BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Should BMW launch the F87 M2 base version in a (more) vivid color ?

View Poll Results: Should BMW launch the F87 M2 base version in a (more) vivid color ?
Yes 168 86.60%
No 26 13.40%
Voters: 194. You may not vote on this poll

05-23-2015, 04:30 AM   #89
Hazey82
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26
We may see an M2 model in Golf Yellow.
Please don't. Would stick out like dogs balls and I can't see it ageing very well
Get rid of LBB and give the M2 it's own unique colours not shared with other models. Blue, red/orange, purple etc
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2015, 06:32 AM   #90
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srac View Post
This is Golf Yellow right?
Yes.

It's also quoted in the text of the first post (that apparently virtually none of the haters in that thread has read).
      05-23-2015, 07:18 AM   #91
Srac
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019MY F82 M4 CP SO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Yes.

It's also quoted in the text of the first post (that apparently virtually none of the haters in that thread has read).
Douh! I actually searched for "color" with Ctrl+F and didn't find anything
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2015, 08:18 AM   #92
dmboone25
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2024 Golf R / 2022 718 Spyder

Garage List
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
2007 328i  [10.00]
Quote:
Yes.

Not crazy about that to yellow but it's at least bright and different. It would be a nice other option over the LBB for those who want something more flashy.
      05-23-2015, 10:23 AM   #93
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srac View Post
Douh! I actually searched for "color" with Ctrl+F and didn't find anything
"And the sheer self-confidence and sporting prowess of the BMW 3.0 CSL Hommage are perfectly summed up in the original colour of its spiritual predecessor – Golf Yellow."
(http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...88&postcount=1)
      05-23-2015, 11:25 AM   #94
jcardenasmzl
Private
Rep
Drives: VW GTI '12

It's weird that there where red test mules and Scott said something about seeing a DG M2 and both of those colors are not going to be available. I was really hoping for the color palette of the X5/X6 M especially because of colors like Carbon Black, DG, Melbourne Red, LBB and Silverstone but it is what it is. I guess for me it's between AW and MG.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2015, 02:15 PM   #95
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcardenasmzl View Post
It's weird that there where red test mules and Scott said something about seeing a DG M2 and both of those colors are not going to be available. I was really hoping for the color palette of the X5/X6 M especially because of colors like Carbon Black, DG, Melbourne Red, LBB and Silverstone but it is what it is. I guess for me it's between AW and MG.
The car I saw was actually Mineral Grey as it was under the artificial light in the studio I saw it roll into that added extra light to the color.
      05-23-2015, 02:21 PM   #96
clubsport
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: LBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
We may see an M2 model in Golf Yellow.

Bring it !

Carbon roof and side mirror covers. Darker gray (but not black) wheels. Cloth/Alcantara interior. Manual seats (as an available option) Steel Brakes.
Appreciate 1
      05-23-2015, 04:03 PM   #97
Adem1534
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
The car I saw was actually Mineral Grey as it was under the artificial light in the studio I saw it roll into that added extra light to the color.
Well... How'd it look in MG?
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2015, 05:55 PM   #98
dmboone25
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
2007 328i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcardenasmzl View Post
As for the red mules, many of the original 235 mules were red, so maybe they just had quite a few of those laying around ?

It would be nice if BMW opened up the color vault more for this car.
      05-23-2015, 07:09 PM   #99
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmboone25 View Post
It would be nice if BMW opened up the color vault more for this car.
Absolutely.

True that the current poll may be on a micro scale within this 2addicts bubble. However, the voters are BMW enthusiasts, aficionados that include potential M2 customers.

The trend so far (87 out of 100 voters voted pro a more vivid color as M2 launch color) may be a tell-tale sign of what future car reviews will likely say about the available color choice: a missed opportunity.

What was/is the marketing department thinking ? I mean, this concerns the launch of a brand new ///M car which has been meticulously developed over the past few years - no rush job like the 1M. And all they manage to come up with is monochrome and a cocktail blue ?

Yes, 'the car will speak for itself', but grab that chance to give it a little extra push by presenting it in a more vivid color. Let it stand out on the cover of numerous car magazines worldwide.

Color matters. It's a powerful form of communication, capable of being a key factor in instant recognition. For example, we all know that Valencia Orange was an eye-catcher on/inside car magazines. It drew, and keeps drawing, attention to the 1M. Unlike monochrome, it's instantly recognizable, allowing to quickly identify the car. And that's also how the car will go down in car history books.

On a practical level. November 2015 (production) is still quite some time away. Undoubtedly, marketing materials, manuals and ordering/car configurators can still be modified. And shipping an additional cargo of vivid color paint to the Leipzig factory shouldn't be a problem either, isn't it ?
      05-23-2015, 10:17 PM   #100
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Absolutely.

True that the current poll may be on a micro scale within this 2addicts bubble. However, the voters are BMW enthusiasts, aficionados that include potential M2 customers.

The trend so far (87 out of 100 voters voted pro a more vivid color as M2 launch color) may be a tell-tale sign of what future car reviews will likely say about the available color choice: a missed opportunity.

