BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Will this Make you think twice about M2?

09-20-2015, 07:34 PM   #1
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S3

Garage List
Will this Make you think twice about M2?

I dont want to turn this into another M2 vs thread...that gets stupid really fast.
I just want to know will a base MSRP of a GT350 @$48,695 with destination really make you consider it over the M2. It sure as hell makes one strong case! It really really has my attention!

Its been discussed before and beaten up to death but now that the shelby pricing is official and at the eve of the M2 reveal, was this a good strategy by the blue oval team? I mean you get performance even superior to the M4 for much less (be it you can snag one without a delaer gouging the MSRP). The M2 price is still unknown. Will this make BMW think twice about the pricing?? Or will it remain in the 50k range...

All I know is we are truly blessed with and era where amazing cars are available for us to pick and choose at a dawn of the electric era at full swing, this may be the last hooorah...

Just want to know what you guys think?
Attached Images

09-20-2015, 07:55 PM   #2
den525
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

Completely different market. Major difference is the size of the car!! M3/M4 competitor rather than M2
Appreciate 2
      09-20-2015, 08:05 PM   #3
PackPride85
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

That also doesn't include the gas tax which makes it a solid 50k starting, or the insane markup you're going to see on it all next year.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2015, 08:40 PM   #4
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by den525 View Post
Completely different market. Major difference is the size of the car!! M3/M4 competitor rather than M2
The size I understand, but sometimes what the car can deliver at the price point is what makes you raise your eyebrows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackPride85 View Post
That also doesn't include the gas tax which makes it a solid 50k starting, or the insane markup you're going to see on it all next year.
Didnt think about the gas guzzler tax! Very good point. And I'm afraid were going to see markups on both of these cars Gt350 and the M2.

Ford dealers are notorious for marking the car 10k plus with anything SHELBY attached to it. BMW will attempt to treat the M2 as the 1M and try to sell the limited numbers card...
      09-20-2015, 08:49 PM   #5
Die ///M Rakete
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 ZCP 6MT

On paper many cars seem impressive. Most of us here agree that numbers alone tell only part of the story.

What this Mustang, Camaro or Corvette fail to bring to the table is the quality of build and feel of the wheel that a BMW M car posses in spades.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2015, 08:57 PM   #6
jstnstr
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 M340xi

I would be all over it if they weren't going to mark it up like crazy. Flat plane crank V8 with 500 naturally aspirated horsepower that revs to 8300 rpm? Yes please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Die ///M Rakete View Post
On paper many cars seem impressive. Most of us here agree that numbers alone tell only part of the story.

What this Mustang, Camaro or Corvette fail to bring to the table is the quality of build and feel of the wheel that a BMW M car posses in spades.
I agree entirely. But what BMW fails to bring to the table is natural aspiration and a V8!

(since the E92 M3 at least)

| Previous: 18 M3 ZCP | 17 M3 6MT | 15 M235i |
Appreciate 2
      09-20-2015, 09:19 PM   #7
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Die ///M Rakete View Post

I cant argue the build feel or quality interior for that matter. BUT, I'm not going to jump at this idea of how wonderful and quality the M2 interior is or will be. My wifes 228i m sport feels very plastic and LOTS of it. The door panels are hard as a rock (for BMW to keep the M2 costs down, dont think you will get something special and more upscale). Spy shots already confirm the seats are the same as in the 2er.

Looks will be subjective to the buyer. Dynamic feel BMW always kicks ass but to say it will feel better and drive better then a GT350 well well have to wait until both cars are available to be reviewed and make that verdict. Yes the GT350 is still a mustang but the M3 is still a 3 series and the M2 is still a 2 series in the beginning. All Im saying the GT350 is making a solid case for itself and the motor with all the technology put in it will be a good option for buyers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstnstr View Post
I would be all over it if they weren't going to mark it up like crazy. Flat plane crank V8 with 500 naturally aspirated horsepower that revs to 8300 rpm? Yes please.
Its why I presented the question because cars like this are not going to be available for very long. That 5.2L may be worth it alone.
      09-20-2015, 09:22 PM   #8
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

I agree entirely. But what BMW fails to bring to the table is natural aspiration and a V8!

THIS^
      09-20-2015, 09:34 PM   #9
Twix
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 e91

Garage List
As a former Mustang owner, and having nothing but Ford products for 20 something years, I can say "No." A solid "no". Ford products don't have the build quality or the solid chassis that BMW and few other companies can offer. One of the first things I noticed with my BMW was the seam welded hatch area. Find me a Ford with a seam welded anything. Not that seam welding makes a huge difference on the daily commute, but still matters to me. It's the little things.
2002 Land Rover Discovery II - 3" lift & 33s
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2015, 09:37 PM   #10
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twix View Post
As a former Mustang owner, and having nothing but Ford products for 20 something years, I can say "No." A solid "no". Ford products don't have the build quality or the solid chassis that BMW and few other companies can offer. One of the first things I noticed with my BMW was the seam welded hatch area. Find me a Ford with a seam welded anything. Not that seam welding makes a huge difference on the daily commute, but still matters to me. It's the little things.
I cant argue with one thing you just said. I have been a 4 time mustang owner and a 15 year employee at Ford and I can say for a fact the engineering @ BMW is better. I own BMW's for a reason
      09-20-2015, 09:48 PM   #11
blefevre
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 Track Car, (M2 sold)

