THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum M235i to M2

02-10-2017, 07:28 AM   #23
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan_f22 View Post
...Most ppl will chose m2 over 240/235 simply to be part of the M club.....

Overall: If your leasing, the m2 is never going to happen for a good deal. If buying, a used pre-owned 235 is a great buy. For daily driving, weekend sprinting the 235/240 will meet all your needs. If you are going to spend 20+ days at a track per year, i would go with the m2 if you have no plans on modding suspension.
I think this is really all there is to it (joining the "M-club" or an iffy track day special). Who would be doing that much track time and not want to mod the suspension and brakes, not to mention the LSD, tires/wheels, etc. The cost to get a 235/240 just exactly how you want would bring it right about even with the factory options, and you would have true track-ready parts, without all the built in attempts at streetability.

And if you actually do take your M out on track, the maintenance and depreciation are going to erase the M resale-bonus that otherwise accrues if it just sits around like a show queen (would anybody here expect a heavily-tracked M3 to go past the warranty period w/o expensive problems?).

Really a testament to the 2 series in general, rather than a slam on the M2 - For a change they really built the whole series as a driver's car, so less differentiation for the M (like it used to be - a really serious factory track machine that will have limited applications, and mainly as a platform for true competition).
Appreciate 1
      02-10-2017, 11:02 AM   #24
caycep
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 228i

Garage List
2015 BMW 228i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
Really a testament to the 2 series in general, rather than a slam on the M2 - For a change they really built the whole series as a driver's car, so less differentiation for the M (like it used to be - a really serious factory track machine that will have limited applications, and mainly as a platform for true competition).
This! That I can have loads of fun in the base model 228i vs. the MB and Audi equivalents that are just meh at that price level, speaks volumes
Appreciate 1
Maynard3833.00
      02-11-2017, 10:33 PM   #25
qnet
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 Jeep Wrangler, 18 M2 LBB

Interesting thread. I still want an M2, but I really like my M235i a lot. I've had it almost a year and have really enjoyed it.

The thing with me is, I like aggressive cars, but I'm not as hard core as some. I've modded my M235I slightly with staggered MPSS, VMR wheels, Dinan springs, resonator delete, exhaust and intake. It sounds nice and rides how I like. Had I got an M2 I wouldn't have modded anything because the car has everything I did to my M235i, and more, straight from the factory(Nicer tires, rims, nice sounding exhaust, and aggressive suspension).

I'm single, with no dependents so I can pretty much do what I want but, I'm just not as anxious about getting a M2 as I was a year ago. Part of the reason is availability of course, and the fact that I really like my M235i. I did a HPDE last year and it was all I could handle. It was scary and very fun at times. It showed me how much I didn't know about driving on a track. I can't imagine how it would have been with a M2. I've heard the car makes it easier on novices like me, but who knows how different it may have been.

I'd still take an M2 if the right opportunity presents itself, but I'm not aggressively looking for one right now. I could sell my M235I, but that's a hard decision, which says a lot. I really like having a sunroof, and get a lot of compliments and stares. I don't mind the compliments, but the stares make me uncomfortable, though I know it's most-likely just another enthusiast checking the car out.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2017, 11:06 AM   #26
USA-RET
Captain
Rep
Drives: Estoril Blue M240i

FWIW, I could have bought either an M2 or the M240i. My dealer had the allocation to order me an M2 or the M240i. Not premium up-charge on the M2 either.

So, I loved the M2 body. Rear end flared, more aggressive front fascia. Heck, it's a true M car.

Watched the videos comparing the M240i and the M2. Ride in the M2 is rough. After watching a few videos, and the comments about extended driving or on rough roads, the M2 isn't the most practical (but hey, I can live with a little teeth rattling)......and it looks soooo cool. Gas mileage, not as good. Gas is cheap (for now), Insurance is higher (not that much higher), M2 is set up for the track and for caring canyon road @ speed. Wowser! BMW's return to the "Ultimate Driving Machine"

Then I looked at the M240i. Still a pretty nice looking sports coupe. Select-able rides, w/ comfort as a option. Performance, nearly as quick as a M2 in straight line (some videos show the two trading wins). Better gas mileage, lower insurance, and I do not track or have canyons to carve. $7K less to buy.

I test drove the M240i and as was blown away with its performance. After weighing pros and cons between the two cars, common sense prevailed and I went with a Estoril Blue M240i w/ most of the available options.

Yeah, I wish it was an M2, but for the appearance only. Most everything else the M2 brought to the table are unnecessary or unwanted (for me).

