THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General BMW News and Cars Discussion Understanding BMW's Poor Performance In the New IIHS Headlight Tests

04-12-2016, 09:00 AM   #45
jwzimm
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M3

I just adjusted my LED's up by two full turns of the adjustment screw on the headlight. The light projection is much improved! I am not blinding anyone but I can see so much more. The adjustment is very easy. There is a white allen screw on the top of each headlight. You turn the screw clockwise to raise it (I think, confirm on a wall). Just adjust both the same amount and you should be good.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2016, 09:49 AM   #46
kugasman
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 35d

Garage List
2011 X5 35d  [0.00]
The real villian here

The real problem here is the U.S. regulations, not headlight technology or BMW. BMW and Audi have been real innovators when it comes to headlight safety.

http://jalopnik.com/a-50-year-old-re...hea-1594900077

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cult...eadlight-tech/
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2016, 09:51 AM   #47
kugasman
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 35d

Garage List
2011 X5 35d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcades View Post
Not with LEDs.

If you have LEDs you will know because LEDs are extremely bright, it is so bright that for night time driving, you cannot see anything else. That is dangerous as LEDs blinds your surroundings at night. Your eyes won't adjust between such a bright object and complete no lighting that is beyond.

A stock US LEDs spec is bad, it is aimed so far on the ground you cannot see anything after where your lights are aimed at, especially if there is no ambient lighting. A Euro Spec LED changes that enough where you can actually see things around it, especially with Auto high beams you can see hell of a lot more then what US spec has.

The difference between a stock US LED and EU Spec LED is pretty big. Not to mention if you high beam a LED, you pretty much blind the opposite on coming traffic. The point of all of this is that BMW isn't adjusting their LEDs correct for US, it is fine for EU but it isn't for the US. US is pointed too far on the ground and most people that don't follow the forums or care, won't know about coding the LED headlights differently.

It is dangerous in suburban areas and US have plenty of that. You will be surprised how low light some places in the US have.

Edit: This is as much about how BMW's US Spec LEDs are pointed to the ground as how your eyes work at night. Either BMW themselves missed a step or they don't know how bad the US LEDs they have happens to be.
This is due to US regulations that require bad headlights.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2016, 10:56 AM   #48
BarlasaM
Gravity Sucks.
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Are the testing the headlights with a Stationary car or while its moving. Reason I am asking. To the best of my knowledge, the Adaptive Xenon or LED headlights on a BMW also includes Auto Leveling, at speed above I thinK 40 to 45 mph, the driver side lamp raises up by couple of degrees to make the LO Beam light project further down the road. Any clarification on this would help.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2016, 11:16 AM   #49
TheBry
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 G12 750i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIRPOWER View Post
This is actually a lot better than the other thread I read on the same subject.

Thanks for breaking it down the way you did.....very digestible.

Winner or not.....I still wouldn't be caught DEAD in a F-ing Prius (even at night with the better LEDs ), I don't even like to ride as a PAX in my friend's.
Haha! Have to admit I've felt the same -- usually when I'm in a long line of cars crawling behind some hyper-mileing Prius (or Camry) doing 55MPH in the fast lane with nothing but wide-open road in front of them. I often wish US drivers would adhere to the European standard (left lane use restricted to overtaking slower traffic). Alas, no.

Past: 2008 M3 (E93) naturally aspirated V8 realness!
Past: 2012 740Li (F02) M-Sport (European Delivery)
Present: 2016 750i (G12) M-Sport
Appreciate 1
      04-12-2016, 12:34 PM   #50
MFNATIK
Blocked from G80/G82 for having an opinion
United_States
Rep
Drives: Trek Domane

I hope BMW realizes this is an easy fix and release a TSB and re-adjusts everyone's headlights to work properly.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2016, 12:38 PM   #51
MFNATIK
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarlasaM View Post
Are the testing the headlights with a Stationary car or while its moving. Reason I am asking. To the best of my knowledge, the Adaptive Xenon or LED headlights on a BMW also includes Auto Leveling, at speed above I thinK 40 to 45 mph, the driver side lamp raises up by couple of degrees to make the LO Beam light project further down the road. Any clarification on this would help.
This is probably true and when coupled with the Anti-dazzel high beam feature, the LEDs light up the whole road in such an amazing way that I have no issues with their output and have no idea what the IIHS is talking about hahaa
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2016, 03:32 PM   #52
Dazza335iC
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E39 M5, F15 35d

Garage List
2000 E39 M5 Dinan  [0.00]
2017 X5 35d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kugasman View Post
The real problem here is the U.S. regulations, not headlight technology or BMW. BMW and Audi have been real innovators when it comes to headlight safety.

