THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Buying BMW in Canada, and taking it to the states.

03-25-2017, 06:38 PM   #1
abc
Captain
Rep
Drives: 325

Buying BMW in Canada, and taking it to the states.

Originally I ran a keyword search across ALL the forums, for 'canada'.

came up with only 1 thread, about importing a existing bmw.

http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showt...ghlight=canada

so nothing with regards to importing a NEW BMW. I've wondered about this for about a year.

The USD / CAD is a fine savings for us Americans, as it was for Canadians for a few years, which stopped about 2 years ago, and I vacation in Toronto now and then too.

Anyway, with the savings, and the likelihood of a better dealer experience?... I'm interested in putting an order w/ a Canadian dealer, Toronto etc...

Heck, I'd even consider Euro Delivery through Canada...

Just curious, as I'm not coming across any exisiting info for new car purchase, only people MOVING and taking their existing car, I was even wanting to post this to a more general forum, but since I'm focusing on the 2 series, I'm posting it here.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2017, 06:52 PM   #2
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X1/'23 Allroad Progressiv

Quote:
Originally Posted by abc

so nothing with regards to importing a NEW BMW. I've wondered about this for about a year.

The USD / CAD is a fine savings for us Americans, as it was for Canadians for a few years, which stopped about 2 years ago, and I vacation in Toronto now and then too.

Anyway, with the savings, and the likelihood of a better dealer experience?... I'm interested in putting an order w/ a Canadian dealer, Toronto etc...

Just curious, as I'm not coming across any exisiting info for new car purchase, only people MOVING and taking their existing car, I was even wanting to post this to a more general forum, but since I'm focusing on the 2 series, I'm posting it here.
I can't help with the ins & outs of buying and transferring to the US but if you need a contact for sales in Toronto PM me and I'll shoot you some contact details and my sales person I've purchased my last 6 cars from.
'11 Z4 30i (retired);'11 X3 28i (retired); '15 M235i Stage 1 Dinan (recalled & crushed); '16 M235i Stage 3 Dinan (retired); '15 X3 28i (retired); '14 328i (retired), 2019 X3M40i (retired); Loaded '18 X1 (retired); Loaded '20 X3MC DG, Black/Tan Merino (retired); Loaded '23 X1 Cape York green and Red/Black interior; '23 Audi A4 Allroad Progressiv
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2017, 07:01 PM   #3
bimmerfile
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X2 F39

Quote:
Originally Posted by abc View Post

fuggedaboutit.
Most car companies have reciprocal agreements between dealers of new cars (particularly in border States & Provinces) not to sell to residents of the neighboring country. They'll probably not honour the new vehicle warranties or even maintenance agreements. You' have to pay 13% HST sales tax (Fed/Prv); you'll be paying about $5K Cdn for PDI & transportation and admin fees); you'll have to pay for country specific conversion requirements(e.g.my odometer is kilometers only - you'll need something call "miles").. You'll probably pay a sheitload of $$$ & time for transport for U.S. & custom clearance. You may even need to pay NY sales taxes
In all likelihood, you'll end up paying way more than buying from your local friendly dealer stateside not to mention the hassle of the above
Oh, and BTW, good luck with the resale value in a few years when you try selling the Canadian version.
      03-26-2017, 02:05 AM   #4
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfile View Post
fuggedaboutit.
Most car companies have reciprocal agreements between dealers of new cars (particularly in border States & Provinces) not to sell to residents of the neighboring country. They'll probably not honour the new vehicle warranties or even maintenance agreements. You' have to pay 13% HST sales tax (Fed/Prv); you'll be paying about $5K Cdn for PDI & transportation and admin fees); you'll have to pay for country specific conversion requirements(e.g.my odometer is kilometers only - you'll need something call "miles").. You'll probably pay a sheitload of $$$ & time for transport for U.S. & custom clearance. You may even need to pay NY sales taxes
In all likelihood, you'll end up paying way more than buying from your local friendly dealer stateside not to mention the hassle of the above
Oh, and BTW, good luck with the resale value in a few years when you try selling the Canadian version.
New cars are definitely problematic shipping across the border, but low mileage used vehicles are not. My son works with someone who has been shipping vehicles across the border for more than 20 years. They generally deal with Alberta pickup trucks that are mainly sold in Arizona and California, typically 30 vehicles a month. At the moment a loaded three year old vehicle will sell for $5,000 more in the US than Canada after cluster conversion, cosmetic reconditioning, recoding, shipping and cross border paperwork. Some states now require a 30 day hold period at the border to deter poor quality vehicles or dodgy dealers from easily shipping across the border.
Appreciate 1
BMWZ41908.00
      03-26-2017, 12:58 PM   #5
Gabbykat
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 230ix

there is a km to mile requirement. My friend imported her car for a new job and ended up paying $5000 to switch out the part and rented a car for one month plus while Audi sent over the part.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2017, 01:41 PM   #6
amw896
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M235i

