THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum 2015 228i xDrive Convertible

12-19-2014, 09:10 PM   #1
AFineMan
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 228 IX & 2014 i3 REX

2015 228i xDrive Convertible

Greetings All

Well I ordered it on 12/13/14 (still awaiting the production #), this is the first time I've ordered a car (always bought off the lot) and is a new experience for me. So how do I start off my first post, well pictures are worth thousands of words , so this it what (I hope) it will look like.

I am excited and bummed at the same time. Excited because I'm getting exactly what (I think) I want and bummed because I won't get it for 3-4 months.

I ordered this with the brown top, oyster interior, cold weather package, xDrive (living in NH, these are a MUST have) and power seats (memory seat location will make it easy for my shorter wife).

I will update as things progress and offer my opinion (I know every one has one) but before I do, I must post my experience with cars in my past 56 years (being a no-body in the car world this will be a an average Joe’s interpretations of this car and experience) .

For those experienced in this process and don't need to know the criteria I will be basing my $.02 worth on then, stop reading now and wait for the updates.

For those still reading, be fore warned this is going to be a book

Ever since I can remember I've always loved convertibles, so my first car was a Fiat 850 Spider, and yes (for those who remember this car) I did have relations in this car. It wasn't easy, but at the age of 23 I was able to contort (hope I don't get banned for sharing), OOHH and I also had (my other love) a 1963 Triumph Trophy 500 motorcycle at that time (I would kill to have that back today even with the bad distributor cap and 6 volt power system).

As the years went by (about 4) I went on to buy a an MG midget (and a Honda GoldWing, talk about a contrast) that I did a partial restoration on it but wasn't happy with the out come and sold it.

I then moved on to a Porsche 914-4 (still had the GoldWing). I blew out 2nd gear (I believe it was already gone when I bought it, but didn't know better) and sold it even thought I disclosed the blown gear .

Then I got married, bought a Triumph TR7 and tried to restore it (talk about a loosing proposition), things didn't work out well (car, not marriage) and sold it with full disclosure to a kid who thought he could pick up where I left off (he tried to return it a month later, but I said no knowing I gave him a heads up as to the job ahead).

I then let my friend (from England) talk me into restoring a 1982 Spitfire, I went bonkers on this car (for those that know, I even polished the brass brake line unions then had them coated), so it was a frame up restoration.

But in the end, I had spent so much time on this car (2 years), when I drove I was bummed (it wasn't perfect) and sold it (OOHH by the way I was still driving the same GoldWing and was on my way to being divorced).

Well 1st wife changed her mind and decided she needed a child (even though our marriage was based on a child free life) so, first wife is gone as well as the Spitfire (still had the GoldWing)

2nd wife, Well this was a blip (loneness, lust) but that ended soon (about 1.5 years), Still had the same GoldWing.

As a man in his late 30s I bought a 1972 Corvette (yea I know, don't give me crap), I did a partial restore on it (it was in great shape when I bought it) and I really enjoyed it, but it was (in hind sight) tough to drive.

I then met the love of my life (yea it really does happen), because she got car sick (and the corvette seats are low) the corvette was not a good ride for her, so I sold it, OOHH and by the way, the GoldWing died of old age (there was just too many things wrong to try to keep it going. This bike lived for 20+ years with 69K miles).

So here I was with wife #3, who (@ the time was making good money) commented on how cool the Z3 looked and suggested I buy one (this is why she is the keeper wife), so I did.

I had that car for 12 years (sold it with 39,956 miles on it) and thought it was a wise choice at that time.

OOHH, by the way 8 years ago I bought a Gray Market Smart Car ( I drove the Smart Car during the winter). the contrast between the smart car and the Z was GREAT (by the time I was sick of driving the Smart, it was warm enough to blast around in the Z).

SSOO here we are today, the Z has been gone for 2+years, I would still dive in front of a bullet to save my current wife, motorcycles no longer excite me (funny how that happens) and feel like I'm driving a GoCart (no longer the contrast) Smart Car.

So, that was how I ended up here, waiting for my 2015 228i xDrive convertible.

