THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum rear seat room of M235i?

03-05-2014, 12:00 PM   #1
88stlgrym3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 Lexus IS350

rear seat room of M235i?

for those had seat time in M235i? how adequate is the space? would it fit a front facing child seat? what about adults, would it able to fit couple adults reasonably comfortable?
2009 Smoky Granite Mica Lexus IS350, F-Sport products: 19'' staggered forged wheels, cold air intake, exhaust, rear sway bar, BC Racing coilovers
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2014, 12:01 PM   #2
MegaMatt3
Bimmer Candidate
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M235i

I second the part about a child seat. My wife is expecting our first child, so my entire decision about purchasing more or less depends on whether front- and rear-facing car seats can fit comfortably and safely in the back.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2014, 12:03 PM   #3
Deso
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB MT

I"m 5'7 and my head was an inch from the roof in the back seat when I sat strait up. Otherwise it was decent. Taking some buddies to lunch is doable, long road trips might suck.
Appreciate 1
BM235iW97.00
      03-05-2014, 12:07 PM   #4
five3three
Major
Rep
Drives: m2c

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaMatt3 View Post
I second the part about a child seat. My wife is expecting our first child, so my entire decision about purchasing more or less depends on whether front- and rear-facing car seats can fit comfortably and safely in the back.

Congrats but sorry, gotta say go with a sedan. Even if a rear facing seat fits fine, imagine the headache every time you have to put the kid in the car trying to get in there with the baby in the back to put him/her in there. Front facing is more doable but having to get back there to do the rear facing position with a fussy baby for the first year or two is a pain in the butt. There'll be time for a coupe once the kid's a little older.

It is cramped as is already in the back so I can imagine this to be more pain than it's worth.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2014, 12:21 PM   #5
dmboone25
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2024 Golf R / 2022 718 Spyder

Garage List
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
2007 328i  [10.00]
It is noticeably bigger in the back of the 2er vs. the 1er. I have had a front facing car seat in the back of my 1er for one of my neices that fit fine - the car has the LATCH system.

In terms of "PITA" - it might get old on a day to day basis, but 2 doors > 4 doors IMO.

In terms of adults, I am 5'11" and about 175, and can sit back in the bacl of my 1er in reasonable comfort for a good 30 min or so. My sister rode in the back from Indy to Nashville without too much complaining, and she is about 5'6"...

Hopefully that helps.

PS, you won't have the kid with you all of the time.
      03-05-2014, 12:26 PM   #6
bladeomatic
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88stlgrym3 View Post
for those had seat time in M235i? how adequate is the space? would it fit a front facing child seat? what about adults, would it able to fit couple adults reasonably comfortable?
I've sat for a bit in a new M235i and have one on order now. I gotta agree with others. I'm 6'2" and can fit my long legs in the back though quite tight and my head hits. A bit awkward climbing in each time too. When I had young kids, this is NOT a car I would have had. Sliding the seat up, climbing in to the back each time…no thanks. Plus there's all the dropped binkies and cheerios you have to hunt for.

Do yourself a favor and get a 3 series or similar if you're going to be in baby-hauling mode for awhile.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2014, 12:27 PM   #7
Cosa Nostra
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335i coupe

I'm 5'8"ish (and 5'9"ish with shoes on), and when I sat in the back of an M235i my head (hair) was pretty much just touching the roofline. Legroom, though by no means great, is not a major issue. Like most coupes, the car is somewhat difficult to get in and out of, but again not a major issue. Definitely only good for short trips and for average height adults (<= 5'10"ish). I agree w "five3five" that putting kids in the back w/b a real, real pain, but probably doable, and worth it if u truly love the car. Otherwise go for the less attractive but OK 3-series sedan or perhaps the not-so-good-looking but bigger 4-series coupe. I know if I have kids soon, their going in the back seat of the M235i, even if I have to stuff them in LOL.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2014, 01:12 PM   #8
five3three
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeomatic View Post
When I had young kids, this is NOT a car I would have had. Sliding the seat up, climbing in to the back each time…no thanks. Plus there's all the dropped binkies and cheerios you have to hunt for.

Do yourself a favor and get a 3 series or similar if you're going to be in baby-hauling mode for awhile.

Exactly. I have seen a couple of comments about front facing seats fitting fine. That's awesome, except that the baby first needs a year or two with rear facing seats. I can only imagine having to get in and out of the back to put a baby in there and then buckle the baby up and have to do the same just to check on the kid if they cry or if they need anything. It's way more headache than simply having a four door.