Garage List
2015 BMW M235i  [10.00]
Not trying to shy you away from the purchase but make sure u do ur due diligence on both sides of the border. A friend of mine bought a e36 m3 from Ohio when the exchange was favourable for us Canadians. However, by the time he was able to put it on the road, it cost him almost an additional 8k. It was an older M so it needed daytime running light conversions, some dash work and something else. In the end, it wasn't worth it but he said it was mostly due to being old and needing a bit of updating. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2017, 03:53 PM   #7
Elvisfan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 430ix convertible MGM

Bottom line is you are not going to save any money. The specs are not the same.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2017, 08:27 PM   #8
Realdread1
Private
Rep
Drives: 16 235i

I bought my two E82s in the US and drove them back to Canada( one Mississippi and one Maine). An 09 135i in 2010 and a 12 in 2013. Had to be purchased used as it was a pain in the ass trying to talk to the US on new purchase. Lots of speculation. I actually spent more time educating then bring serviced. I only lived an 1.5 hour from buffalo so all services were made in states side. Warranty work was covered in Canada (diff blew).
Luckily the us spec comes with miles and km on the speedo. Idrive turned on/off Drl, emissions was easy, passed with flying colors. Duties, tax paid at the border. Just need to wait 3 days after purchase, submit when i left the dealership. The Canadian bmw Im not sure has km and mph ive been away to long but I dont think it does.
Now living in the US I have left my MY12 with my folks in Canada and have my MY16 235i here in the Us. I have had to import my Fiancé's us built suv. This was a pain in the ass as well and the suv was built statesides. The Canadian government has way more information on importing automobiles then the US. You Need the letter from manufacturers, emmisions test, and we had to replace a $40 part for airbag on and off. Canada air bag indicator has an image vs indicating word off. Her Suv came with km/miles speedo.

Bottom line not worth it unless your collector and its rare or like me at the time. More time than money.

Ps. Have a 2012 fully optioned 135i Us spec for sale in Canada. 28,000 km
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2017, 10:54 PM   #9
Joaco135
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C LBB

OP, it is very possible and not to hard, check in the 1addics forum(1M section). Few people bought 1Ms from Canada and droved them down to the states, the specs are identical minus the KM speedometer but that is minor. Just check this thread:
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1353672
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2017, 11:02 PM   #10
Kolyan2k
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 S2000

You cant import new, only used. Its 2.5% import fee. Specs are all the same I think

I was thinking about doing that last year for some good savings but its not easy to purchase a car without looking at it (for me at least), and dealers were pain in the ass to deal with......wanted to charge me some sales tax and I tried to explain to them that I pay sales tax in USA at the DMV.
Basically I drove 3 hours to NY to check out one car that looked great on pix and it ended up some reconditioned POS, I didnt want to drive all the way to Canada....5 hours to come to something like that. But if you are already there maybe its worth a look

Last edited by Kolyan2k; 06-27-2017 at 07:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2017, 06:19 PM   #11
abc
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerobod View Post
New cars are definitely problematic shipping across the border, but low mileage used vehicles are not. My son works with someone who has been shipping vehicles across the border for more than 20 years. They generally deal with Alberta pickup trucks that are mainly sold in Arizona and California, typically 30 vehicles a month. At the moment a loaded three year old vehicle will sell for $5,000 more in the US than Canada after cluster conversion, cosmetic reconditioning, recoding, shipping and cross border paperwork. Some states now require a 30 day hold period at the border to deter poor quality vehicles or dodgy dealers from easily shipping across the border.
wowow 30 freggin vehicles a month aka 1 per day. say why would it sell 5k more in the usa than canada... canadians dont buy used cars?

thus no 2nd market demand?