Just my perspective and certainly not a knock against anyone who went the M2 route. I still drool every time I see one. Who knows I may just buy one the next time around.
Appreciate 3
SCCThree813.00
Viffermike1753.00
      02-12-2017, 06:12 PM   #27
bryan_G01
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: like i stole it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by qnet View Post
Interesting thread. I still want an M2, but I really like my M235i a lot. I've had it almost a year and have really enjoyed it.

The thing with me is, I like aggressive cars, but I'm not as hard core as some. I've modded my M235I slightly with staggered MPSS, VMR wheels, Dinan springs, resonator delete, exhaust and intake. It sounds nice and rides how I like. Had I got an M2 I wouldn't have modded anything because the car has everything I did to my M235i, and more, straight from the factory(Nicer tires, rims, nice sounding exhaust, and aggressive suspension).

I'm single, with no dependents so I can pretty much do what I want but, I'm just not as anxious about getting a M2 as I was a year ago. Part of the reason is availability of course, and the fact that I really like my M235i. I did a HPDE last year and it was all I could handle. It was scary and very fun at times. It showed me how much I didn't know about driving on a track. I can't imagine how it would have been with a M2. I've heard the car makes it easier on novices like me, but who knows how different it may have been.

I'd still take an M2 if the right opportunity presents itself, but I'm not aggressively looking for one right now. I could sell my M235I, but that's a hard decision, which says a lot. I really like having a sunroof, and get a lot of compliments and stares. I don't mind the compliments, but the stares make me uncomfortable, though I know it's most-likely just another enthusiast checking the car out.

You do realize all you need is a DP and tune and your much faster than most m2's that are out there and close in the handling dept.

If you cant handle a HPDE, theres no reason for you to have an m2.
1997 M3 Sedan Auto Cosmo Black Metallic
2018 x3 m40 Auto Grey Metallic
Appreciate 1
Viffermike1753.00
      02-12-2017, 11:53 PM   #28
Outrun
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M235i xDrive

the only thing about the M2 that I would love to see on my M235 is the more aggressive body styling. Otherwise, I am completely content with my M235 in terms of performance, comfort, and quality.
2016 M235i xDrive - Estoril Blue - Coral Red - 35% ceramic tint - M Performance Exhaust w/ chrome tips - Dinan spring set (1/2 inch front 5/8 inch rear) with bump stops - JBSpeed paint matched spoiler - paint matched mirror caps - black kidney grille - BimmerTech backup and front-view camera retrofit
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2017, 07:51 AM   #29
MBimmer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F87 BSM M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by USA-RET View Post
FWIW, I could have bought either an M2 or the M240i. My dealer had the allocation to order me an M2 or the M240i. Not premium up-charge on the M2 either.

So, I loved the M2 body. Rear end flared, more aggressive front fascia. Heck, it's a true M car.

Watched the videos comparing the M240i and the M2. Ride in the M2 is rough. After watching a few videos, and the comments about extended driving or on rough roads, the M2 isn't the most practical (but hey, I can live with a little teeth rattling)......and it looks soooo cool. Gas mileage, not as good. Gas is cheap (for now), Insurance is higher (not that much higher), M2 is set up for the track and for caring canyon road @ speed. Wowser! BMW's return to the "Ultimate Driving Machine"

Then I looked at the M240i. Still a pretty nice looking sports coupe. Select-able rides, w/ comfort as a option. Performance, nearly as quick as a M2 in straight line (some videos show the two trading wins). Better gas mileage, lower insurance, and I do not track or have canyons to carve. $7K less to buy.

I test drove the M240i and as was blown away with its performance. After weighing pros and cons between the two cars, common sense prevailed and I went with a Estoril Blue M240i w/ most of the available options.

Yeah, I wish it was an M2, but for the appearance only. Most everything else the M2 brought to the table are unnecessary or unwanted (for me).

Just my perspective and certainly not a knock against anyone who went the M2 route. I still drool every time I see one. Who knows I may just buy one the next time around.
I would have to agree. I just like the M2 in the appearance department. I am completely satisfied with the M235i performance. I wouldn't want a rougher suspension.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2017, 07:56 AM   #30
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outrun
the only thing about the M2 that I would love to see on my M235 is the more aggressive body styling. Otherwise, I am completely content with my M235 in terms of performance, comfort, and quality.
Don't get me wrong I think the M2 is very sexy. That said I prefer the understated 235 styling for driving to the office every day. There are a LOT of nice $100k+ cars here but none of the very flashy variety. The red interior on my car is about as much "look at me" I can handle before being "that guy" at work.
Appreciate 1
bryan_G011164.50
      02-13-2017, 09:51 AM   #31
bryan_G01
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

i don't like the look of the m2 front bumper at all.