This car is awesome but isn't THAT awesome for that kind of trouble! Try it out. Take a car seat to the dealership and set it up rear facing and try to do the usual routine and see how that suits you.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2014, 01:38 PM   #9
MegaMatt3
Bimmer Candidate
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by five3three View Post
Exactly. I have seen a couple of comments about front facing seats fitting fine. That's awesome, except that the baby first needs a year or two with rear facing seats. I can only imagine having to get in and out of the back to put a baby in there and then buckle the baby up and have to do the same just to check on the kid if they cry or if they need anything. It's way more headache than simply having a four door.

This car is awesome but isn't THAT awesome for that kind of trouble! Try it out. Take a car seat to the dealership and set it up rear facing and try to do the usual routine and see how that suits you.
Haha. I guess this is where my naivety comes into play. Obviously I've never had kids, so to me it's as simple as plopping them into the seat, buckling a belt or two, and driving away. Reverse that process after I reach the destination. But more than a couple people have used words like "PITA" and "headache" when talking about putting babies/small kids in car seats.

I have a TSX now, so maybe I'll hold onto it through September (due date) to see how it works with a newborn, and make a decision then. That'll also give the market a little time to cool off.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2014, 01:58 PM   #10
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

All depends on how often the kid will be in the car. My brother has a 2-year old and a 911 4S Cabrio. She's in there once in a while and it's fine for what it is. Can the seat fit in the M235? Absolutely. Would you want to haul a kid around all day with all their crap to go get groceries, run errands, and have them in and out of it 10x each and every day? Absolutely not. Assuming this isn't your only means of transportation you could make do a few times a week. One other thing to keep in mind, not sure about front facing but rear facing seats have a base that stays in the car, and the part the little poop machine sits in has a handle and lifts out, almost like a small cradle. So assuming you take that in and out each time it might not be bad at all depending on where the release is. I am guessing you could find a seat that would work pretty easily and that one side of the car versus the other so the latches were all easily accessible could help quite a bit. Recaro actually makes an awesome looking seat (no idea how safe or features) that looks like a scaled down race seat with harnesses.

Keep in mind this is coming from someone without kids, only drive my niece on occasion, and my first car experience was dad slamming my 3-day old hand in his '77 280Z door. Luckily fingers < door gap and all was good, although mysteriously the car disappeared forever later that day.
Appreciate 2
      03-05-2014, 01:59 PM   #11
five3three
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaMatt3 View Post
I have a TSX now, so maybe I'll hold onto it through September (due date) to see how it works with a newborn, and make a decision then. That'll also give the market a little time to cool off.
Good plan! I think that if the baby was like 2 years old, it would be more doable since putting a kid facing forward into the seat is quite easy but reversing the entire process to do rear facing will probably be a nightmare.

After 2, the only thing you have to worry about (other than digging cheerios and goldfish out of the seats) is them constantly kicking your seats nonstop!
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2014, 02:23 PM   #12
88stlgrym3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 Lexus IS350

Quote:
Good plan! I think that if the baby was like 2 years old, it would be more doable since putting a kid facing forward into the seat is quite easy but reversing the entire process to do rear facing will probably be a nightmare.

After 2, the only thing you have to worry about (other than digging cheerios and goldfish out of the seats) is them constantly kicking your seats nonstop!

so true, mine already started doing that. i have a 2.5 year old, we have a SUV to haul her around, so most likely she won't use my car at all, but for emergencies i'd like to know for fact it can accommodate her.
2009 Smoky Granite Mica Lexus IS350, F-Sport products: 19'' staggered forged wheels, cold air intake, exhaust, rear sway bar, BC Racing coilovers
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2014, 08:50 PM   #13
ska///235i
***** noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325xi&gt;M235i&gt;428GCx Mspor

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
I'm a dad and my son is now two, I don't have experience with a 2 door but when its rear facing, its actually easier to put the child in the car...it's all about the system you're going to use. All you are doing is hold the seat by the handle and "click" the seat to the base and when you need to take the baby out, pull/press and out he/she goes.

Now as they get older the work is more involved cuz you'll have to carry the kid into there seat and then wrap them up to buckle . this is the pain in the ass part. But wait, ones they can walk and get to the seat by themselves....you just need to buckle for them

the only concern for me now is how easy the seat of the 2series will slide forward and how much room I have to get to the backseat (the access to the back and not how roomy the back actually is)....you see what Im trying to say???
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2014, 08:58 PM   #14
Greenkirby21
Vrooom :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Stringray

Can't really say for the 2er, but in my 128i my friend sat in the back of my car for 3 hour road trip. leg room was fine, and he is 5"8 and didn't have any head issues either.

