THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Passenger side windshield wiper, 2017 M240i

04-17-2017, 05:58 PM   #1
808@702
8th BMW, 520th Surfboard
Rep
Drives: My girlfriends crazy!

Passenger side windshield wiper, 2017 M240i

About a month ago I noticed that the passenger side wiper outer tip at lower right corner of the windshield as seen from the inside seemed to "jump" when reaching the very bottom of its cycle making an annoying noise. I called the dealer and my SA said it sounded like there was some sort of soil or tree sap on the face of the glass. I check and didn't see anything obvious so I clay barred the entire windshield just to see. It went away for a short while but has come back. My question is has anyone else experienced this and what fixed it?
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2017, 06:43 PM   #2
xantdieselx
Kingslayer
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 23' M3 Base

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808@702 View Post
About a month ago I noticed that the passenger side wiper outer tip at lower right corner of the windshield as seen from the inside seemed to "jump" when reaching the very bottom of its cycle making an annoying noise. I called the dealer and my SA said it sounded like there was some sort of soil or tree sap on the face of the glass. I check and didn't see anything obvious so I clay barred the entire windshield just to see. It went away for a short while but has come back. My question is has anyone else experienced this and what fixed it?
Try cleaning your wiper blades. Take some washer fluid on an old microfiber and clean them. It should take care of it. Also use some good window cleaner (Sprayway etc) and use some fine steel wool on your glass. Do both and you should be good to go.

Previous Cars: 2008' 135i, 2010' 328i, 2013' 328i, 2016' M235i, 2017' X1, 2019' M240i
Current Cars: 2019' X3, 2021' M3 Comp
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2017, 07:43 PM   #3
808@702
8th BMW, 520th Surfboard
Rep
Drives: My girlfriends crazy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xantdieselx View Post
Try cleaning your wiper blades. Take some washer fluid on an old microfiber and clean them. It should take care of it. Also use some good window cleaner (Sprayway etc) and use some fine steel wool on your glass. Do both and you should be good to go.
Gonna try it thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2017, 08:59 AM   #4
xantdieselx
Kingslayer
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 23' M3 Base

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by xantdieselx View Post
Gonna try it thanks!

Previous Cars: 2008' 135i, 2010' 328i, 2013' 328i, 2016' M235i, 2017' X1, 2019' M240i
Current Cars: 2019' X3, 2021' M3 Comp
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2017, 12:36 PM   #5
mdputnam
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i & M235i Convertibles

The factory service warranty includes windshield wiper blades:

"Additional specific items that need replacement due to normal wear and tear and that are not covered by the original New Vehicle Limited Warranty—such as brake pads, brake rotors, and wiper blade inserts—are included provided wear and tear exceeds BMW wear limits."

My dealership (San Diego BMW) will replace them if you tell them that the wiper blades have exceeded BMW wear limits. Actually, if you just tell them they need replacing they will do it at no cost to you.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2017, 05:11 PM   #6
bimmerfile
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X2 F39

Quote:
Sorry I didn't see this earlier, else I would have responded sooner.
I had the EXACT same issue about a year ago when my 2016 M235xi was only 6 months old. It first occurred on a Friday afternoon when we had some on and off spring rainfall and it happened every time I turned the wipers on the Saturday and the Sunday. I figured it had to be the wiper motor or something as nothing had happened to the vehicle, or wipers or window to cause the issue, which became annoying pretty quickly.
By the 3rd day (Sunday) I decided I better make an appt with BMW Service Monday, but when we were going out on Sunday afternoon and I turned the wipers on, the issue went away.
I decided holding off going to BMW 'cause if they couldn't reproduce it consistently, I was wasting their time and mine.
1 year later and I've never had it again.
So it could go away by itself, but I'm pretty sure that it ain't the wipers or the window or anything you can do about it, so if it doesn't go away by itself (like mine), take it to your dealer.
      04-27-2017, 01:56 AM   #7
omera60
First Lieutenant
Turkey
Rep
Drives: 218i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfile View Post
Sorry I didn't see this earlier, else I would have responded sooner.
I had the EXACT same issue about a year ago when my 2016 M235xi was only 6 months old. It first occurred on a Friday afternoon when we had some on and off spring rainfall and it happened every time I turned the wipers on the Saturday and the Sunday. I figured it had to be the wiper motor or something as nothing had happened to the vehicle, or wipers or window to cause the issue, which became annoying pretty quickly.
By the 3rd day (Sunday) I decided I better make an appt with BMW Service Monday, but when we were going out on Sunday afternoon and I turned the wipers on, the issue went away.
I decided holding off going to BMW 'cause if they couldn't reproduce it consistently, I was wasting their time and mine.
1 year later and I've never had it again.
So it could go away by itself, but I'm pretty sure that it ain't the wipers or the window or anything you can do about it, so if it doesn't go away by itself (like mine), take it to your dealer.
Somewhat similar issue on my 1974 450SL. I replaced them couple of months earlier they were working fine until one day (in a classic rally) They weren't wiping very good, I got out of the car and saw that the plastic part has been bent the posited direction it was wiping, correcting them and using the washer fluid and the wipers with short intervals solved my issue as they may become dry on hot/humid days or freeze in winter and that may damage the plastic part or just the plastic part may be running on a different direction like mine and unless there is any damage, it should work for you as well...
Appreciate 0