THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Vert owners

06-04-2015, 10:15 PM   #1
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Vert owners

Those of you who choose a vert, what other brands verts did you consider?

I looked up the A3, but Audi doesn't even offer power seats as an option.
Glaring omission.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2015, 11:33 PM   #2
Kiwi
Captain
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M Sports Convertible

Non nothing else worth trying.
      06-05-2015, 12:09 AM   #3
bacampbe
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 Z4 M40i PB

I was looking for a small, sporty, RWD vert. (I'd love a Boxter, maybe a Z Roadster, or even ND Miata, but the wife wanted a back seat.) That combo is hard to come by if you aren't into Mustangs or Camaros (which I am not.)

I looked at Infiniti, but the G37/Q60 was getting long in the tooth, and seemed to lose quite a bit of performance in the vert. Audi was a possibility, but I preferred RWD to AWD. MINI is even worse on that point. Mercedes has a gaping hole in their vert lineup between the SLK and E class.

Last edited by bacampbe; 06-05-2015 at 09:41 AM.. Reason: Misspelled G37 :-)
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2015, 06:00 AM   #4
OpenAir
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Enzo F23 228i

Garage List
2015 BMW 228i  [0.00]
I spent two years driving everything I could and had my heart set on a Boxster...just couldn't deal with the ingress and egress of the car as I'm a big guy (6'1" @ 280lbs). I liked the A5 but it was too slow, the S5 was nicer but I didn't think it was worth the extra money, the Volvo C70 was just that, a Volvo. Didn't really like the feel of the Mustang or the Camaro, too much cheap plastic. Loved the Jag but out of my price range, and the SLK 350 drove like a tank to me. Very nice ride and comfortable for a two seater, but it felt like I was driving a S500...just not the fun feeling I was looking for in a cab. Looked at the Nissan and just walked away, never drove it. I ended up with a VW EOS as this was the most fun for the money at the time as the 1 series had not come out. I was just getting ready to pour money into the VW when the 2 series cab came out and I went for a test drive...drove it home that night and have never looked back!
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2015, 07:14 AM   #5
bimmerfile
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X2 F39

Seriously considered the 2015 A3 cabrio.
Took a fully loaded A3 cabrio for a test drive late last fall when they first started showing up at a local dealer. Nothing about it impressed me. The ride, the feel - even the styling and design looked dated.
If that had been the only option, I'd have kept my 128i cabrio and run her into the ground.
But that's my opinion.
That said, I highly recommend OP go for a test drive in an A3 cabrio before making a decision. Cars are about the biggest waste of money there is, so you have to love it to buy it.
      06-05-2015, 07:32 AM   #6
blitzjb
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 230i Convertible

I previously had:
Volvo XC70
Lexus IS 250C
BMW 128I CV
Current: 2015 228IX Conv.
Once I went BMW, I will never go back!
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2015, 09:38 AM   #7
morgie2
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i convertible

About 15 years ago I decided I wanted a 'vert. I test drove everything (Camaro, Mustang, Mercedes CLK 420, Mercedes SLK, Volvo C70, Toyota Solara, Miata) and nothing fit my wants and needs. My wife said try a BMW. I said no way, because of all the negative "Yuppie" etc. squawking I had heard. Finally I drove one. I knew immediately these guys "got it" as far as sportiness AND daily driveability. I've never looked back, nor bought anything but BMW 'verts since. 2000 325Ci, 2002 330 Ci, 2009 135i, and now a 2015 M235!
Appreciate 1
      06-05-2015, 11:36 AM   #8
shark715
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 X5 50i, '16 M235xi vert

The S3 cab would certainly be worth a look as an alternative if it were available to us here in the U.S., but alas, it's not...
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2015, 11:52 AM   #9
gzvette61
Rep
Drives: 228i XDrive Convertible

I had rented a SLK250 in Florida, and didn't like the AT programming. It seemed like the engine was always lugging unless set in sport. I had my heart set on a Boxster, especially for the manual trans. But we use the car for trips, and I didn't want all the the miscellania (cooler, snacks, jackets, etc.) floating at my wife's feet, nor did I want to stop and get a can from the trunk anytime I wanted something to drink.

