THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum What is this hanging cable on the wind deflector??

03-29-2024, 01:59 PM   #1
NKOTB2015
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Lexus LS460, Toyota Sequoia, B

What is this hanging cable on the wind deflector??

So...I have this wite hanging from the wind deflector...I figured it's some sorta tension cable to retract the pins to install/Uninstaller the defector on to the car but when I pull on it, nothing happens with the pins.

So, what is it for and is there a way to fix it? I'm tempted to just cut it off but wanted to ask here first. Any input would be appreciated!

P.S. I need to remove the 2nd row headrests.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-29-2024, 07:49 PM   #2
cdn240cab
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: M240 Cab

It's probably part of the locking mechanism or spring to keep it open. I wouldn't recommend cutting it. Talk to your dealership.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2024, 02:54 PM   #3
jzeiler4
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M240i xDrive vert

The thing will fold at the joints to allow removal. I do like the fact you have a knob to undo the rear pins to flip up the base to stow luggage underneath it. That spring may be from the internal area that holds the unit flat after you unfold it. May as well cut it off as I don't think there is a way to put it back inside and have it work.

On the head restraints, if there is a button on the seat where they go in, press it and pull up otherwise just pull up strongly and be ready for them to hit you in the face when they come out DAMHIK.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2024, 10:17 PM   #4
NKOTB2015
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Lexus LS460, Toyota Sequoia, B

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler4 View Post
The thing will fold at the joints to allow removal. I do like the fact you have a knob to undo the rear pins to flip up the base to stow luggage underneath it. That spring may be from the internal area that holds the unit flat after you unfold it. May as well cut it off as I don't think there is a way to put it back inside and have it work.

On the head restraints, if there is a button on the seat where they go in, press it and pull up otherwise just pull up strongly and be ready for them to hit you in the face when they come out DAMHIK.
I think im just gonna cut it off. It doesn't seem to have any effect on the functionality of the deflector.

As for the 2nd row headrest, I popped the mechanism housings (ones that cover up the headrest guides) and pulled the clips that lock the headrests in place. Headrest came right out.

Thx for your feedback.
Appreciate 1
jzeiler4320.00