THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Autoevolution review rips on M235's handling

06-01-2014, 10:47 PM   #1
Devon K
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: TBD

Autoevolution review rips on M235's handling

Their conclusion - it's a GT, not a car for the enthusiast:
Quote:
The only issue here is that the suspension that treats you with quite some body roll, even in the sportier settings. We’ve had this issue with most BMW adaptive suspensions and were hoping the setup would be different here. It was not and that’s too bad, because the chassis is clearly a very capable one.

If we add the overly grippy setup, we end up with a compact BMW coupe that’s not exactly what you’d call playful. While you can have fun working with the body roll, when you want to powerslide the thing, the suspension makes the whole process feel imprecise....There were a few bends where the M235i was caught completely out - the car stayed on the grip and, as we pushed the rear end out, there was enough turbo lag to ruin the party.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2014, 12:32 AM   #2
hyperzulu
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

I suspect most will never push it to that level and this review is being the contrarian to get some attention. The car does roll quite a bit.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2014, 01:51 AM   #3
Ramos
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 2020 M340

I aways knew that to turn this car from cruiser to track weapon you needed to upgrade to the m performance passive suspension and LSD
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2014, 02:24 AM   #4
one1er
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M235i (Yet to come)

I understand their critiques, but I don't think BMW got the setup wrong, not for a second!

Hardcore buyers would always wait/go for the M2, while the not so hardcore love the M235i, so I think it does its part truly well, and past experience has shown me that a bit of body roll isn't such a bad thing once you equate that to your driving!

Also, you can go faster on a bumpier surface with a softer suspension, and we all know that most b-roads aren't racetrack smooth!

They went a bit over I think, and saying it isn't good when most are may be a way of getting some attention!

P.S. and if autoexpress manages the same lap time with an M235i as in an M3 CSL, that must say something about!

Last edited by one1er; 06-02-2014 at 02:38 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2014, 03:43 AM   #5
creepy coupe
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW M340I G20

Garage List
2015 BMW 435d  [0.00]
2009 335i  [0.00]
Funny how of the numerous reviews to date. No one else has said such a thing.
Previous.MINI JCW. E92 325i. 435d M235i.M135i. 635d Coupe, E92 M3 manual, E92 M3 DCT Competition Pack. E92 335i, Porsche Cayman S Gen2, 135i Coupe. E92 320d, MK5 R32. MK5 Golf GTi,MK5 Golf GT-TDI,E46 318Ci.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2014, 06:47 AM   #6
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by creepy coupe View Post
Funny how of the numerous reviews to date. No one else has said such a thing.
Many if all of the European test were done on the non-adaptive suspension set-up - could that be the case?

Someone mentioned softer better for bumps but also for wet where the suspension gradually loads in comparison to snappier breakaway with hardcore stiffness- that was the theory behind Peugeot's reputation for handling that I read about.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2014, 06:57 AM   #7
Canaletto
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 4 Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramos View Post
I aways knew that to turn this car from cruiser to track weapon you needed to upgrade to the m performance passive suspension and LSD
I thought that you couldn't get the M Performance suspension on the M235i?
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2014, 07:51 AM   #8
ManCityFan
Banned
Rep
Drives: Evo IX MR

“We strongly recommend you to go for the optional xDrive all-wheel drive.”

interesting review...
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2014, 08:20 AM   #9
Delnari
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 MG F22 Auto

All and all it is a good review of the car and they praise it's strengths. Being called a grand tourer is not a bad thing here. The car is heavier than it should be for a true M performance car. Heck, the new M3 & M4 are weight pigs that requires suspension magic to get them to handle as well as they do.

Drop another 200+ pounds out of the 2 series, increase the damper rate, wider rubber, true dual tune exhaust, and body panels to match the M name and you will have a real performance car. The M235i is not one, no matter how many "///M" badges get put on it. That said, I love the car for what it is and happy to wait for the M2.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2014, 09:49 AM   #10
one1er
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M235i (Yet to come)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManCityFan
“We strongly recommend you to go for the optional xDrive all-wheel drive.”

interesting review...
Exactly, I think this quote sums this guys logic and intellect...dumbass!
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2014, 10:18 AM   #11
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devon K View Post
I've been telling people this for some time now. It's fine if you want a firm car that you can soften it but they should've given us the option of a proper fixed M-sport suspension. They are excellent suspensions and what made BMW famous.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2014, 11:59 AM   #12
NYHoustonman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i Dinan S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
I've been telling people this for some time now. It's fine if you want a firm car that you can soften it but they should've given us the option of a proper fixed M-sport suspension. They are excellent suspensions and what made BMW famous.
On the other hand, this is the first time I've seen a reviewer disparage the M235i's handling characteristics. It's not an M car and so will never be as sharp. People are starting to make the same mistakes in judging this car as they did with the 135i - inflated expectations either vs. M cars or vs. vintage BMW's.

