THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum How reliable has your 2-series car been so far?

03-06-2017, 03:19 PM   #133
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by morphomeman View Post
Lubricating the rubber seals will do nothing except leave lubricant on your windows. It's a matter of physics: the rubber gets less pliable as the temperature goes down. You just gotta live with it.
I can't for the life of me remember where I read this or why they did it in the first place, but some forum members definitely used some product on the rubber seals. I vaguely remember it helped with noise as a side benefit, but you'd have to STF to figure out what they used and why. Sorry not to be more helpful other than to alert folks to the fact that there is some good info out there somewhere.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2017, 09:20 PM   #134
cire
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i

My 2014 228 has 70,000km. I use the car mostly to commute 90km to work. I have averaged 6.9l/100km and replaced two windshields. No problems or repairs. My only issue has been the constant squealing of the rear brakes (worse in the winter). Both of my fog lights are broken too - the reality of commuting to Calgary.
Appreciate 1
BM235iW97.00
      03-10-2017, 02:20 AM   #135
jcl89
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i ZF8

Quote:
Originally Posted by haffl View Post
2015 M235xi purchased new on 10/2/2014 as my daily driver.
I have 61,000 miles on it as of today and not a single issue to report.
I plan to keep this car 5 years/150K miles.
I've already performed the following services:
-automatic transmission fluid drain/fill and pan/filter replacement
-coolant flush
-differential fluids (front/rear) replacement
-transfer case fluid replacement
-new Bosch spark plugs
-new M brake pads@ 52,000 miles
-oil/filter change every 6,000 miles

No tune or suspension mods yet but I do have a summer wheel set (BBS Ch-Rs and Pole Position tires).

I eventually plan to upgrade the suspension with Dinan sport springs and bumper stops.

And probably a Dinan sport piggy back. Either the $300 model or stage 1 or 2.

Best car I've ever owned.
Wow that's great man. Are most of those miles highway? What mode do you drive in?
Appreciate 1
BM235iW97.00
      03-10-2017, 11:56 AM   #136
BillD1953
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

2016 228i 6MT basic model....heated seats..backup camera...nothing else.

20,000 flawless miles....never brough to dealer for "fixes"...just rountine oil/filter change.

Engine does not consume a drop of oil !

All good !
Appreciate 1
BM235iW97.00
      03-10-2017, 12:53 PM   #137
pedroF31
First Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: BMW F31 325d Luxury

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post
I can't for the life of me remember where I read this or why they did it in the first place, but some forum members definitely used some product on the rubber seals. I vaguely remember it helped with noise as a side benefit, but you'd have to STF to figure out what they used and why. Sorry not to be more helpful other than to alert folks to the fact that there is some good info out there somewhere.
Gummi Pflege
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2017, 01:42 PM   #138
p912guy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i Convertible

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedroF31 View Post
Gummi Pflege
This rubber lubricant works really well, but you need to reapply periodically if you wash your car, especially the windows, very often.
17 GMC Canyon Denali Long Bed 4x4 (Tailgatin, Haulin & Towin)
various 'one design' sailboats / stinky hockey gear
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2017, 12:02 AM   #139
englishguy84
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 230i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabjoe View Post
28K km is a joke! My beater car is an '07 Camry and I've got 250K miles on it.. Yes a 1/4 million miles and out side of basic maintenance, the only thing it needed as an O2 sensor.

I've run Jeeps, Rams and Fords to over 200K miles too... For me a reliable car is one where I consistently hear of people going 200K miles with basic maintenance. Any new car these days should get 100K miles.. If not, it's not engineer and/or built well.

I'm looking to get my 1st BMW and the reliability is what's scaring me the most. My friends that have or had them all seem to have had small issues like wiper and or window motor problems. None have told me they were stranded on the side of the road, but they've all also gotten rid of their cars once 100K miles hits.. They get terrified for some reason of crossing 100K miles on a BMW. I don't understand why..
This is my first BMW, too. My family had old-school Mercedes from the late 80s through to this year—W123, two W124s, W202. The transmission on my hand-me-down W202 finally started giving up this week (I think) at 194,000/23 years old; my dad's W124 got to 300,000 before he gave it up.