Thanks for reading (if you made it this far)

AFM

Last edited by AFineMan; 12-20-2014 at 06:37 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2014, 02:36 AM   #2
chaswyck1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i Valencia Orange

Interesting story, beautiful car. Love the color combination.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2014, 07:24 AM   #3
Vervain
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: .

Garage List
The brown roof will be a nice touch
2017 F55 Mini Cooper S
2015 F22 BMW M235i
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2014, 11:35 AM   #4
Boldboy
Rep
Drives: VW Golf 4

Hey AFineMan,

Good choice! I made the same recently but 220D Sport Line. Im not so sure about the "must have's". What did you choose?

Would be good to hear as Im struggling to finalize my configuration
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2014, 11:38 AM   #5
Mark's M
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 Individual

Beautiful color combo, great choice. Love the brown top, it'll be unique as most will likely come with or be ordered with the black top options.
      12-20-2014, 01:21 PM   #6
AFineMan
Private
Rep

Boldboy

My must haves are rather simple (as I've gotten older the list has evolved). so when I sat down to decide what I wanted in a new car, I came up with the following needs.

Convertible was the top priority (there are some awesome mountain roadways here in New Hampshire that beg to be driven on with a convertible). Of course if you(I) get a convertible then there are must haves you need in a convertible.

Light colored seats (you only buy a convertible with black seats once) and heated seats (this adds a month or 2 to the top down season).

Power/memory seats for easy transition between drivers.

Easy to get in and out of (25 years of volleyball has damaged my knees, this one of the reasons I sold the Z, tough to get in/out of a low car).

All wheel drive, this is because I'll be driving this year round and sometimes in the snow, of course this meant I had to add the cold weather package (in addition to heated seats this has heated steering wheel and headlamp washer).

Matching colors, I started with the seat color, then selected the paint color to match the seats, and the brown top matched my color choice better than the black top.

The only thing on my wish list that this car doesn't have is a hard top convertible (when I started this I was unaware the 3 series was no longer offered as a convertible, the 4 series was more than I wanted so I settled for the 2 series).

The performance of the automatic stock 2 series is fine for me (why buy it if your not going to use it, that is why I passed on the M version) .

A few more factors went into making this selection but I've turned your simple question into a book again so I'll end here.

AFM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boldboy View Post
Hey AFineMan,

Good choice! I made the same recently but 220D Sport Line. Im not so sure about the "must have's". What did you choose?

Would be good to hear as Im struggling to finalize my configuration
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2014, 08:07 PM   #7
todd hollander
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 30i

Congrats on the convertible order, I am getting mine soon.
If you care to, go to the BMW UK site and build your car there.
It is an entirely different view and even includes a night picture with the lights on.
Fun while you wait.
Here is my build that is on the ship as we speak.
http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1066518
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2014, 06:48 AM   #8
Boldboy
Rep
Drives: VW Golf 4

Thanks for your very detailed answer FineMan .
Helped out a lot.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2014, 08:11 AM   #9
angler
love to fish!
Rep
Drives: 13: SG 135i M-Sport Cabrio 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFineMan View Post
Boldboy

All wheel drive, this is because I'll be driving this year round and sometimes in the snow, of course this meant I had to add the cold weather package (in addition to heated seats this has heated steering wheel and headlamp washer).

The only thing on my wish list that this car doesn't have is a hard top convertible (when I started this I was unaware the 3 series was no longer offered as a convertible, the 4 series was more than I wanted so I settled for the 2 series).

AFM
Living in a snow state next door to you with 4 snows I have been able to go everywhere with my RWD 1. Not that AWD wouldn't perform better. On the hard top convertible the soft top is nicer IMO. If you haven't had one in a while you will be shocked how warm and silent it is. Congrats and have fun with your new car. Love the way the vert looks!
      12-23-2014, 01:24 PM   #10
VMRWheels
General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2013 BMW F30  [0.00]
2014 BMW F22  [0.00]
2013 BMW F06  [0.00]
Congrats! Can't wait to see it
      12-23-2014, 07:01 PM   #11
shazzy04
Lieutenant Colonel
South Korea
Rep
Drives: '15 F22 M235i

Congrats ! It'll be worth the wait

Mods coming soon
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2015, 09:49 AM   #12
AFineMan
Private
Rep

Update

Greetings All

As I stated in my first post, this is the first time I have ordered a car, I just wanted to know what drugs can be used to make this process go easier (the wait is killing me)

Anyways, recap, order placed 12/13/14, got production number 1/6/15, just called (and spoke with a person at the BMW 800 #), scheduled to be built the 6th week (2/2 to 2/6).