Quote:
Sorry, but regulations have nothing to do with the poor performance of BMW headlights in this case. The problem is that they are aimed too low, a problem which is completely unconnected with any regulatory statute. The headlights are perfectly bright, and when aimed correctly, provide ample illumination (as has been testified to by many members here).

The Prius is subject to exactly the same regulations as BMWs, and yet its headlights have no problems at all. In this case you're incorrect in placing the blame with regulators; the blame lies squarely with BMW NA.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2016, 05:29 PM   #53
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep
Drives: Yes

There are numerous variables which are factors in this result. Chief among them are the differences between ECE and NHTSA requirements. ECE has a separate standard and measurement values for each type of light source (Halogen, HID, LED, and Laser) which uses and aggregate total of points for a maximum total luminance.

NHTSA (DOT) uses multiple points, but non-aggregate total, leaving only one point as the limiting (maximum) value. So the US/SAE lamps are de-rated and re-aligned to stay within the limit of the single maximum point value. This also affects Halogen and HID, but LED's are de-rated more than the others.

I made this partial illustration of an F10 with the de-rating removed. It has a few small errors due to differences between models and not all lighting modes are represented. For the US, only modes M1 (Foul Weather with Front Fog Lamps on), M5, and M15 are active. RoW gives additional modes of various combinations of aiming and intensity. The file is a vector so zoom in as much as one wants. Black represents 0% Illimination, White is 98% (max rated luminous output is based on 13v but supply power is 13.8v), and the various grey tones represent the various intensities of the LED arrays in their operating modes.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9...jZmckFOM2FjaWM
Appreciate 2
      04-12-2016, 05:49 PM   #54
Imola.ZHP
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW i3 BEV EE

Toyota puts LED headlights on every Carolla and has since its current generation started. Auto manufacturers need to go ahead and ditch halogen and HID and just implement all LED.

Hopefully tests likes these will help make that a reality.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2016, 05:50 PM   #55
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep

FMVSS 108 (US DOT Lighting regulations) will be reformed this year with the hearing in just two weeks from now. The photo is one of the test conditions (straight ahead, passing small vehicle at 100kmh) using the 4 vehicles acquired by the Department of Transportation to evaluate what changes (including Adaptive Driving Beams) will be implemented and to establish the testing procedures and requirements.

The 4 vehicles the DOT acquired from European Dealerships were: Audi A8 3.0TDI, BMW X5 M50d, Lexus LS460L F Sport, and MB E350 Bluetec.

The BMW was the only vehicle not reprogrammed to provide current DOT Beam Pattern and intensity regulations, yet was the only vehicle to pass the majority of the tests. It would not meet current requirements solely on the basis of the static cornering lamp height.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      04-12-2016, 05:51 PM   #56
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imola.ZHP
Toyota puts LED headlights on every Carolla and has since its current generation started. Auto manufacturers need to go ahead and ditch halogen and HID and just implement all LED.

Hopefully tests likes these will help make that a reality.
BMW will eliminate HID from the US after this current model year. Halogens will be gone by 2018.
Appreciate 1
      04-12-2016, 06:27 PM   #57
oonowindoo
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwzimm View Post
I just adjusted my LED's up by two full turns of the adjustment screw on the headlight. The light projection is much improved! I am not blinding anyone but I can see so much more. The adjustment is very easy. There is a white allen screw on the top of each headlight. You turn the screw clockwise to raise it (I think, confirm on a wall). Just adjust both the same amount and you should be good.
i have been waiting to know how to adjust the LEDs.

I had done the adjustment on all my HID cars before.

But since F3X LED uses all 4 headlights, do i have to adjust all 4 low beams individually? or just 1 adjustment on each side will adjust all 4?
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2016, 07:07 PM   #58
jwzimm
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by oonowindoo
Quote:

But since F3X LED uses all 4 headlights, do i have to adjust all 4 low beams individually? or just 1 adjustment on each side will adjust all 4?
I only saw the single adjustment screw and it appeared to move the entire beam pattern up. It makes sense really. You wouldn't want to aim them independently anyway since they work in tandem.

Give it a try. The worst you can do is not like it. So long as you record how far you adjusted them you can always put them back.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2016, 07:13 PM   #59
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by oonowindoo
Quote:

The inner and outer chambers (2 per headlamp assembly) sit on a "chassis". The chassis is moved/adjusted for up/down vertical changes. The outer chamber is the only one that moves horizontally.

The alignments can be a bit odd depending on any coding has been done as this changes the beam pattern, the alignment reference point, Null Stop (Zero Point), and the the left/right electronic soft stop points.