That took us to something with a back seat, although more of a package shelf. (we call it the cooler seat, it's not fit for people) From there I checked out, and really liked the A3. Didn't want the A5, larger car than I wanted. With enough options it checked all of the boxes for me, except that it didn't have power seats and memory seats. Really inconvenient for us as my wife and I trade cars alot. I did like their MMI on the nav/radio, etc. better than the BMW. Also would have been a few thou cheaper. Nevertheless, the seats killed it for us.

Went with the 228i vert with xdrive, as my vertical driveway can be a challenge in winter. Didn't consider any other vehicles. Have the same AT complaint as in the SLK, but just either use sport settings or the paddle shifters when it feels like it's lugging.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2015, 03:58 PM   #10
Squddie
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E89 Z4

I drove almost all medium size non-US verts on the market during 2014. I ended up leasing a Z4. The 2-series vert was not available.

I posted more elsewhere and I don't have too much time right now but basically:

4-series vert: almost impossible to find a nice driving one due to F30 steering.

E-class: nice but soft, expensive and not good enough stereo for price. Didn't like the non-turbo v6 and transmission is overly slushy with no lockup even in manual mode.

SLK: way too small (much smaller than e89, no storage), too high waistline and can't compete with how the Z4 drives.

Q50: nice but overbearing safety systems and no trunk.

Lexus IS: only car I out of the set I wouldn't drive if I got one for free.

A5: drove two that were identical on paper, one had a very loose drivetrain. Overall way too VW-feely for me, even the good one. Good practicality. Unless a better steering 4-series drops out of the sky I'd rather do A5 I kinda suppose maybe. Ish. Did not have an opportunity to drive the S5. Not a friend of the B8 platform in general.

6-series: yes it is better than the E-class. A bit.

If you need more ping this thread later.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2015, 05:02 PM   #11
RPM90
Major General
Rep

Thank you all for the great responses and suggestions!

My main choice is the M235i coupe, but I've wanted an convertible for long time now, so I am looking into them before I make my final decision.

Ideally I would like an M235i vert, but my dealer is not selling below MSRP on verts, and they are already priced higher then the coupe.

So I am also considering the 228i vert with Msport.
I love the N55 in my 335i, but for a vert I'd be very happy with the 2.0T as I already love that little engine. Test drove it many times in the 328i and it has plenty of power for everything except for racing a 335i.
As much power as my 335i has I find I rarely use it anyway, and at nearly 50yrs old I don't have as much desire for all out acceleration as much and often as I did.
The only thing I will miss is the sound of the 3.0. It's much nicer than the 2.0.

I digress. The A3 looks good to me. I actually like the old school Audi look, reminds me more of the original A4. Dated? Yes, but still nice.
No power seats is really quite dumb of Audi. The A3 sedan and S3 have power seats.
The VW GTi and Golf R also have power seats. These are all on the same chassis, so what's with no power seats in the cab?
Does Audi think vert owners don't need to adjust their seats from time to time without the acrobatics needed to adjust those manual seats?

I do like the look of the new Mustang, and the new smaller Camaro is interesting.
The new Miata looks sharp to me, and I read that even though it's smaller than the last gen all reviewers say it has more room inside. I always liked Miata's but could never properly fit.

370z is too cramped and the drive is harsh.
I agree MB has a big gap, plus their convertible prices are crazy.
I really do like the A5 cab. It's an old style now.
The leasing is awful on those. The price on a 2.0T is a bit lower than a M235i, but with Audi's awful leases the payment is a good bit higher.

I'll check out the A3 cab just to make sure, but it's still between
the 2 series vert or coupe.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2015, 05:33 PM   #12
bacampbe
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
Ideally I would like an M235i vert, but my dealer is not selling below MSRP on verts, and they are already priced higher then the coupe.
Check around. My usual dealer wouldn't budge off of MSRP. (Actually he came off about $500 a few days after I made an offer). Another area dealer came off substantially more. That was within a few days of the verts hitting dealers.

