THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum M235iX Cabrio Front Lip Fittement Non-Compatibility

02-28-2017, 07:27 AM   #1
Cumberlandjames
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i Xdrive cabriolet

M235iX Cabrio Front Lip Fittement Non-Compatibility

Hi, Was looking into adding the M-Perf front lip to my car but dealer tells me BMW lists them as incompatible with the Cabrio. Parts guy had called into BMW but they didn't really provide any info specifically why they had issues with installation. I am wondering if it possibly blocks airflow to some of the many rads and coolers. I thought that structurally coupe and Cabrio were the same and everything would be installed in the same location.
Has anyone installed one on theirs? I would love to hear from some of the companies who sell them to see if they have examine convertible installation for compatibility.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2017, 07:41 AM   #2
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumberlandjames
Hi, Was looking into adding the M-Perf front lip to my car but dealer tells me BMW lists them as incompatible with the Cabrio. Parts guy had called into BMW but they didn't really provide any info specifically why they had issues with installation. I am wondering if it possibly blocks airflow to some of the many rads and coolers. I thought that structurally coupe and Cabrio were the same and everything would be installed in the same location.
Has anyone installed one on theirs? I would love to hear from some of the companies who sell them to see if they have examine convertible installation for compatibility.
Not sure on lip but vert is not just a coupe with the top cut off. There are many extra structural pieces added for rigidity. Don't see why lip wouldn't work though just have your dealer order it and test fit it.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2017, 07:48 AM   #3
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

I think there are some differences with front radiators ('verts don't get all the extra oil coolers, IIRC), but doubt that would interfere. Probably just that the dealership is confusing 'not available on a convertible' with 'won't fit'.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2017, 09:21 AM   #4
p912guy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i Convertible

Garage List
For some reason, both the MP Front Lip and MP Rear Spoiler are not listed as compatible with the M235i or M240i convertible (not sure about 228 / 230, but suspect the same). Even so, I know many folks have had these items installed on their convertibles. I am guessing it has more to do with air flow characteristics of those added features being constant and tested on a coupe and variable on a convertible, top up vs top down. If you read the info on each of these, BMW recommends when adding one to your vehicle, to also add the other for proper balance. As a vert owner, I'd be interested in hearing about fitment of each of these items (front lip spoiler and rear spoiler) along with any perceived performance change they may have noticed.. I like the look of both.
17 GMC Canyon Denali Long Bed 4x4 (Tailgatin, Haulin & Towin)
various 'one design' sailboats / stinky hockey gear
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2017, 09:25 AM   #5
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by p912guy
For some reason, both the MP Front Lip and MP Rear Spoiler are not listed as compatible with the M235i or M240i convertible (not sure about 228 / 230, but suspect the same). Even so, I know many folks have had these items installed on their convertibles. I am guessing it has more to do with air flow characteristics of those added features being constant and tested on a coupe and variable on a convertible, top up vs top down. If you read the info on each of these, BMW recommends when adding one to your vehicle, to also add the other for proper balance. As a vert owner, I'd be interested in hearing about fitment of each of these items (front lip spoiler and rear spoiler) along with any perceived performance change they may have noticed.. I like the look of both.
Spoiler works but it's not a perfect fit. Looks fine though just doesn't like up as nicely as on coupe. I test fit one and was happy with it but decided against it. I have BSM and there wasn't a great contrast for the CF plus there are the two antennas back there was a lot going on. Looks really good on other colors though. Decided to spend my CF budget on a Dinan intake instead.

Call Brian at Sun BMW he has fit a number of them and will give you the best price.
Appreciate 0