It looks like the timing will be perfect, I should get this late March early April, not long after the snow is gone and just when there are a few day that hit the 60s

Well, off to inventory the medicine cabinet

AFM
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2015, 09:59 AM   #13
CE750Jockey
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '19 M240 'vert 6MT

Quote:
Greetings All

As I stated in my first post, this is the first time I have ordered a car, I just wanted to know what drugs can be used to make this process go easier (the wait is killing me)

Anyways, recap, order placed 12/13/14, got production number 1/6/15, just called (and spoke with a person at the BMW 800 #), scheduled to be built the 6th week (2/2 to 2/6).

It looks like the timing will be perfect, I should get this late March early April, not long after the snow is gone and just when there are a few day that hit the 60s

Well, off to inventory the medicine cabinet

AFM
If you're on this forum, you know that that drug does not exist. The wait is inexorable. But, it's also what keeps ya coming back. I'm also getting a 2 'vert, and I know when it comes back from my ED, I'll be in search of the same drug. Congrats.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2015, 10:31 AM   #14
shark715
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 X5 50i, '16 M235xi vert

Quote:
Boldboy

My must haves are rather simple (as I've gotten older the list has evolved). so when I sat down to decide what I wanted in a new car, I came up with the following needs.

Convertible was the top priority (there are some awesome mountain roadways here in New Hampshire that beg to be driven on with a convertible). Of course if you(I) get a convertible then there are must haves you need in a convertible.

Light colored seats (you only buy a convertible with black seats once) and heated seats (this adds a month or 2 to the top down season).

Power/memory seats for easy transition between drivers.

Easy to get in and out of (25 years of volleyball has damaged my knees, this one of the reasons I sold the Z, tough to get in/out of a low car).

Matching colors, I started with the seat color, then selected the paint color to match the seats, and the brown top matched my color choice better than the black top.

The performance of the automatic stock 2 series is fine for me (why buy it if your not going to use it, that is why I passed on the M version) .

A few more factors went into making this selection but I've turned your simple question into a book again so I'll end here.

AFM
so funny that my story is much the same, including the volleyball damaged knees :-)
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2015, 11:20 AM   #15
chaswyck1
Lieutenant
Rep

You will likely find yourself with a garage full of various parts, mods, etc. long before your car arrives. Buying parts was my drug of choice during the wait.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2015, 01:13 PM   #16
jbenington86
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i, 2017 Tundra

Garage List
2015 M235i  [0.00]
2008 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaswyck@yahoo.com View Post
You will likely find yourself with a garage full of various parts, mods, etc. long before your car arrives. Buying parts was my drug of choice during the wait.
+1

I managed to only spend about $2k in parts
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2015, 06:37 PM   #17
AFineMan
Private
Rep

Another update

Evening All

Well I just finished digging out of 30+ inches of snow ( I live in south east New Hampshire). On a lark I called the 800# and come to find out my car went into production today (1/27) @ 3:18 Am, I was told it will take 5 business says to finish production. The BMW person said the finish date on the computer was 2/6 (that’s more like 8 days) but said that didn't sound correct.

I immediately starting looking at what ships were scheduled to depart around that time and found these

BREMERHAVEN 11/02/2015 NEW YORK, NY 25/02/2015 INDEPENDENCE II
BREMERHAVEN 17/02/2015 NEW YORK, NY 04/03/2015 ASIAN EMPEROR

I figure best case scenario I'll get on the Independence II but more likely I get on the Asian Emperor, I guess it all depends on finish date and wait time.