The one I originally made an offer on sat on the lot for quite a while longer than one might expect for a car that is "selling at MSRP." :-)
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2015, 09:58 PM   #13
angelbones
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: V.O. 228i

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzjb View Post
I previously had:
Volvo XC70
Lexus IS 250C
BMW 128I CV
Current: 2015 228IX Conv.
Once I went BMW, I will never go back!
I'm curious where you rank the Lexus in that impressive list. I ask because my wife traded in her IS 250C last year for a car she now doesn't like (too embarrassed to say what), and is considering a different convertible. She really likes my 228 coupe but is not sold on the 2 series vert. Keeping her options open, but she would prefer not to go back to a softtop. She loved the luxury items in the Lexus, but it was certainly a dog. Were it not for the fact it was in an accident, she probably would have kept it. Interestingly she also owned a Volvo C70, and a Miata hardtop vert too (that was definitely the most fun). As others have said, if you're not into a Mustang or Camaro, there's little in that sweet spot price range, so she's still considering, but would like to know how the 2 compares to your old Lexus.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2015, 09:01 PM   #14
RPM90
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacampbe View Post
Check around. My usual dealer wouldn't budge off of MSRP. (Actually he came off about $500 a few days after I made an offer). Another area dealer came off substantially more. That was within a few days of the verts hitting dealers.

The one I originally made an offer on sat on the lot for quite a while longer than one might expect for a car that is "selling at MSRP." :-)
I did an email blitz today contacting a large number of BMW dealers in the Chicago area including NW Indiana and SW Michigan, asking for best pricing on a 2016 228i vert.

My dealer says the verts are too new and he doesn't want to give up an allocation for anything other than MSRP.
That's ok, but as a 3 time repeat customer I think he's being a bit shitting about that. There are a handful of 2015 verts at some dealers around the area. I asked their pricing as I'd be willing to take a dealer lot car if it has a good discount.
My dealer even has a 2015 228i vert on the lot but won't give me a discount on an order.
They only get so many allotments for orders, and with verts they may get a higher profit especially at this time of year.
I'll keep pushing though.

I got a $500 over invoice on a 2016 M235i. I'd like the same for a vert, but I'd even do $1000 over maybe $1500.
At the increased price for a vert I'm only willing to do a 228i Msport.
The M235i vert gets too high for what I want to pay. I could pay more, but I've never had a vert and in my area there are only about 4-5 months of potentially good use, so paying more for something I may not use that much makes me hesitant.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2015, 06:44 AM   #15
shark715
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
I did an email blitz today contacting a large number of BMW dealers in the Chicago area including NW Indiana and SW Michigan, asking for best pricing on a 2016 228i vert.

My dealer says the verts are too new and he doesn't want to give up an allocation for anything other than MSRP.
That's ok, but as a 3 time repeat customer I think he's being a bit shitting about that. There are a handful of 2015 verts at some dealers around the area. I asked their pricing as I'd be willing to take a dealer lot car if it has a good discount.
My dealer even has a 2015 228i vert on the lot but won't give me a discount on an order.
They only get so many allotments for orders, and with verts they may get a higher profit especially at this time of year.
I'll keep pushing though.

I got a $500 over invoice on a 2016 M235i. I'd like the same for a vert, but I'd even do $1000 over maybe $1500.
At the increased price for a vert I'm only willing to do a 228i Msport.
The M235i vert gets too high for what I want to pay. I could pay more, but I've never had a vert and in my area there are only about 4-5 months of potentially good use, so paying more for something I may not use that much makes me hesitant.
It's perhaps the worst time of the year to try to buy a convertible off the lot because of the weather factor, and the fact that new model year cars just started being offered in the past few days. Can't blame the dealers for holding out for the highest profit they think they can make, especially given that they are not sitting on a lot of units. They don't stock many because there's just not a lot of demand for a small convertible in this price range, and they don't want to get stuck with excess inventory at the end of the season. There's no shortage on cars as they have implied, so long as you are willing to special order and wait. If you order a 2016 today you will likely see your car in mid to late August. According to Truecar you should be able to get a 235 vert in the Chicago area for $1000 off MSRP (and even more if you load it with options), and in my experience what a dealer shows on Truecar is not their best price. Rather than email dealers for their best price, if you are willing to pay $1000 over invoice, I would email dealers and tell them exactly what you want, the exact dollar amount you are willing to pay (sounds like you know what dealer invoice is), and that if they agree you are prepared to order the car today. You don't even need to go to the dealer as it can all be done via email. Hard to believe you won't find a dealer who will jump on that or counterpropose a price close to that. And if that doesn't work cast a little bit wider of a net geographically. For example, if you buy a car from a Milwaukee dealer you need go there just once...to pick up the car. Any dealer will service it for you. Let us know what happens, good luck!
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2015, 08:57 AM   #16
lilike
Registered
Rep
Drives: 228i Convertible

What differences are the 2016 going to have? I am considering buying a 2015 228i, but, should I wait?