I don't think any luxury manufacturer besides Lexus makes cars that way anymore. I've always wanted a BMW, and I'm cautiously optimistic that based on the available reliability data for the 2 series (and the 3 and 4, which share a lot of parts with the 2) that this car is good for 10 years/100k miles, but there's no way it's an "investment" of sorts that you can semi-comfortably spend a lot of money on knowing that it should be with you for the next 20 years. Something like 65-70% of new BMW and Mercedes are leased. Then there's a CPO warranty for the second buyer. So basically, the cars need to get to 70k miles before the manufacturer doesn't have a high likelihood of being liable under the warranty for repairs.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2017, 01:55 PM   #140
EEBreh
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: "M" 235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by englishguy84 View Post
This is my first BMW, too. My family had old-school Mercedes from the late 80s through to this year—W123, two W124s, W202. The transmission on my hand-me-down W202 finally started giving up this week (I think) at 194,000/23 years old; my dad's W124 got to 300,000 before he gave it up.

I don't think any luxury manufacturer besides Lexus makes cars that way anymore. I've always wanted a BMW, and I'm cautiously optimistic that based on the available reliability data for the 2 series (and the 3 and 4, which share a lot of parts with the 2) that this car is good for 10 years/100k miles, but there's no way it's an "investment" of sorts that you can semi-comfortably spend a lot of money on knowing that it should be with you for the next 20 years. Something like 65-70% of new BMW and Mercedes are leased. Then there's a CPO warranty for the second buyer. So basically, the cars need to get to 70k miles before the manufacturer doesn't have a high likelihood of being liable under the warranty for repairs.
That's funny - my beater is a 30 years old W126 with 80k miles on it. My 2 series has almost 30k miles on it - no issues whatsoever. I think if you go for the basics, i.e. manual transmission you will have less issues.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2017, 02:11 PM   #141
fbsm
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 4wheels

No issues so far......but its so new that it damn well better not have any issues.......

JD power survey came in the mail yesterday
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2017, 01:43 PM   #142
aelarson
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M235i

My experience so far has been a list of small issues. Nothing that has left me stranded by any means. But at the end of the day, it's still pretty upsetting given that this is a luxury vehicle with a luxury price tag that only had 9,000 miles on it when bought CPO. Currently has 14,500 miles

-First issue, the entire driver side taillight malfunctioned. Dealer replaced the entire unit. From my understanding, a wire got fried somewhere. Easy fix all under warranty.

-Then I took it in for the notorious wheel emblem issue. Had 1 fall off, my local dealer refused to replace it because "They like to help out people who buy vehicles from them". Keep in mind I bought this car CPO (bought in Naples, FL but live in Minneapolis, MN). My father also bought his brand new E60 M5 from them back in 06', among several other vehicles. Needless to say, I wont be giving them my business any longer. Later took the car to its competing dealership down the street, they replaced the cap no questions asked.

-The reverse tilt mirror malfunctions regularly. Only the right mirror is supposed to tilt, but they both tilt. The right mirror tilts back up, but the left stays down when you put it back into 1st. So I have to manually tilt it back to its starting position. Dealer replicated the problem, but couldn't find the electrical gremlin.

-The rattles....oh the rattles. Took it in once for a driver side door rattle, which they fixed, and took it in for a rattle in the rear window area. They said they fixed it, but its still rattling. So it'll be going to the dealership again soon to get that fixed (under warranty), among a bunch of new ones. This is my biggest complaint about the car

-Windshield washers stopped working one day. They would work sometimes, then stop working immediately after. Turned out the fluid was freezing inside the tank, so they poured some rubbing alcohol in the mixture. Easy fix, under warranty, not BMW's fault.

