BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Help me decide --> Long beach blue or Mineral Grey?

View Poll Results: Which color should I get?
Mineral Grey 86 51.81%
Long Beach Blue 80 48.19%
Voters: 166. You may not vote on this poll

08-04-2017, 06:41 PM   #23
AGM2
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 LBB 17

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by AGM2; 08-06-2017 at 09:54 AM..
Appreciate 1
DoZZa81.50
      08-04-2017, 06:41 PM   #24
Macphisto
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 ///M2

I went with Long Beach blue because...

1) all my previous cars have been white, silver, black
2) I wanted a color that wasn't readily available on other BMWs
3) the majority of cars on the road are white, silver, black
4) I like that Long Beach blue has more yellow than other BMW blues
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2017, 06:46 PM   #25
daftsham
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 F87 MG DCT

before i picked up mine, i was ok with anything BUT white. ended up with the MG (which was actually my first choice) and couldn't be happier. the LBB would have been ok too but just far too common on the M2 and personally didn't want that.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2017, 06:49 PM   #26
SW19
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 Alpine White M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Zed View Post
Only you can decide - don't worry about what *others* will think. Now...if only BMW offered BMW Individual paint choices on the M2, I am tired of the four color offerings!
I know the Leipzig plant doesn't have the individual paint shop like the Regensburg plant,where they build the M3,but how difficult would it be to just paint an M2 in Estoril Blue or Valencia Orange,which are both 2 series colors.They could just paint the M2 in those colors,when they are painting a run of 2 series cars in those colors.The M2 would look amazing painted in both of those colors.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2017, 06:54 PM   #27
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

Only you can decide but my input based on your first post is you would be very happy with mineral gray. It's beautiful. However, LBB is the better color.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2017, 07:12 PM   #28
DoZZa
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MY17 | M2 | DCT

Grey is boring, just a simple and dull colour.

Whereas Long Beach Blue is far from boring! ALWAYS get nothing but good comments about the colour, sorry, color!

Cant say I have seen any of this fabled green tinge that some people talk about with LBB, colour looks awesome in any light!
Appreciate 1
Corinne1171.00
      08-04-2017, 07:14 PM   #29
chmura
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGM2 View Post

That's the money shot picture.

LBB looks amazing in this pic. When I do my ED I hope to get a similar picture with my M2.

People that are on the fence driving on the ring in their vehicle should look at this pic.

Last edited by chmura; 08-04-2017 at 07:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2017, 07:20 PM   #30
DocB
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

The M2 looks great in MG. Sophisticated, yet aggressive. As you are a lawyer, I would go with MG.
2015 435 GC
2015 X1
2016 X1
2018 ///M2
2020 M340i
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2017, 07:26 PM   #31
Aloha Joe
Hanapaa!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 6mt, LBB

I have LBB but will tell you to get the grey. Less of my color out there, the better

In my twenties, my cars were always colorful, burnt orange, red & blue. As I neared my 30's, I didn't want to stand out, so my colors became neutral. Silver, black, white and grey. Really not colors when you think about it, just different levels of mixture, between black & white.

Age 59 now and finally mature enough, to not care what other people think about my choice in color. So it's LBB for me now, and who knows, if available, maybe Sakhir Orange on my next M2.

I have a feeling you will now have a tinge of regret no matter which color you choose. However if I were you, I'd go with the Mineral Grey as that's what you've always envisioned. Plus at your age and occupation, you'll have many opportunities to get a different sports car with different colors in the future.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2017, 08:05 PM   #32
Diver21
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

MG.

Every vote for LBB is just an attempt to reinforce a bad decision.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2017, 08:05 PM   #33
TropicalM
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 BSM DCT Z08

Go BSM
Appreciate 1
F87LUV3689.00
      08-04-2017, 08:32 PM   #34
M2Nebula
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2, X1, TSX WGN

After finally seeing all four choices in person I can say that I am completely satisfied with LBB. Really like the way it changes in different light and shows the lines of the car. I also think it works the best with the interior and wheels. I haven't had one negative comment on the color outside of this forum....everyone seems to love it, including me, which is most important.