What was/is the marketing department thinking ? I mean, this concerns the launch of a brand new ///M car which has been meticulously developed over the past few years - no rush job like the 1M. And all they manage to come up with is monochrome and a cocktail blue ?

Yes, 'the car will speak for itself', but grab that chance to give it a little extra push by presenting it in a more vivid color. Let it stand out on the cover of numerous car magazines worldwide.

Color matters. It's a powerful form of communication, capable of being a key factor in instant recognition. For example, we all know that Valencia Orange was an eye-catcher on/inside car magazines. It drew, and keeps drawing, attention to the 1M. Unlike monochrome, it's instantly recognizable, allowing to quickly identify the car. And that's also how the car will go down in car history books.

On a practical level. November 2015 (production) is still quite some time away. Undoubtedly, marketing materials, manuals and ordering/car configurators can still be modified. And shipping an additional cargo of vivid color paint to the Leipzig factory shouldn't be a problem either, isn't it ?
Let's set a few things straight. I call BS on lack of color choices on the 1M being due to short time frame. The cars go down the line the exact same way as a 128i and 135i. Surely it's not that much work to add at least the same colors as those cars if BMW felt like it.

Secondly, Valencia Orange is hardly a color that absolutely everyone will love. I know my parents wouldn't touch it with a 10ft pole. I didn't follow the launch of the 1M closely, but were you guys spending this much time talking about the lack of color choices on the 1M?

Just because you aren't a fan of this so called cocktail blue is one thing. But I don't see how marketing and all that other stuff has anything to do with how good the car will be. Just like how it's irrelevant that you can get even LESS colors with the 1M.

My 2 cents
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2015, 11:05 PM   #101
IS3andME
Major
Rep
Drives: Lexus IS300

Quote:
Mind you. Matchbox released the 1M die cast model also in blue (apart from orange).
http://lamleydlm.blogspot.be/2014/07...bmw-1m-in.html

Attachment 1213106
Are you trying to allude that on Bimmerpost, Long Beach Blue will be known as Matchbox Blue?
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2015, 11:10 PM   #102
vantagesc
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

I was at the track today. Red M235i, PY and YMB M4s, Dakar yellow e36 m3. All really great colors. And we get monochrome for the M2. Ugh.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2015, 11:14 PM   #103
dmboone25
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
2007 328i  [10.00]
Quote:
Absolutely.

Agreed. I don't see any reason BMW has NOT to put numerous, hot colors on the plate for this car. You want to make ///M more accessible ? Young people right ? Well...young folks are more likely to have a hot color on their hot M car in my opinion.

And since BMW is really an austere brand, this might be a chance for them to let their respective hair down a bit, yes ? Only a few thousand of these cars are going to be made, and you have the colors, so why not ?

The choices on the 235 are shitty too - you can get Valenica Orange on a 228, but not on a 235 ? Some really dumb stuff going on there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
Let's set a few things straight. I call BS on lack of color choices on the 1M being due to short time frame. The cars go down the line the exact same way as a 128i and 135i. Surely it's not that much work to add at least the same colors as those cars if BMW felt like it.

Secondly, Valencia Orange is hardly a color that absolutely everyone will love. I know my parents wouldn't touch it with a 10ft pole. I didn't follow the launch of the 1M closely, but were you guys spending this much time talking about the lack of color choices on the 1M?

Just because you aren't a fan of this so called cocktail blue is one thing. But I don't see how marketing and all that other stuff has anything to do with how good the car will be. Just like how it's irrelevant that you can get even LESS colors with the 1M.

My 2 cents
Well at least VO was something different. All cars look nice in white or black or gray - and those types of choices are to be expected. 1M, M2 or whatever car you're talking about.

Additionally, the Blue offering for the M2 is much too soft in my opinion. It makes me think of some old bastard driving 35 in the right lane. Just my opinion.

The 1M and M2 couldn't be more different from a "lead into" point of view. People were hoping, begging, pleading with BMW to make the 1M. Hell, they even flew 10 people over to see the car in production form before it was officially unveiled to the world. M3 Adjuster was one of the lucky guys who got to go. They had the fenders stapled on at first - they didn't even bother with fancy camo in the beginning. Aka, no one gave a shit about color, just that they decided to make it.

The M2 is trying to use the same formula but it is inherently different. It is purpose built. The 1M isn't. It's made to be an M car from the outset. The 1M was made into an M car on a short schedule. The 1M, to BMW's surprise I think, worked really well. They're hoping it's the same for the M2, and I'm sure it will be - mainly because they're going to artificially keep demand high and the available quantity low.

In all honesty,They can't really screw this up. The car is an M3 from the belt line down, and I think we are all in agreement that the F80 is a great performance machine. I'm not talking about the endless debates on turbo vs NA or fun factor, just the performance. The M2 will be fine from that standpoint. We argue and debate on this forum because we all care a lot about the most minute details, but I think the general consensus is that BMW will make a great little M car.