-Locking me out of 1st gear. The engagement into first often does not let me fully get into gear, start releasing the clutch and then the worst grinding noise possible. Now I have a better feel for the car, so I know when it locks me out, so I can quickly shift into 2nd, back into 1st, and it works fine. Very annoying, especially if you don't catch it before its too late. Took it in, BMW cant replicate the issue. Go figure.

Overall thoughts: My service experience with my first BMW hasn't been great, but they have given me a loaner every time, so its not all bad. But I'm not keeping the car past warranty because the little stuff would get expensive.

Last edited by aelarson; 03-23-2017 at 02:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2017, 02:21 PM   #143
3.0L
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M235i, 20k miles

Coming up on 3 years of ownership this May. 100% reliable.

When writing your life's plan, use a pencil with an eraser
Appreciate 1
BM235iW97.00
      03-23-2017, 02:32 PM   #144
p912guy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i Convertible

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by aelarson View Post
My experience so far has been a list of small issues. Nothing that has left me stranded by any means. But at the end of the day, it's still pretty upsetting given that this is a luxury vehicle with a luxury price tag that only had 9,000 miles on it when bought CPO. Currently has 14,500 miles
Sorry to hear that. All in all nothing serious, but I can certainly understand your frustration. I would be frustrated too. It makes me wonder if the first owner unloaded it early at 9K miles as either a lease return/exchange, sale or worse "lemon law" return for similar issues. I always wonder about the history of slightly used (low miles and less than two years old) cars for sale, CPO or otherwise.

Hopefully they get all the issues fixed permanently and that's the end of he issues.

When I purchased my M235i vert, I was also looking at CPO 981 Boxsters. The high cost of Porsche maintenance and repair, coupled with a less functional design (no rear seat, two smallish trunks) steered me toward the BMW, even though the Boxster was the "dream car" and certainly more fun to drive.

My experience with used vehicles over the years hasn't been the best. While not our first bad experience, our 2005 Nissan Titan has cost us almost as much in repairs over the past 5 years and 40K miles as it cost to buy. Last year I replaced both exhaust manifolds and cat. converters for $3K and just a couple weeks ago I replaced the rear end to the tune of $3.8K. Add to that a few $1K services here and there for air conditioning and other minor issues. At this point, I am just trying to get through August or September without another expensive repair so I can sell it get a new Ridgeline, Tacoma or Colorado. I don't mind keeping vehicles for a long time when I know their history and they've been properly serviced, but it seems for me buying used has just meant buying someone else's problems.
17 GMC Canyon Denali Long Bed 4x4 (Tailgatin, Haulin & Towin)
various 'one design' sailboats / stinky hockey gear
Appreciate 1
      03-23-2017, 02:44 PM   #145
aelarson
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by p912guy View Post
Sorry to hear that. All in all nothing serious, but I can certainly understand your frustration. I would be frustrated too. It makes me wonder if the first owner unloaded it early at 9K miles as either a lease return/exchange, sale or worse "lemon law" return for similar issues. I always wonder about the history of slightly used (low miles and less than two years old) cars for sale, CPO or otherwise.

My experience with used vehicles over the years hasn't been the best. While not our first bad experience, our 2005 Nissan Titan has cost us almost as much in repairs over the past 5 years and 40K miles as it cost to buy. Last year I replaced both exhaust manifolds and cat. converters for $3K and just a couple weeks ago I replaced the rear end to the tune of $3.8K. Add to that a few $1K services here and there for air conditioning and other minor issues. At this point, I am just trying to get through August or September without another expensive repair so I can sell it get a new Ridgeline, Tacoma or Colorado. I don't mind keeping vehicles for a long time when I know their history and they've been properly serviced, but it seems for me buying used has just meant buying someone else's problems.
The previous owner was an employee at the Naples BMW dealership I bought it from and traded it in to get an M2, or that's what they told me anyway. I know that it inst a lemon fortunately...but if this little bugger keeps it up it may turn into one

That's a bummer about your Titan. All I can say is this: My last vehicle was a 2008 4Runner, bought it used with 21,000 miles, and I put an additional 70,000 on it. Never had a single issue. The only time it was in the shop was for oil changes...or adding goodies (3 inch lift, steel bumper, wheels, etc). You will not be let down by a Toyota, especially a Taco....they're amazing machines!

