THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum No crank no start..

03-10-2024, 01:26 PM   #1
akrobert9072
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M235i

No crank no start..

Alright so this has been a rough 6 months but I had been on the road about 6-7 miles and I noticed some smoke in the cabin. Turns out.. my battery was on fire, the cause of the fire was the IBS/Saftey connection on the positive terminal broke and was dangling around which heated up the plastic positive terminal cover which then caught fire.

The car started up and drove fine 2 times after i put the fire out, once to move the vehicle out of the drive thru i was in at the time of the fire and the other to drive to the auto part store for a new battery. Once that battery was installed the car would crank but never started.

I started diagnostic by checking the fuses in both fuse boxes and they were fine, I then replaced and reprogrammed the battery using ISTA, then I replaced the battery terminals that were burnt in the fire. After this I was still having a crank but no start issue. After digging around and trying to scan for faults on ISTA i was getting 180+ faults and some communication issues with my DME/ECU.

So I just recently bought and had a new ECU programmed along with the FEM due to the communication errors.

Now when i scan the car with ISTA i receive the errors shown in the photos i attached. I no longer get any crank to the car, however when i hit the push to start i get a click and the dash etc all comes on as normal.

I am at a major loss right now and just want to get the vehicle up and running. Prior to the new ECU and FEM I was getting air, spark and fuel when it cranked it just would not fire up.

Please if anybody has any idea on what i can do let me know i need to work on this car but BMW quoted me 6-10k for diag and repairs and nobody else will touch the vehicle. (which is bs bmw was just very rude and disrespectful with me)
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-14-2024, 12:35 PM   #2
ferraricare
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

Garage List
2016 M235i  [0.00]
Wow, sorry for your issues! Tough to give advise with so many variables but I would start by stepping back: replacing the ECM and FEM caused a no start, can you reinstall the old units to allow for better further diagnosis?
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2024, 12:37 PM   #3
akrobert9072
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M235i

ferraricare

So I scanned the vehicle and deleted the codes. I was able to get it cranking and there is 20 fault codes now. I believe what i’m looking for is a short/open or a bad ground. Here’s some updated photos.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-16-2024, 10:31 AM   #4
cooolone2
Captain
Rep
Drives: 20' M240iX B58, 01' 330XI E46

Shotgunning parts at a problem is never a good idea. Deleting codes as well. And yes, burn relays, shorted wiring and more could definitely be an issue. Wiring issues are some of the most difficult to identify and fix. I would have asked the dealer a price for "Diagnosis" only and recommendation on what the fix might be and require authorization prior to any remedial work. This way you get to know what the problem is and then can order parts and do the work yourself. Sometimes is worth the cost for diagnostics!

Other than that, Good Luck!
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2024, 10:53 AM   #5
sciamop
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M235xi Convertible

Confirm ground. Use jumper cable to connect engine (alternator bolt) to the ground post (near passengers headlight) then see if it cranks.
Appreciate 1
      03-19-2024, 06:05 AM   #6
Shovelman
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 230i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooolone2 View Post
Shotgunning parts at a problem is never a good idea. Deleting codes as well. And yes, burn relays, shorted wiring and more could definitely be an issue. Wiring issues are some of the most difficult to identify and fix. I would have asked the dealer a price for "Diagnosis" only and recommendation on what the fix might be and require authorization prior to any remedial work. This way you get to know what the problem is and then can order parts and do the work yourself. Sometimes is worth the cost for diagnostics!

Other than that, Good Luck!
Unfortunately shotgunning parts at it may be the dealer's way of diagnosing.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2024, 10:47 AM   #7
cooolone2
Captain
Rep
Drives: 20' M240iX B58, 01' 330XI E46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shovelman View Post
Unfortunately shotgunning parts at it may be the dealer's way of diagnosing.
Well, not really. Because of they diagnose and change a part and it doesn't fix the problem THEY are then left fixing the problem... And if they profess to needing additional parts or repair, they either refund the original or do the 2nd step for free as you already paid for the repair. It's not a guessing game for a dealer, they are supposed to KNOW, lol.

I would never ever submit to a throw parts at a problem methodology with a dealer! There's no, here we could do this but aren't sure.

Good Luck!
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2024, 03:19 PM   #8
ferraricare
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

Garage List
2016 M235i  [0.00]
I'm going to shotgun guess some steps: recheck all the wiring in the fire area, repair as required. Something is grounded out, lost ground or lost power. Not much help, sorry.
Appreciate 0