THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Headliner + Center console creaks

02-27-2017, 09:36 PM   #1
xojustin
schmember
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M235i AW/BLK

Headliner + Center console creaks

So I noticed if I push on my headliner (where the lights / sos button is) it feels super loose / flimsy and makes annoying creaking / water bottle crunching noises. It'll sometimes make noise when hitting bumps or just normal driving for no reason.

Also noticed the middle part of my dash (where the climate controls and CD player are) makes constant creaking / crunching noises. A lot when the car is first started but then is pretty continual during my drive. The piece I'm referring to is the glossy plastic border. Pressing on it re-creates the noise. Also noticed that the bottom part of it is separated from the rest of the dash (is this normal?) it like bows out at the bottom then goes back into the dash on the edges.

Any input would be appreciated. It seems like in the last month this car developed a thousand annoying noises out of nowhere.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2017, 11:25 AM   #2
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

Sounds like time for a trip to the dealer - that all sounds like things working loose, not standard. Sometimes they break clips on the assembly line, and it takes a while to work loose - if you start poking around, and there are broken bits, you'll get into a 'who's fault was it' scenario that can't be good. My 228 is a '16 and is still solid, only rattles are stuff I haven't bolted down in the cubbies. These interiors do throw sound like crazy, so it can take some trialing to be sure you know where the creaks are actually coming from.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2017, 05:37 PM   #3
xojustin
schmember
United_States
Rep

Yeah, I've been able to de-bunk a few noises due to stuff left in the car (and the car throwing sound)...but these are for sure coming from those areas (especially when I can recreate them by just touching the part of the car).

I love this car but some of the little annoying interior noises drive me completely crazy. Especially when you go over a bump and it sounds like something inside the car is about to break haha.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2017, 12:06 PM   #4
xojustin
schmember
United_States
Rep

Video's attached!

ANYONE?! Literally this car makes more noise than any other BMW I've ever owned.

Just normal driving on a smooth road and you'll hear just little popping / creaking / etc sounds coming from all over the interior whether it's the Dash, Steering Wheel, or Headliner. It's pretty consistently inconsistent (meaning I can't recreate it but it will happen every few minutes or so in different areas of the car).

It's driving my insane to the point where I don't even want to drive the car anymore. Has no one else had these issues? Is the center dash / din area not seated correctly (see my original post)? Is my headliner missing some clips / is it not attached correctly? I find it so hard to believe I'm dealing with such ridiculous noises from a $50k car.

Ok, video time!:

Center / Dash not seated correctly:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/6xz1dlusv5...ation.mov?dl=0

Center / Dash noises (popping sounds):
https://www.dropbox.com/s/oldt7ikg2g...Noise.mov?dl=0

Headliner noises (re-creating):
https://www.dropbox.com/s/r7p8d2kvsw...Noise.mov?dl=0

Note: Wheels / Engine / Tranny / Tires / Suspension is all working flawless and the exhaust sounds amazing. The fact that this car is so well made but the interior is so crappily put together makes this even more depressing.

Last edited by xojustin; 03-02-2017 at 12:11 PM.. Reason: added video
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2017, 01:20 PM   #5
Digitalprty
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: (pending) 2024 M2

I've been noticing some interior creaks/squeaks lately while driving on the highway. Like you said, it's consistently inconsistent, not constant.

I haven't tried figuring out where it's coming from though (since I'm traveling at highway speeds). It doesn't happen every day, so it hasn't bothered me enough to troubleshoot where it's coming from, but when I do hear it, I want to pull my hair out.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2017, 02:09 PM   #6
xojustin
schmember
United_States
Rep

Digitalprty Check out the videos I posted, see if you suffer from any of those issues
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2017, 04:18 PM   #7
kevinf
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 228i

I have the same noise with the dome light and front map light when i press against it. I get some squeaky noise from the headliner rubbing with the plastic housing for the lights.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2017, 02:46 PM   #8
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C 6MT, Tesla 3

Yeah my interior quality isn't so hot. Lots of creaking. I've just got used to it. My driver side door (interior) will partially come undone if I close the door too hard.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2017, 12:10 AM   #9
moldcad
Major
Poland
Rep
Drives: M235i

Interestingly, my 2 years old M235i is still as solid as a rock. Would they loosen up the QC criteria in the meantime?

I'm not saying none of those places shown in the videos wouldn't creak when pressed (I will never try or I would spoil my well-feeling) - but what's important, nothing creaks/rattles even on a bumpy road.

Now, must find some time finally to get away with the only annoying sound in my car - the artificially generated, droning engine/exhaust noise... So silly

Piotr
my RWD pirate & long-distance cruiser: 2015 M235i AT8, LSD
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2017, 04:08 PM   #10
geep81
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by moldcad View Post
Interestingly, my 2 years old M235i is still as solid as a rock. Would they loosen up the QC criteria in the meantime?

I'm not saying none of those places shown in the videos wouldn't creak when pressed (I will never try or I would spoil my well-feeling) - but what's important, nothing creaks/rattles even on a bumpy road.

Now, must find some time finally to get away with the only annoying sound in my car - the artificially generated, droning engine/exhaust noise... So silly

Piotr
My 2016 M235 is also solid. And I am normally one who is afflicted by squeaky interiors.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2017, 08:42 PM   #11
Firebirdof06
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M235i Vert

I had them rip apart my old 3 series a few years ago because of rattles. Took 2 or 3 trips before they finally worked on it

They applied felt tape to all the contact points...mostly resolved it.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2017, 11:05 AM   #12
xojustin
schmember
United_States
Rep

Yeah aside from the videos above, my sunshade is now making this extremely high pitched popping noise anytime you hit a bump or bumpy road (or just randomly) and my dash seems like it's popping out more and more each day.

I don't think I've ever owned such a noisy car in my life. I feel like the build quality of the interiors of BMW's have completely gone to shit.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2017, 01:03 PM   #13
SteveAustin
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 228i

I've mentioned this before in another thread but the majority of rattling that sounds like it's from the passenger door is actually your glovebox latch. I press and hold on it and rattles are gone. It's really deceptive and difficult to find some rattles but next service I'm going to have this glovebox latch fixed.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2017, 08:02 PM   #14
xojustin
schmember
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveAustin View Post
I've mentioned this before in another thread but the majority of rattling that sounds like it's from the passenger door is actually your glovebox latch. I press and hold on it and rattles are gone. It's really deceptive and difficult to find some rattles but next service I'm going to have this glovebox latch fixed.
I'll inspect the glovebox. Do you have a picture of what to look for?

And I'm going to just have the dealer replace my sunroof shade because it seems like I'm the only person with this issue of it making weird "popping" sounds.

I'll ask again though, does anyone else's center dash "stick out"? The bottom near the shifter, my "glossy black paneling" bows out at the bottom. It also makes a TON of noise from normal driving / standing still / etc.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2017, 09:42 PM   #15
kevinf
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 228i

that plastic from your first video below the glossy black trim definitely should be flushed and snapped in. Mine does not come out like that. I do have the occasional squeak, creak or pop while driving though
Appreciate 0