THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum 230i/228i Brakes any good?

03-27-2017, 09:48 AM   #1
crabu2
Captain
Rep
Drives: Truck and ...

230i/228i Brakes any good?

My build still hasn't been officially scheduled and I'm wondering if I should add the Track package for the better brakes or if the standard brakes will be sufficient.

I don't plan on running my car at any track, but I do enjoy some spirited driving now and then...

BTW, in the past, I've been pretty hard on my brakes on all prior vehicles... As in I've warped plenty of rotors on cars.. I've never warped a rotor on a truck, but every car I've had, I've warped rotors... except on a '93 Nissan Sentra... which cracks me up.
      03-27-2017, 09:59 AM   #2
3.0L
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M235i, 20k miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabu2 View Post
My build still hasn't been officially scheduled and I'm wondering if I should add the Track package for the better brakes or if the standard brakes will be sufficient.

I don't plan on running my car at any track, but I do enjoy some spirited driving now and then...

BTW, in the past, I've been pretty hard on my brakes on all prior vehicles... As in I've warped plenty of rotors on cars.. I've never warped a rotor on a truck, but every car I've had, I've warped rotors... except on a '93 Nissan Sentra... which cracks me up.
What would you attribute your unusually high rate of rotor warps to? Do you drag the brakes down long grades? Keep your left foot on the brake pedal? Some other odd driving habit?

When writing your life's plan, use a pencil with an eraser
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2017, 10:14 AM   #3
crabu2
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0L View Post
What would you attribute your unusually high rate of rotor warps to? Do you drag the brakes down long grades? Keep your left foot on the brake pedal? Some other odd driving habit?
Time is the problem... Life is busy so I tend to be a fairly aggressive driver. Lots of speed and hard braking.

Now it's not like this everyday, but it only seems like it takes one time to warp a rotor... I can go 30K miles without an issue than next thing I know, my rotors are warped.
      03-27-2017, 10:31 AM   #4
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

I've never felt like I was close to brake fade or failure, with some hard driving and a lot of commuting (rare to even invoke ABS, except in the snow) - I have the 228 with stock brakes and suspension, performance summer tires. I think that, at most, a step up to more aggressive pads would be more than adequate for anything other than dedicated track duty. Msports are probably better (if only better looking), but stockers aren't deficient. IIRC, the brakes alone are a pretty simple replacement, so you can add them later if you want - I think the rest of the Track package is the stuff that may be cheaper to get up front as a package (and ironically, I've seen more questions about that other stuff being worse for track use - like the adaptive shocks and steering).

Brake shops will often use the term 'warped rotor' to describe anything objectionable in terms of pulsing or uneven stopping - I'm told it is most often some kind of issue with heat glazing, or failure to do the initial bedding in properly (I've never had a brake place or dealership even suggest bedding-in procedures).
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2017, 10:35 AM   #5
Uridian
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, 228i M Sport

I will withhold comment on your driving habits and life outlook and say only that modern rotors really don't "warp". It's much more likely that you are braking hard/frequently, getting your rotors super hot and then stopping without time for your brakes to cool. This causes transfer of pad material onto the rotor surface which would then cause the pulsation often attributed to warped rotors.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2017, 10:50 AM   #6
crabu2
Captain
Rep

Thanks guys... I guess the base brakes will be fine.

I did do a search on the forums for "warped" and I didn't come across any posts for warped rotors... That's a really good sign, for me, that the base brakes are probably fine...
      03-27-2017, 11:53 AM   #7
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Thanks guys... I guess the base brakes will be fine.

I did do a search on the forums for "warped" and I didn't come across any posts for warped rotors... That's a really good sign, for me, that the base brakes are probably fine...
Now that you're feeling all settled, the Track Package combination from brakes to steering to suspension is a great value and does transform the feeling of the car. Strongly suggest you reconsider if you enjoy "enthusiastic" driving.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2017, 02:25 PM   #8
crabu2
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
Now that you're feeling all settled, the Track Package combination from brakes to steering to suspension is a great value and does transform the feeling of the car. Strongly suggest you reconsider if you enjoy "enthusiastic" driving.
What are you trying to do to me Sportstick? I was all good with the brakes and now you're telling me I should get the THP because it makes the car feel different.