Last edited by aelarson; 03-23-2017 at 06:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2017, 06:50 PM   #146
tonyec7
Private
Rep
Drives: 228i M Sport

Is it normal to feel the car jerk when going into 2nd gear in eco mode? Purchased a 2014 228i M sport with 41k miles
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2017, 08:39 AM   #147
JCZ3
Rep
Drives: 2000 BMW Z3

Garage List
2000 BMW Z3  [0.00]
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
I have one of the early production (#67) 2014 M235i, have run it hard, auto crossing every season and have had no issue's at all, except for 2 factory recalls. 1 for the in tank fuel pump and 1 for the BMW conceriage module. 19K miles and smiles! Also have most of the DINAN (Stg 3 tune, intercooler, intake, exhaust, springs and camber plates) mods as well, so pushing her hard.
Appreciate 1
BM235iW97.00
      04-01-2017, 09:58 AM   #148
kdog26372
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235xi BSM

Fairly reliable about 2 years in, but some issues:
Wheel emblem came off and dealer wouldn't replace so paid $15-$25 I think.
Back up side mirrors don't always tilt.
Subwoofer has gone out on a few occasions, fixes itself after restart of car...I think it gets overheated or something.
BMW send to car for maps sent from phone to car worked when I bought the car, but then magically stopped working and I've called and talked to "BMW geniuses" and they can't figure it out after a year.
Cooling fan went out and caused car to go into limp mode, replaced under warranty.
Brakes squeak when its cold out.
Exhaust flap broke and makes horrible rattle noise. Took some wire and just held it open all the time. The part connecting the motor mechanism to the flap is missing, so the flap was just floating open and shut causing rattle. Sounds better at start up and I'll fix under warranty at some point.
      04-03-2017, 10:28 PM   #149
Bleeped
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235

2014 26k miles will be 3 years in August. No issues whatsoever other than wheel center cap flying off once. Dealer replaced it. Car has been flawless with zero issues.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2017, 08:33 AM   #150
German1967
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235xi - 2022 992 C2S Cab

2015 18k miles. Only one issue in the first week of ownership where it went into limp mode due to a faulty sensor reading. Software was flushed. No issue since then.
That does not include the three tires I lost die to pot holes and debris, but I cannot hold the car responsible for that...
      04-04-2017, 09:49 AM   #151
crabu2
Captain
Rep
Drives: Truck and ...

What's this thing I hear about having to register the battery, if and when it needs replacement?

I googled it and the on one post it said all F series. On another post, it didn't list the 2 series.

Did I read that right ... that on late model BMW's (inc 2 Series), when a battery is replaced, it needs to be coded/registered?
      04-04-2017, 09:53 AM   #152
fbsm
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 4wheels

My only gripe so far is that the rotors seem to rust FAR faster than any other car I own....and I thought VW was bad........rear brake pads are also not making full contact top to bottom with the rotor....only the inner 50% show signs of contact......
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2017, 09:54 AM   #153
DF
Major
Rep
Drives: F23

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabu2 View Post
What's this thing I hear about having to register the battery, if and when it needs replacement?

I googled it and the on one post it said all F series. On another post, it didn't list the 2 series.

Did I read that right ... that on late model BMW's (inc 2 Series), when a battery is replaced, it needs to be coded/registered?
Yes. It's been that way for a while. I had to do it for my e93. Luckily the battery lasted 5 years. With my current car they repalced the battery for me when I bought it
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2017, 11:11 AM   #154
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbsm View Post
My only gripe so far is that the rotors seem to rust FAR faster than any other car I own....and I thought VW was bad........rear brake pads are also not making full contact top to bottom with the rotor....only the inner 50% show signs of contact......
you should e-mail a photo and question over to brembo North America
Appreciate 0