I wanted to thank those who suggested "Buying stuff" for the car while I wait, each purchase does give you a mini rush ( My wife hates you though, not being a car person, she doesn't understand buying car "Stuff" for a car not even built yet)

Let the fun continue

AFM
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2015, 10:32 PM   #18
RocketJohn
Hookem Horns!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '89 325iX, '95 993C2

This thread. This thread is why auto forums exist. Sharing passion, story telling, cars and motorcycles.

Cool 2 vert! Can't wait for pics!
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2015, 01:54 AM   #19
Kiwi
Captain
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M Sports Convertible

I like your colour pick almost, as you brown top looks good but it will get dirty fast and be a pain to keep clean thats all.
      02-07-2015, 04:42 PM   #20
AFineMan
Private
Rep

It's DONE

:happy anim:: happyanim::happya nim:

Evening All

Well on Thursday I called the 800# to get the message, "Production complete, waiting to be released to the shipping carrier"

Not knowing how long it takes for the car to get from the factory to the shipping yard, I'm guessing it will be there in time to catch the ship Independence II.

I'm also assuming nether BMW or the shipping company build a backlog in the yard (Guessing all the cars in que go out on the next ship). It wouldn't make sense (for BMW) to build a car and not get it to the customer ASAP. They would be spending capitol to then let that capitol sit in a freight yard. Now that the money has been spent to build the car, they would want to be paid ASAP.

Actually, I kinda wish it misses that boat, 2 weeks ago I could see grass in my front yard, now it is under 4 feet of snow with the prospect of another 12-18 between Sunday and Monday, we're getting hammered here the So. NH with snow. Even though I ordered AWD and plan to use the car year round, it would still hurt to drive it for the first time in snow.

I've passed the time (2 LONG months, so far) reading the various forums on this car and in doing so, I've come to realize I'll have one of the first X drive convertibles in my area .

I've also been buying stuff, one of the neatest things (so far) is a WiFi OBD reader I coupled that with a 2 year old tablet (awesome brightness and resolution but slow for today’s standards), it even works with my 2006 gray market Smart car.

I realize this post is nothing but babble and no one other than me is excited, but excited I am.

Thanks for reading

AFM
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2015, 04:47 PM   #21
chaswyck1
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
:happy anim:: happyanim::happya nim:

Evening All

Well on Thursday I called the 800# to get the message, "Production complete, waiting to be released to the shipping carrier"

Not knowing how long it takes for the car to get from the factory to the shipping yard, I'm guessing it will be there in time to catch the ship Independence II.

I'm also assuming nether BMW or the shipping company build a backlog in the yard (Guessing all the cars in que go out on the next ship). It wouldn't make sense (for BMW) to build a car and not get it to the customer ASAP. They would be spending capitol to then let that capitol sit in a freight yard. Now that the money has been spent to build the car, they would want to be paid ASAP.

Actually, I kinda wish it misses that boat, 2 weeks ago I could see grass in my front yard, now it is under 4 feet of snow with the prospect of another 12-18 between Sunday and Monday, we're getting hammered here the So. NH with snow. Even though I ordered AWD and plan to use the car year round, it would still hurt to drive it for the first time in snow.

I've passed the time (2 LONG months, so far) reading the various forums on this car and in doing so, I've come to realize I'll have one of the first X drive convertibles in my area .

I've also been buying stuff, one of the neatest things (so far) is a WiFi OBD reader I coupled that with a 2 year old tablet (awesome brightness and resolution but slow for today’s standards), it even works with my 2006 gray market Smart car.

I realize this post is nothing but babble and no one other than me is excited, but excited I am.

Thanks for reading

AFM
We understand your excitement. Most of us have been there. Just try to hold on to your sanity for the next few weeks.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2015, 06:31 PM   #22
Kiwi
Captain
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M Sports Convertible

I still have 2 weeks to change my order but I did not order leather it's just not great when the top is down and our top will down most of the time.

Sanity! the car doesn't arrive until May and it will be a lot cooler then so the heated seats will get a work out.

It will be good to read reviews once some of the convertible owners receive their cars.