The only thing is that it feels a bit clasterphoebic because you are cacooned in (no big window or door handles), but in terms of fit he fit good.
      03-05-2014, 09:29 PM   #15
siegester
Captain
Rep
Drives: '20 M340i

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Each person will feel differently given the same car and each kid is different too so my experience may differ drastically from yours. With that said..

I currently have a 19 month old in a mammoth sized rear facing seat in my 1 series. I have power seats to boot. I have seat position 2 programmed as all the way forward to ease the process. But I have to climb in and out of the backseat twice a day at least 4 days a week and buckle them in. Once back there it isnt a big deal. I have been doing this for over 9 months now and have no complaints. I am considering the 2 series knowing we will have more children in the future.

Also, passenger seat space is limited as the seat cannot go all the way back. My wife who is 5'8" is able to manage short trips when needed (we usually use her can when we can though).

The first 10 or so months with a newborn is very easy. You just snap the carrier into the base and go on within a few seconds.

Once the seat is forward facing I imagine it will be easier again as well.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 05:22 AM   #16
darcivic00si
Save the manuals!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lotus Evora S

Of course everyone will have different opinions on child seats especially in the back of a coupe. I agree with those who posted that rear facing seats should be okay to manage because they have a quick release so you can do the actual buckle/unbuckle outside of the car. I have never tried one in a coupe, though...

I have a 4 year old who is in a booster seat. She can't buckle herself in properly yet so I have to reach over her to do it. Surprisingly enough, it is much easier to get her buckled up in my E46 coupe vs my F30 sedan. I guess when I reach into the coupe I am kind of in front of her so I can get to the buckle easier. When I reach into the 4 door, I have to reach over her and it's harder for me to get to the buckle. Taller people might not have that problem, I am only 5' 3".

We plan on having one more kid at some point and I will happily deal with getting them in/out of my new 2er.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 08:06 AM   #17
ska///235i
***** noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325xi&gt;M235i&gt;428GCx Mspor

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjof2003
Each person will feel differently given the same car and each kid is different too so my experience may differ drastically from yours. With that said..

I currently have a 19 month old in a mammoth sized rear facing seat in my 1 series. I have power seats to boot. I have seat position 2 programmed as all the way forward to ease the process. But I have to climb in and out of the backseat twice a day at least 4 days a week and buckle them in. Once back there it isnt a big deal. I have been doing this for over 9 months now and have no complaints. I am considering the 2 series knowing we will have more children in the future.

Also, passenger seat space is limited as the seat cannot go all the way back. My wife who is 5'8" is able to manage short trips when needed (we usually use her can when we can though).

The first 10 or so months with a newborn is very easy. You just snap the carrier into the base and go on within a few seconds.

Once the seat is forward facing I imagine it will be easier again as well.
Good idea on programming #2 to go all the way back
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 11:22 AM   #18
therealm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 340 MSport

having recently raised two kids and one is just about done with a booster, I can say that 4 doors will be better. it sucks if you really like coupes, but the headache of trying to buckle a toddler day in and day out from a back seat or hunched through the front will be annoying. plus think about trying to do it in the rain or other bad weather while the door is propped open. also rear facing seats take up A LOT of space. in our E46 sedan the passenger seat had to be all the way forward for a graco carrier to fit. the E90 was better but still very close to all the way forward even with a rear facing convertible seat. I can't imagine the 235 has more room than either of those cars. Once the kids are completely front facing a coupe is doable but I would pass till then. the plus for you is the F30 looks better than the F32... flame suit on.

as far as 235 rear seat room goes, I sat in the back when I test drove it and my legs were fine but my head hit the roof and was not something I could do even for a short drive. (I am 6'3")
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 12:24 PM   #19
superpenguin
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 | F10 535i

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
There was a thread over on Rennlist a while back - a few 911 owners have put front and rear facing baby seats in the back seat - if it can be done in a 911, it can be done in a 2er
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2015, 10:45 PM   #20
evanescent03
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '24 M3 CS; '22 GT4

I was wondering about this as an "in a pinch" situation ... we have a 10 month old and a 2+ yr old. car seats are so bulky... the awesome recaro didn't fit in my m3 so it's now in the x3. oh well. in going to test drive a 228i and m235i tomorrow so at least now I'm confident that I'll be able to get them into the car!

Appreciate 0
      05-15-2015, 05:19 AM   #21
mfourn20
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 228i M Sport

I have an infant, rear facing. The 2 is awesome and I don't have have any issues putting my daughter in the back.

If you love your car as much as I do its well worth the small sacrifice.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2015, 07:02 AM   #22
tccox
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 228i Msport

Garage List
Quote:

And projectile vomiting,
As others have said a front facing seat might be doable, I cannot imagine trying to put a newborn in a rear facing seat in the back of a 2er