THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General BMW News and Cars Discussion What Does The BMW CPO Cover

10-21-2016, 10:25 AM   #1
YSIK
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 535xi

Exclamation What Does The BMW CPO Cover

I am on my 4th BMW CPO car - 2012 535xi. Purchased it last summer with 28K miles - great running car. Last week as I was waxing it (getting ready for the Chicago winter) I noticed that the paint was peeling around one of the front fog lights and there was another layer of black paint right below that. It seems that it has been repainted badly, over the original paint and is now peeling. Took it back to the sales rep and he said that since it's been over a year it my responsibility they will not do anything. The BMW Customer Service Supervisor told me that this is the responsibility of the dealership and they will not get involved -- what is my recourse ? the CPO expires June 2018 !

Any advice would be welcome.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2016, 10:26 AM   #2
Delta0311
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi E92 2016 228xi

From my understanding wear and tear is not covered .
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2016, 12:13 PM   #3
Dracon
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by YSIK View Post
I am on my 4th BMW CPO car - 2012 535xi. Purchased it last summer with 28K miles - great running car. Last week as I was waxing it (getting ready for the Chicago winter) I noticed that the paint was peeling around one of the front fog lights and there was another layer of black paint right below that. It seems that it has been repainted badly, over the original paint and is now peeling. Took it back to the sales rep and he said that since it's been over a year it my responsibility they will not do anything. The BMW Customer Service Supervisor told me that this is the responsibility of the dealership and they will not get involved -- what is my recourse ? the CPO expires June 2018 !

Any advice would be welcome.

Thanks
Paint isn't covered by CPO.

http://www.bmwusa.com/standard/conte.../warranty.aspx
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2016, 12:15 PM   #4
GottWhat
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i MT Sport

Here is a recent article about CPO vehicles: How Much Can You Trust a "Certified Pre-Owned" Car?
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2016, 07:32 PM   #5
Kabrich
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 AH3 (335IH) 3F93 MSport

Very little is actually covered with CPO considering what is covered with initial warranty and ESC warranties.

It's really only a sales gimmick.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2016, 07:57 PM   #6
SakhirM4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 SO M4/'20 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW Z4 M40i  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [8.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabrich View Post
Very little is actually covered with CPO considering what is covered with initial warranty and ESC warranties.

It's really only a sales gimmick.
Totally disagree with your experience. I have had three BMW CPO cars and the warranty was great. BMW certified pre-owned treatment tacks 2 years and 50,000 miles onto the original factory bumper-to-bumper warranty for a new total of 6 years or 100,000 miles. The warranty is fully transferable, and comes with a $50 deductible per visit. It covers exactly the same things as the original warranty.
Tejas Chapter, BMW CCA, mem #23915, President 27 years, www.tejaschapter.org
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2016, 09:14 PM   #7
Kabrich
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 AH3 (335IH) 3F93 MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakhirM4 View Post
It covers exactly the same things as the original warranty.
That is 100% incorrect which any BMW Dealer can tell you if you do not believe Internet forums.

A simple reading of the CPO Brochure states:

What is not covered

Upkeep items: Maintenance; engine, transmission and body adjustments; wheel alignment, balancing or rotation; wiper blade inserts; engine drive belts; spark plugs; lters; fuses; all batteries; all hoses and clamps (except air conditioning and power steering); oils, lubricants, fluids, refrigerants and coolants (except as required in the course of a covered repair); brake pads and rotors; brake shoes and drums; manual transmission clutch assemblies; suspension dampers (shock absorbers/strut elements); exhaust systems; tires.

Wear and use: All wear-and-use items as defined in “The Certifed Pre-Owned BMW Vehicle Program Consumer Information Statement” for Certifed Pre-Owned BMWs (including all suspension parts and components).

Body and interior: Paint; glass; headlights; bulbs (except instrumentation); mirrors; lenses; body and chassis; body seals and gaskets; interior and exterior trim, moldings and fasteners; upholstery, headliner, carpeting, door and trunk mats; convertible top (all components except electronics); air or water leaks; wind or body noises; wheels; damage due to rust, corrosion or contamination except as covered by the BMW New Vehicle Rust and Corrosion Perforation Warranty.

Accessories: Radio/CD (or cassette) player, telephone, navigation system, CD changer, DVD player or any components of those systems, plus non-original equipment parts, components or accessories.

Last edited by Kabrich; 10-24-2016 at 09:22 PM..
Appreciate 0