My second choice would have been AW with the Motosport stripes. Not for everyone, but I think it is very fitting for the M2 and when you see it in person it makes sense. I saw the MG next to an Austin Yellow M4 and stared at them for what seemed like forever. Then went and stared at a MG M4. To me the MG works better on the M4.

(An Austin Yellow M2 with a carbon fiber roof and M mirrors like the M4 would be my first choice if available. The carbon just works so well with the Austin Yellow.)

Read this thread for other thoughts although it will probably make you more confused and you can't have it anyway.

http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1395937
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2017, 08:34 PM   #35
MineralGreyMetallic
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 24 BGM M2 6MT

If you're the type of person that cares what other people think about the color of your car, avoid the anxiety and get the MG.

LBB is more of a fun color, but those bright colors can get tiring. Speaking from experiencing having owned a WRB STI.

I never got sick of looking at any of my white, black, or grey cars.

This car in white, LBB, and MG almost look like 3 different cars. Black's your best bet for elegance, but pity on your soul when it comes to maintenance. LBB and white take carbon fiber mods much better than black and MG because of the contrast.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2017, 08:42 PM   #36
bruin1md
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Toyota 4runner TRD Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtianh View Post
Hi all, I have a Week 38 production date for a 2018 M2. I've solidified every option/accessory OTHER than the color. I currently have mineral grey on order, but I'm really debating back and forth between MG and Long beach blue.

Here are my thoughts:

1. I'm 29, this is my first real "sports car," and I'd always envisioned myself driving a gunmetal grey car, tinted out, with dark wheels. That's basically what the MG m2 would be.

2. When I first saw the car in person, I didn't LOVE the LBB, and I liked the MG but didn't love it. I saw both in the sunlight. When I saw the car a second time, I felt the same way about the MG, but I liked the LBB a lot more. The first dealership I visited had a LBB with the stock chrome trim, while the second one had a LBB with tint and with the black side and front grills. I think that made a huge difference for some reason.

3. I am a young lawyer at an LA law firm and somewhat worry that the blue may be too loud. I don't drive around with anyone from work that often, and nobody usually sees me park, so this probably isn't a huge issue.

4. If I was to lease this car, I would get the LBB in a heartbeat. However, I am buying it and plan on keeping it forever. I am a little worried that I'll get sick of the LBB.

5. I've only seen both colors in the middle of the day in the sunlight. I'm told the MG looks better in the morning and at dusk, while the LBB looks best in the afternoon.

With all these things in mind, if you have any general comments on any of my thoughts, I'd love to hear em! I'm having a hard time deciding. If you've seen both in person, what are your thoughts? Thanks very much.
This is my $.02 FWIW:

From your post, it seems to me that LBB is not a color you loved, but rather one you appreciated more the second time around.

My advice is: if you're not passionate about the color to begin with, don't get it.

I'm a blue-a-holic, so I love all shades of blue, except perhaps Lapis Blue. So for me, I had little to no doubt I wanted LBB, and even then, I was a bit concerned about the attention, etc..........until I saw a X5M in town in LBB that forces me to stare at it in awe every time I see it. That sealed the deal for me-- attention be damned.

If, however, you don't feel that way about blue, I would go mineral grey. I had a X6 in space grey that I blacked out and I loved it for the 3 1/2 years I owned it. It looked aggressive and had a great presence. The M2 in MG will have a more masculine, yet understated presence than it would in LBB.........and since you're driving in LA, that may not be a bad thing. The mineral grey is a terrific color from what I've seen in videos. If LBB wasn't available or if I liked but didn't love the LBB, MG would hands down be my choice.

You're a young attorney and chances are you're going to have plenty of chances to purchase plenty of other great cars. When you find one in a loud color that you actually love, don't be afraid to pull the trigger.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2017, 09:01 PM   #37
OSA_BMW
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 in waiting

MG

Can go wrong with either....

