THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Help me pick out my new M235i!

08-06-2015, 12:25 PM   #23
EternalVendetta
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '16 M235i 6MT / '19 Model 3 SR

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjroch View Post
Driver Assistance is nice for pulling into 90 degree parking spots with tall curbs. They show up on the sonar display pretty reliably if they're tall enough to damage your bumper.

Technology package is not to be missed. I thought I didn't want it until I actually started using it. iDrive control of Spotify, Audible, etc is great. The nav system is better than most smartphone nav apps, too...especially with nav turn info/prompts on the dash.
That is the exact reason that I opted for the Driver Assistance package - I had an unpleasant experience with a rental car and a parking block relatively recently. I just hope that I can get used to pressing the sensor button before pulling into a spot with a block. The backup camera in the package is a nicety that I think one might appreciate more if one had small children and pets. I think that, starting in MY 2018, all cars sold in the US will be required to have this.

OP: the only other package on your list that I'd consider is the Tech package, which I opted for myself. While I do think Google Maps on a smartphone works quite well, I thought it was worth the (modestly ridiculous) ~$2K to upgrade the screen (not a fan of how the standard screen looks) and instrument cluster, and the other stuff will be fun to mess around with.

My guess is that the M2 base price will be something around $53-55K, and I imagine that one would have to pay MSRP or even above it for the first several months following its launch. If you're not in a rush, this could be an option if this falls within your budget. You'd also be able to see if the LCI refresh (M240i) happens with the 2017 models as rumored; I think I would have waited if my car wasn't about to crap out on me.

If your heart's set on a 6MT, then you can perhaps look into European Delivery; you have to pay for airfare/food/hotel, but you end up with a new, configured-to-your-tastes BMW at ~15% off US MSRP, and (based on everything that I've read) you'll have had a pretty awesome experience (I'm doing this next month!).

Good luck with your decision!
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2015, 01:18 PM   #24
rjroch
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB

Even if there are just kids and pets in your neighborhood, not your house, you will probably appreciate the camera/sonar someday.

Pressing the button to activate the system is a little annoying, but eventually it becomes habit. Also, it's pretty much habit for me to deactivate auto start/stop when parking at this point. I wish it would just turn itself off when the parking sensors are active. As you're inching into a spot, if you get just a bit too aggressive with the brakes, the engine will stop/start for no good reason.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2015, 03:35 PM   #25
tadmcmichael
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

Will have to look up European Delivery details. My wife goes to Europe 4 or 5 times a year, so it may make sense. How many miles does she have to put on it? The sales guy also mentioned Spartanburg delivery. What is that? I am in Atlanta, so not a far drive.

Didn't spend a whole bunch of time listening to the HK sound system, but I thought it sounded pretty good for a stock system. Was surprised at all of the hate and discontent for it. Will look through some old threads to see if it's better to go with the stock "HIFI" and upgrade the speakers instead.

Might cave in on the backup camera. That is a good point about kids in the neighborhood, etc. I also have a pet chupacabra that doesn't have very good car sense. Seems like there should be a setting so it defaults to being on whenever you put into reverse?

Still on the fence with regards to the "Tech" Package. On one hand, I don't drive many unfamiliar places with my car. When I do, it would seem just as easy to use Waze as anything else? And while the current nav package is state of the art, how will it look in 5 or 6 years? With the Pandora, Spotify, and other built in apps, how do they work? Does it use cell phone data from my phone to stream the data? What's the advantage vs. just streaming Pandora from my phone?
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2015, 07:51 PM   #26
tadmcmichael
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

Thanks for the 2016 price list FlyingScot. True enough, the "Premium Pack" looks standard now for the $44,150 price. However, the leather is no longer included in the premium package. So looks like the price of the car went up about a grand unless I get "Sensatec." I am not opposed to synthetic materials, but reviews seem mixed about the feel of that material. Looks like Oyster/Black Sensatec are an option this year.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2015, 09:43 PM   #27
MrBones93
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i xDrive

Search "Performance Center Delivery" or simply "PCD". Lost of threads on that too. If you don't do ED, definitely do PCD. It's a great day of driving and learning about BMW's.
Appreciate 0