What kind of difference will I feel? Does it handle that much better when trying to run from the po po to avoid a ticket? These days the po po cars are FAST, but I don't think they handle well.
      03-27-2017, 04:17 PM   #9
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
What are you trying to do to me Sportstick? I was all good with the brakes and now you're telling me I should get the THP because it makes the car feel different.

What kind of difference will I feel? Does it handle that much better when trying to run from the po po to avoid a ticket? These days the po po cars are FAST, but I don't think they handle well.
It takes a very nice car and injects adrenaline into the experience. Not everyone wants that, but having driven a base car, this is a noticeable change. Think of it as essentially an M230i.....it's the M240i suspension, brakes, steering, PSS tires...minus two cylinders. If you want to get a feel, drive the M240i for steering, handling, braking, and allow for the engine difference. Oh, and add some quicker steering response due to less weight over the front wheels!

BTW, keep in mind this comes from someone who swapped out the M4 lower control arms for even more steering responsiveness and handling, so this is the aspect of the cars I appreciate the most! What about you???

Also, not sure if it matters to you , but I find the Comfort setting helps alot when my significant other is aboard. She doesn't prefer the Sport experience. Two cars in one!
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2017, 04:24 PM   #10
crabu2
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
It takes a very nice car and injects adrenaline into the experience. Not everyone wants that, but having driven a base car, this is a noticeable change. Think of it as essentially an M230i.....it's the M240i suspension, brakes, steering, PSS tires...minus two cylinders. If you want to get a feel, drive the M240i for steering, handling, braking, and allow for the engine difference. Oh, and add some quicker steering response due to less weight over the front wheels!

BTW, keep in mind this comes from someone who swapped out the M4 lower control arms for even more steering responsiveness and handling, so this is the aspect of the cars I appreciate the most! What about you???

Also, not sure if it matters to you , but I find the Comfort setting helps alot when my significant other is aboard. She doesn't prefer the Sport experience. Two cars in one!
I think I'd be fine with the base but who know until I try it. The reason I say I'd be fine with the base 230 is because here's my list has the last few vehicles I've been driving ... Ram 3500, Toyota Camry, Subrau Outback, and Honda Odyssey. Yup.. that's the list within the last 10 years of auto ownership..

I'm thinking this little 230xi Vert is going to be heads and tails above what I've become accustomed .... Still better is better... so I need to see if I can really feel a difference. I may be totally numb because of these past vehicles.
      03-27-2017, 04:34 PM   #11
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I think I'd be fine with the base but who know until I try it. The reason I say I'd be fine with the base 230 is because here's my list has the last few vehicles I've been driving ... Ram 3500, Toyota Camry, Subrau Outback, and Honda Odyssey. Yup.. that's the list within the last 10 years of auto ownership..

I'm thinking this little 230xi Vert is going to be heads and tails above what I've become accustomed .... Still better is better... so I need to see if I can really feel a difference. I may be totally numb because of these past vehicles.
Perhaps, perhaps not....I see you have not been particularly "chassis dynamics"-oriented! I go back and forth, weather-dependent, between these two, and I feel it every time, as much as I respect the Subaru for what it is!

Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-27-2017, 05:57 PM   #12
yeezy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 228ix, 2018 x1

I think the brakes should be just fine. Only time I had some issue with my brakes was right when was when the car was new and it was still breaking in/I was getting used to it. Otherwise I've actually found them quite responsive yet not harsh.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2017, 07:01 PM   #13
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeezy View Post
I think the brakes should be just fine.
You are absolutely correct. But, for me, if the standard was "just fine" for something related to the chassis, I'd probably be in my Subaru or a Honda full time. For what goes into buying and owning a BMW, and my expectations from the brand, I'm looking for a smile plastered on my face for each drive. The THP delivers that for me.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2017, 07:14 PM   #14
crabu2
Captain
Rep

Just left the dealership.. Test drove a M235 and 230i back to back... Knowing I didn't need THP, I still ordered it.

Guys, do not let me go back to the dealership till my order is here...
      03-27-2017, 07:25 PM   #15
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Just left the dealership.. Test drove a M235 and 230i back to back... Knowing I didn't need THP, I still ordered it.

LOL...the deed is done. You'll long forget the price when you're still smiling during the drives. Congrats!
Appreciate 1
crabu2141.50
      03-27-2017, 09:07 PM   #16
crabu2
Captain
Rep

I post this because I'm worried about the base brakes... I end up ordering the THP, not because of M brakes, but because I just had to test drive a car with it...