I changed my order from LBB to MG.

Both look amazing in different ways but ask yourself how much attention you want with the car. I don't want as much which made my decision easy...MG. Plus I think with CF parts or Xpel stealth you can take MG to the next level.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2017, 10:29 PM   #38
RAM_F30_F87
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB 6MT; 2012 328i 6MT

Garage List
Whatever you choose, I suggest getting black kidney grills which really make the M2 stand out as bad ass.
LBB is a chameleon color changing with the light and shading. I really don't see the green mentioned.
https://www.facebook.com/KMGDetailin...0132185162161/
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2017, 11:45 PM   #39
jayg80
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

I would go with MG if I was unsure about LBB. I went with LBB after seeing an M2 in that color for 1 second. I knew I had to have it although our 2nd car is an Estoril Blue 335 and my next one will be a LSB M3 so I do love blue cars.

Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2017, 11:47 PM   #40
EstorilM
Cars, beer, hiking
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Long Beach blue. I was on the fence too and don't regret it at all. Looks even better in person!
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2017, 12:53 AM   #41
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

MG, but I am totally biased. Here's why I love it. When I drive it, it turns heads. I get thumbs up and comments all the time. However, when I park it, it just sort of fades into the parking lot and blends in. I love that! I never worry about someone trying to break into it, steal it, or some jealous punk vandalizing it because it just blends and disappears. But on the road, for whatever reason, it grabs attention and stands out in a good way. Not in a "look at me overcompensating for my tiny schlong in my lime green Lambo" sort of way. LBB is like the super hot, kinda slutty, chick in a short mini skirt and crop top. MG is the super hot, professional business woman. Both hot, both stop traffic, but in very different ways.
Appreciate 3
Blurbo311197.00
ORIGIN M.3160.50
jz5203.00
      08-05-2017, 01:34 AM   #42
wanofakind01
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '17 BMW M2 6MT, '16 BMW X1

Was in the same boat a couple months ago with the same thought process, but between BSM And LBB. AW and MG weren't even options as my DD C300 is white and my previous m235 was MG. I'm 31 and plan to keep the m2 for at least 5 years (I've been switching cars every year or two now).

Went with BSM as I was never in love with LBB, and I couldn't picture myself liking LBB in the long run. My MG m235 was blacked out with black grills, matte black VMR 710s, matte splitter and diffuser, cf parts and tint. It definitely made me smile very time I saw it. IMO the only thing against MG for m2 is the single option interior. My m235 had the coral red interior, so it accented really well with the contrast.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2017, 01:39 AM   #43
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

You're a young attorney in L.A. and the car will be your daily driver. That must inevitably be part of the equation for your decision process.

Ask yourself: may LBB get you more divisive comments or thoughts (including the positive and negative 'behind-your-back' rap) from conservative minded clients and colleagues than MG ? If you think that there's a risk, get the safe option by wearing a more business-oriented colored 'suit' that won't go out in style after some time.

Colors can definitely 'whisper' or 'shout'. To me MG is the warmer side of cool. A more mature, well-balanced dose of 'stealth mode' for a powerful car. Zero regrets and no divisive comments.

08-05-2017, 02:17 AM   #44
DoggieHowser
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F87 Pure F20 125i MSport 2017

I would have chosen MG first but my friend ordered his first in MG. So I went with LBB

LBB is a bugger to keep clean. The MG stealth means it hides the usual muck very easily. I kinda miss that.

MG is also awesome with CF parts - it complements the CF weave so well

LBB with CF can look good but it's a tough balance.

But after having the LBB I won't have it any other way. The blue accentuates the lines of the M2 so well and pulls it so well together that it still catches my breath each time.

Ps I can't be sure about this but I suspect the LBB paint seems thinner. Picked up 3 stone chips in the first 4 days alone. Even before I could get my XPEL done!! And while I was following all the running in recommendations <4000rpm and 100kmh

My wife's Estoril Blue 125 is still pretty pristine after 2 months of daily driving. Including highways
Appreciate 0