THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum No engine coolant wtf

12-08-2021, 08:32 PM   #23
Zyzzthetic
6 speeeeeeeeeed
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i 6-Speed Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by dradernh View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickies View Post
What make you think you needed a coolant flush? What's your mileage? There is nothing in the recommended maintenance about replacing coolant.
Mike Miller's Lifetime Maintenance Schedule offers perspective on this subject.
During my last service @ BMW, they recommended I do a coolant flush because some contaminants may be in the system and can get to the head. Maybe they were just trying to upsell me lol. My car is a 2017 m240i with 63,000 KM!
      12-08-2021, 08:55 PM   #24
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyzzthetic View Post
During my last service @ BMW, they recommended I do a coolant flush because some contaminants may be in the system and can get to the head. Maybe they were just trying to upsell me lol. My car is a 2017 m240i with 63,000 KM!
Listen, in my book it's crazy out there trying to figure out how and where to best maintain your not-inexpensive car. At a minimum, I suggest to friends that if they cannot accept the expense of having their German car maintained at their dealer, they really shouldn't consider buying the vehicle. That said, it's not always easy to determine what that expense will turn out to be.

To this day I continue to have very well-off friends who are cheap about what they'll spend on a vehicle for themselves. However, they complain to me about the maintenance expenses of the German vehicles their wives have bought. My response is always: join the club.

The only difference in this household is that it's the husband who buys the German vehicles and the wife who never stops asking, whether it's the purchase price, the price of a set of tires (before the last set has worn out, mind you!), or anything else the car has "needed": "HOW MUCH!?!"

As owners of modern German cars today, we are, in effect, challenged to understand quite a bit more about the inner workings of our vehicles than almost any of us would wish to. I know I don't want to get into all of that minutiae, I just want to drive and enjoy my car while knowing that it's been properly looked after. That's why I continue to be a sort of aficionado of what I'd like to think are the highest level of independent shops in the regions that I live in.

Beyond that, and in certain circumstances, we're left in the hands of our local dealerships. Typically (and I do not want to say always) their needs and purposes can diverge from those of us owners.
Appreciate 2
Cos270608.50
      12-10-2021, 09:24 PM   #25
TrboMike
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M240ix

If your picture shows what they put in the car, Prestone European Teal is formulated with low phosphates and designed for BMWs. I wouldnt worry about it. Sounds like they didnt burp the system (its not a BMW thing a lot of cars need to be properly burped after no coolant in system). Top off your reservoir, drive a week. If you have to top off more than twice they left the system very low. If just once, no worries. Check it once a month if you're super paranoid. No reason to run to a BMW dealer and get ANOTHER flush. Crazy talk.

There are thousands of BMWs driving around with that same coolant. If their cooling systems were dissolving Prestone would have been sued out of existence a long time ago.
Appreciate 2
Cos270608.50
      12-10-2021, 09:25 PM   #26
Zyzzthetic
6 speeeeeeeeeed
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i 6-Speed Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrboMike View Post
If your picture shows what they put in the car, Prestone European Teal is formulated with low phosphates and designed for BMWs. I wouldnt worry about it. Sounds like they didnt burp the system (its not a BMW thing a lot of cars need to be properly burped after no coolant in system). Top off your reservoir, drive a week. If you have to top off more than twice they left the system very low. If just once, no worries. Check it once a month if you're super paranoid. No reason to run to a BMW dealer and get ANOTHER flush. Crazy talk.

There are thousands of BMWs driving around with that same coolant. If their cooling systems were dissolving Prestone would have been sued out of existence a long time ago.
Thank you so much for this, I appreciate it mate!