmest setting (but I've never seen anyone do an actual comparison yet).
Thanks for the great explanation!

Appreciate 0