THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum M235i to M2

04-20-2017, 12:07 PM   #67
BarryJI
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 228i M Sport

I have been pretty determined to step up to an M2 in a couple of years but was a little disappointed in the test-drive. The car felt nose-heavy (an impression exacerbated by the numb steering feel) and I did not like the MT; the throw felt both long and notchy and I *really* disliked the imposed rev-matching. Don't get me wrong, it's a really capable car that is pretty fairly priced but I feel I now need to budget another $5K for the (superb) DCT because the bossy MT will drive me crazy and I am also not convinced that the suspension is livable with in a DD so I would probably put in the Dinan performance suspension, which will improve its manners without any sacrifice of driving feel or performance but will add another couple of thousand bucks.

2015 BMW 228i M Sport w/Track Handling Package
DAP | Lighting | Premium | Tech
DINANTRONICS Performance Tuner Stage 1 | DINAN Shockware | DINAN Free Flow Exhaust | DINAN Performance Spring Set + Ride Quality and Handling Kit
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2017, 12:42 PM   #68
weyland
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i

I prefer my M235i - the reasons: I had a long wait to even get a test drive in the M2 (6 months after ordering), by that point I was full of anticipation but it did not deliver the performance nor thrills that I expected of a £48k car in the UK. Simply put, my 10 year old Japanese Type R was pound for pound more exciting and I enjoyed the ride back home in that more.

I cancelled my order shortly afterwards and went in search of a different brand. Fast forward a few months and a very well known tuning house in the UK puts their own modified M235i up for sale for less than half the price of an M2. I drove it and loved it, bought it on the spot. It delivered the thrills for the right money and it drove better than the M2 due to the mods, and doesn't have rev matching nor active sound (and the interior is the same!).

Interestingly this company also had an M2 for sale, but as I know the guy who owns the company he told me to save my cash and get the M235i, as it was now better setup than the M2 and has more power.

I'm on the list for a M2 CS/CSL, but now the price of the M4 CS has been released in the UK i'll be cancelling that. There is no way the price difference will deliver enough thrills to get me out of the M235i. I'll enjoy this for now and then spend my money elsewhere in a few years.
Litchfield built M235i - Astoril blue, 6MT, Custom Akrapovic exhaust, AST 5100 suspension, Quaife differential, Eibach anti roll bars, Radtec intercooler, custom trimmed steering wheel, Litchfield remap
Appreciate 1
Viffermike1753.00
      04-21-2017, 08:14 AM   #69
MBimmer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F87 BSM M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by qnet View Post
I'm not that big of a fan of the alcantara but, I don't dislike it. I test drove a M2 and just drove it normally, and it didn't feel any different from my M235i, other than the brakes. The brakes are something I really noticed.

Did you have any mods on your M235i?
No mods. I like to keep my cars stock now and don't prefer to mess with tuning, etc. Just maybe some appearance things and m performance bits. Mods were in the subie days, but I feel these cars are solid from the factory.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2017, 08:18 AM   #70
MBimmer
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryJI View Post
I have been pretty determined to step up to an M2 in a couple of years but was a little disappointed in the test-drive. The car felt nose-heavy (an impression exacerbated by the numb steering feel) and I did not like the MT; the throw felt both long and notchy and I *really* disliked the imposed rev-matching. Don't get me wrong, it's a really capable car that is pretty fairly priced but I feel I now need to budget another $5K for the (superb) DCT because the bossy MT will drive me crazy and I am also not convinced that the suspension is livable with in a DD so I would probably put in the Dinan performance suspension, which will improve its manners without any sacrifice of driving feel or performance but will add another couple of thousand bucks.

My M235i M adaptive suspension must have been messed up. I actually feel my M2 drives smoother and more comfortable in comfort mode than my M235 in comfort...
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2017, 12:00 PM   #71
wdc330i
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '22 M440xi GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBimmer View Post
My M235i M adaptive suspension must have been messed up. I actually feel my M2 drives smoother and more comfortable in comfort mode than my M235 in comfort...
Non-runflats on both?
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2017, 06:50 PM   #72
MBimmer
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
Non-runflats on both?