fasincating write up btw, very interesting. thankyou.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2017, 06:23 PM   #12
abc
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realdread1 View Post
I bought my two E82s in the US and drove them back to Canada( one Mississippi and one Maine). An 09 135i in 2010 and a 12 in 2013. Had to be purchased used as it was a pain in the ass trying to talk to the US on new purchase. Lots of speculation. I actually spent more time educating then bring serviced. I only lived an 1.5 hour from buffalo so all services were made in states side. Warranty work was covered in Canada (diff blew).
Luckily the us spec comes with miles and km on the speedo. Idrive turned on/off Drl, emissions was easy, passed with flying colors. Duties, tax paid at the border. Just need to wait 3 days after purchase, submit when i left the dealership. The Canadian bmw Im not sure has km and mph ive been away to long but I dont think it does.
Now living in the US I have left my MY12 with my folks in Canada and have my MY16 235i here in the Us. I have had to import my Fiancé's us built suv. This was a pain in the ass as well and the suv was built statesides. The Canadian government has way more information on importing automobiles then the US. You Need the letter from manufacturers, emmisions test, and we had to replace a $40 part for airbag on and off. Canada air bag indicator has an image vs indicating word off. Her Suv came with km/miles speedo.

Bottom line not worth it unless your collector and its rare or like me at the time. More time than money.

Ps. Have a 2012 fully optioned 135i Us spec for sale in Canada. 28,000 km

LOL.... thank you for taking that time to share your info, you paint a picture that does point to where a car needs to be a collectable or your living circumstance dictates you having to do the import.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2017, 06:26 PM   #13
abc
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joaco135 View Post
OP, it is very possible and not to hard, check in the 1addics forum(1M section). Few people bought 1Ms from Canada and droved them down to the states, the specs are identical minus the KM speedometer but that is minor. Just check this thread:
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1353672
thankyou for citing this thread, it's encouraging and clearly it's doable.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2017, 02:58 AM   #14
AbuQutaita
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M240i

Garage List
2018 BMW M240i  [0.00]
I was curious about this after reading the thread, so I went thru some of the numbers to see how it pans out.

Base MSRP for a M240i in the US is $45,445 USD (including destination/handling). Base MSRP for a M240i in ON is $51,114 CAD (including freight/PDI), which is roughly $38,868 USD. The duty would be about $971 USD, bringing the cost to $39839 USD. That's a pretty big discount if you're trying to get the car as cheap as possible. Even if you factor in an additional $1k in travel expenses to pick up the car and drive it back yourself, you're going to save over $4k USD.

A couple things I'm curious about:
1. You said you travel a lot to Toronto, but do you have property there? I assume you'd want to import the car "used" instead of "new", so you'd need a permanent address of some sort.
2. How much is your time worth? As mentioned by a few folks here, this is a time consuming process, and not just the travel time. It may help to put things in perspective, if you assign a dollar amount to your time, since you'd be stuck doing this instead of something potentially more interesting.
3. Are you trying to buy the car at the best possible price, or hit a certain price point? You'll probably be happier with the end result of purchasing a car if you set a goal that fits within your budget, especially if you decide to factor in the impact of #2 above. It's pretty easy to get a good deal on a M240i in the US. I'm in the process of custom ordering a 2018 M240i, and several dealerships are willing to go at least 10% off MSRP.

I ran into a situation similar to this when buying my last car, albeit a much less complicated one. I bought from out of state and used courtesy delivery to save $1k compared to another local dealer. In the end, the extra paperwork and dealing with a dealership that reneged on agreeing to courtesy delivery didn't make it worth it. Would I do it again to save $4k? Probably. But I suspect the hassles to import a car don't scale linearly with $/hr

Last edited by AbuQutaita; 06-28-2017 at 03:07 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2017, 08:21 AM   #15
remolacha
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMWX5

I don`t see any problem with such a delivery. We live in Toronto and our family changed cars twice. We bought a new car twice in the USA. It was quite easy thanks to http://https://clearit.ca/ For sure you can rely on them

Last edited by remolacha; 07-27-2017 at 07:56 AM..
Appreciate 2
      07-22-2017, 09:55 AM   #16
Mr Carrots
Captain
Rep
Drives: Bmw

What kind of msrp discounts do Canadian dealers give? 8-10%?
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2017, 01:29 PM   #17
bimmerfile
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X2 F39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Carrots View Post
What kind of msrp discounts do Canadian dealers give? 8-10%?
4 - 6%.
      08-17-2021, 05:43 PM   #18
2manybimmers
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Rebuilding the stable

Quote:
Originally Posted by remolacha View Post
I don`t see any problem with such a delivery. We live in Toronto and our family changed cars twice. We bought a new car twice in the USA. It was quite easy thanks to http://https://clearit.ca/ For sure you can rely on them
Incredible. Thanks for the link!
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2021, 08:05 PM   #19
Brobeav
Rep
Drives: M240ix vert, Estoril

Thanks everyone for the memories. The halcyon days of 2017, when one could freely cross the US/Canada border.
Appreciate 0