I would love to have the wide rear and the ability to run 18x10" tires tho.
Wide body kit on a 235 answers that problem.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2017, 10:11 AM   #32
gaijin
Mess Deck Commando
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Quote:

Final thoughts: That m2 CS will be a game changer with the s55, until then, i wouldn't get one.
This nails it. Until then I'll continue to enjoy my M235i.
      02-13-2017, 10:27 AM   #33
caycep
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 228i

Garage List
2015 BMW 228i  [0.00]
The one thing people haven't mentioned here,but has been brought up in some of the review articles - the ECU in the M2 is probably different than the m235/240, as well as the steering setup. Have people who've driven both noticed a difference in the aggressiveness of the nannies or the steering feel/feedback?
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2017, 01:42 PM   #34
qnet
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You do realize all you need is a DP and tune and your much faster than most m2's that are out there and close in the handling dept.

If you cant handle a HPDE, theres no reason for you to have an m2.
I said it was all I could handle, not that I couldn't handle it. I guess I shouldn't have worded it that way, my mistake. Having said that, I don't I agree with you. By your logic, anyone who couldn't handle a hpde has no reason to buy a high performance car.

I also know that the M235i can be modded to go faster than an m2, but its not all about speed. I personally like the look of the M2 better, with it's bigger tires, quad tailpipes and nice 19 inch rims straight from the factory.

While I enjoyed my time at the track during the hpde, and will most-likely go back to learn more; everyone doesn't buy nice performance cars just to go to the track or mod them. The cool thing about the M2, I wouldn't want to mod it, and if I wanted to take it to the track I could.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2017, 06:23 PM   #35
bryan_G01
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
By your logic, anyone who couldn't handle a hpde has no reason to buy a high performance car.
Correct, just because you can buy the car doesn't mean you know how to drive it.

Do you know how many ppl in their vettes and gtr's come to a HPDE and wreck, or are completely off line because they have no business in that car?

Concentrate on being a better driver before you get a high performance car. Thats basic, 101 novice advice.

https://www.facebook.com/bryanduncan...1842566243016/

https://www.facebook.com/bryanduncan...1836608254070/
Appreciate 2
evilalien450.50
BM235iW97.00
      02-13-2017, 06:29 PM   #36
bryan_G01
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by caycep View Post
The one thing people haven't mentioned here,but has been brought up in some of the review articles - the ECU in the M2 is probably different than the m235/240, as well as the steering setup. Have people who've driven both noticed a difference in the aggressiveness of the nannies or the steering feel/feedback?
Steering felt just like the 235 in S+ mode, only difference is the suspension felt planted so you didnt have to work as hard.

Im pretty sure the ecu is the same, see photo.

They have different turbos, and some internal parts.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-13-2017, 08:46 PM   #37
qnet
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Correct, just because you can buy the car doesn't mean you know how to drive it.

Do you know how many ppl in their vettes and gtr's come to a HPDE and wreck, or are completely off line because they have no business in that car?

Concentrate on being a better driver before you get a high performance car. Thats basic, 101 novice advice.

https://www.facebook.com/bryanduncan...1842566243016/

https://www.facebook.com/bryanduncan...1836608254070/
That's a fair point, but my point was people buy high performance cars and never go to the track. That was my first HPDE, but I've had performance cars before that never seen the track, I just like the cars. I wanted to learn how it was to drive the car at it limits for once.

I'm sure they're people who wreck their high end cars at these events. A guy in my group, in a viper, got kicked off the track during one of our runs, I'm not sure what he did.

Looking back on it now, I wish I'd kept my 95 e36 m3 and turned it into a track car. It's just kind of nerve racking driving my new car during these events, even though it was incredibly fun at times.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2017, 09:17 PM   #38
bryan_G01
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

http://www.lasvegasnow.com/news/two-...egas/655210685

LAS VEGAS - A client and instructor died on Sunday in a Lamborghini crash at SpeedVegas. The incident happened around 1:26 p.m at 14200 S. Las Vegas Boulevard.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2017, 09:39 AM   #39
qnet
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
http://www.lasvegasnow.com/news/two-...egas/655210685

LAS VEGAS - A client and instructor died on Sunday in a Lamborghini crash at SpeedVegas. The incident happened around 1:26 p.m at 14200 S. Las Vegas Boulevard.
You're turning this into another discussion entirely. I get that you prefer the M235/240 and wouldn't make the switch, but others like myself would. There are different levels of performance car enthusiast, and it's not narrowed down to those who like to track their cars a lot.