I did notice something that was odd.. When you go into the sport setting on the 230, there's an option to set the Chassis, Drivetrain, or both. If the chassis setting doesn't do anything ... at least I didn't feel any change ... why is there a chassis setting? On the M235, there was a clear difference when I played with the setting.. but not on the 230.

BTW, I ordered the THP not just because I enjoyed the tighter suspension, but because I noticed without it, when I goosed the go peddle, the car would nose up like I was in a boat. Oh the other reason was that the tighter suspension really makes the car feel like a roadster.

Now I need to find me some stock 17 inch wheels for the winter...
      03-27-2017, 09:13 PM   #17
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

Quote:
I post this because I'm worried about the base brakes... I end up ordering the THP, not because of M brakes, but because I just had to test drive a car with it...

I did notice something that was odd.. When you go into the sport setting on the 230, there's an option to set the Chassis, Drivetrain, or both. If the chassis setting doesn't do anything ... at least I didn't feel any change ... why is there a chassis setting? On the M235, there was a clear difference when I played with the setting.. but not on the 230.

BTW, I ordered the THP not just because I enjoyed the tighter suspension, but because I noticed without it, when I goosed the go peddle, the car would nose up like I was in a boat. Oh the other reason was that the tighter suspension really makes the car feel like a roadster.

there is a difference... on the 230/28 the steering wheel will still get heavier/softer in the 35/40 you also get the harder/softer dampper
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2017, 10:06 PM   #18
crabu2
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikcachu View Post
there is a difference... on the 230/28 the steering wheel will still get heavier/softer in the 35/40 you also get the harder/softer dampper
Thanks for the info.. When I switched the mode on the 230, it did feel like something was different, but it didn't feel like it was in the suspension. I thought it was just in my head, but now it makes sense why I felt something was different.
      03-28-2017, 12:21 AM   #19
snaketh
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i 6MT

Quote:

After how long from when you place the order can you make changes to it?
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2017, 09:01 AM   #20
crabu2
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaketh View Post
After how long from when you place the order can you make changes to it?
There's a lot of variables as to how much time you have to make changes. But until the order gets an actual build schedule date, you can make changes.

Order status 112 is the magic status you have to be at or below. Based on my current experience, at the very end of status 112 is when the build date is set. So you can be in status 112 and not be able to modify it.

Yesterday when I was at my dealer, I could see on his screen, my order was in status 112 and it was highlighted in yellow, meaning it could be modified. I saw a couple in status 112 that was red, that meant no modifications would be allowed. I still don't have an actual build date schedule, just a build week of 16.

BTW, if you dealer modifies an existing order, by the next day you might not be able to modify it..
      03-28-2017, 09:19 AM   #21
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

Quote:

Several threads on this. I'm running Sparco pro corsas with Conti winter tires, and it handles like a snowmobile - even in the worst weather I'm not getting stuck and only minimal sliding. I chose these as the cheaper Tire Rack option that was still high quality (you can get cheaper wheels, but with trade off I strength/weight; or the sky is the limit if you go for BBS etc.).

And FWIW, make sure you have the summer performance tire option (might be part of THP?) - that way you get staggered width, and they raise the HP limiter to 155 or 160 - but remember that you can't outrun a Motorola
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2017, 09:48 AM   #22
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
Several threads on this. I'm running Sparco pro corsas with Conti winter tires, and it handles like a snowmobile - even in the worst weather I'm not getting stuck and only minimal sliding. I chose these as the cheaper Tire Rack option that was still high quality (you can get cheaper wheels, but with trade off I strength/weight; or the sky is the limit if you go for BBS etc.).

And FWIW, make sure you have the summer performance tire option (might be part of THP?) - that way you get staggered width, and they raise the HP limiter to 155 or 160 - but remember that you can't outrun a Motorola
Yes, PSS is in THP...a good part of the value. Tirerack.com has great winter packages. OP, make sure you specify MSport brakes in the model description, and sugggest a square setup of 17s at all corners. For the wheels, in the specs, look for "low pressure" or "pressure" cast versus "gravity" cast for wheel quality. Take a look at Michelin XIcexi3 for a performance edge among excellent "studless winter" tires or Blizzak WS80 for most ice/snow capability. I have the BBS SR 17" wheels, which do clear the MSport blue brake calipers in THP, and use them for my all season setup. Used Anzio Visio 17s for winter when I had them, before getting the Subaru as my "winter tires" LOL!
Appreciate 0