Each vehicle has a standard vertical value in PERCENTAGE DOWN from the alignment reference point on the headlamp assembly and the height at the measurement distance is calculated using this. 10m can be the distance but BMW suggest 25m for LED vertical aiming to achieve optimal results with the exception of Selective Beam alignment which is best at 6m-9m.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2016, 10:31 PM   #60
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazza335iC
Quote:

Quote:
The Prius is subject to exactly the same regulations as BMWs, and yet its headlights have no problems at all. In this case you're incorrect in placing the blame with regulators; the blame lies squarely with BMW NA.
The Prius is also using a different type of LED System than the 3er (Standard or Adaptive; doesn't matter). The Prius has a Pixel Matrix with an Optical Projection Lens allowing the beam distribution to be fine tuned even more than the BMW Compound Reflector System with the DOT "Cripplers" enabled.

I applaud the IIHS to go ahead and begin these ratings now, rather than after this months Congressional Oversight Committee Hearing. Until the FMVSS overhaul is in effect though, and the playing field is level, it's going to be comparing Apples to Sashimi.

Just like with current DOT LED Taillamps, the requirement is for a minimum percentage of tail light area to be illuminated for stop and turn indicators. It does not allow the higher output of LED's to be considered so some cars have bright ass tail lamps compared to others.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2016, 10:32 PM   #61
VTECaddict
Where'd my VTEC go?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330i 6MT

If you want to adjust to US DOT headlight aiming regulations, The left half of the beam should drop 2" below the center of the headlight projector/reflector at 25' in front of the car. The left half of the left and right beams should be level with each other.

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/aim/aim.html
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2016, 11:03 PM   #62
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTECaddict
If you want to adjust to US DOT headlight aiming regulations, The left half of the beam should drop 2" below the center of the headlight projector/reflector at 25' in front of the car. The left half of the left and right beams should be level with each other.

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/aim/aim.html
I have great respect for Daniel Stern and the amount of good information and resources his site provides.

However, for anyone wanting to vertically aim the Reflector Based LED Headlamps on their BMW properly and have NOT made any coding changes, the defined slope, plus the beam reference point height is used to determine the height at the reference distance. The Reflector LED's use a Harmonized E4 ECE/DOT Beam Pattern. VOL recommendations like those you linked can be used safely, but they are not optimal due to the light distribution differences.

Every BMW will have a permanent marking of the Percentage Slope Down on the headlamps (*Image 2* - some may even have two different gradients that will be notated as SAE -x% and ECE -x%; if they are not coded in any way, SAE value should be used).

Using the DOT Alignment point (it will be on the outer lens, approximately in the middle of the outer chamber horizontally and approx level with the top of the upper reflector vertically. It's a tiny circle with crosshairs that can be difficult to see (Image 3). The height of that point sets the Rise Value for the height at the beginning of the run using the slope value of the headlamp.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-13-2016, 11:20 AM   #63
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
Always with the god damn Prius
535i MIssion Performance, PS2, Helix HPFP Kit, Wagner FMIC, Spec 3 clutch, Steel SMF, Wolf Racing CP, UUC SSK, GFB dv, SprintBooster, Custom Dynomax Exhaust, M5 Sways, Eibach OE Springs, Koni Sports Adjustable, Custom Short Ram CAI

IG: @bmwdoubles
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2016, 12:06 PM   #64
oonowindoo
Captain
Rep

Drove my friends i3 last night. Its LED is not as bright in color (maybe because it is not aimed so low) but the light distribution and the covered areas are much better than my reflector LED...

We need those projectors..
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2016, 12:07 PM   #65
oonowindoo
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I only saw the single adjustment screw and it appeared to move the entire beam pattern up. It makes sense really. You wouldn't want to aim them independently anyway since they work in tandem.

Give it a try. The worst you can do is not like it. So long as you record how far you adjusted them you can always put them back.
ok i will give it a try. it can't be worse than what i have right now as long as i dont go crazy with the turning.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2016, 12:28 PM   #66
MFNATIK
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by oonowindoo View Post
Drove my friends i3 last night. Its LED is not as bright in color (maybe because it is not aimed so low) but the light distribution and the covered areas are much better than my reflector LED...

We need those projectors..
I have an i3 and I can confirm that the color and brightness are not on par with my F80 LED lights with NGHB. I can say it is like night and day different. The throw on the i3 does seem to be further on the low beams at low speeds but once the NGHB kicks in after 25mph (I had it coded to a lower speed limit than the EU version) the road becomes so lit, its just amazing.

The i3's LED light output is a bit more yellow in color, whiter than 4300K Xeons, maybe 4700K? The F80's LED system seems to be right at 5000k. Pure white and just right IMO.
Appreciate 0