The question the OP asked about was about switching cars as a daily driver.
Appreciate 1
Viffermike1753.00
      02-14-2017, 01:56 PM   #40
Mr Carrots
Captain
Rep
Drives: Bmw

Quote:
i don't like the look of the m2 front bumper at all.

I would love to have the wide rear and the ability to run 18x10" tires tho.
Wide body kit on a 235 answers that problem.

If the M2 rear fenders/bumper could be just bolted onto the 240 with minimal fuss, and the tire limits were just about 'poke' then I'd probably do that.

Being able to run 19's at the back with 275/35 would be great, especially with the 437 replicas

I also hate the front, but if there was an aftermarket version without the 'fangs' I'd be all over that, I really don't like the basic M 'smile' on my car
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2017, 04:08 PM   #41
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
You're turning this into another discussion entirely. I get that you prefer the M235/240 and wouldn't make the switch, but others like myself would. There are different levels of performance car enthusiast, and it's not narrowed down to those who like to track their cars a lot.

To a point, he is. But bryan_f22 is taking one of the arguments against the M2 as a DD and bringing it to a logical conclusion; It's a car that has performance limits that can only be truly appreciated by someone with good fast-driving skills on a closed track.

If one doesn't have those skills, even that performance difference can't be realized and appreciated, so why bother with an M2 as a DD? Because some people want things that have higher limits than they themselves do. If I'm an average bass guitar player, does that mean I should only play an average bass -- even if I can afford that five-figure custom-made Fedora, or a vintage late-50s Fender Precision? Hell no. I want that P-Bass!

(An aside: I'm a proponent of more extensive training for the licensing of potentially deadly machines, including cars, motorcycles, and firearms. Basically, I feel one needs to prove safe and competent operation before owning one for public safety reasons. But I get why such training doesn't exist in the U.S. ... and, so, we have Mustang Cars & Coffee jokes for days.)
Appreciate 4
qnet681.50
bryan_G011164.50
SCCThree813.00
evilalien450.50
      02-14-2017, 04:24 PM   #42
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike
Quote:

To a point, he is. But bryan_f22 is taking one of the arguments against the M2 as a DD and bringing it to a logical conclusion; It's a car that has performance limits that can only be truly appreciated by someone with good fast-driving skills on a closed track.

If one doesn't have those skills, even that performance difference can't be realized and appreciated, so why bother with an M2 as a DD? Because some people want things that have higher limits than they themselves do. If I'm an average bass guitar player, does that mean I should only play an average bass -- even if I can afford that five-figure custom-made Fedora, or a vintage late-50s Fender Precision? Hell no. I want that P-Bass!

(An aside: I'm a proponent of more extensive training for the licensing of potentially deadly machines, including cars, motorcycles, and firearms. Basically, I feel one needs to prove safe and competent operation before owning one for public safety reasons. But I get why such training doesn't exist in the U.S. ... and, so, we have Mustang Cars & Coffee jokes for days.)
I insisted my p-car dealer pay for a 2-day intense driving course for my friend before selling her a GT3 RS. She's 25 and new to high performance cars. Told him I'd hold him personally responsible if something happened to her.
Appreciate 3
      02-14-2017, 05:25 PM   #43
WolfGTI
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 F22,15 E84 M Sport,02 R53

Garage List
2017 BMW M240i  [0.00]
2002 MINI Cooper S  [0.00]
2015 BMW X1  [0.00]
If this is her first high performance car - and she's only had a two day course, then you're responsible not the dealer - as her friend you should have had her start off with something that had lower performance limits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post
I insisted my p-car dealer pay for a 2-day intense driving course for my friend before selling her a GT3 RS. She's 25 and new to high performance cars. Told him I'd hold him personally responsible if something happened to her.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2017, 05:30 PM   #44
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfGTI
If this is her first high performance car - and she's only had a two day course, then you're responsible not the dealer - as her friend you should have had her start off with something that had lower performance limits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post
Trust me, I tried. I really really tried. There's only so much you can do when someone is an adult, has more money than they know what to do with, and the only person they really listen to about such things just died (hence the cash windfall and car buying spree).

I spent countless hours trying to convince her to start out with something like a Cayman, TTS literally anything else to learn on.

It's not like I was buying it as a gift or she was my kid or something. There is only so much anyone car do sometimes people need to learn themselves the hard way.
Appreciate 1
SCCThree813.00