On that note, the 135i came stock with fixed 'M-sport suspension' and, as a sporty setup, it was less than ideal to say the least. The suspension (and tire) setup on the M235i is a vast improvement.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2014, 12:44 PM   #13
hyperzulu
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Most reviewers talk about the late e92 M3 about how it can be a track star one minute and a nice cruiser the next, thanks to its ability to change damper settings on the fly. This car didn't come with DHP so that you can drive it in Eco Pro one minute and turn the knob and it becomes an M2. It goes from soft to sporty. Not soft to race ready grip monster. There will be the M2 for that.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2014, 12:47 PM   #14
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperzulu View Post
Most reviewers talk about the late e92 M3 about how it can be a track star one minute and a nice cruiser the next, thanks to its ability to change damper settings on the fly. This car didn't come with DHP so that you can drive it in Eco Pro one minute and turn the knob and it becomes an M2. It goes from soft to sporty. Not soft to race ready grip monster. There will be the M2 for that.
Not sure where that came from? I believe most of the reviews panned the competition package with active suspension as not being any faster than standard and I think maybe even slower?
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2014, 12:52 PM   #15
hyperzulu
Colonel
United_States
Rep

It was a Jekyll and Hyde comparison. Without dynamic dampers, the e9x M3 was always on. With them, it could be both. Whether it was a half second slower is irrelevant. But the point is this car isn't supposed to change as dramatically.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2014, 01:25 PM   #16
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Look? The springs and shocks are matched for rebound and compression on fixed systems. It is an art. I have worked for factory prototype race teams and while my job was in the dynos. I learned a lot about suspensions too. So in order to get a soft ride you need a softer spring and then you stiffen it with the shock absorber! Think about it!!! If you had a super stiff spring you could have the softest magneto-whatever shock and it would still be stiff. So the springs are compromised to keep your butt cushy and the shock is compensating hundreds of times per second But not the same thing. The fixed suspension is matched and is firmer and more predictable. When BMW invents a space age magnetic spring that is matched to the shock then it might be better all around for performance . My whole point is that most of you think that you are not giving anything up with active suspension and that there is no downside whatsoever. All I am saying is that you are losing something for the cushy ride option.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2014, 01:48 PM   #17
hyperzulu
Colonel
United_States
Rep

I'm not really disagreeing with you. The M235i is not meant to be the M2, though. Whether or not it had DHP standard would not have stopped BMW from making the ride fit a wide audience of buyers. The fixed suspension would not have been much faster on the track or stiffer or anything to really make a real difference because BMW wouldn't put out a non M car that compromised ride quality to pick up a half second at Leguna Seca. It just would not happen. They would push away too many buyers from the standard package and make many yell at the fact that they had to spend extra to get the DHP just to make the car an easy to live with daily driver.

I have an e92 335is. It is BMWNA's attempt to offer something slightly special to those who were going to get a fully loaded 335i anyway. Even so, with such a small niche of buyers who were likely all enthusiast owners, they did not give the car a bespoke suspension to make it better handling. It was no better than the M-Sport 335i. It is by no means dull handling, but it could be much better, as evidenced by the e92 M3.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2014, 01:56 PM   #18
williewonkerz
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M235i

Garage List
2014 M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by one1er View Post
Exactly, I think this quote sums this guys logic and intellect...dumbass!
HAHAHA, i read that too, peed my pants a little I laughed so hard.

They completely discredited themselves in one single comment.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2014, 01:59 PM   #19
phoenixbmwlife
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i & G30 540i

Garage List
2014 BMW/M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
It's not an M car so it shouldn't have a proper M suspension. This reviewer is falling for the same Marketing that the average person is falling for. The M2 will have a proper suspension and will be rated as a true M car as it will be.

Follow me on Insta

https://www.instagram.com/bmwm_life_/
https://www.instagram.com/autogiftua/
https://www.instagram.com/phoenixbmwlife/
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2014, 02:16 PM   #20
Ramos
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 2020 M340

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devon K View Post
They have, it's available from the M performance catalog
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2014, 02:34 PM   #21
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperzulu View Post
I'm not really disagreeing with you. The M235i is not meant to be the M2, though. Whether or not it had DHP standard would not have stopped BMW from making the ride fit a wide audience of buyers. The fixed suspension would not have been much faster on the track or stiffer or anything to really make a real difference because BMW wouldn't put out a non M car that compromised ride quality to pick up a half second at Leguna Seca. It just would not happen. They would push away too many buyers from the standard package and make many yell at the fact that they had to spend extra to get the DHP just to make the car an easy to live with daily driver.

I have an e92 335is. It is BMWNA's attempt to offer something slightly special to those who were going to get a fully loaded 335i anyway. Even so, with such a small niche of buyers who were likely all enthusiast owners, they did not give the car a bespoke suspension to make it better handling. It was no better than the M-Sport 335i. It is by no means dull handling, but it could be much better, as evidenced by the e92 M3.
I personally think the m-sport 335 and IS were great freakin' real world cars. If I could buy an IS with manual I would love that option. The issue is that you do not have the choice of fixed or active in the USA and they put more M badges than the 1M coupe on it. I am not some 1M guy trying to feel big, I was looking to buy 235i but by bmwusa not making the fixed M sport suspension they hurt themselves with many of the BMW fans like
Me. I also disapprove of being forced to take I drive and the high up display as
Well as active sound. Even after this I actually asked my ca if I could order fixed M235 with fixed M sport and no idrive paying same price. No luck. I have 330i zhp which is probably the first M-sport and love it. The writing is in the wall and you are seeing more and more reviewers lamenting bmws direction and it could be resolved by just letting us check off a few boxes. I would be driving M235i right now the way I had configured it on the German configurator.

Last edited by nachob; 06-02-2014 at 02:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2014, 04:15 PM   #22
Canaletto
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 4 Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramos View Post
They have, it's available from the M performance catalog
It's apparently not compatible with the M235i, though.
Appreciate 0