The point of this thread is that color can mean a lot more to the non traditional BMW driver than they might have known. Aka, people who like mustangs or Cameros or STIs...people who are looking to move up the food chain so to speak and might still want something other than white or black or old balls blue.

Last edited by dmboone25; 05-24-2015 at 10:03 AM..
Appreciate 1
      05-23-2015, 11:57 PM   #104
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

I was at Bimmerfest and saw an X5 with Long Beach Blue it's plenty vivid. Didn't like it but then I'm in the minority. It looks Turqoisey. I might have to go back to Alpineweiss III if I go with M2.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2015, 04:52 AM   #105
metrickid
Dinosaur supervisor
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: E91 318d

So exactly the same colors as the track edition then if we tweak the blue a bit?

Appreciate 0
      05-24-2015, 02:53 PM   #106
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
But I happen to like LBB just as much. I think you're speculating that LBB won't be an important ///M color in the future too, just saying.
Either way, I'm happy with LBB so I have nothing to complain about. Sucks to be you guys though
Fair enough. We can agree to disagree.

As you know, back in 2014 BMW introduced Long Beach Blue as launch color for the F85 X5 M and F86 X6 M.

Apart from making subjective statements about LBB's appeal and whether it should be preferred over a (more) vivid color (de gustibus et coloribus non est disputandum ...but we do it anyway ), do you applaud BMW's decision to 'recycle' LBB as launch color for the F87 M2 base version (brand new model, no LCI or 2.0) ?

According to you, wouldn't it be wiser to choose a different launch color for the entry-level ///M (as long as the 1er hatch has no ///M yet), targeted to attract a younger generation than the X5 M and X6 M target public ?

Some folks at BMW must be really in love with LBB (or they got too much LBB paint in stock ).
      05-24-2015, 05:53 PM   #107
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3PedalMINI
Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI View Post
not sure how you can call the M3/M4 "bloated" when they weigh less than or the same as your bulky M235.

denial is defeat.
buddy They are roughly the same weight (i agree the 235 is heavy)... and by bloated I meant larger then all the previous gens and less connected. There is a reason im doing the 235 over an M4, I can easily afford a m4 and have extensively test driven both the m4-235i...the 235 is EXACTLY what I want in a car. (i currently have a 228i)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikcachu View Post
you are hilarious... you think you are always right and whatever you have or say it's the best ever.... like the 135is and then the 1M and so on

I'm not talking any smack... i think the M3/M4 is a great car and the M2 will be too.... in any case the one talking smack, is you of everything unless it's what you currently drive....
Also I didn't add any badges ... BMW did... M235 is not an M car it's an M perf vehicle....nothing less nothing more

I'm really feel sad for you, really not sure why you are always so defensive like if you had something to prove, maybe some day you'll change.... Anyway had my sunday laugh fix for today
Won't waste my time reading/replying to your narrow minded opinions... :
LOL! +1 jeez...like i said there is a reason im doing a 235 over an m4 and gave up my #1 m2 position at the dealer. I didnt put the badges on, BMW chose to, do i agree? NO i dont but it is what it is. Its a 235is as we all know it should have been called, it was just BMW trying to milk the brand (and unfortunately diluting it) Everyone in the car scene/enthusiast scene knows that its not an m2 and thats ok...Unfortunately 99% of the population doesnt have a F&#^@ clue as to what AMG-///M & RS even means let alone the difference between an x28 & 35...so seriously who cares.

Im debadging my 235i anyway. so the only thing that will say ///M on it is the brakes-the 405m rims i just ordered and the steering wheel. what I cant debadge is the ///M splash screen on the dash/Nav Screen when it boots up. Ohh well I know its not a true ///M car and thats all that matters. Go troll in the m3/m4 threads, or is it because your jealous you dont have one that your over here bashing the 235i?

Denial is Defeat!
lol. nobody cares. this forum is about the M2 not the boring "M"235. the more you write...the worse it seems.

Jealous of the M235? LOL. no thanks...I've driven it and it pretty much sucks. would never want one..
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2015, 06:14 PM   #108
Adem1534
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M2

Quote:
lol. nobody cares. this forum is about the M2 not the boring "M"235. the more you write...the worse it seems.

Jealous of the M235? LOL. no thanks...I've driven it and it pretty much sucks. would never want one..
I think we should all chill out about this because it doesn't matter
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2015, 06:26 PM   #109
Srac
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019MY F82 M4 CP SO

Quote:

That ninja edit though. Just shows how immature you are by making up bullshit on the fly without thinking.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2015, 06:39 PM   #110
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
the M235 is NOT an M model.
Quote:
To be fair, no one in this thread said anything about the M235i being an M car or not. You kind of brought that up on your own.
Quote:
Gentlemen, as someone said: "Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid." Otherwise said, each individual should be allowed to pursue his or her strengths; in addition, a weakness in some area should not induce feelings of debilitating inferiority.

For more M235i related discussions about ///M existentialism, 16 ///M badges and tree-climbing capabilities of fish, feel free to post in this dedicated thread: http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1105293

Thank you.