THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum M240i alarm question

03-28-2017, 06:51 AM   #1
duluthtwo
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 m240i

M240i alarm question

We've had a bunch of car break ins in this area lately.
Will the alarm sound if glass breaks?
If it doesn't, is there a motion sensor that will alert when the bad guy reaches in?
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2017, 09:44 AM   #2
Pigeon
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i xDrive Coupe

I don't know about breaking glass, but when the car is locked, there is an interior motion sensor. It can be turned off by pressing the lock button twice within 5 seconds so be careful about that. The manual explains it better than I ever could.
      03-28-2017, 11:34 AM   #3
Mobil
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i - Alpine White

I think the impact as well as the motion sensor will be triggered in that event.
And remember that Bimmer doors will not open without the key.

As long as you dont leave anything visible, you should be fine...

Maybe I'm being mean, but if that should ever happen to me I hope the broken glass will cut the hell out of the perps arms and torso as payback...
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2017, 12:22 PM   #4
TheCaptain
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: m235i x 'vert

Maybe invest in an impact-sensor security camera, which is like a dashcam that initiates recording when it detects an impact.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2017, 02:01 PM   #5
duluthtwo
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 m240i

Karma will take care of whoever is breaking into these cars. Takes a special POS to not only take other peoples stuff, but to also damage our cars in doing their crap
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2017, 02:14 PM   #6
bimmerfile
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X2 F39

Quote:
Originally Posted by duluthtwo View Post
We've had a bunch of car break ins in this area lately.
Will the alarm sound if glass breaks?
If it doesn't, is there a motion sensor that will alert when the bad guy reaches in?
1. Dunno
2. I believe YES as there have been several instances when I've parked my ragtop with the top down, locked the doors and accidentally reached in to pick up something I'd forgotten in the car without unlocking and opening the doors and setting off the car alarm - and scaring the bejesus outta me.

BTW, There used to be flame-thrower option for BMWs - which could be hooked up to the security systems motion detector - check with your dealer to see if it still available.
http://jalopnik.com/a-flamethrower-o...y-r-1547017088

Last edited by bimmerfile; 03-28-2017 at 02:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2017, 02:30 PM   #7
Benandluna
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 x3 m40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigeon View Post
I don't know about breaking glass, but when the car is locked, there is an interior motion sensor. It can be turned off by pressing the lock button twice within 5 seconds so be careful about that. The manual explains it better than I ever could.
Can Confirm, though sometimes it doesnt work. Sometimes if im putting Gas and i have my pup and run in to grab a drink or pay in cash. Alarm will go off cause little Luna is going balls crazy.

2016 BSM M235i: Fully loaded.
Dinan Stage II Tune, Dinan CAI, Fabspeed Sport Cat, Fabspeed Muffler Delete.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2017, 03:20 PM   #8
msej449
msej449
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M235i Convertible +LSD 2016

Garage List
Yes and yes. Ignore doom-mongers wittering on about OBD port theft - that was sorted some years ago. Ditto keyless being a 'cause' of thefts. 2015/2016 police reports here in the UK say that nowadays, most luxury cars are stolen to order. So whilst it's true that most luxury cars are keyless and it's likely the key is cloned, the car would have been a target for a 'to order' theft anyway i.e. it'd be taken, whatever the locking tech. UK top ten stolen cars 2015-16 were Audi RS3 and X5, then the other big SUVs (Q7, Discovery, Range Rover, Mitsubishi ..) then 5 Series. The 2 Series was slightly below average, if I recall. Police say most thefts involve preliminary theft of the keys from the house and then return at night (lesson here is if you can't find your keys, fine, take the spare set, but make finding them again a priority once you're back home); or people are monitored for a few days, and the key cloned when you open the car. Let's face it, it's much better to have your key cloned than someone threaten violence for you to hand them over ....

And re the internal alarm: Bend down and look at the red light under the rear-view mirror. Press the lock button once and the light blinks. Then press it a second or so later and it will light continuously* for a couple of seconds, and then blink. *indicates the internal motion sensor is off. I have to do this on my convertible if I leave the top down, and owners with pets in the car have to do the same. The manual seems poorly translated from the German and reads rather ambiguously.

If you want to enable the internal motion alarm and immobilier, just press the lock button once, and the red light will blink.

Initially, I thought this was poor design, and it would be good to know if the internal motion sensor was on or not e.g. continuous red light = motion sensor off. But of course, potential thieves would also be able to see this, which wouldn't be such a good idea ..... so you have to be present when the car is locked to know if the sensor is off or not.

Last edited by msej449; 03-28-2017 at 03:40 PM..
Appreciate 0