Sorry to hijack.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2015, 09:03 AM   #17
shark715
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilike View Post
What differences are the 2016 going to have? I am considering buying a 2015 228i, but, should I wait?

Sorry to hijack.
There are no major changes. Perhaps the biggest changes are to the way some of the options packages are arranged. Just look at the 2016 order and pricing guides posted elsewhere here at the forum. All the details are there.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2015, 09:07 AM   #18
blitzjb
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 230i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelbones View Post
I'm curious where you rank the Lexus in that impressive list. I ask because my wife traded in her IS 250C last year for a car she now doesn't like (too embarrassed to say what), and is considering a different convertible. She really likes my 228 coupe but is not sold on the 2 series vert. Keeping her options open, but she would prefer not to go back to a softtop. She loved the luxury items in the Lexus, but it was certainly a dog. Were it not for the fact it was in an accident, she probably would have kept it. Interestingly she also owned a Volvo C70, and a Miata hardtop vert too (that was definitely the most fun). As others have said, if you're not into a Mustang or Camaro, there's little in that sweet spot price range, so she's still considering, but would like to know how the 2 compares to your old Lexus.
I was only looking at 4 seat verts... The Lexus was beautiful when I first saw it. It was a nice reliable car to drive....but..It is not the ultimate driving machine! When I asked for a new deal when the lease expired, Lexus wanted approx. $50 more a month for the next one. My 1st BMW 128I was much more reasonably priced... Hard top/soft top...I can barely tell the difference when it is rarely in the up position.

I am now in a 228I xdrive vert and cant ever imagine not driving a BMW!
Appreciate 1
      06-08-2015, 09:32 AM   #19
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i, 2018 M3 Comp

I considered a lot of others when I was shopping for a replacement to the wifes car. IS, G37, C70, E350, A5/S5, 4 series.

At the end the only ones that I seriously considered were the A5, C70, 4 series and 2 series (which was not available at the time I originally was shopping for her).

The A5 leased terribly, the C70 is nice looking but not a sports car and the interior design looks like it was designed in 2004 (because it was).

At the end I test drove the 4 series and M235i back to back. The 4 series was a 428 non sport, but I was coming from a F30 335i so I knew what to expect from a car that was basically the same + 500lbs.

The hard top on our demo car broke while driving it. On top of the bigger size, heavy weight, and lack of trunk room with the top down driving the 235i which felt small, nimble, and still had a reasonable trunk with the top down it was a no brainer.
      06-08-2015, 09:52 AM   #20
mcom
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Alpine WT M235i Vert

I looked at all the usual suspects, audi, mercedes, lexus, infiniti, Jaguir, etc.

Totally love this car, am in Houston, and have ridden top down (hwy commute) in as warm as 96 degrees with black interior and no heat discomfort (shocking to me). Absolutely love the convertible, drives like a dream, has as much speed as I want or need (maybe more) decent gas mileage and looks great (to me). Easily the best purchase so far of all the cars I have bought. Driving is an activity I look forward to, not just a commute now!

All of the other choices had missing pieces (interior fit, transmission (mercedes, ugh) size/fit (I am 6'2")) or something else that did not stack up.
      06-08-2015, 09:57 AM   #21
bacampbe
Lieutenant
Rep

That's interesting. In Dallas, it does seem to me that the 2er (black with red leather) is a bit hotter than was my 07 Miata (dark blue with tan top and interior) with the top down. I assumed that was a trade-off for having less wind buffeting, and that the 2er simply had more interior thermal mass to cool down after sitting in the sun. It may also be that the summer kind of snuck up on us this year, so I have not had the usual adjustment period.

Last edited by bacampbe; 06-08-2015 at 09:58 AM.. Reason: added Miata color
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2015, 11:13 AM   #22
dah
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i convertible

As for pricing, several local dealers were willing to do $500-$1000 over a 2016 ED invoice, but of course you'll have to travel and delay USA delivery to October at best, cold in much of the country by then.
Appreciate 0