I've been following the GT350 closely. If there weren't 10k markups on the cars I would be ordering one right away. But I am the type of buyer that doesn't care about creature comforts. It's all about the driving experience and uniqueness of the car for me and only the M2 and GT350 really fall into that category at the price point. If the M2 falls through for me hopefully the base GT350 will be available at MSRP by then. Next year will be fun either way
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2015, 10:10 PM   #12
Denk
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5M

Whoa Nelly! She's a big horse...a beauty though.
Appreciate 1
      09-20-2015, 10:15 PM   #13
Die ///M Rakete
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 ZCP 6MT

Quote:

Lol...can't argue with that
Appreciate 1
      09-20-2015, 10:36 PM   #14
gtr
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 CTR

The M2 better be price below $50k. This will be a tough crowd of cars at around the $50,000 price point. CLA45, GT350,TTS,c450amg with upcoming M2, RS3, golf 400R. Can't wait..
Appreciate 1
      09-20-2015, 10:42 PM   #15
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtr View Post
The M2 better be price below $50k. This will be a tough crowd of cars at around the $50,000 price point. CLA45, GT350,TTS,c450amg with upcoming M2, RS3, golf 400R. Can't wait..
Such a beautiful plethora of cars were blessed with being able to choose from. I say keep em coming this is a beautiful thing for all of us enthusiasts.
      09-20-2015, 11:55 PM   #16
Spook410
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Infiniti EX35

I think I would be laughing like a fool every time I drove the GT350. I would go out late at night and take a drive just to listen to the engine. I would probably get incarcerated with my only defense being 'the V8 made me do it'.

So I asked the largest local dealer. They will be auctioning off the few they get to the highest bidder. Umm.. sure.. yea OK. Good luck and all that.

So it's back to BMW and tempered optimism over the M2.
Appreciate 3
      09-21-2015, 12:06 AM   #17
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spook410
I think I would be laughing like a fool every time I drove the GT350. I would go out late at night and take a drive just to listen to the engine. I would probably get incarcerated with my only defense being 'the V8 made me do it'.

So I asked the largest local dealer. They will be auctioning off the few they get to the highest bidder. Umm.. sure.. yea OK. Good luck and all that.

So it's back to BMW and tempered optimism over the M2.
And I can lease a BMW and wheel n deal because they always discount cars. Can't beat that
      09-21-2015, 05:50 AM   #18
Black Gold
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

From what I inderstand the gt350 is extremely limited in 2015, some sort of anniversary year for ford

I beleive that 2016 and beyond will be much easier.

I'm definitely intrigued by the car though seems like the 350 is great and the 350r is amazing.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2015, 06:29 AM   #19
Bohemoth
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M235i

I just don't see the M2 as a superior quality car, I feel like going from my 3 series coupe to my M235I I've lost the quality feel. It feels like a 1 series tbh.

I've had the 2 series a year now and its the feeling like I've stepped down the way that's making me consider other cars already, not performance though. Being in the UK a V8 is rare so I was looking at mustangs last week mustangs are extremely rare here!

ill maybe see the M2 and change my mind but yeah these cars make me consider buying one for the exclusivity and the experience of a 5.0 V8.

we wont get the Shelby though
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2015, 09:33 AM   #20
allthatisntnow
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C, 991 C2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bohemoth View Post
I just don't see the M2 as a superior quality car, I feel like going from my 3 series coupe to my M235I I've lost the quality feel. It feels like a 1 series tbh.

I've had the 2 series a year now and its the feeling like I've stepped down the way that's making me consider other cars already, not performance though. Being in the UK a V8 is rare so I was looking at mustangs last week mustangs are extremely rare here!

ill maybe see the M2 and change my mind but yeah these cars make me consider buying one for the exclusivity and the experience of a 5.0 V8.

The 3 series and 2 series are practically identical inside. I have a 330d and a 235i and you could swap the interiors and not notice a thing. Its only the Ms where you can spec higher quality leather; leather dash etc that things start getting plusher.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2015, 10:08 AM   #21
arsenalrocks
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: need a car, man

In March I was offered the chance to get the dealer's first allocation of gt350 at msrp with no admin fee, couldn't pass that up so it was gt350 for me.
Drove the m235i it was a great fun car, but the 5.2 FPC will be something very very unique.
Appreciate 1
      09-21-2015, 12:12 PM   #22
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by allthatisntnow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bohemoth View Post

The 3 series and 2 series are practically identical inside. I have a 330d and a 235i and you could swap the interiors and not notice a thing. Its only the Ms where you can spec higher quality leather; leather dash etc that things start getting plusher.
That's sort of where're I'm getting at . Even comparing the the 2er to the mustang it's still very plasticky in comparison between the the two. Neither is really more luxurious then the other.
Functions wise: I pick any BMW. Sync just blows, it's horrendous to use. I drive to me is light years ahead.
Other then that a 2 series offers nothing more in terms of function or creature comfort that sets it that much apart.

The 2 series does pull off the upper scale look better, it's BMW and they just know how to accomplish that. The mustang is sort of Spartan and race car layout so to speak. Buttons all over the place. Sometimes less is more.

In conclusion it's the oval vs the roundel in the end and everyone will pick the roundel in terms of refinement and luxury. Why? Well BMW is suppose to be a superior luxury brand even though a 2 series is an entry level car in the U.S. and most people's "self worth" and "feel good" about myself because I'm seen in a BMW will automatically go through the the roof and they'll always pick the BMW even if in some cases it's not the better car.